Near Five-Hour Standoff Ends Tragically, After Failed Negotiations with Suicidal Woman

UPDATE: 11/24/2017, 10:02 A.M. – The Sheriff’s Office is now reporting the incident as a death investigation. There are no further details available at this time.

SPRING HILL – A near five-hour standoff with Sheriff’s Deputies came to a tragic end this evening, after negotiators failed to convince a suicidal woman to surrender.

According to sources, around 4:00 p.m. today a woman locked herself in a vehicle at Anderson Snow Park and threatened to commit suicide.

Around 8:30 p.m., a single gunshot rang out from inside the vehicle.

Fire Rescue transported the injured woman to a nearby hospital, where her condition remains unknown.

The victim’s identity has not been released.

ORIGINAL REPORT:

SPRING HILL – Sheriff’s Deputies have shut down a local Sports Complex, after a suicidal woman locked herself in a vehicle and may be armed.

Deputies surrounded Anderson Snow Park located at 1360 Anderson Snow Road and are attempting to negotiate with the desperate woman.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

Comments
  • Are we ever going to be told who this person was?

Sunday, 31 December 2017, 8:05 pm
  • She died she was brought to our hospital and now in the morgue.

Sunday, 26 November 2017, 2:01 am
  • “The Sheriff’s Office is now reporting the incident as a death investigation”… Sound to me like she might have died..

Saturday, 25 November 2017, 6:27 pm
  • Any news updates on her name? Prayers

Saturday, 25 November 2017, 1:17 am
  • And this is so sad. I regret that anyone would feel that lonely that they would have to take their own life.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 4:58 pm
  • During this holiday season all should be mindful that this is a very hard time for a person suffering from depression. They cannot process the happiness that fill the air. They believe all the happiness is for the other people not them. Some feel they don’t deserve it, some field they don’t have anyone who cares about them and some are just scared of being hurt if they let their guard down. Be alert to friends who suddenly seem distant or sad. Listen to them. Sometimes that is all they want. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and that those who need help to find that spirit get the help they need.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 3:50 pm
    • Thank you for the reminder. Many are experiencing the holidays for the first time without a loved one. This time of year can magnify one’s sorrow over loss.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 9:27 pm
      • Oh, you have NO IDEA how that feels. Been there. It takes you to a very dark place when you are left all alone. I lost my husband, my soulmate of 35 yrs., and exactly 4 Mos before that, I lost my dad. My two rocks. Our 4 grown kids all scattered to the wind to go spend the holidays away from ‘home’ because they couldn’t cope with the losses. I was left totally alone. All my family is completely out of state. The pain of my losses was so horrific, I almost didn’t pull through. NOTHING in my life had ever hurt so bad. I drove from Spring Hill to Clearwater on Christmas Eve and sat parked in the back of an old empty warehouse bldg. and sat there til well after midnight bawling my eyes out and trying to pray. I was just hoping SOMEBODY, somewhere would call my phone…that just maybe I mattered to someone. It never rang. :'( I have never felt so alone or so abandoned in my life. I don’t own a gun, so no worries there, but I seriously contemplated driving right off a bridge. My heart was so broken. I needed my kids, and they all turned to their friends and spouses to help them. I had no one. That Christmas Eve night I spent most of the night right there. I cried myself to sleep, which in itself is probably what saved my life. I am a 2x stroke survivor, and how I survived the 2nd acute stroke with no major complications, was truly an act of God. I get exhausted and weak quite easily, and this was the case, so I fell asleep. I woke up just after 4 a.m. and still felt very tired, but I was calm. I made the long drive back home very slowly, and came in, took out my dog, took my meds, and went straight to bed. I slept most of the day, and never even turned on the TV. I could not bear hearing ANYTHING related to Christmas. I ate hot dogs, took a long hot bath and got dressed for bed. Then I played my favorite games on my phone til I fell asleep again. I never heard from my kids that day. They could not bring themselves to come home, or call to say Merry Christmas as there was nothing merry about it. We all just wanted to forget the giant hole left in our family from these two losses. I couldn’t help them…I couldn’t blame them.
        It’s been 3 yrs now, it’s gotten easier to talk about. But we now go out for Thanksgiving as we no longer sit around the ‘family table’. That tradition has died. There has not been a Christmas tree in my home since 2013. I still cannot bring myself to celebrate Christmas anymore. I buy for the kids and grandkids, and take them over by Christmas eve at the latest. I don’t do Christmas dinners here anymore. If I get invited elsewhere, I might go, but otherwise I will be alone again this year. I just can’t get back to where I was. It will never be the same. The pain is always there, but there are certain triggers that set it off. A memory flashback, their birthdays, the lost anniversary, the holiday meals and family time. It’s taking a long while for me to find my way back…maybe one day I will.
        Sorry this was soo very long. Just maybe somebody out there can identify and relate to my story…

Signed–
        Forever broken hearted :'(

Sunday, 26 November 2017, 5:42 am
        • I just want you to know that I read your story and you are in my prayers.

Sunday, 26 November 2017, 7:37 pm
          • I read your story to. You are so brave. I’m glad your still here. Never give up.

Sunday, 26 November 2017, 10:57 pm
        • Bless you, there is always a plate here for you

Monday, 27 November 2017, 10:55 am
  • Prayers for the lady and her family

Friday, 24 November 2017, 3:25 pm
  • Any updates?

