No Apology from Dog Owners After Attack – RNRF Steps Up – Update

BROOKSVILLE – On Friday, we brought you the story of three teenagers who were attacked by a pair of Dogs while walking home from Nature Coast High School. CLICK HERE FOR ORIGINAL REPORT

None of the boys were seriously injured during the attack but one of the teens, 18-year-old Todd Hrevnak, is upset that the dogs ruined his new school shoes.

Because the dogs did not draw blood, Todd says Animal Services could not seize the animals; however, they did have him fill out an incident report. But this isn’t the first time the dogs have attacked people near the property. According to Todd, one of his friends was bitten by the same dogs the day before, leaving him with bruising and teeth marks on his hip.

After running the original story, several people contacted RNRF claiming that this is an ongoing problem with the dogs. Neighbors are concerned that someone will be seriously injured or killed before something is done to resolve the problem.

Surprisingly, Todd says he doesn’t hate the dogs; rather he just wants the owners to take precautions when securing them.

The dog’s owners have made no attempt to apologize or offer to pay to replace Todd’s torn shoes, so we decided to step in.

Understanding the challenges families face to make ends meet, buying a second pair of shoes is sometimes outside the budget.

Today we met with Todd and his mother, Lisa Kyle, at their home on Boca Raton Street, where we handed Todd a $50.00 gift card to be used towards the purchase a new pair of shoes.

During an interview, we asked Todd what he planned to do after graduating high school; without hesitation, he said “I’m joining the Marines.”

After spending time getting to know Todd, we have no doubt he’ll make a fine Marine and defend our country with pride and honor.

UPDATE: 8/31/2015, 6:45 PM – According to Todd Hrevnak the owners of the dogs have issued an apology for the incident.

Gift Card 1

Bite 1

Gift Card 2 Bite 4 bite 3 Bite 2 bite 5

Comments
  • I know the girl and her dogs don’t bark or bite me

Saturday, 5 September 2015, 10:03 am
  • Truth hurts right kimwhatever….you’re to gangsta for me…lol..get a job and stop watching Jerry Springer ya disrespectful b**h…

Tuesday, 1 September 2015, 2:13 am
  • Good job Tom! That was very nice if you to do that for this young man. These people need to fix the fence or out the dogs on a run until they do fix it so that they can’t get out at anyone else. They need to be responsible dog owners and not own the dogs at all!

Tuesday, 1 September 2015, 12:00 am
  • David, as a dog owner myself who loves all dogs, I ask you to please secure your fence. People are now looking for an excuse to do harm to your dogs because of this incident. I surely do not want to see that happen. I can tell that the white dog is not aggressive and the red is doing his job as a male but they cannot be loose in the neighborhood! Come on now, that’s just not good for anyone here. Please fix that fence to keep your dogs from getting into trouble, and most of all to keep them safe behind that fence on your property where they belong…

Monday, 31 August 2015, 11:38 pm
  • Boschamps go to hell and all the rest of you pieces of crap can join him . Yeah the area isn’t a good one but even poor people need a place to live just cause a person lives in Silverthorne or some other stuck up gated community doesn’t make u better. You eat,you shit crap? Or do gold bars plop out of your fat ass into a platinum toilet?

Monday, 31 August 2015, 8:47 pm
  • Just get a gun! If those dogs came charging at me, I would POP therm!

So…to the owners of the dogs, fix your fence, or your dogs maybe dead.

IT IS THAT SIMPLE!

Monday, 31 August 2015, 7:13 pm
  • Dogs are a mirror image of their owners. Doesn’t anyone watch the Dog Whisperer.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 4:43 pm
  • When ever I’m out walking with my wife, I’m armed because we will not be victimized by an attacking dangerous animal period.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 4:19 pm
  • The uncaring despicable owners of these dogs should be heavily fined for not confining their animals because not sending a stern message means that it will happen again and the next time it could cost a child their life..

