Man Charged with DUI Manslaughter in Death of Brooksville Woman

BROOKSVILLE – One person is dead and a suspected drunk driver is behind bars, after two vehicles collided last evening on Centralia Road.

RNRF broke the news around 7:30 p.m., after reports of a serious crash and possible fatality at the intersection of Centralia Road and Sunshine Grove Road.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, 51-year-old Rodger J. Carr was driving his 2012 Camaro at a high-rate of speed, eastbound on Centralia Road, while Sandra Sevilla, 53, and her passenger, Susan Rodriguez, 53, were stopped at the intersection, preparing to turn left. As Sevilla turned onto Centralia Road, the two vehicles collided, causing fatal injuries to Sevilla. The victim was transported to Oak Hill Hospital, where she later died.

Rodriguez was not injured in the crash.

Carr was transported to Oak Hill Hospital with minor injuries and later booked into the Hernando County Jail on charges of DUI Manslaughter.

Carr remains behind bars on $60,000 bond.

Comments
  • DUI — “Driving Under the Influence” —- “Influence,” not “Intoxication” has many have pointed out. Does “influence” pertain to Alcohol only? With the Drug epidemic in our society, so many are “influenced” or “intoxicated” with Drugs while driving. My condolences to the family of the lost one and to other family members of all related to the other individuals.

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 10:19 pm
  • terrible situation and nothing will bring back the deceased. thats my take on it all but what do i know.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 10:56 pm
  • At the end of the day or in this case a life, if Mr. Carr hadn’t of broke the LAW this incident most likely would never have happened. If you make a conscious decision to get behind the wheel of a vehicle intoxicated you are making a decision to possibly turn that vehicle into a deadly weapon and hurt or kill another human being. All this bull crap about her pulling out in front of him is irrelevant. He was already committing a crime before impact! My thoughts and prayers are with Sandra and her loved ones! RIP

Monday, 4 December 2017, 10:48 pm
  • Yes it is very sad, but you can see for miles on that road. There is no way she didn’t see him. My heart goes out to the families.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 9:27 pm
  • Drinking, driving, and speeding. Horrible decision. She might’ve pulled out in front of him, but in her defense, it’s very difficult to judge an oncoming vehicles rate of speed, especially at night. Her depth perception probably told her he was far enough away that she could make the turn, but didn’t realize how fast he was going. It really is amazing how fast someone can close the distance even if they’re going just 10mph over. Prayers for her family and friends. Im not a malicious person, but I hope the man drinking, driving, and speeding gets the punishment he deserves. Everyone makes mistakes, but im sure he knew the dangers and just didn’t give a flying f***. Prayers for him and his family as well. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 7:41 pm
  • Everytime there is an accident people start blaming the roads etc. I am so sorry the lady lost her life but I lived in that area for a long time. People do drive fast but you can see a long way.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 6:39 pm
    • Do we know if his headlights were on?

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 5:43 pm
  • My heart goes out to Sandra’s family -but Centralia & Sunshine Grove is a very bad intersection,I’ve lived out here for 25 plus years and everyone pulling on to Centralia from Sunshine Grove seem to think they have the right of way , thinking everyone is turning on to Sunshine Grove (not continuing on Centralia) I’ve came close serveral times with people pulling out in front of me,I always slow down there , also at Lelanii & the bike path, very bad spots ,I travel that road daily !!!!!! And NO Mr.Carr should not have been driving drunk and he desevres what he gets.Not away to start off the Holiday Season!!!Thoughts & prayers too all !!!!!!

Monday, 4 December 2017, 4:40 pm
    • Stacey I’m sorry I don’t agree with you. I use Lelani east onto 476 and Also Sunshine west onto 476. Also come west from 491. I believe majority of people are all careful.creeping into 476 west from 493 north due to the hill just east of 493. I do a triple check. Rarely any accidents there. I’m sure SPEED, DRINKING, and Possible Lack of headlights caused this tragedy.. What bike path at Lelani ?? Few ATV hills….

