Newly-Sworn School Crossing Guard Victim in Early Morning Fatal Crash

SPRING HILL – The Florida Highway Patrol has now confirmed that the victim in this morning’s fatal crash on Barclay Ave was a newly-sworn Hernando County Sheriff’s Office School Crossing Guard.

According to officials, 65-year-old Laura Janicki was traveling northbound on Barclay Ave, near the entrance to the Silverthorn Country Club. As she approached the entrance to the gated community, she pulled into the outside, right turn lane to make a u-turn.  As result, a GMC pickup truck that was following directly behind Janicki, collided with the left side of her vehicle.

The driver of the pickup truck, 37-year-old Thomas Giotta, was not injured.

Janciki was transported to Bayfront Health Brooksville, where she later died from her injuries.

Janicki is pictured below, alongside three other crossing guards who were sworn in on Monday by Sheriff Al Nienhuis.

There are unconfirmed reports that Janicki was on her way to work when the accident occurred.

The Sheriff’s Office has not commented on the accident.

UPDATE: 3:06 P.M. – The Sheriff’s Office has now confirmed the passing of Laura Janicki and her position as a crossing guard. “Please join us in sending thoughts and prayers to the Janicki family,” is posted on the Sheriff’s Office Facebook Page.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing

Comments
  • Laura is my mother and my whole world…and I would like to ask nicely for All the negative comments to stop!!! It was an accident!! The driver of the truck did nothing wrong and I pray for this man and his family that they can find peace in their lives to get through this the same way we are!! God bless him and his family and may god help my family and I find away to live without her!! No words can express the pain and emptiness my family feels … But again no one was to blame this is very important to me that hate is not related to my mother death its not at all what she would have wanted!!!

Saturday, 18 November 2017, 10:52 am
  • Aw, that’s so sad. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 8:32 pm
  • Thanks you for the kind words. I would like to post the following
    Laurie Janicki – Wake will be Friday 11/17/17 for those wishing to pay their respects.

Jacob’s Funeral Home
    Address: 296 N Broad St, Brooksville, FL 34601
    Phone: (352) 593-4132

Hours 6pm – 8pm

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 5:17 pm
  • Some of you are idiots. I’m not mentioning any names, Mary, but someone died. Doesn’t even matter how it happened. We are human. We make mistakes. Bottom line, a person died, leaving family and friends to grieve. Pray for them. Pray for the other driver. Now, shut up and start acting like a human.

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 1:05 pm
    • Really?, thank you for being so closed minded to other’s opinion. Some people believe you can rejoice in death it doesn’t always have to be a sad time.

Friday, 17 November 2017, 7:11 am
  • Very sad for her family and also the poor man who was driving the truck. I am sure he feels terrible about what happened. Prayers for all.

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 10:21 am
  • The truck driver probably thought she was going into Silverthorn, so he had every right to pass her on the left. How would be know she was going to make a u turn at that point?

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 1:05 am
  • Why do folks have to dissect everything? Very sad….may she r.i.p..😥

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 11:26 pm
  • Played bowling with her in the Spring Hill Wednesday night mixed league she will be missed by us all…😢

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 10:19 pm
  • RIP sweetie you were fun in class and i was shocked when i was told what had happened to you. You will be missed

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 9:20 pm
  • As a off duty ems worker on the seen as the wreck happened. The driver of the pickup could not have done anything to avoid this crash. Sad for death of this lady. Rip

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 9:07 pm
  • It’s sad that the lady died but she should have been paying attention to her surroundings. Your car or truck is not the only vehicle on the road. As for the driver Of the truck I was there and seen the wreck you did everything right to avoid and try to stop this from happening.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 9:02 pm
  • THIS GOES OUT TO THE RUDE PEOPLE.. THY SHALL NOT JUDGE (ACCIDENT) GET IT? NOT A (ON PURPOSE) SAD SAD STORY MY HEART AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO ALL INVOLVED….MARY …WOW…JUST WOW..

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 8:51 pm
  • Wow her mistake cost her, her own life. Sad.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 8:31 pm
  • Thanks to all for their kind thought. She was a great lady and my significant other. I am still in shock and she was so excited to start helping the kids. I love you Laura and will miss you with all my heart

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 8:31 pm
    • I am so sorry for your loss Bill, this was a tragic accident and my husband and children will always remember this day as the day that changed all of our lives. My condolences to you and your family during this difficult time.

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 12:59 pm
      • Thanks you for the kind words. I would like to post the following
        Wake will be Friday 11/17/17 for those wishing to pay their respects.

Jacob’s Funeral Home
        Address: 296 N Broad St, Brooksville, FL 34601
        Phone: (352) 593-4132

Hours 6pm – 8pm

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 5:15 pm
        • So sad. Our prayers to the family. We remember her from our bowling league a few years back. RIP Laura.