Monday, 31 August 2015, 4:13 pm
  • I know two of my kids have been bit by dogs…one Chow and one Pit on Elgin Blvd.My one son was 12 & riding his bicycle when the Pit broke off the chain & bite him on the ankle.Luckily the dog bit the owners wife so he had him put down. NO one should be chased by any dog! Keep your dogs under control! Like someone said above^^ they might get a cap in their a**! And if someones defending themselves against an attack, there is NO charges! Especially if county is NOT doing anything about the fence situation & the owner of the dogs! This guy that owns these dogs obviously is an idiot! #Leashlaw

Monday, 31 August 2015, 2:58 pm
  • What is wrong with the people in this neighborhood? If the authorities won’t do anything about these land sharks ten you should just hoot the problem dog or dogs.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 8:44 am
  • Now that the owner has issued a statement in a public forum that he has been notified that his dogs are a nuisance/dangerous and he is “now” aware of the issue, he becomes totally liable, legally, for any damage or harm that these dogs may do in the future to the public. I would check my home owners policy if I were him to make sure that I was covered for any civil damages that may occur…As for the criminal charges that may ensue, he should know that because of those dogs actions, he can be criminally prosecuted. The ball is now in his court!

Monday, 31 August 2015, 8:44 am
    • Kudos Gator, well said!!!!

Monday, 31 August 2015, 3:25 pm
    • Umm, I’m betting that they most likely don’t have any insurance.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 7:52 pm
  • How can I help? Proud Veteran and Son is a Marine. Email me Tom on How I can help with a gift card.
    Thanks
    Semper Fi

Monday, 31 August 2015, 6:41 am
  • Most of those trailers are dumps and owned by slum lords….how about evicting the riff raff…the owner of those dogs is an ignorant punk….famous line…..not my dogs…they’re sweet…ya right…punk owner with punk dogs…

Monday, 31 August 2015, 6:19 am
  • Here dogie dogie

Monday, 31 August 2015, 3:58 am
  • As stated in the original article, “While we were interviewing the victims, the same two dogs appeared…….and began to charge towards us in an aggressive manor.” I doubt the interviewer was “harassing” the dogs to entice them. Also, the article says these dogs charged toward the animal control truck too, so it seems like the dogs didn’t have to be “harassed”. Apparently, these dogs are unhappy about something.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 2:04 am
  • Very nice gesture Tom and RNRF. Kudos to this fine young man.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 11:22 pm
  • Ok first of all that bull shit, the hole was a dot ? and thoes dogs belong to my friend ,and how can they even get In touch with the teens, and those dogs r super sweet they obviously harassed the dogs ?

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 11:14 pm
    • what?

Monday, 31 August 2015, 7:50 pm
  • Animal Control needs to do a better job. I have to wonder if these animals are licensed and are up to date on their shots. I use to take my dog to the dog park off of Landover Avenue but there are so many aggressive dogs there and most without collars, license and shots. What is the use of Animal Control if they don’t even do inspections and enforce the laws. The Sheriff needs to look into this

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 10:32 pm
    • If you look at the pictures there are no collars license tags or Rabies tags on any of the two dogs. Citations were in order and the Animal Control Officer needs training.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 10:34 pm
  • MCRD will make him a fine Marine and an excellent marksman!
    Parris Island or San Diego.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 8:45 pm
  • What a nice thing for you to do, Mr. Lemons. It seems as though Todd will make a fine Marine! At least SOMETHING good has came from all of this…

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 7:43 pm
  • What I find stupid on here is most comments are regarding the wonderful pit bulls,and not a whole lot about the scared kids trying to get to scool to get an education .DANG this is a really messed up world,when people defend the animals and say nothin bout the humans beings attacked and scared . Crazy b isn’t stupid and Leena w you are right on.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 7:26 pm
  • Jail nurse, I would prefer the latter. Note to the owners, someone out there may not be so forgiving as this young future Marine. Therefore there just may come a time when these dogs will come out of that fence, charge after someone and they just might get capped. You may be sitting reading these remarks and think it’s a joke however it is no joke when you will go to jail if these dogs seriously hurt or maybe kill someone because of your neglect. FIX THE DAMN FENCE.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 7:26 pm
  • Animal control is a joke and these people get paid for doing nothing , there’s a truck parked at a house everyday I see driving by

