Man Injured After Being Struck by Sheriff’s Office Patrol Car

UPDATE: 5/24/2016, 5:16 P.M. – The Florida Highway Patrol has identified the victim as 66-year-old Marvin King of Brooksville. He was transported to Bayfront Health Brooksville where he was treated for minor injuries.

It was determined that King was at fault and was cited for not having a light on his bicycle.

BROOKSVILLE – The Sheriff’s Office is investigating the cause of a crash that injured a 60-year-old man, after he was struck by a patrol car while riding a bike along Wiscon Road near Horse Lake Road.

The victim’s condition is unknown at this time but sources say he was conscious and breathing when Paramedics arrived on the scene. The victim was transported locally for treatment.

There are still several emergency vehicles at the scene but traffic is moving in both directions.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

pasc 1 pasc 2 Interior Large copy

Comments
  • I drove by the scene shortly after it happened it is a very dark stretch of road. Also State troopers did respond with sheriff.

Saturday, 25 June 2016, 7:32 pm
  • How was it determined he was at fault. He had inoperable/missing equipment, i.e. a light, which warrants a citation. He was wearing a reflective vest. How did the LEO. Not see him. What was the LEO doing? Exactly, another cover up.

Saturday, 25 June 2016, 12:50 pm
  • Chris you are absolutely right. I see the cops driving way over the speed limit , almost on a daily basis, without any emergency lights on. Obviously not going to any call, just speeding because they can!. Yesterday I watched a HCSO patrol car, roll through a stop sign onto mariner, infront of me, then turn into linden, without using blinker, then make another turn off of linden, without blinker. If that was me… I would’ve ended up with 3 different tickets. I wrote down the patrol car number but did not report it because I am not trying to get pulled over by every cop in town. I am sure there would be some kind of “retaliation” for my complaint.

Saturday, 25 June 2016, 12:49 pm
    • I’m sure, as someone who has been driving for quite a while, I am proud to say I’ve NEVER once received anything other than a seat belt ticket. Most drivers around here including LEOs feel as if they are above the traffic laws. I can’t tell you how many close calls I’ve had with other drivers simply because they weren’t following the LAWS of the road. They’re there for a reason! People need to turn off the phones and pay attention to what they’re doing. Using a blinker or coming to a complete stop never killed anyone, in-fact it may have saved many lives! I’m scared to drive these roads especially Marnier with no divided road ways, someone can easily drift into oncoming traffic, in fact I’ve seen it done along with Deltona blvd. Scary world to drive in these days. To bad our public transportation system is an absolute joke!

Sunday, 26 June 2016, 6:36 pm
  • Thank you Tom. Glad to hear injuries were minor, I hope someone sets up a go fund me page, for help with medical bills, possibly new bike with reflectors, lights and a glowing vest and his CITATION probably lives on social security and needs all the help he can get, course I don’t know that,. Could need no help, just likes to ride a bike Just thinkin out of the box.

Friday, 24 June 2016, 7:45 pm
  • I would really like to know how the gentleman that was hit is doing, if anyone knows, friends, family anyone, please post. Have had him on my mind and praying he is doing ok.

Friday, 24 June 2016, 4:46 pm
  • Dear Dr Mexico, Thank you so much for confirming my point. Have a great day!!

Friday, 24 June 2016, 11:07 am
  • I’m sorry but most LEOs in this area, FLY. I drive mariner from SR 50 to county line on a daily basis and I can’t recall how many times a LEO literally flew past me. NOT TO MENTION most of them don’t follow most traffic laws(turn signals, coming to a complete stop before turning right on red). Also can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a LEO turn on lights and sirens just to get through a red light(because waiting a few minutes is far too much) and turn them right back off as soon as they get through said light. That LEO probably thought “it’s dark, no one else on the road with me, I’ll do whatever speed I want” until it was too late to stop. Such a shame; with that being said, people of ALL walks of life need to be more considerate when driving anywhere in this county.

