Large Plume of Smoke Raises Concerns – Officials Say Nothing to Worry About

HERNANDO – Officials say there’s nothing to worry about, after several concerned citizens reported a large plume of smoke in the area of the Chassawitzka Wildlife Preserve.

According to Hernando County Fire Rescue officials, Southwest Florida Water Management District is conducting a 160 acre controlled burn in the area.

The fire could cause hazy conditions around the western part of the county throughout the evening.

Fire 1 fire 2

Comments
  • I remember the last controlled burn got out of control because of wind….why don’t they let nature do it????I.E….thunder storms…daaah!!!!

Saturday, 5 September 2015, 9:54 pm
  • So, they set fires on purpose, to prevent accidental fires, which I completely understand, the first thing I do when I get a new car, is to hit a tree with it, thus cleverly preventing some idiot from running into it. I bet they start 50 times more fires than what would happen naturally. It is now against the law to smoke in a car with someone under 18 in it, BUT the state can subject everyone, those under 18, infants, elderly and the sick, to their dose of particulate matter and it is all just fine and dandy? Prescribed burns are not natural, so, in the long run and in the grand scheme, they do not benefit nature.

Saturday, 5 September 2015, 1:27 pm
  • The only controlled burns in NY is a bunch of crackheads getting high. They don’t know what a controlled burn is

Friday, 4 September 2015, 7:09 pm
  • Really people always has to be spring hill moaners complaining get a life

Friday, 4 September 2015, 10:23 am
  • This is a normal Florida practice. it has been done here before there was a Spring Hill. I will rejuvenate the habitat for the wildlife in just a little while. Control is a word for managed, it will help limit forest fires which are not so controlled as most will acknowledge. The ole saying, if you can’t take the heat stay out of the kitchen comes to mind, if it bothers you just stay in side and in a day or so it will all be over and yu can go back to life as normal.

Friday, 4 September 2015, 8:33 am
  • all over mariner and northcliff cant breath right… thanks for the warning HERNANDO… or should I say SPRING HELL!!!!!!

Friday, 4 September 2015, 6:52 am
  • I was talking to my neighbors dog earlier and he said its nothing more than burning hallucinogens. Said there’s nothing to worry about

Friday, 4 September 2015, 4:02 am
  • I have severe COPD and it really bothers me when I have to take my dog out to potty..

Friday, 4 September 2015, 12:32 am
  • It was over explorer k-8 we weren’t a loud outside at allow

Friday, 4 September 2015, 12:13 am
  • ashes were falling by Northcliffe and Mariner this afternoon

Friday, 4 September 2015, 12:00 am
  • Why couldn’t they do it when there was rain in the forecast? Why couldn’t they announce it in the news beforehand?. I suggested that a little while ago. I guess it fell on deaf ears. Again, it is the Hernando County residents, the taxpayers, who are the last to find out. Big secrete, I guess.

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 10:40 pm
    • How do you do a controlled burn when there’s rain in the forecast to wash the fire out?

Friday, 4 September 2015, 4:45 am
  • control burn on a hot summer day are they stupid .what knucklehead thought that ine up.

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 8:58 pm
  • I think the whole premise of controlled burns is bull. The alleged benefits are dubious, but people with health issues suffer. Are not people being harassed in some places by code enforcement(not local) over barbecue smoke?

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 8:21 pm
  • Why do they always seem to do these controlled burns on days the wind is blowing on shore,instead of days smoke wouldn’t be an issue blowing west towards the gulf. For those interested at my house by spring hill drive and Coronado, i found ash, actual peices of burned plants on my car from the fire

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 7:37 pm
  • Those poor animals in that area. How do you control a fire for god’s sake? So many ashes for miles, gives my sinuses a beating…

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 7:36 pm
  • It affected me with my respiratory problem. What about the ashes, it was all over spring hill!!!

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 6:16 pm
  • will is affect people with respiratory problem?

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 5:40 pm
  • I love the way they say don’t worry about it. How about telling us what it is

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 4:34 pm
  • Darn thought it was a meth house next time

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 3:43 pm
  • Well in Spring Hill the smell of smoke is very bad and ashes are falling from the sky.

Thursday, 3 September 2015, 2:46 pm