Man Takes Blame for Girlfriend in Hit and Run Crash, Real Suspect Now Charged

BROOKSVILLE – On New Year’s Day RNRF reported a hit and run crash that critically injured a wheelchair-bound woman as she traveled along Daniel Ave (CLICK FOR ORIGINAL REPORT).

The 23-year-old suspect, Clevandre Jerome Pope, avoided law enforcement until he was arrested on January 3rd and charged with leaving the scene of a crash with serious injuries.

The victim, Sandra Faye Gainer Carpenter remains in critical condition, according to the latest information provided by officials.

After our report several people defended Pope, claiming that he was not the driver and that he was taking the blame for his girlfriend, 22-year-old Ashley Nichole Norton. Turns out, those claims were true and on January 20th Norton turned herself in at the Hernando County Jail and was charged with leaving the scene of a crash with serious injury and destroying evidence. According to Brooksville Police, the suspect attempted to clean the vehicle of any evidence related to the crash, which may be why Norton is charged with destroying evidence.

Pope will still be charged with Obstruction for lying to Police.

Norton is free on a $20,000 bond.

RNRF attempted to speak with Pope but he has declined to comment.

norton-fd-s

hit-1 hit-2 hit-3

Comments
  • HEY, TRUTH, WHERE’S YOUR COMPASSION FOR MS. SANDRA FAYE GAINER CARPENTER ????? DO WE NEED TO TATTOO HER NAME & THE FACT SHE’S HAD ONE LEG AMPUTATED ACROSS YOUR FACE TO GET YOU TO SEE ???? THIS AIN’T ABOUT RACE !!!! IT’S ABOUT A WOMAN WHO WAS TREATED LIKE GARBAGE & WILL NOW BE PAYING FOR SOMEONE ELSE’S STUPIDITY FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE.

. WILL YOU VOLUNTEER TO TRADE PLACES WITH HER, TRUTH ????

I GUARANTEE YOU WON’T CAUSE YOU’D HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR “RACE ” SOAPBOX.

Thursday, 26 January 2017, 12:34 pm
  • Truth, first I was not one playing RACE CARD. I don’t care if you’re orange or purple. When WHOEVER leaves an elderly, wheelchair bound woman, man or child they just hit lying in the street & NOT ONE of them calls for help for this person, THEY ARE BOTH GUILTY AS SIN!!!!! Little boy needs to STOP “THINKING WITH HIS DI##” and activate his other end & he might not be in trouble now. When he was questioned he could have told the truth & not been in trouble maybe. HE CHOSE TO “THINK” WITH HIS D##K !!!!! And I definitely DON’T have compassion for lily white spoiled brat. She needs to rot in jail & go to he## when she dies in jail. How’s the status quo of having a white girlfriend/black boyfriend working out for you two now,losers ?????

Thursday, 26 January 2017, 12:21 pm
  • Well it’s might funny Y’ALL wanna hang the young man @first now that it’s not him but the gal y’all wanna make an excuse for her behavior smh REALLY LMBO THANK GOD THE TRUTH WAS TOLD ONLY THING CLEVE IS GUILTY OF IS CARING A LITTLE TO HARD

Thursday, 26 January 2017, 12:24 am
  • Yep! She is Heartless I’m Sure She Broke Her Daddy’s Heart First! If Ya Know What I Mean : (

Wednesday, 25 January 2017, 1:59 pm
    • Y’all FOLKS on here must not have a life @least some of ya and you’re a hypocrite cause now that you find out it was a white gal Y’ALL wanna show COMPASSION bol but when you thought it was a black male you was shout hang him really

Thursday, 26 January 2017, 12:27 am
  • I. Knew. It. Why Cleve took the blame for her is beyond me. He better stay clear of her and girls like her. Why this girl can’t get her crap together is beyond me too. So sad to see people take the wrong paths in life and ruin themselves. So disappointing. My prayers are for Ms. Carpenter and her recovery. Unbelievable, do you have a link to that source on her amputation? Sorry to hear that has happened.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 9:07 pm
    • Linda, Monday night channel 13 out of Tampa ( Fox 13 I believe ).
      Very short , quick blurb on 5 p.m. news if I remember right.
      I don’t know anyone involved in this tragedy but I thank you for caring about Ms. Carpenter. 🙂

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 9:28 pm
    • Linda, sorry I gave wrong info on station reporting leg amputation. Go to ABC ACTION NEWS or google WFTS ( channel 28.1 ) check under county by county news. I apologize for misinformation.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 10:10 pm
      • I found it and I’ll keep her in my prayers. Glad they got the driver. Shows how heartless she is to leave the scene and there is no excuse for it. How anyone can make an excuse for her is sickening. How dare they, when there’s an injured woman still fighting for her life. I hope the stiffest punishment is handed out!!

Wednesday, 25 January 2017, 11:17 am
        • Linda, you’re welcome. Thanks for praying for this woman. I’ve copied her name to my notepad so I remember there are CRUEL, HEINOUS THINGS on this earth & people who need a prayer to heal from them.