Friday, 24 June 2016, 6:10 am
  • Another road with no sidewalk at all. Not even a shoulder. I really want to know the idiot who designed these roads in spring Hill and Brooksville.. And if you have no other choice but to ride or walk on a road like this, then the best thing to do is get on the grass. It’s the only safe spot to walk or ride your bike on.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 11:55 pm
  • If you look about 4 articles under this one you will see where a person in Citrus county was hit while pushing a shopping cart down a road and charges are pending. About the only difference here is that the person was on a bicycle and it was a deputy. Just saying.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 7:49 pm
  • Hope the bicyclist is going to be ok. Saw a bycyclist this morning on Spring Hill drive by the flee market riding on the wrong side of the rode into trafic and that rode has cycling lanes. Right or wrong the cyclist loses in an accident they should be extra vigilant, and at least follow the road rules that a person in a car will expect them to do and maybe avoid a lot injuries.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 7:32 pm
  • Several days ago, we drove down Wiscon and came upon an older bicycle rider. He might have even been this one. He was riding far to the right,, barely on the road, itself. He was wearing a reflective vest. I saw him far ahead, so, when I came upon him, I moved over, practically entirely on to the oncoming lane. In looking a this man, I would guess that he most likely did not have a car, and this might have been his sole means of transportation. The bicycle trails, roads, or whatever you call them, are completely deplorable! Those on the main routes that are between the main traffic lanes and the exit lanes are completely insane! When new roads are built, or old ones repaired, bicycle SIDEWALKS should be built, for pedestrians AND peddling cyclists.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 1:58 pm
    • **Pedaling** We pedal a bike because the bike has pedals, lol. Peddling means to to sell something, as in “peddling novelties, peddling wares from door to door”, etc.

Friday, 24 June 2016, 11:50 pm
  • Wow! There are not many of you that see the world through rose-colored glasses, huh? How sad that your view of our town, and our neighbors, our friends, and our officers are so cynicle, and filled with hate. Although riding a bike, or even walking would not be my choice on Wiscon, maybe this poor soul did not have a choice; and maybe, just maybe absolutely no one was doing anything wrong and this was purely an accident. Things happen in life that we can not predict , but to be so hateful in your heart towards everyone involved seems so cruel, and hard. I hope you all find a bit of light in your life to soften your hard hearts.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 1:57 pm
    • Oh shut it, Deb. Your very own idiom means to see things better than they really are. Its been done for years and look at the decline doing it “your way”. Im sorry if your feelings get easily hurt, but some people call a spade a spade and refuse to sugarcoat the truth.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 8:00 pm
    • **cynical** lol…The facts were that there were no lights on the bike. One should never ride a bike when it’s dark without proper lighting on the bike, a helmet and lots of reflective gear on the person and the bike. In many places it’s against the law to ride a bike at night without a headlight, tail light and reflectors. They make red blinking lights to put on the back of the helmet also. Anyone who rides a bike along these roads is nuts, especially the narrow roads without shoulders…that’s really taking a chance.

Friday, 24 June 2016, 11:46 pm
  • The road layout here is terrible, Mostly just enough for 2 car to get by each other and no sidewalks, It’s no wonder people are getting hit so often.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 1:35 pm
  • > done right. I could not agree with you statement anymore!! It was perfect!!! And yes Mrs. hall it was me that commented about how fat and out of shape they are and no I’m not a fat a–.. Have some pride in your appearance. Bend over tazing someone he looks like a rhino from behind! No more donuts!

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 1:32 pm
  • Ms. Hall, thank you very much, dont think I would ever need a deputy in this town. These cops add fuel to the fire. Your husband may have been a good cop and bless him for that but HCSO has gone to sh!t. We, the taxpaying citizens are sick of their antics and underhanded deals. I have lived here almost 30 years. It has gone way down hill. Fortunately, the sheriff doesn’t care what people think so his itty bitty feelings won’t be hurt and we are stuck with him at least another 4 years.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 12:20 pm
    • Sadly, I have to agree with you. I live in the highest crime area of HCSO District 1. Many times when you call for help they just drive through and gone so they can say they responded. Happened to me twice just last week. I have never in my sixty years seen such dishonorable attitudes when it comes to law enforcement. Often there are top notch deputies who do their job, but you never know who you are going to get. Feel like I’ve been slapped in the face when they fail to do their job, so I quit calling about the crime I experience in my neighborhood which is exactly the opposite of what the district Lt and Capt. told me to do. Despite knowing the problems in my area HCSO prefers an often anemic reaction rather than a strong proactive approach. The Sheriff seems more interested in how many monthly traffic stops he can brag about rather than the level of civil order where I live. I guarantee he wouldn’t let this crap go on in his neighborhood. What really stings is the fact that we are paying for this dysfunctional organization.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 1:26 pm
  • Who in their right mind would be riding a bike on Wiscon Road; the bike rider was negligent and must of had a death wish. I ride a bike around Hernando County and would never consider riding on Wiscon Road.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 10:58 am
  • So tired of reading comments on RNRF from cop haters, my husband was a cop for thirty plus years and each time he walked out the door he prayed to walk back home to his family. On another post people were making fun of the deputies weight, really the ones who wrote that are probably fat a…., HCS does a great job they are fine and caring men and all have families. Yes every PD has bad ones but the good out number the bad. Hope you people never need a cop but if you do they will be there to help no matter what you think of them.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 10:43 am
  • Sadly I see MANY deputies swerving as they drive down the road, especially on Deltona, due to looking at their laptops or phones

