Man Found Near Suncoast Trail with Gunshot Wound – Possibly Self-Inflicted

BROOKSVILLE – Deputies have secured an area along the Suncoast Trail near at Powell Road, where a man was found with what may have been a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

An official report has not been released but according to our sources, deputies and fire rescue responded to the area, after 911 operators received reports of the incident.

The victim was conscious and breathing when deputies arrived on scene, despite a gunshot wound to the head. The victim was transported by ground to Bayonet Point Hospital, where his condition is unknown. A firearm was found near the victim.

There are no further details at this time.

UPDATE: 7/10/2015, 1:56 P.M. – According to officials the man is still alive but his condition has not been released.

Suicide 1 Suicide 3

sui 34r4

Comments
  • Hey Tom, any update on this? I walk with my kids in that area of the trail, this is pretty close to home. Alex comment about his friends car being shot is a real concern.I really appreciate the information you bring to us, keep up the good work bro.

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 11:46 pm
  • Any updates?

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 8:44 pm
  • A friends car was shot a couple months ago traveling S. on the Suncoast Pkwy right around that spot. Any chance it was a 22 Cal?

Monday, 13 July 2015, 7:25 pm
  • Has there been any word on how this man is doing?

Monday, 13 July 2015, 6:01 am
  • I am an avid reader of RNRF. I, too, appreciate getting more than the Bay News Nine quick scribble. Thank you, Mr. Lemons. As a writer myself, I can relate to some of what you have to deal with because of your chosen profession. I agree with those who praise you for supporting and protecting our 1st Amendment rights. I can speak only for myself, but it certainly helps ME to more quickly recognize a lot of the morons; including some who make angry, judgmental, off-topic blanket statements. Frequently, when another person/persons “Jiminy Cricket” them, they accelerate their tantrums.They know who they are. Oh, wait. Perhaps not. On the upside, those with intelligent, sharp synaptic abilities get to enjoy the free entertainment.

Sunday, 12 July 2015, 1:07 pm
  • Tom you do an amazing job and if it weren’t for you none of us would know what’s going on in our community. Not deleting people who write negative comments just goes to show what a true professional you really are. Keep up the good work!

Sunday, 12 July 2015, 12:32 am
  • If you wanna know something that happen in Hernando county this is where you go.

Saturday, 11 July 2015, 2:23 am
  • I come here first before I go elsewhere. The stories are more informative than other sites like BayNews9 plus it is more relative considering I live here and this is our news, no one else seems to care much about Hernando co. :/

Saturday, 11 July 2015, 2:05 am
  • Thank you for all that you do for us! I love to know what’s going on in my hometown. Prayers to the victim.

Saturday, 11 July 2015, 12:28 am
  • I highly doubt that a man who shoots himself in the head is looking for attention. Seriously.. And Tom I don’t even live in Hernando anymore and I totally support what your doing with rnrf. If people don’t like it then they should probably stop trolling lol just saying

Saturday, 11 July 2015, 12:15 am
  • Thank You Tom for keeping us updated on what’s going on in our community, Bay News 9, etc., etc., etc., has all but forgotten we excist. I’m still wondering if there’s any new news about the guy who fell off the boat over here in the canal.

Saturday, 11 July 2015, 12:15 am
  • Some people just are not happy in life. I myself am thankful for news and want to thank the people who post it. Now as for the rude ppl you may need some friends or maybe even a blow up doll to make your life have value. I hope you find happiness.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 11:08 pm
  • I for one appreciate what Tom (RNRF) does! Keep up the good work Tom on letting us know what is happening in Hernando County. Prayers for this man and his family. I have been riding my bike using that trail, I did yesterday and was planning on doing so again today until I saw this from RNRF. Is there any updates since this afternoon, as in was it for sure self inflicted?

Friday, 10 July 2015, 11:06 pm
  • *from

Friday, 10 July 2015, 10:40 pm
  • Not everybody who attempts or succeeds in taking their life is “looking for attention”. You don’t know what that man’s been through or if he suffers front mental illness!! Educate yourself, Janet.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 10:39 pm
  • I love rnrf cuz i can get info around my neighborhood. I dont have tv so rnrf is my preference. Tom lemons keep up the great work.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 10:37 pm
  • Sending prayers!

