Man Dies After Falling Off Garbage Truck, Investigation Underway

UPDATE: 3:49 P.M. – Officials have identified the victim as 25-year-old Dantrell Gray.

HUDSON (PASCO) – The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the death of a 25-year-old Spring Hill man, after he was run over by a garbage truck early this morning.

According to reports, the victim was standing on the rear left corner of a garbage truck as it was backing westbound on Bourbon Street near Tipton Ave. While the truck was in reverse, the victim fell off the truck and was run over. The victim, who has not been identified, was transported to Bayonet Point Hospital where he later died from his injuries.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

Comments
  • OMG! Trell is one of the strongest, most outgoing individuals I have been blessed to know. What a heart this man has. You will be truly missed. Its so confusing as to who deserves to live and who doesn’t. Trell had so much more life left, and so many more things to accomplish. Peace & Blessings to his children and family! May the outcome of this tragedy be in the favor of his beautiful family. May his soul rest in peace.

Sunday, 16 April 2017, 9:00 pm
  • Prayers for all.

Saturday, 15 April 2017, 7:29 pm
  • Coworkers of the victims fiance have established a gofundme to help offset the financial hardship she will be going through. Let’s come together as a community to help raise this young mother up as she grieves such a sudden and tragic loss. Every $1 makes a difference!

Saturday, 15 April 2017, 7:29 pm
  • I love you Trell, RIP xoxo

Saturday, 15 April 2017, 5:45 pm
  • In response to curious, usually I don’t comment on social media but I have in this situation.He has my granddaughter as Canie has pointed out and two more kids from a former relationship that live in Iowa as he is is from Arkansas a son and daughter age 4 the son and daughter age 7, which in February he flew up to go to the father daughter dance to be with her,he was trying to straighten out his life,when it was it cut short.To everyone please ignore Canie’s negative comments and again her info is wrong the company is not Republic it is the company I mentioned before.Emotions are running high now thank you.

Saturday, 15 April 2017, 8:56 am
    • Ma!

Saturday, 15 April 2017, 4:05 pm
  • Bro was a great young man who was a pleasure to know for the short time i knew him..always a big smile, very respectful to others and energy for days on the basketball court…rest in paradise Trell

Saturday, 15 April 2017, 5:05 am
    • Thank you Brian I was planning on going up to the basket ball courts and telling the boys thank you for the prayers

Saturday, 15 April 2017, 4:04 pm
  • RIL fam ???

Friday, 14 April 2017, 11:07 pm
  • Thank you Johnny! Your absolutely right! Everyone’s​ death should be equal! Thank you for the prayers !

Friday, 14 April 2017, 9:37 pm
  • You know what always upsets me is when a fireman, or law enforcement officer is killed in the line of duty there are fundraising events, memorial rides, and college educations for their kids paid for . When an average hard working man dies at work there is little fanfare. I just wish all deaths were treated equal that’s all. I love everyone. God bless his family and friends.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 9:30 pm
  • I thought it was said he had three kids?

Friday, 14 April 2017, 7:07 pm
    • Yes he does one is my niece who turns one may7th

Friday, 14 April 2017, 8:59 pm
  • This is so sad. I see these guys hanging on to their trucks in ALL types of weather,rain,freezing cold,blistering hot…I have often thought /Wow…these guys are really heroic…’
    They’re ‘just’ garbage men,right?
    No! A tough breed! Imagine their lives…how their wives must tolerate the odors…how they have to shower before they can even get close. And the pay!
    Sanitation workers need to be placed in the same class as First Responders!
    Imagine our lives if not for them: up to our noses in our own filthy garbage and sick from the rot.
    Many will say…’I would just put in in my car and take it to the dump..’
    Ok, try that for a few months and see how it works out for you after having had regular pick up service for years on end…for a trifle of a payment.
    Or maybe burn it in your burn barrel and enjoy that smell.
    These are the unsung heroes of our society and they deserve more.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 7:01 pm
    • Thank you Joe. That was very positive and sweet ! Your right the stuff these men go through on a regular basis is tough and they should be praised more !

Friday, 14 April 2017, 9:35 pm
  • Such a young provider trying to do right by his family. I am sorry for your loss to ALL family members. May God bless you all. You will be in my prayers. To the driver you also will be in my prayers. I don’t believe this was anything you did Intentionally. I feel Florida heat took a toll – dehydration, lack of food maybe, too much sun. A horrible, terrifying accident for all.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 6:35 pm
  • Prayers For All Involved

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:22 pm
  • The company is JD Parker and Sons not Republic.Me and my family do not blame the driver.We are not sure of all the details as of now just continue to keep everyone involved in prayer to get through this .God bless!

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:11 pm
    • Thanks ma

Friday, 14 April 2017, 6:47 pm
  • Thank You everyone for your thoughts and prayers it really means a lot to the family. Dantrell was going to be 26 years old this month on the 29th. My niece is his daughter going to be 1 years old on may 7th.Again everyone thank you. It really means a lot to us and yes as Mary said we should come together as a community.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:09 pm
  • OSHA will be all over this. I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often all over the country. These guys ride the trucks and hop off and on at every stop, yet when a skilled tradesman is working out of a comparatively safer bucket truck or lift, a safety harness is required.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 3:53 pm
    • Yes they should have some protection

Friday, 14 April 2017, 9:40 pm
  • Prayers for the children and family ?

Friday, 14 April 2017, 2:34 pm
  • It was my son’s route, they were truck mates, my son was holding this young man in his arms before the medics arrived. I’m this young man’s family is going to need some help with just about everything. It would be nice if we, as a community, could come together and help this family to get through this tragic time in life.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 2:11 pm
    • Mary I am so sorry for your son and everyone involved. Someone should set up go fund me page. Prayers.?

