New Sheriff’s Office Substation Coming to Crime Plagued Area

SPRING HILL – Business owners and residents who live in the area of Kass Circle will have a new sense of security come Friday; that’s when officials say they plan to open a new Sheriff’s Office substation in the area.

Owner of the Market Place Plaza, Steve Ericksson approached Sheriff Nienhuis and offered to provide free space for the substation, after tenants complained of some issues in the immediate area.

Captain James Powers and Lieutenant Jeff Kraft of the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office have been working together with Mr. Ericksson to prepare the office for operation.

The substation will be situated in a store-front in the same plaza with Papa Clyde’s Ice Cream.

The grand opening will take place on July 17 at 11 a.m. Sheriff Nienhuis and some of his staff will be on site to “officially” open the office for the first time and to greet citizens.

Due to budgetary constraints, the substation will not be a full-service office; it will be manned by volunteers, say officials.

Kass

Comments
  • Only if they built the building. If they didn’t build it, or don’t own the building, they don’t pay taxes and the rent they pay has to used on the airport. NONE of it goes to the county general funjd. I do get my facts right. Now why don’t you? At least get your name right. Only stupid people that are ashamed of themselves or aren’t so sure that they know what they are talking about hide behind a pseudonym. I would suggest you grow a pair.

Sunday, 19 July 2015, 9:27 am
  • Just so folks know the businesses in the airport industrial park do pay taxes on there buildings and pay rent for the land they sit on get your facts right

Sunday, 19 July 2015, 7:45 am
  • Citizen arrest is a little more complicated. Beside a felony being committed you actually need to prove you saw it occur and knew it was a felony.

Friday, 17 July 2015, 1:22 pm
  • Dennis Purdy…I do agree with the facts that you presented…I too believe that this county’s general fund (budget) is being greatly mismanaged. I would also move (out of Florida) if I could sell my home without taking a huge loss. Those of you that say “if you don’t like it here, move.” Believe me, if I could I would! Living in Florida is like living in quick sand…figuratively and literally. And NO I’m not from NY.

Thursday, 16 July 2015, 8:24 pm
  • The deal is simple. Buy my house for a quarter mill and I’ll laugh all the way to the third best small city in the U.S., my home town, where they have real schools.

Thursday, 16 July 2015, 6:37 pm
  • Lmao that’s why the county is screwed up because of people like you Mr. Dennis please move out of this county

Thursday, 16 July 2015, 3:48 pm
  • If they think there life maybe threatened in any way they should have there gun drawn. This is crooksville. Idk I have lived her for 20yrs and never gave SO a reason to come on my property with there gun drawn. I’m sure there is more to your story.

We should raise taxes though which is why this post started. Everybody moves here from NY because of taxes being high. Well if everybody lives here the county needs to raise taxes to support the county infrastructure which is y NY taxes are so high, due to population. If you don’t like it here get out and move on. The old and nearly dead are holding back this county from growing.

Thursday, 16 July 2015, 8:54 am
    • Punisher, I’d sugges you get out more. Clear up your prison pallet. Or is that from setting in the corner of the grade school for twenty years?

Thursday, 16 July 2015, 2:50 pm
  • My response to Punisher was that a sissy female sergeant went off half cocked and approached, a well established member of the community, with gun drawn, before taking the few minutes to find out what her case was, all signs of poor training. I called Mauer who stated this was policy. So I informed Mike to info his officers that if that was policy they would no longer be allowed on my property without a warrant. I would consider it trespassing and would defend ym property.

Thursday, 16 July 2015, 8:35 am
  • Evidently Tom Lemons won’t print the truth. I gave him a response to Punisher and he wouldn’t print it. I’ll just quit reading.

Thursday, 16 July 2015, 7:44 am
  • They need to keep police in that area consistantly, not just have a substation run by volunteers! While i’m sure Operation Par -the drug addiction clinic- was meant to be a good thing it attracts some less than favorable citizens to that area. The Walgreens is always experiencing problems with druggies and theives, most times they are gone before the police show up. With kid friendly shops such as Brick University, The Book Fair and Papa Clydes Ice Cream we need to spend some time and money making that area a safe place for them.

Thursday, 16 July 2015, 12:26 am
  • @ Tubbs because if you’d ever have to use it they would want you to hit the person you where aiming at Ingram=missed targets lol

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 11:00 pm
  • Another suck station….just like the one on forest oaks….went there for some legal issues…sorry you have to go to brooksville…..what are waste…..wait till you ask a volunteer a legal question…..huuuuh?

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 10:32 pm
  • Dennis u sound like the stupid one. If SO comes on your property it’s a trespass lmao. News Flash if they are on your property u must have did something wrong. Lmao you will loss

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 10:31 pm
  • Punisher: I didn’t knock them. I stated a fact. Do your research. Or are you too lazy or stupid. And I have informed HCSO that entry on my property without a warrant will constitute a trespass. I am a former cop and very capable to handle myself and my weapons.

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 7:02 pm
  • Don’t knock the police or fire because one day when u need them you will be wishing you voted to keep them funded. It’s always a waste of money until u need them.