Friday, 10 July 2015, 10:17 pm
  • Ok. No problem.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 9:40 pm
  • There probably under age teens that have no life. Tom is doing a good job here. Keep up the good work tom. Fyou, Nunya, methatswho, and Travis Beasley are probably all the same one person. Like tom said…. “actually YOU are the idiot who has no life. you appear to love this site enough to leave nasty comments” if you don’t like it, see ya, bye!!!! don’t come on here starting something because your making your self look like an idiot. Keep up the god work tom.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 9:39 pm
    • Mike – If I was one of THEM, I certainly would NOT
      have called “Fyou” an IDIOT!!
      I think you need to go back and reread what I said!!!!
      You might also want to REREAD what “methatswho”
      said as well.!!
      Duhhhhh!!

I appreciate all that Tom Lemons reports!

Saturday, 11 July 2015, 10:22 am
  • If it wasnt for RNRF we the community would have no clue of all the incidents that go on in this county good bad or in different. Baynews9 sure dont cover this county unless it has to do with some large media related case. Thank you RNRF for your coverage but also try to get some local events and happenings out too so we know when things occur if we want to attend things like runs, races, charity fund raisers etc.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 9:34 pm
  • We love you Tom. It’s big of you to let him speak his angry little mind. Keep on keeping us informed. Hey Fyou, find a hobby you can do all by yourself and spare us your venom. Thank you again Tom.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 8:57 pm
  • janet…shooting yourself in the head is not a sign of someone looking for attention. Sadly, this most definitely is a person that intended on ending his life, and if he does survive he’ll be left with serious permanent injury. This man, nor does his family, need to read any nasty, ignorant remarks left on here. If you still have the need to say something, how about trying a prayer for his recovery. I, for one, am sending my thoughts and prayers.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 6:18 pm
  • I agree about not posting the nasty comments. I like to read what people have to say without having to sift through the garbage talk. Isn’t that what the purpose is of “Your comment is awaiting moderation”?

Friday, 10 July 2015, 6:11 pm
  • You got nothing better to do than talk crap to small town local reporter? If you don’t like what someone has to say….don’t read it. Maybe they will do a report on what idiots do on small news sties

Friday, 10 July 2015, 5:43 pm
    • That is funny Travis, but I am sure that Tom has better things to with the rest of his life to report about idiots in OUR small town because that is how long it would take to cover them all.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 6:50 pm
  • Tom keep up the great reporting. Some people have nothing better to do in finding fault with the truth. Keep us informed and forget the hateful people. Good job reporting.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 5:34 pm
  • Looking for attention, those who want to kill themselves do, I know it happen in my family but this person needs serious serious help if not anything else.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 3:46 pm
  • That’s so sad… Nobody should post negative comments about this. Who knows what that guy had to be going through for him to want to take his own life. Sending prayers and well wishes to this man.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 3:43 pm
  • Wow talk about a axe to grind. Tom can’t you delete dumb people like this ?

Friday, 10 July 2015, 3:36 pm
  • Fyou

Friday, 10 July 2015, 3:34 pm
  • Obviously two ardent admirers of RNRF! That’s when you know that your reporting is getting through to all the people, not just your staunch supporters. I think it is great to have a source that when something happens in your community you can go to to get the unbiased facts about what happened. If I see smoke, a Coast Guard chopper, a accident, I know I can get the information about it as soon as I can get to my laptop. Keep the good work up, and everybody can help by supporting the advertisers on RNRF. It takes money to be able to keep up with what is going on with your community!

Friday, 10 July 2015, 3:33 pm
      • I’m very glad we have RNRF to find out what’s going on in our community because otherwise we would have nothing. The newspapers don’t report anything unless it’s a major crime. Just over an hour ago something happened in our neighborhood with several police cars and traffic getting rerouted. I hope to find out and be informed of criminal activity. Thank you, Tom for what you do.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 6:34 pm
  • YOU ^^^^^ are an IDIOT!!!!

Friday, 10 July 2015, 2:41 pm
  • Real news real fast is a b***h who has no life. Tha should be you in the report

Friday, 10 July 2015, 2:27 pm
    • actually YOU are the idiot who has no life. you appear to love this site enough to leave nasty comments. moron.

Friday, 10 July 2015, 3:50 pm