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 6:48 pm
  • Thoughts and prayers to the Janicki family. RIP Laura

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 8:19 pm
  • My heart and prayers go out to this fine lady’s family. As for pickup truck driver, he obviously was not driving defensively. Uneducated guess is following too closely and not anticipating other drivers intentions. I’ve learned to drive with 2 feet – 1 for gas and 1 hovering near brake just in case. You have to be alert to your surroundings AND OTHER DRIVERS AROUND YOU.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 8:06 pm
    • How was the truck driver not driving defensively?He should of known someone was going to make a u-turn right in front of him?Really?Prayers for all

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 8:32 pm
    • Can’t drive defensively when people make u turn right in front of moving vehicles. When driver is in right turning lane and turns left or left u turn driver in other car has no chance in hell of avoiding it. Next time get your facts straight. I was there the truck was well enough behind but when someone turns into it’s path it just can’t magically stop.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 8:58 pm
    • This comment is extremely ignorant. If this happened to you driving a truck with a 30ft trailer I would love to see you stop it on a dime. This was a tragic accident and nothing my husband could have done would have prevented it. Though I don’t think asinine comments such as yours deserve recognition I had to provide my two cents. My family and I are grieving this tragic event and first Amendment rights shouldn’t give anyone the right to be cruel!

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 1:02 pm
    • He did everything he could for this not to happen. He is my family and is absolutely devastated by this horrible accident.
      The lives of two families changed that day. Shame on you for assuming

Wednesday, 22 November 2017, 8:49 pm
  • RIP Laura.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 7:46 pm
  • There are certain things that are fine on social media but the loss of a life is not – for you people who are sitting here judging with out knowing the facts it is time for you to shut up – There was a life lost and it will never be known why what happened, happened. Stop making up your own conclusions. For Mary up top, Shut up. You have no idea what your talking about. Ignorance is Bliss

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 6:55 pm
    • There are folks posting here that were eyes on witnesses that are posting here so your statement saying no one knows the facts is obviously wrong. We all make mistakes every day and unfortunately the one she made cost her life. Sad all around.

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 9:26 am
  • RIP. My condolences to the family.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 6:39 pm
  • Pick up truck drivers are the worst they think they own the roads and they fly and tailgate

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 6:03 pm
    • If people cant read a article right and comprehend how can you drive and not endanger people

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 8:29 pm
    • The pickup driver wasnt at fault. Did you even read the article.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 8:32 pm
    • For one – you have no clue what you are talking about you heartless person!! He was not flying by and he did not think he owned the road. And furthermore he was not tailgating. Were you there?? Don’t you think he has enough guilt! Judge not lest you be judged. I myself own a pick up truck and have seen many people around here in little sedans doing what you are accusing the other of doing. But I don’t judge them on social media. You should be ashamed of yourself! I hope you sleep well at night blaming people for things they are not at fault for.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 9:01 pm
    • Mary you don’t know what your talking about. Everybody drives recklessly at some point. Not just “Pick Up Truck Drivers”.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 10:26 pm
    • Mary your ignorance is showing! People drive trucks for many different reasons. Obviously you are extremely close minded and generally bitter.

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 1:30 am
    • Mary,is it hard going through life stupid or do you get use to it?

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 7:41 am
    • Mary…some one died here. Have some compassion instead of being some ass !!

Thursday, 16 November 2017, 10:23 am
  • She was a customer of mine this is so sad. R.I.P sweet lady.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 5:30 pm
  • What sad news. My thoughts and prayers to the entire Family and the Community who loved her. May she rest in Peace.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 5:21 pm
  • So sad, my heart is with her family.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 5:03 pm
  • RIP DEAR LADY! <3

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 4:40 pm
  • Watched this happen, instantly knew the driver of the red Honda was dead

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 4:31 pm
  • Tom, you might want to edit your story’s headline picture to show the victim and not two other people that were not involved. It is deceiving at first glance and might make folks think it was another person that was killed.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 4:23 pm
    • JMR,
      I agree she was not a victim. She was the casualty. Isn.t it funny how social media can redirect things? It is a very sad situation that this happened. Know one, will ever know why she decided to make a u-turn in front of that truck. The poor driver of the truck had no where to go. Now he has to remember it daily.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 7:39 pm
  • Very very tragic we are so sorry for her loss and for her family

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 3:27 pm
  • Probably never even looked before making the u-turn. Poor choice in this case.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 3:18 pm
    • Doesn’t matter she lost her life she has a family was this comment really necessary

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 4:23 pm
      • Of course it was. My comment was what I was thinking at that time. Are you the comment police? The lady made a mistake. And by her own fault, the mistake cost her her life. Your way is not the only way

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 6:00 pm
  • Quote// . . . has now confirmed the passing of Laura Janicki and her position as a crossing guard. //Endquote

Logically redundant, no?