Man Charged with DUI After Crashing into Tree, Served Time for Marijuana Cultivation

SPRING HILL – A small SUV crashed into a tree at a residence on Elwood Road this evening, leaving the driver to explain how the accident happened.

Around 6:00 p.m. Fire Rescue responded to 5008 Elwood Road, after the driver of a Nissan SUV veered off the roadway, broke through a utility pole guy-wire, and struck a tree. The driver, 32-year-old David Michael Gula, only suffered minor injuries and refused medical treatment.

According to sources, Sheriff’s Deputies arrived on the scene and immediately suspected that Gula may be impaired. Gula participated in a series of sobriety exercises and was subsequently taken into custody and transported to the Hernando County Jail.

In 2014 Gula was charged with cultivation and possession of marijuana over 20 grams, after detectives discovered several plants and 2 lbs. of processed marijuana inside his residence on Montano Ave. Gula served approximately 7-months behind bars after pleading guilty to the charges in 2016.

It is not known at this time what substance Gula is suspected of being under the influence of that resulted in today’s crash.

Comments
  • Poor Tom. The most hated guy in the county for simply reporting the news. Give him a break guys.

Saturday, 12 August 2017, 1:47 pm
  • He is always so nice when I go into to his place of employment. Really doubt he is on meth as someone stated on this past not sure you know what a person on meth looks like if you think he has a meth face. People make mistakes and many at that. Just glad no one was hurt.

Wednesday, 9 August 2017, 11:26 pm
  • Heath ,Jeff Spicoli,from Ridgemont high,,then gone BAD!pic says it all meth,must have ate the bag.lmao

Wednesday, 9 August 2017, 2:27 am
  • I’m giving this guy the benefit of the doubt. With all the B.S. coming out of the HCSO these days, I frankly have my concerns about anything they say/do. I’m a thinking man hated by sheeple. The crowd is oftentimes wrong. Keeping an officer caught masturbating on the job while in a government vehicle just defies all logic to a thinking man.

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 11:21 pm
  • holaaaaa! Timmay, that was funny! my bad on my mispell, mean’t to say popping some barley necks!! (cold beers) any how alot of us and many on here are often JudgeMental when we should all look in the mirror! including me, Treckman easy there………. have little compassion, i got your point but he is still a human being, this reminds me we got sex offenders living free, (most on our dime) living all around us and the courthouse filled to rim daily with petty crap,my point is he made a bad choice and there’s hope he get’s it right, and the real scum should be rounded up and put away,his face is funny in 1st photo……………aka there’s not a dam thing wrong with me! l feel GREAT!

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 5:35 pm
  • These people don’t seem to learn any lesions and are repeat offenders that belong on chain gangs doing hard labor and if they refuse to work and go on a hunger strike start digging their grave.

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 4:57 pm
  • Running off the road drunk at 6pm on a Monday,throw this filth back in prison!On a lighter note Tom,It’s guywire not guidewire.

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 10:49 am
  • Tom it’s a common mistake but it’s guy-wire,not guidewire.Cheers.

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 6:45 am
  • I’m sure he has a juvenile record TOO Tom!! Plus I bet if u talk to his old babysitter, I bet SHE has some dirt on him also!! If u go further back , I bet in ANOTHER life he was a real outlaw!

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 4:23 am
  • sad, Sooooooooooooooo sad to me anyhow…………. when he sobered up it it might of hit him how much it might have changed his life…….i pray and hope this never reapeats itself in his life, i will say this……weed smokers don’t lose it like drunks, pill heads, meth you name it! i know iv’e been lucky myself a few times pooping a few barley necks and driving, WOW! and the rules /laws change constant, I wish ya the best bro!

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 3:48 am
    • Does it hurt to poop barley necks? Sounds painful.

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 1:40 pm
  • To make him look bad

Monday, 7 August 2017, 11:27 pm
  • What a LOSER thank God no innocent person was hurt or killed

Monday, 7 August 2017, 10:48 pm
  • The correct term Tom is “guy wire”, not guide wire. I know, I know, I used to think it was guide wire too…lol

Monday, 7 August 2017, 10:48 pm
  • Nice Slippers Gula….

Monday, 7 August 2017, 10:45 pm
  • So what does the pot growing have to do with the accident ? Just more fluff for the story ?

Monday, 7 August 2017, 8:33 pm
    • It’s called history.

Monday, 7 August 2017, 10:48 pm
    • It appears that police do not know what he was high on !!!!!!! Hence the information on the weed.

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 10:33 am