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 3:57 pm
  • Punisher: The problem isn’t money. The HCSO uses 45 percent of the general fund budget, about 20 percent more than surrounding counties. The problem is poor training, low hiring standards, etc. Another large part of the problem is the poor economic conditions in Hernando County, a contributing factor to most of the county’s difficulties.
    There are basically five main reasons for the poor economy;
    1. The two hospitals are basically making all their profit off the ERs, approximately $100 million a year leaving this county.
    2. 110 businesses that would normally pay property taxes, are tenants of the airport where they don’t pay property taxes, passing the costs on to the rest of the tax payers.
    3. The county Fire/EMS are over represented on the BOCC and are the biggest waste of money in the county.
    4. A third of the county property is owned by the county, keeping it off the tax rolls and at the same time costing tax payers to maintain.
    5. The BOCC as $131 million in reserves, a full third of the total county budget, twice the annual revenue from taxes.
    Now the BOCC, fire and police may poo poo my claims, but note that they never dispute my facts.

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 12:09 pm
  • SO is week in this county. To busy about causing themselves paperwork then just arresting the person. Seen it first hand. But the taxes need to go up to fund public safety but the only people that go to the public meeting are the same old retired people with a fixed income or EBT cards milking the system, which need to be phased out. More young people live here now but are to busy working to make it to the meetings which doesn’t give us a chance to say our peace. I would gladly pay a extra few bucks a year to clean up this county.

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 9:48 am
  • Is Barney Fife one of the volunteers?

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 8:27 am
  • I’ll volunteer Al,
    But why are you telling me to leave my MAC-10 at home????

Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 2:05 am
  • Yep volunteers I feel safer already.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 10:08 pm
  • Chris it’s not in operation yet

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 8:53 pm
  • I guess I just don’t feel like this area is all that bad. Sure we have issues and budgets are tight but it seems to me the sheriff’s office does a good job for what we have, maybe we need to put state income tax on the table to fund public services better, and/or cut some politicians salaries

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 8:46 pm
  • Chris

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 4:01 pm
  • No christ that one is being opened on the 17th

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 4:00 pm
  • Hay Paul they are PSA they help out the police when they are busy why don’t you do some volunteering around here

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 3:58 pm
  • “Crime Hill” has really taken a dive in recent years just like it’s boarding town “Crooksville

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 3:57 pm
  • Oh so the sign that’s been there for a year will now have crochety old people in it when it’s not too hard to handle.
    VERY TYPICAL AL

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 3:01 pm
  • AL,
    Why didn’t you just put it across the street in the Apartments????

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 2:49 pm
  • Now the cops will have a place to eat their doughnuts and go to the bathroom.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 2:48 pm
  • more eyes the better, an it dosent cost a dime.thanks to the owner of the shopping center for giving the space an for the volunteers. its a plus in hernando county

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 2:26 pm
  • Isn’t that where everyone makes their drug buys and go shoplifting

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 2:20 pm
  • Volunteers might be better and sure they have authority, as much as any citizen with a permit.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 2:11 pm
  • If it’s free it’s for me.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 2:01 pm
  • Volunteers are more suited for a library or a church. Certainly not this crime ridden area. The sub station is a great idea and Steve Erickson is a saint for donating the space, but really, volunteers?? That’s just silly. I love RNRF for keeping us all in the loop so to speak, but telling people this sub station
    would be run by volunteers was probably not the best piece of information to put out there.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 1:46 pm
  • I really thought the cops were supposed to be public, not private security guards, meaning protecting everyones property, not just those that give them things. Pretty soon Al will have his troups going around collecting gratuities.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 1:42 pm
  • County needs to step up and sponsor qualified candidates for the LE Academy so we can get a bigger foot print to stop crime.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 1:10 pm
  • Volunteers..just like the retired cops they hire as crossing guards, no authority in case of an emergency

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 1:06 pm
    • No authority? we all have the authority to arrest, hold and/or detain a person that is committing a felony.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 2:48 pm
      • Yeah, give them a gun and they will land up shooting someone instead of tazing them.

Friday, 17 July 2015, 9:13 am
  • Isn’t there a new sub-station on Kass Cir. already? Right next to Papa Clyde’s. So there’s gonna be two right across the street from one another?

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 1:00 pm
    • Papa clydes has a “pilot” office dark as hell our tax payers pay for- I guess they think an empty office is to say Here we are- BS If they are to open another I’d like to know the point.
      I guess we all should go volunteer for neighborhood watch- and sticker our windows

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 9:07 pm
  • I was long boarding in that parking lot a few nights ago and saw two girls running away from some shady looking guy, who then turned his attention to me and started following me. Definitely not a good place to be at during the night

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 12:21 pm
  • Just curious what volunteers are going to do when a crime breaks out?

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 12:08 pm
  • Are you going to pay for Deputies ? It is better than nothing.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 11:46 am
  • oh jeez volunteers…probably retired NY cops like those old guys they use to direct traffic at accidents the traffic aids

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 11:44 am
  • What they need is full time cops there. Not volunteers. Pay them and they will stay and do something positive for the neighborhood.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 11:15 am