Friday, 24 November 2017, 12:49 pm
  • it says they’re reporting it as a death investigation

Friday, 24 November 2017, 11:46 am
  • I am so sorry that this young lady took her life. She was probably so depressed and she saw no way out of her situation. Depression is a horrible thing and even if you get help, sometimes the illness ends in death. Prayers for her and her Family as they deal with the loss of their loved one.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 10:22 am
    • A person in mental distress surrounded by police on bull horns and flashing lights…Not a good out come…My goodness are we living in 1400 bc here????

Friday, 24 November 2017, 8:34 pm
  • THERE was a death investigation on Anderson snow @ 3:37 I hope this was not related 🙁

Friday, 24 November 2017, 9:25 am
  • This is so sad. Her poor family. Prayers for all.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 8:59 am
  • My heartfelt prayers for this woman and her situation. I’ve NEVER been as lonely in a place as I have been in hernando county. I’ve also NEVER thought about harming myself because hernando county really ISN’T WORTH TAKING YOUR LIFE FOR. I pray for her situation to be rectified and that she will find peace and happiness in her life again.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 8:54 am
    • Well load your @$$ up and go. Prayers for the family!

Friday, 24 November 2017, 11:47 am
    • I know how you feel

Friday, 24 November 2017, 1:33 pm
    • You can always move if you think that way or maybe you should talk to a mental health professional if you feel alone and isolated in a tri county area of a million people.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 8:08 pm
  • Prayers for the lonely soul. Almost 2 years ago I know someone that took his life because he felt a burden on his family. No one knows the pain inside a person if no one is listening. It is so so very sad. All of us can be driven to points of desperation, loneliness and sadness. Everyone must always speak up and let everyone know we are there for them so we never lose a loved one in the tragic way. Please never get so lost in your own life you forget about someone you care about.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 6:26 am
  • Sending prayers to all involved

Friday, 24 November 2017, 6:00 am
  • I don’t know who it is but suicide is not the answer. Everyone goes through tough times, some tougher than others but suicide takes the pain and puts it on the ones you love. You are NOT alone. There is hope even when you think there isn’t. People love you. Do not be afraid to look for help in ANY situation you are in. 1-800-273-8255 is the national suicide hotline. Please if you are afraid that you may hurt yourself or others please please please take the time to call this number. It saves lives. Happy holidays people.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 1:23 am
    • Well Said Kayli! I will be praying extra for our community through the holidays. Please call the hotline if you are suicidal. Suicide is not the answer. I care. There are thousands in our county who care too. If you don’t want to call a professional counselor, call me. I am not a licensed counselor but I do have a big heart and am willing to listen. 345-8782

Friday, 24 November 2017, 12:14 pm
    • Suicide is very selfish. The one who commits it doesn’t care about those that they leave behind to struggle with their death for the rest of their lives. The what if’s, why didn’t I’s and all that go with it. May this lady rest in peace and may her family not suffer too much because of her selfish act of suicide.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 12:31 pm
      • In know that people say that “suicide is very selfish”. I really don’t like to hear that because it is obvious that if a person is suicidal, they are not thinking about how they are hurting the people who care about them and love them. Usually suicide is about “not having hope”..not having hope that “things will change or get better”. When people are in that state of mine, believe me, they are not thinking about anything other than ending their painful life. Many people commit suicide around the Holidays and in many cases it is due to “losing loved ones” and feeling all alone. I could have been a statistic myself after losing my Husband and six short months later, my only child, my Son passed away.. I will be the first one to admit that suicide seemed like the only option for me at that time. I did get help and that’s the only reason that I am here today.. The Holidays for me are the hardest times especially when you have no Family and very few friends. I have to stay strong, but sometimes I wonder, “who for”? Holidays are the loneliest time of the year for me and it really hurts to be all alone.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 6:08 pm
        • Praying for your encouragement.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 9:32 pm
        • Yes, it does Joanne…how well I know. :'(

Sunday, 26 November 2017, 5:51 am
  • So incredibly sad 😭 and tragic. Apparently this lady didn’t feel she had friends or family to spend the day with.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 12:30 am
  • I totally understand but what a shame people don’t see the signs until it’s too late. Prayers for the LEO’s involved.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 12:01 am
  • May she rest in peace and she doesn’t have to worry about fighting the demons anymore God bless her I only hope she’s flying high with the angels

Thursday, 23 November 2017, 11:23 pm
    • She may not be dead

Friday, 24 November 2017, 2:25 am
    • Just a regular joe, where does it say she died???? I read ” fire rescue transported the victim to the hospital where her condition remains unknown.” Do you have inside info???

Friday, 24 November 2017, 8:46 am
      • That’s what I was thinking as well. Someone obviously didn’t do the report right.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 3:24 pm
        • Sadly she is gone and even sadder that people choose to speculate when they know nothing. (Not addressing this to you specifically). I know the family, have for years, and it’s a very sad, tragic life altering situation for all involved.

Friday, 24 November 2017, 6:53 pm
      • Read JACK’s reply at the top…posted early Sun a.m…she passed away.

Sunday, 26 November 2017, 5:55 am
  • Praying for this woman and her familes

Thursday, 23 November 2017, 11:12 pm
  • So very sad. Has anyone heard any more on her condition?

Thursday, 23 November 2017, 11:04 pm