Monday, 4 December 2017, 6:34 pm
      • DEBBIE// i agree with you 100 percent

Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 4:06 am
  • Bethy does indeed say, hangem. A point though, the speeding car does not forthfit it’s right away, can’t pull out until coast clear. Than shootem

Monday, 4 December 2017, 4:07 pm
  • If Me Sevilla was careless enough to pull out in front of Mr. Carr, she has no o e to blame but herself.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 3:38 pm
    • you dude I hope you lose someone very close to you piece of worthless

Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 10:30 pm
    • So are you telling me it was her fault that the guy is a drunk? Was her fault that he was speeding 90+? Was her fault that he didn’t have headlights on? Before you make a stupid comment like this check the facts or say nothing!

Sunday, 10 December 2017, 7:21 am
  • So sorry an innocent lady lost her life as a result of this man’s careless, heartless choices. RIP Sandra

Monday, 4 December 2017, 2:39 pm
  • This is so sad just before the Holidays or any day, this jackass killed someone and what he is going to live the rest of his life behinds bars, Death should come to him weather his was drunk or not should have not been driving.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 2:23 pm
    • Unfortunately he won’t spend the rest of his life behind bars! The drunk that killed my husband when he was 23, and I was 5 months pregnant, got 20 years and it was his 3rd offense, he was out of prison in 17 months!! There by is no Justice in this country!

Monday, 4 December 2017, 7:13 pm
  • Granted this jerk was drinking, driving, and speeding……but she pulled out in front of him. I think a good attorney would get him off of the manslaughter charge. However as Bethy would say “HANGEM”.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 1:00 pm
    • You are right and by the news article she pulled into his path of travel, Centralia is a raceway at all times of the day

Monday, 4 December 2017, 2:23 pm
    • Sadly this very outcome may come to pass. Hope it doesn’t though.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 2:25 pm
    • I have to agree with you. She pulled out in front of him and the speed limit right there is 55. Could that be a high rate of speed? A Camaro hitting a Honda Fit at 45 mph would have killed her as well.
      The fact that he had been drinking really sucks but there are other factors involved. Prayers for her family.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 2:26 pm
    • Sorry, he was driving drunk and should not have been on the road. She probably pulled out because Mr. Carr was coming so fast SHE NEVER SAW HIM. Do not pass go…I don’t care how good the lawyer is.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 3:01 pm
  • Prayers for Sandra and her family RIP.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 12:54 pm
  • It was only 7:30 pm. When the heck did he start drinking? People are afraid to be on the roads at any time of the day here, because these fools can’t leave the booze alone for even a short time.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 12:31 pm
    • People in this area and I suppose other places too, if they are alkies, they drink morning, noon and night….and even during the night while they sleep!!!! They need to get all of these drunks off the streets and never mind those who smoke a joint or two!

Monday, 4 December 2017, 2:17 pm
  • Blows me away that people are still so selfish and stupid to drink and drive KNOWING what the repercussions are. Enjoy jail Rodger J. Carr

Monday, 4 December 2017, 11:58 am
  • Stupid drunks never die They only ruin other people’s lives hopefully he gets locked up forever out of society

Monday, 4 December 2017, 11:54 am
  • isn’t funny this man kills someone drinking and driving and gets arrested but William Dehayes shot and killed my daughter and grandson while on medications and he never got arrested, detained or prosecuted

Monday, 4 December 2017, 11:51 am
    • Omg I’m so sorry to hear this! Megan Hughes killed my daughter by shooting her up with dilaudid and we got her on 2nd degree murder charges and she was sentenced to 19yrs! You have to fight and fight hard go to the state attorneys office and raise hell!!! I wish there was something I could do but from experience there is nothing no one can do! Get angry and let it out!! Sending my love and a great BIG hug !!

Monday, 4 December 2017, 12:59 pm
    • Sorry for your loss may they rest in peace..

Monday, 4 December 2017, 1:10 pm
    • blah blah blah blah, different story, different people, you’re on the wrong page, go find your own page to whine on

Monday, 4 December 2017, 2:29 pm
      • They aren’t whining, they are comparing “the crime to the punishment”. You didn’t get the point.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 5:57 pm
      • No need to be so nasty to this woman. How would you feel?

Monday, 4 December 2017, 6:31 pm
    • This was such a miscarrage of justice! I’m so sorry that you and your family have suffered so terribly and have had no justice for your beautiful daughter and grandbaby 🙏

Monday, 4 December 2017, 3:04 pm