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 6:33 pm
  • What a stupid statement….all pit bulls are bad! ANY DOG CAN ATTACK given the proper circumstance! All dogs have different ‘personalities’ but to label a complete breed as bad is ridiculous.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 6:12 pm
    • The fact is Pit Bulls will attack people more then any other breed because of their genetics. Yes any dog can attack but the fact it that most dogs also tolerate a lot more before they snap. A pitbull can snap just because you walk by their house. You dont hear about that happening with other breeds. Pitbulls are natural born killers and owning them as pets is taking your life in your own hands and owning pitbulls when children are in the house is child endangerment and those parents should go to jail.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 4:59 pm
      • PIT BULLS ARE DANGEROUS! REALLY? WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR INFORMATION FROM? NEWSPAPERS. THAT’S SENSATIONALISM, NICE DOGS DON’T SELL PAPERS. EDUCATE YOURSELF. NOT ONLY ABOUT PITS, BUT ABOUT DOGS IN GENERAL. A PEOPLE MEAN AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER IS AN ABERRATION. READ ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE BREED. START WITH RICHARD STRATTON’S ….”THIS IS THE AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER”.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 10:45 pm
  • Thank you real news,paying it forward. Glad the young man got some new shoes. Heartwarming to say the least. Now for the dog owner just admitted his dog would have done more than tear his shoe HUMM WHAT THAT TELL YA!? Give me your address and I will come and apologize really, Yep we all fell off the turnip truck today.Maybe you could send a gift card to the real news to be held for the next kid that Kane rips a shoe and hopefully that’s all he rips. Why don’t you fix your fence or put a log chain on em. Can you read the laws??

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 5:56 pm
  • Pit bulls should not be aloud in the county like it is Dade County they are all bad

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 4:59 pm
    • Bull Crap

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 10:26 pm
    • They aren’t all bad, but are dangerous enough to be banned. Even those “loving” pits turn on their owners.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 12:26 pm
      • A Pit Bull named Weela was named a Ken-L Ration Dog Hero in 1993 after rescuing 30 people, 29 dogs, 13 horses and a cat during some heavy floods in Southern California

Alaska’s first certified hearing-dog was a Pit Bull named RCA, rescued from a shelter.

Another Pit Bull, Dixie, in Georgia, protected her family’s children by placing herself between the children and a poisonous snake. She actually suffered multiple bites to her face and eyes, but fully recovered and was inducted into the Georgia Animal Hall of Fame in 1999

Pete from the Our Gang movies in the 1930s was an American Staffordshire Terrier. The elderly dog in the original 1963 movie The Incredible Journey was a Bull Terrier.

All the bully breeds exist only to love and adore their families. They bond deeply and heavily and display a great amount of empathy. They give so much affection and friendship, but it comes with a price tag. They want you in return.

Temperament:
        From the past history of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the modern dog draws its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, and children in particular, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes it a foremost all-purpose dog.
        A original “pit bull” The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is ONE of only two breeds named as “Good with Children” in their breed standard by the UK Kennel Club from over 190 breeds. The other is the American Pit Bull Terrier. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children.
        They have also served our Armed Forces in Afghanistan and have been members of various police departments.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 10:11 pm
    • To the person that says “Pit Bulls should be outlawed like in Miami Dade” What would my DAV husband do without his Service Dog?

Monday, 31 August 2015, 9:57 pm
    • I beg to differ with all those who have never owned a Pit Bull. Our American Staff Chocolate Red Nose Pitt Bull Terrier was part of our family for 15 years 9 months and 17 days. We enrolled in Doggy obedience school when our pit was 10 weeks old. We had two other tiny dogs, a cat and two birds. Our Pit loved her family and all the neighborhood children. It was difficult to keep her from jumping the 5 ft. fence, although I think the kids had something to do with that, when the kids were on the way to the school buss stop. Many times we would have to drive our neighbors child to school because of a missed buss bringing our Pit back home. She was a joy and will be loved and missed forever.

Wednesday, 2 September 2015, 5:06 pm
  • To the ppl that are still talking s**t I am the owner of the two dogs, I was not given any information of the people or kids that was supposed to have been attacked, so I can’t make any apologies to them I thought the dogs was in their fence this was the first time that I have heard of my dogs to attack anyone I have had my dogs almost 11 years and nothing like this has ever happened, maybe there is more to this story, then what is being said I do apologize to the kids, but don’t make it more than what it is, if my dog would of bitten someone it wouldn’t just be a shoe and no other report was made on my dogs, I have way to many little kids that come over my house and Kane doesn’t react way, so please stop the gossip already, only girls do that, so if you would like me to apologize to you let me know so I could come by, send me your address, , Sincerely Yours David Rodriguez

