New Details In Fatal Shooting – Victims and Suspect Identified

UPDATE: 3/11/2016, 7:20 P.M. – Officials have now identified the deceased as 34-year-old Leo David Yepiz of Brooksville. We will continue to bring more updates as they come available.

SPRING HILL – Early this morning, RNRF responded to Bamboos Bar & Eatery on Commercial way, after reports of a shooting that left one person dead and two injured – including the alleged shooter. ORIGINAL REPORT

There are unconfirmed reports that suggest the shooter was involved in an altercation, inside the bar, that led to a physical altercation with the victims. Once outside, witnesses say the shooter fired shots at the two victims – killing one and critically injuring the other.

According to officials, next of kin have been notified, but due to the deceased victim having multiple identities, his name is not being released at this time.

The second victim is identified as 26-year-old Cesar Acosta of Spring Hill. Doctors have listed his condition as Critical.

The suspect has been identified as 25-year-old Thomas M. Durkin of Brooksville. Officials say he has fully cooperated with the investigation. It is not known at this time if he will face charges.

shoot 4 Shoot 3 shoot 2 Shoot 1

Comments
  • Self Defense. People chased him after he left the bar going to his truck and tried to jerk him out of the truck, from my understanding. Two were shot. One died.
    Blood was inside his truck, also from what I understand.
    Anyone know how the other guy’s wounds turned out?

Saturday, 4 March 2017, 3:55 pm
  • why didn’t the shooter go to jail at all?

Friday, 3 March 2017, 10:29 am
  • Wow this is all ridiculous. For all of you that think that your hands are clean I pray for you because we all make mistakes no one person is perfect in this world. I hope you never have to feel the pain of losing a loved one in this life or critically injured. The critically injured man you are also bashing as well as the dead guy fought in these wars and served his court to keep your freedom, so instead of stating all the negative comments remember he also made you safe at night. Also yes Tommy may have a carrying permit that is all our Constitutional rights and can use the weapon but the second that their is no threat or the victims turn their back and walk away is no longer a self defend and stand your ground that is murder the second people get shot in the back. So for all that think they know better make sure you know the facts that both victims were shot in the back wich constitutes as murder and attempted murder.

Friday, 25 March 2016, 5:35 pm
  • No one is without sin, no one has the right to judge what they don’t know… It saddeness me to see and read people judging and talking about one person who they know nothing of. Everyone makes mistakes no one is perfect and if you think you are then I pray for you. I pray for all who speak ill of people. If your mom never told you then I will,,, “If you have nothing nice to say then don’t say anything at all”… Only God knows the truth only God knows our hearts and ONLY GOD can judge us!!!

Monday, 21 March 2016, 10:46 pm
  • “But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”
    ‭‭John‬ ‭8:7‬ ‭ASV‬‬

Monday, 21 March 2016, 10:31 pm
  • Each and everyone of u are pathetic and sicking!!! Just because people mad mistakes in the past does not mean they deserve to be treated like this!!!! At the end of the day there was a life lost and another one hurt!!!! Last time I check all u fucking idiots didn’t give these two men life so therefore it is not nor will it every be okay for u to choose when it’s time for them to go if if what was done was deserved!!!! Sicking God forbid this happens to anyone of ur family members and this is how they talk about then!!!! This can happen to anyone u can be at the wrong place wrong time!!!! Oh and by the way the Man U guys are slandering so damn much surved this country and keep it safe for quiet some time!!!! Let’s just pray none of u have to go throu what our family is going throu and that God dosent punishing for throwing stones!!!

Thursday, 17 March 2016, 4:10 pm
  • The dead had no respect for himself? And you assume that how? I’m very confused as to why folks think they can be disrespectful and make ignorant ***comments..

Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 10:53 pm
  • It’s Evans along with Nancy and Linda who are running drug houses disguised as bars.
    Jerseys is known for coke. Bamboos is known for drawing hoodlums.
    Apparently the dead had no respect for himself.

Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 9:33 am
  • Any updates

Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 12:33 am
  • Have some respect for the deceased and keep Evans and Linda out of it.

Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 2:33 pm
  • you people need you like maybe you’re the one that need to look in the mirror and judge yourself when does a very good person if you knew her so I need your comment and your your neg or shall I say negativity out of us plus I’m sure you guys aren’t innocent none of you people probably trash just like the rest of everybody else you’re saying it grow up and get a life instead of writing negative thoughts or negative feedback from here yeah I’m going to say go f*** yourself and I’m going to stick up for Linda

Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 11:27 am
  • During my concealed weapons permit class, I was taught to empty my gun when I use it. You don’t just shoot one time in self defense, you empty the clip.
    So Leo was mad at this guy for ripping him off a few weeks back. Was a police report made and if not, why? Were there drugs that were ripped off or what? If something was stolen from Leo, the right thing for him to do would have been to file a report and let the police handle it, not for him to take matters into his own hands and get himself killed.
    In cases like this, I don’t feel for those injured or killed, I feel sorry for the innocent family members who are left behind. I do feel this is self defense and I also feel that Leo and Cesars friends are making matters worse for them, in what they are and have posted. Keep your mouths shut!!!
    If you check out the people sticking up for Leo and their friends, you will find that many of them are associated with a lot of criminals who have records for drugs. All of them, including the shooter and his friends. The shooter was smart and took his Facebook page off line so that nobody could find out more about him. Smart move with the deactivation.

Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 9:33 am
  • You people are so very sad. Is anyines lifecperfect…..answer no. We all make choices sometimes right and sometimes wrong but that does not mean that anyone deserves to be shot two times in the head and there times in the stomach. My thoughts are with all these families. Just so you know I don’t believe drugs was what this was about. No one should shoot anyoneclikexthat and try to claim self defense. So until all the facts are out stop playing detective as I believe we have a police force who are more then capable of getting to the truth. For the relatives who have posted please accept my condolences for your liss.

Monday, 14 March 2016, 4:14 pm
  • Its k what goes around comes around karma is a bitch let the veteran keep talking **** ..it makes him feel good leaving comments of someone that cant defend himself has no respect for the dead …

Monday, 14 March 2016, 1:26 pm
  • Well shooter still in hospital under protective custody that’s why not in jail…in addition I hope Cesar Acosta hasn’t passed as he idea s a close personal friend….Just don’t know what to believe at the moment!

Monday, 14 March 2016, 1:04 pm
  • Proud Veteran. Once again, glad your life and family are so perfect. Apparently we were not brought as well as you were… yeah that must be it. Hope you are right about your family not making the news when they die. But you are a liar. Your not sorry so why say so? It is obvious you were never taught any kind of respect or even compassion for that matter. It’s sad when veterans like you go around being hateful and ignorant, it reflects poorly on the rest of us.

Monday, 14 March 2016, 11:22 am
  • Relative of the deceased, no one would talk like that about my loved ones if they passed because first of all they would not make front page news, second they would not be listed as a crime suspect, third they have no criminal records. My family were all raised with respect and to treat others the same and to go out and work a REAL JOB and make a living. Drug dealing is not a real job, and crime is not a career. Sorry for your loss but that’s how the ending eventually becomes in many cases.

Monday, 14 March 2016, 8:27 am
  • Bars, alcohol, 25 year old testosterone, women to show off manhood in front of, …. trouble …. this is nothing new. Been around a long, long time.
    Drugs being used and sold in and around bars is part of the social life of people going out for a good time around here and everywhere. There’s nothing unusual about the two bars mentioned and being trashed on here. A guy I deal with hangs at Karma and they are a bunch of nice people over there. Become known at any bar and you’ll be able to find someone who can come up with a little weed or some coke. Even at the country club.
    Loss of life is tragic. But, guys trying to pull a redneck boy out of his truck to give more of a beating just might get shot in the struggle over his gun. Be careful with that testosterone out there.
    Prayers for all the family and friends. As well as for bar owners and bartenders being crucified for the actions of others

Monday, 14 March 2016, 8:27 am
  • I hope some of you ppl lose someone close to you so we can jump on hear and talk ***t for you to read…you ******* scumbags

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 8:04 pm
  • Sorry wrong information. Cesar is alive and doing well according to his sister.

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 8:04 pm
  • My son told me that Cesar died this morning. I would like to find out why the shooter isn’t in jail.

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 7:54 pm
  • Unfortunately he passed .

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 7:06 pm
  • Any update on Cesar Acosta?

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 5:25 pm
  • Any update on any charges on the gun man

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 4:11 pm
  • For all of you with nothing but bad things to say please think about our family. Yes he wasn’t perfect but that doesn’t mean he deserved to die. You should be ashamed of yourselves to talk sbout the dead that way. I’m sure everyone you love is just perfect and has had perfect lives. I hope no one talks about your loved ones like that when you lose them.

