Local Business Questions Legitimacy of Cancer Donation Box

BROOKSVILLE – According to a recent Federal Trade Commission report, four cancer charities are charged with bilking nearly $200 million from consumers. According to officials, Cancer Fund of America, Cancer Support Services, Inc., Cancer Fund of America Inc., and Breast Cancer Society Inc. claimed donations were used to pay for medications, Hospice Care, and other services – but they were actually lining the pockets of Corporate Officers.

Last week, Gary Nagel, the manager of a local auto parts store contacted RNRF, voicing concerns over a lollipop charity donation box placed on their counter. Nagel says, the box had been there for quite a while, and that at least once a month a woman claiming to be with Candy for a Cure would empty out the cash. Nagel became suspicious over the charity, so he tried calling the number on the box; however, each time he called, it would always go to voicemail.

During my investigation, I determined that the number was a Google number, which are practically untraceable, and I also reached voicemail each time I called. Before reaching the point of leaving a voicemail, the message tells callers to contact Breast Cancer Recovery at www.bcrecovery.org for more information – so I did. According to a representative of BCR, they have no charity partners that do business as Candy for a Cure.

Today, I received a blocked call from “Patrick” who says his wife runs the organization and that she will have to call me back. I’m still waiting for that call. During our short conversation, “Patrick” alluded to the fact that he runs several organizations but he did not elaborate further.

We contacted a spokesperson with the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office regarding the elusive “charity” but so far we haven’t received any official complaint reports.

At this time, RNRF cannot confirm the legitimacy of Candy for a Cure, but due to the suspicious circumstances surrounding their existence, we thought it would be prudent to bring the charity to your attention.

If you have information on this charity or any other that you believe may be operating illegitimately, email RNRF at [email protected] or contact law enforcement.

12358477_928182373904353_343685532_n

Comments
  • I’m a local business owner and definetly a scam. Around this time last year I was approached about leaving a box in my business by the same charity and I decided sure why not so instead of her having to come pick up the money after the sales I went ahead and paid for the whole box plus gave extra thinking benefiting a good cause. Then instead of leaving the box they were displayed in she took it. I questioned her and was told they were paid for she couldn’t leave the box but thank you for the money she needed it for the holidays.

Friday, 11 December 2015, 1:59 am
  • Tom Lemons you probally wont hear back from the hernando police dept.!!!! Funny how they say they help ppl! We turned all info into them about the accident and called but NOTHING NOT EVEN AN EMAIL!!! Should do an article on them!

Tuesday, 8 December 2015, 10:26 pm
  • The Salvation Army is a scam as well I was volunteering my time as A bell ringer and the guy and lady that picked up the money keeped a log of the day before and said that they only got under 10 bucks out of the bucket witch I knew was a lie because I seen people put over $20 in there .. And I did it for a few more days and keeped asking what I brought in the day before and after a few days and keeped hearing that it was under $10 every time I quit volunteering there because they are a scam .. Tom you should check them out .

Tuesday, 8 December 2015, 10:17 pm
  • This upsets me so much. We have let that woman come into our office every few weeks to collect the money and leave us more lollipops…we have even called for more if we run out. We thought we were doing a good thing for our community. There will no longer be any “donations” taken by us …
    I wonder how many hundreds of dollars she has collected just from our location. Greedy, nasty people, hopefully Karma will bite them in the a**

Tuesday, 8 December 2015, 5:54 pm
  • Perhaps HCSO can get some video of this SO CALLED LADY, and find out who she is. where this money is going. Organized fraud, Racketeering, might be charged.

Tuesday, 8 December 2015, 11:54 am
  • all I will say now….FREE CANDY you thieven chumps!!!

Tuesday, 8 December 2015, 5:36 am
  • Humm perhaps the woman with the boxes should get a real job!!! This is discusting shame on her.

Monday, 7 December 2015, 10:06 pm
  • Deceiving,why would advance discount auto parts let them put it in the store without confirmation that its a legit charity,now with that said it dont say that it is a charity or any of the proceeds are going toward anything,i cant make out what the top of the sticker says in the middle,but it is misleading and shady and hopefully advanced auto will remove it,with it being in a reputable place that makes it more Desceiving,then if it were in say a shady little corner store

Monday, 7 December 2015, 8:35 pm
  • Once again, we owe a big “thank you” to Tom for letting us know about this local news!

Monday, 7 December 2015, 7:30 pm
  • Great advertisement for Dasani though.

Monday, 7 December 2015, 7:11 pm
  • Nothing surprises me anymore !! Disgusting !!

Monday, 7 December 2015, 5:09 pm
  • Unfortunately more of these scams than we know. Check out the ever appearing collection boxes for clothes, shoes etc. that are not affiliated with the Salavation Army or Goodwill and check who is behind them. A multi million dollar business, shame on us!

Monday, 7 December 2015, 4:59 pm
  • WOW! If true it is pretty damn despicable!

Monday, 7 December 2015, 4:09 pm