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 4:42 pm
    • If they attack me……… consider them dead! I own a CCW……….. and that bites more! I use it to protect myself from any kind of attack………. dog of otherwise.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 5:41 pm
    • If they came after me or my family members, unfortunately for you, they would be shot on sight. I think somebody might do it eventually. If you can’t afford to have a proper fence and leashes then you shouldn’t own the dogs. Your dogs are a menace to school kids walking to and from school. They are obviously not properly trained anyway. People should not get dogs if they don’t intend to train them fully. Get rid of those dogs then you can have more money to properly take care of your family and your property.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 7:41 pm
    • ***and it’s “would have”, not “would of”

Monday, 31 August 2015, 7:45 pm
  • To the real news staff that was a very kind thing to do we need more people like you who knows how it is not to have much money to help someone else

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 4:42 pm
  • We have neighbors who used to let their dog lose all the time. Pictures were taken. Letters were sent with the pictures. Animal Control was called many times. Their excuse was that “(they) didn’t see the lose dog, so couldn’t do anything”. Pictures meant nothing.? Thank goodness that dog has finally died. Either you have the laws, and enforce them, or don’t bother with the laws, and we can take care of the problem ourselves.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 4:28 pm
  • A very kind and thoughtful gesture.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 4:27 pm
  • Regardless of the breed, animal services failed Todd. They could and should have impounded the dogs and cited the owners. The owner is legally responsible for the damage. Obviously they need to brush up on the Hernando County Municipal codes: chapter 6 section 6.24

(b)
    Any dog, when loose on the owner’s property, must be supervised by the owner or physically restrained by fencing or other means to the owner’s property. Supervised means that the dog is at all times within the unobstructed sight of the owner and that the dog will respond to signals or commands given by the owner that will prevent the dog from straying or in any manner running at large in or upon any public street, sidewalk, right of way or any other public property or on the private property of another. Violation of this section shall be a class II violation.
    (g)
    Any person owning or harboring any animal shall insure that the animal does not cause damage to the property of another individual. The owner of any animal in violation of this section shall be in class II violation of this

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 4:20 pm
    • ^^^Thank you for that info

Monday, 31 August 2015, 7:31 pm
  • More importantly, Animal Control KNOWS that Hernando HAS A LEASH LAW. Why is someone NOT pursuing that fact? These dogs got loose and are seen in the street. Why did they not pick them up and haul them in and charge the owner the required fine for violating the leash law?!? County officials are very inept at their job to say the least. They should require the owner to repair the fence so the dogs can no longer escape… or forfeit the dogs. Seriously…how stupid and lazy can some people be? Smh…
    Tom you are to be commended on helping out this young man, which is more than you can say about the pathetic louse who owns the mutts.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 4:14 pm
  • Looks like maybe the owners need help in fixing that fence…Could it be that simple?…some dogs can be hard to contain…and once they find a way out they are goi g to do it time and time again…just saying:)

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 4:13 pm
    • No excuse, they need to maintain fencing as long as they own dogs (of any type), or keep this chained up (not the best option). But it is the law to keep your dogs under control at all times……. that’s the law!

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 5:34 pm
  • Very nice gesture giving the young man a gift card.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 3:58 pm
    • It would be good if I finished before hitting send!! God Bless his courage and service to our country. I am sure he will make an awesome Marine.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 4:00 pm
  • Kudo’s to RNRF.

Kathy – what contributes to the “bad rep” pitbulls get, more often than not, can often be directly attributed to irresponsible ownership, as demonstrated in this story. I’ve grown up with dogs my whole life. And they always underwent extensive training and were either kept leashed or in a fenced yard with no possibility of getting out. And to me, that was just common sense responsibility at being a pet owner.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 3:46 pm
  • Some pit bulls get (and deserve) a bad reputation because of idiot owners like these. Their dogs have already exhibited aggression towards several people, are they waiting until they maim or worse, kill a child? Mea Culpa!

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 3:45 pm
  • very sad, ignorance is not bliss..

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 3:44 pm
  • What tout also don’t know that in the same neighborhood some one room a shovel and killed a pitbull puppy. The owner of the puppy was a young girl. This is all because of the bad rep pitbulls get. Now a young girl had to see someone killing her beloved pet.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 3:29 pm
    • What did you say? do you speak and write English? We have no idea as to your meaning.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 5:29 pm
    • i have puppy i would like to give her one

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 5:34 pm