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 10:02 am
  • @Confused??? State Roads (HWP) VS County Roads (HCS) I believe.
    Wiscon is not a bicycle/pedestrian friendly road, narrow with no sides.
    Be careful out there folks.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 7:37 am
  • You know the “fix”is in….

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 7:27 am
  • BLESS ALL INVOLVED PARTYS AMEN

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 7:24 am
  • I think state troopers are called in if there was bodily injury report in an accident.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 6:16 am
  • Who was the officer?

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 4:53 am
  • Hey ‘CONFUSED’, I TOTALLY agree with you. I’m smellin’ a cover-up on this one. FHP always works these accidents…especially involving injuries. THIS one involves a deputy, and they are working their own case? Wait and see if they don’t blame it on the poor victim. Watch the cop walk away from this…smh. It’s what the HCSO does…cover-up.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 3:29 am
  • Prayers to the man who was hit and the Deputy that hit him. Sad….

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 12:29 am
  • Has* our forefathers

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 12:22 am
  • If that was a regular citizen driving their car they would be charged with wrecklesd driving or something, or a work vehicle in which the company would be sued as well… smh.

A few years back, right after the time NFL Wide Receiver Dante Stallworth hit and killed the bicyclist and received a year of probation after paying the family an “undisclosed” amount of money, a friend of mine had a kid pull out in front of his car on a bike and the kid died. My friend had one beer in the past 4 hours and blew a .009 not .09 ( yes .009 ) , 4 witnesses stopped and testified in court that he did everything to avoid the kid and but he couldn’t avoid it and it was the kids fault. The state wanted to plea him out to 3 yrs in prison but the family wanted “hard time” & “justice!” He’s 6 years into a 12 year prison stay for something that wasn’t his fault and her did nothing wrong, unless you say he was driving and driving, but at the B.A.C. level and considering he’s over 200 lbs, I hardly see it that way AND many witnesses started the kid was fully at fault…yet, he sits with a 1/4 of his life in the can.

THIS IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM!

It’s ALL about who you know, who you are, who knows you, and how much money you have! A totally flawed system that I assure you had our forefathers rolling on their respective graves !

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 12:21 am
  • assumption city…

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 11:54 pm
    • ??

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 7:29 am
    • I agree ! All these people with their negative comments and assumptions. It’s almost like they were there. Sarcasm intended….

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 7:50 am
  • Sad, just sad

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 10:56 pm
  • maybe he was on facebook on his patrol car laptop i see deputies looking at them lap tops in their vehicles more than they do the road one was lookin down up down up i was like wow this is worse than texting
    im surprised there arent more accidents with police cars paying more attention to them laptops then the road.
    they might make it easier for them not to have to write down the address to the call but now they are looking at the computer while speeding to a call. its ok though cause he will get paid leave while they investigate it they a paid suspension followed by oh yes of course a job to come back to.

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 10:15 pm
  • Watch they will find a way to punish the biker

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 10:11 pm
  • Breathalyzer test

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 10:05 pm
  • I wont say anything this time either!…

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 10:02 pm
  • Prayers for the man that was hit. Could someone please explain, usually the state troopers are investigating every accident (correct me if I am wrong) and this one involving a deputy is being done by sherriffs office, just wondering, thanks.

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 9:59 pm
    • Troopers have state roads(numbered), But they have jurisdiction on all roads, Sheriff, and local police have local roads, But they help each other out.

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 10:18 am
  • Ok, so was he texting, pleasuring himself or eating a donut?

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 9:52 pm