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 3:32 pm
  • Noel, tough words. Betting you have a criminal record as well.

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 12:49 pm
  • Apparently the majority feels strongly about what a **** hole this bar is !!!!! So do something about it start a petition,contact the county commissioners do something and have this place shut down. Hold the owners responsible. Maybe if owners of bars were arrested every time something negative happens in or outside of their establishment they would try harder to be in control, instead of one of the drunks at the bar. I think the family of the deceased and the other 2 guys should all sue Linda and her staffing the property owner for letting such an establishment reside there. If there is a fight inside the bar the worst thing you can do is throw everyone out at the same time. Do they think as long as they send it outside its okay. I’m no bouncer or bar owner but I would think common sense would be to have one side of the altercation leave and when they have vacated the premises remove the other half. If they won’t leave call and have them trespassed. Ejecting everyone at once is asking for a disaster.

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 12:48 pm
  • Anybody want to score some ds or weak coke. Go to the the dope supply house next to Jerseys. Sell guns too.

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 12:35 am
  • To all the ones who are talking s**t about my couzin f*&k you. I would love to hear you say that sh** in front of my face..you all have no idea..

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 10:48 pm
  • Regardless of anyone’s criminal record that does not give someone the authority to take away their life. Self defense does not constitute in shooting someone in the head multiple times. Please be compassionate for the families suffering a loss whether or not they brought this on themselves it doesn’t take away the pain a mother, sister, brother and their son feel. I pray that none of you have to go through such thing.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 9:44 pm
  • Also someone who leaves and altercation to go get a gun from his vehicle and then point blank shoot someone in the head is NOT self defense.. his *** could have left.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 8:34 pm
  • Oh so because someone has a record they deserve to die? Nice how bout you say that to the countless friends his sister and family then. The real scum bags are people who think their fucking options count .. most people who live in spring hill and Brooksville aren’t even from the area. . Smh. Yall are ruthless and hateful

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 8:30 pm
  • Sandman why don’t you go back to the bronx please take some of these other low life New Yorkers with you if it’s so bad

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 2:46 pm
  • Let’s cut to the chase here, both of these bars need to be shut down period. Linda is a drug dealing slut who enables her wanna be gangster son Dillon. You have to be either dumb deaf or blind not to know any of this. Jerseys in my opinion should move away from bamboos location if possible. Linda needs to be driven out of there period. She allowed all this to happen as an owner as it started in the bar and escalated to what we see now. If she had proper security and sharp eyed bartenders this could have been prevented. Yet thugs will be thugs!! Wanna be **** heads. Pull that shit in the Bronx and watch what would happen.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 12:40 pm
  • Proud Veteran. You say 3 felons but I only see two with records. I don’t see anything on the shooter. For all we know this could have been self defense

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 12:27 pm
  • Criminals that don’t hurt others don’t deserve death. As for the criminals that harm people on the regular, you can’t avoid karma, wrath, payback…whatever you want to call it.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 11:47 am
  • New name for Spring Hill is now Spring Hell

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 11:20 am
  • Selena, if Leo was such a great guy what was he doing outside that bar involving himself in the altercation? Look at the other two, all three have criminal records, one even has multiple identities. Come on now, face the facts. This is just another way of cleaning up the community. Let these drug dealing thugs kill each other. Save the Sheriffs from wasting their bullets. No sympathy here. This is a case of felon vs felon vs felon. Say what you want, their criminal profiles tell the story. Someone always has to come on here and defend the bad guy’s, oh he was such a good boy, Bull Sh_t!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 9:21 am
  • @just another commenter its hard to show compassion for some drug dealers starting some shit and getting dealt with. They bring it on there own families and friends when they choose that kind of life style. I know the victims and they are far from sqeaky clean should of been locked up anyway.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 9:20 am
  • Hey Babs its a low life bar check with HCSO how many times they are called there with multiple units thats a fact

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 9:07 am
  • Look at HCSO website for the day the dead guy was arrested, 2.5.16. Now we know why HCSO had a hard time identifying him. Here’s the name he used then.
    Inmate Name: ELKHATIB, DAVID
    Booking #: HCSO16JBN000571
    MNI #: HCSO16MNI000440
    Sex/Race: M / W
    Date Of Birth: 07/11/1994
    Booking Date/Time: 02/05/2016 04:52
    Release Date/Time: 02/06/2016 22:47
    Current Date/Time: 03/12/2016 06:46