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:04 pm
    • I’m Dantrell’s girlfriend and mother to our 1 year old daughter. So your son was there when it happened. Is there anything he could tell me about his last moments please? It’s been a tough day for all of us.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:18 pm
      • I called them sis the republic place

Friday, 14 April 2017, 6:45 pm
      • Chasity, you can email me, [email protected]

Monday, 8 May 2017, 11:49 am
  • Prayers to your entire family and friends, also for the driver, even tho blameless,will suffer mentally as well. Very very sad.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 1:56 pm
  • R.I.p Trell you will be forever missed another good person gone way to soon :/

Friday, 14 April 2017, 1:43 pm
  • I used to work for republic services and they allowed all kinds of unsafe behavior to go on the 1st werk i worked there a guy lost his leg

Friday, 14 April 2017, 1:43 pm
    • Patrick, yes that is terrible and I will most definitely look into it with that company.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:16 pm
  • Sue republic

Friday, 14 April 2017, 1:40 pm
  • Dantrell Lamar Wayne affectionately known as Trell was my Grandbaby’s dad and my daughter Chasity Hughes Fiancee and an all around great person he will be truly missed,keep us in your prayers??

Friday, 14 April 2017, 12:45 pm
    • We will make it through this mom

Friday, 14 April 2017, 1:20 pm
    • It was great meeting you and your grand baby yesterday! I haven’t been able to stop thinking about her and the tragedy you guys are going through!

Monday, 8 May 2017, 10:44 am
  • Rip trell

Friday, 14 April 2017, 12:29 pm
  • Thank you everyone for your prayers. His name was Dantrell . Gray .He was my brother in law . We are very hurt by this tragic unexpected event. He left behind 3 beautiful children.he was a very friendly outgoing person. Again Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 12:05 pm
    • My condolences all the way from Bearden Arkansas

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:26 pm
    • I am so very sorry. I just found some out what happened my prayers goes out to the family. Dantrell was a very good friend to my son Eli and he helped him tremendously, he had a very big heart and an all great person. May God continue to to strengthen his family and friends in this time of sorry.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:27 pm
    • Sorry for your family’s , I always have great respect for people who work hard trying to make a living

Friday, 14 April 2017, 8:44 pm
      • Family’s loss, sorry for the typo

Friday, 14 April 2017, 8:46 pm
  • Dantrell Gray we love you

Friday, 14 April 2017, 12:00 pm
  • Does anyone know what company it was.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 11:48 am
    • Why does it matter?!

Friday, 14 April 2017, 1:31 pm
      • Canie, Stacey just asked a question. You talk about negative vibes yet you’re the only one putting them off. If you know the company name just say it. If not, “Please keep your negative vibes somewhere else”.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:44 pm
        • First off, I did not tell Stacey that . That comment was to Bethy Thank you very much . Have a nice day.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 6:43 pm
          • Again I will not agree with anyone nor am I in the mood too. Don’t jump to someone’s defense unless your sure I was speaking to them directly the only thing I said to Stacey was why does it matter. Today has been rough for all of us please again like I said respect our wishes

Friday, 14 April 2017, 6:55 pm
      • It was a question, can you not be civil enough to answer?

Friday, 14 April 2017, 7:48 pm
        • First off, they were attacking me whoever Stacy is I was not speaking to her in that comment I was speaking to someone else . Your another person that needs to keep your mouth shut without knowing everything. The reason I didn’t answer that was because it doesn’t matter what company it was. The main focus is that someone’s​ life is taken away today. Again like I said I’m not going to agrue with people like you that clearly don’t know how to read everything before commenting. This comment section is made for prayers not drama. He was my brother in law and very close to the family as he is my nieces father who will never see his children grow up. You or anyone else can think I’m being mean but I’m being honest. Do not comment on stuff when it has nothing to do with u. Have a nice night

Friday, 14 April 2017, 8:57 pm
          • Canie, it’s a shame you don’t recognize that it’s you with the bad attitude. It’s a shame you didn’t understand I was pointing out the fact the while you told one person not bring drama you in fact where starting drama with another poster.
            It’s a shame you’re beginning to look like an attention getter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so please be adult enough to understand that. If you don’t like what someone says either ignore them or defend your opinion without making it a personal attack.

Saturday, 15 April 2017, 5:43 am
  • Prayers for the young man and driver ?

Friday, 14 April 2017, 11:14 am
    • Prayers for the young man, unfortunately, aren’t gonna do much good. The driver ,however, could certainly use some consolation as he is probably devastated about the death of his colleague and the far reaching implications this will bring about.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 12:31 pm
      • The prayers do very well. Me speaking as his sister in law you need to have respect. The driver should feel bad . We do not need any negative comments . Please keep your negative vibes somewhere else

Friday, 14 April 2017, 1:26 pm
        • I met his daughter and her grandmother at her 1st birthday yesterday, she is beautiful!! Prayers to you and your family!!

Monday, 8 May 2017, 10:31 am
      • Yeah prayers for the young man will help. This is my first cousin and he has kids and family. The driver is gonna go home to his family but when my cousin arrives home to Arkansas he’ll be in a body bag. So be careful what you say and how unsympathetic you are towards other people. And talk abt devastation, yes, we are devasted becus the report can say one thing and another thing could have happened. This just happened and we haven’t even gotten a chance to let it sink in before someone has already let things come out of their mouth real rude like. God be with the insensitive people.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 6:43 pm
        • Thank you April! That’s all I was saying. You were right on point and I look forward to meeting u at his memorial service . She is extremely insensitive. People need to understand this came as a shock. That guy that hit him will go home like you said and he will never get to see his kids grow up including my niece and his other two children. So Please Bethy be very careful and have some respect.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 8:51 pm