Thursday, 26 January 2017, 1:59 pm
  • I seen this movie once before, I think it was called.. dumb and dumber.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 8:52 pm
    • And wich were you boy…..

Wednesday, 25 January 2017, 7:45 am
  • Why dont yall ask ashley since none of you guys really know what happen i grew up with ashley since i was 5

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 7:38 pm
    • She’s changed. I’ve known her for a while too. Go look her up in the court system and see what you find. This isn’t her first rodeo and I am glad the right person got charged.
      Her own mouth is what got her in trouble.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 9:12 pm
    • Exactly , not a bad person . Bad choice yes very . But people make mistakes

Wednesday, 25 January 2017, 12:04 am
  • ARE YOU CRAZY ???? THESE IDIOTS LEFT THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT!!! THEY MUST HAVE BEEN TRYING TO HIDE SOMETHING-DRUNK, DRUGS ???? NEWS REPORTED LAST NIGHT THEY HAD TO AMPUTATE ONE LEG !!!
    SOME RECOVERY.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 6:29 pm
    • Only 2 people in the car!!! & he wasn’t one!! So everybody needs to get their facts straight. Why wasn’t the other girl charged with accessory?

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 8:18 pm
      • If you went to the supermarket with a friend and they pulled out a gun and robbed the place the friend would be charged with robbery too, because she was with that person, so If there was a 2nd person in the car then yes she should be charged too!

Wednesday, 25 January 2017, 12:51 pm
    • Yeah, it happens all the time with hit and runs. People get scared, freak out and leave. Doesn’t mean she was hiding anything. She should have gone back but she didn’t. Lady still shouldnt have been in the middle of the road.

Wednesday, 25 January 2017, 7:59 am
  • This article isn’t accurate. The lady isn’t in critical condition anymore, she’s reecovering from her injuries. Also, noone mentions this lady was in the middle of the road at night with no lights or reflectors. People have been warning her for years someone was going to hit her. Just saying!! Whether they had handled the situation correctly, the outcome for her would have been the same and it actually would have been her fault.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 5:47 pm
    • Then why didn’t the skank stop? Because she was drunk and drugged which means she would have been at fault! Even if the lady was in the road. Ashley is a known partier and showed she don’t care for anyone but herself. Don’t try to place the blame on the victim of this up driver and the damage she’s done. I’ve known Ashley for a long time and I knew the truth would come out. She’s a selfish, slutty, drunken doper.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 6:36 pm
      • On probation. Crazy huh? Had to pay to get off before she turned herself in. Check it out

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 8:46 pm
        • 1 POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE 10/23/2014 Court:Adjudication Withheld

2 POSS OF CANNABIS OVER 20GRMS 10/23/2014 Court:Adjudication Withheld

DWLS UNKNOWINGLY 12/01/2016 Court:Adjudicated Guilty

Does she have a valid license now? She hasn’t even paid that one off and she got it November 1st.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 9:23 pm
  • he has a better die job than her fake blonde hair

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 5:29 pm
  • My 16 year old daughter was the victim of a hit and run yesterday evening on Ft. Dade Ave in Brooksville. She sustained a concussion and we are waiting to hear if her truck is totaled! Why no publicity to help us catch her guilty runner. Is only the corrupt that get publicized??? Other guy was driving a red truck with tinted windows….possibly a Nissan Titan. We have his fog light!!!!! This has to stop!

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 5:09 pm
    • Dana, I’m so sorry for your daughter. My prayers go out for her & for your family. You are right this is happening too much & brooksville area gets pushed aside unless it’s reported to Tom by police/sherriff.
      I hope you have closure for your problem.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 6:22 pm
    • I shared this post on facebook and made it public. Maybe somebody will see and come forward with some information.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 7:05 pm
  • According to last night’s news Sandra Faye Gainer Carpenter had to have a leg amputated due to this incident !!!!
    Do either one of these two look like they care???? Boy wonder should have rolled over on girl stupid IMMEDIATELY.

For Sandra Faye Gainer Carpenter my prayers are still there for you & your family/friends. I wish I could afford to hire the best attorney for you so you would NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING AGAIN EXCEPT ENJOYING THE REST OF YOUR IN STYLE WITH A CHAFFEUR . YOU DESERVE TO BE COMPENSATED FOR THIS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 4:47 pm
  • Where’s Bethy?? And the slim ball that hit her is out already, she better be on her knees praying that poor lady recovers, or she could be looking at some kind of vehicle manslaughter. Btw she is ugly as well as ruthless. Dang she makes the wicked witch in Wizard of Oz look good. Hey Norton your nose is crooked. HOPING THE VICTIM RECOVER S SOON.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 3:42 pm
  • They both should be in jail, period.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 3:28 pm
  • Pathetic LOSERS! Probably wasted at the time

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 3:24 pm
  • That stank must’ve been worth it………

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 2:42 pm
  • money talks and gives them a way out……..as aways!

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 2:40 pm
  • Man, he must really love her, even though her life as she knows it now, is toast.

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 2:34 pm