If he didn’t have anything to hide he wouldn’t be lying to the police and ignoring the court he was supposed to show up in. He’s not as innocent as people make him sound and truth be known, he’s probably a dealer to a lot of these idiots.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 6:48 am
  • Dealer’s doing what they do. And since they are from Brooksville…they need to take their ‘business’ BACK to Brooksville…and keep it OUT of Spring Hill. I’m sick of them ruining our town.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 6:31 am
    • The young man who died apparently resided in the Brookridge community. Just across Hwy 50 from Spring Hill and fairly far from Brooksville. Much more associated with the west side of the county and Spring Hill than Brooksville.

Sunday, 13 March 2016, 1:30 am
  • It is what it is

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 6:28 am
  • 2016-03273/1
    02/05/16 22:48 YEPIZ, LEO DAVID
    (07/11/1981)
    901.31 – FAILURE TO APPEAR
    16425 SPRING HILL DR
    2016-03172/1
    02/05/16 04:26 YEPIZ, LEO DAVID
    (07/11/1981)
    901.36 – PROVIDING FALSE NAME/INFO TO LAW ENFORCEMENT
    NORWOOD ST & MONTANO AVE

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 5:05 am
    • Ok?? but did you die? Leo you will be missed. (……)

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 8:57 pm
      • Hi Antoine! Truthseeker, regardless of some poor decisions Leo may have made, he was a good hearted person who didn’t deserve to die.

Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 11:01 am
  • A coke head who is/was an absconder from his home state is dead. A career criminal is in critical condition. When you try to live the thug life, you get what’s coming to you. Yes a guy lost his life and his friend is critically injured. I feel sorry for his family. They don’t deserve to have this hurt. Leo (Jordan, Smurf and all his other names) was well known in the bar scene. If the shooter didn’t feel it was self defense I don’t think he would have hung around for the police.
    Bamboo’s is a complete dive, nothing but scum that go there. Jersey’s is no better. I recall one time I was at the old Mermaids and there was an incident where a young man found another young man overdosing behind the bar (between Mermaid’s and Jersey’s) in the alley. There is and has been rampant drug abuse at both bars, with Jersey’s being a favorite of the cops and firefighters. People go between these two bars. I was in Jersey’s one time and witnessed Jennifer nodding off, as most junkies end up doing and it was a matter of a couple of weeks later she was dead too. If half drunk patrons can notice this, why aren’t the bartenders and the bar owners? It’s because they are just as intoxicated as the most serious drunks they serve.
    What Hernando County really needs is to put undercovers in these bars, undercovers who can be trusted that is and listen to what so many people have been saying. Drugs are readily available in most of these bars and Jersey’s and Bamboo’s are known to draw these who have been arrested before for drugs. How do I know this? I was approached to buy some and I don’t even do that ****. I drink and that’s about it.
    Those who don’t like what I have to say, it’s too bad. It’s all verifiable and videos roll. Just saying. Clean up your act or shut these **** holes down.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 4:57 am
  • Who’s the older blonde that serves at bamboos? I went there one time with my whole family for a birthday celebration. We all spent about $1,000 and probably tipped 100 or 2 hundred and the woman never cracked a smile. We all had a great time anyway but after the fact we all talked about how depressing she was and how if we let her she could’ve been the ultimate killjoy. We will never go back there. By the way, bars and guns are not a good combination. what happened to the good old days of fist fighting it outor having your friends jump in to help youor hitting somebody with a pool cue or an empty bottle?

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 4:45 am
  • It’s not drugs, I personally know tommy. He’s a good dude just two dumdass drunks startin shit with him, and tommy standing up for himself

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 2:00 am
    • COULDN’T AGREE MORE(JERSEY)

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 3:57 pm
    • But why bring a gun to a bar in the first place? Why not chalk it up to bad decisions and walk away? Now my friend is dead, and for what?

Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 10:59 am
  • There is trash everywhere and there are drugs, drug dealers, drunks and deaths as well. Sad but true and wayyyyyy more in larger cities. However I find it absolutely disgusting and pathetic that the victims in this incident who lost his life and the other in critical condition at risk of losing his as well are having their arreat record thrown around in commemts and being degraded/ slandered. Have some compassion seriously these men have families who are grieving or praying for recovery while you leave these comments for them to read. Imagine this was your son, brother, husband, father.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 12:44 am
    • Thank you for that. I have known Leo and his brothers since the 3rd grade, and reading this thread is pretty painful. Regardless of how he lived his life, he didn’t deserve to die at the hands of someone else. Leo had a heart of gold, and anyone who knew him loved him.

Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 10:57 am
  • —- you. Leo was a person that didn’t deserve to lose his life. You don’t need to feel bad , you’re a nobody. You will be missed Leo your friends and family love you ❤

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 12:43 am
  • Jerseys and Bamboos is the cesspool of Spring Hill

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 12:35 am
  • This place needs to be shut down !!!!! It’s a trashy bar owned by a drunk, and she is white trash . I’ve seen her and her boyfriend/husband smoking pot in broad daylight outside the bar so I have no respect for her. Her and her thug of a son have done nothing but bring this town down since they opened Mermaids. I’m pretty sure she changed the name due to all the lawsuits. I’ve been in there twice for a total of 10 miutes and you couldn’t pay me to go back. At this point the state needs to pull her liquor license and problem solved. How many people have to get hurt or killed in her place of business before some one does something. You can’t run an upstanding bar if you’re to drunk to see what’s really happening around you. If she wanted to change the name to take out the trash she should have a dress code and enforce it. Collared shirts, no hats, no shorts and 23 and over if nothing else it’s would be a start. I have no respect for her or her establishment if you can’t keep your own child in check what makes you think you can control a bar full of kids !!!!!!

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 12:33 am
  • Leo is just another Coke dealer gone!!! I don’t feel bad! And Linda is s great person and has a awesome bar and anyone who says different is jealous of what she has and how hard she worked for it! It’s unfortunate that trash happens to go to her bar just like they do at amnesia, karma, and especially jerseys!! You want to know about drug deals lol go to jerseys!!!!! Let’s not forget how many times that place got raided and should be closed down!!!

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 12:22 am
  • Alot of arrests for Cesar Acosta in Hernando, a recent two for Yepiz the dead guy.

Friday, 11 March 2016, 10:06 pm
  • How can linda want to get rid of the trash at the bar when her son dylan runs the bar when he is not in jail or prison. Linda is dirty as a babys diaper.

Friday, 11 March 2016, 9:06 pm
  • Serves them right people always starting s**t grow the f**k up can’t anyone just go to a bar and enjoy themselves without these trouble makers and wanna be folk nation bullshit wanna be gangsters and drug addicts like seriously spring hill is getting sh*tter every month I feel bad for my future children that have to grow up with all the s**t going on

Friday, 11 March 2016, 8:56 pm
  • Bay News 9 said the person killed was: Leo David Yepiz

Friday, 11 March 2016, 7:49 pm
  • You should check your facts before you go slamming another bar that wasn’t even involved. Just saying…

Friday, 11 March 2016, 7:32 pm
  • Thank you ” the truth of the matter” for letting us know where you haven’t gone and won’t go.
    Know I’ve been sitting here on pins and needles waiting to find out more about your life since all this is really all about you.

Friday, 11 March 2016, 7:29 pm
  • Truth being , when the owners of these Bars (Jerseys and Bamboos), owners are the best drunks in the Bars they own, They will bring scum in, It just happens!

Friday, 11 March 2016, 6:24 pm
  • this bar is nothng but problems….in the news yet AGAIN.

Friday, 11 March 2016, 5:41 pm
  • WANNABE thugs being WANNABE thugs dumb….

Friday, 11 March 2016, 5:15 pm
  • So sorry for the loss of another life. When Linda moved this bar, and changed the name from Mermaids to Bamboos, her intent was to get rid of the trash. From the looks of Bamboos Facebook page, she’s attracted more trash then she had before. I went to Mermaids twice and have never been to Bamboos. I’ll never go to any of the bars in Spring Hill. The people from Jerseys are trying to get Bamboos shut down because they have lost a lot of business. It’s not due to Bamboos, it’s due to the clients that Jerseys attracts, the rampant drug abuse openly evident, the owner getting drunk off his *** and being abusive to his bartender, who became his girl. Jerseys and Bamboos need to be closed down. Linda is a nice lady but her bar is out of control.

Friday, 11 March 2016, 4:57 pm
  • Perhaps this will be a wake up call to this town. We really need to get this generation in check. Regardless of what caused this violence a life was lost and that is truly tragic. My sympathy to his family and friends.

Friday, 11 March 2016, 4:26 pm