Oak Hill RNs Say Long Hours, No Breaks, Raising Patient Safety Concerns

BROOKSVILLE – Registered Nurses who work at Oak Hill Hospital held an informational Picket Monday, to voice concerns over staffing compliance issues with Hospital Administrators.

Dozens of RNs marched in front of Oak Hill Hospital, holding signs that say “Safe Staffing Saves Lives” and “We Picket for Our Patients.” Nurses are concerned that they are understaffed and that administrators are not following their own staffing matrix policy. They say this raises serious concerns for patient care, due to nurses working 12-hour shifts and not taking scheduled breaks.

We spoke to RN, Jack Hood who said according to Hospital Officials they are between 20% and 70% understaffed in certain hospital units. Hood stated in a National Nurses United (Nurse’s Union) media release, “Appropriate staffing levels in every unit are a key component to providing patients with safe quality care and that’s why we are urging the hospital to comply with its own staffing matrix,” He went on to say, “It is also vital that nurses take their meal and rest breaks so we can remain alert and focused throughout our 12 hour shifts when caring for our patients. That’s another reason it’s so important for the hospital to comply with its staffing plan.”

According to that same statement, According to the hospital’s data, in a recent 3-month period (Nov. 23, 2014 – Feb. 28, 2015), RNs missed 4673 meal breaks.

The Oak Hill nurses are also asking the hospital to address the dismal wage conditions for RNs in Florida, which contribute to high turnover rates and loss of experienced RNs. Oak Hill can play a leadership role, nurses say, by aligning the hospital’s wages with the national average. Currently Florida RNs are paid $3.00 below the national average and although Florida is the third largest state it ranks 28th in terms of RN wages.

The 389 registered nurses at Oak Hill, affiliated with the National Nurses Organizing Committee, NNOC/FL, are in ongoing contract negotiations with management and their contract expired May 31, 2015.

We spoke to Oak Hill Hospital Spokesperson Rich Linkul, who provided the following statement:

“We want to be sure that our community understands that neither this nor any other action will ever come between us and our commitment to the very best in care and services to our patients. Oak Hill Hospital is recognized with consistent “A” Patient Safety Scores by The Leapfrog Group and by the Joint Commission as a Top Performer in Key Quality Measures.  Furthermore, we are recipients of numerous national awards in Emergency Care, are Joint Commission certified in hip, knee and spine plus offer our community certified programs in heart and cancer care.

We are currently scheduled to resume bargaining on September 15-16, 2015 and look forward to continuing these discussions with the union at that time.”

oh 1 oh 2 oh 3 oh 4

Comments
  • See ya boschamps , us backwoods hillbillies go to Brooksville Horsepital, I mean hospital.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 5:34 pm
  • Lmfao. I worked for Oak Hill 2 years ago and staffing was bad then. Nothing has changed and it’s not going to. All hospitals in Hernando and Citrus are under staffed. As far as $$….. Oak Hill has the highest paid RN’s in both county’s. If people want things to change they need to go to Tallahassee picket there and get things change for all Medical staff all over FL.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 3:06 pm
  • That’s why I’m going back to Massachusetts for my medical needs…the best hospitals in the world are in Boston…period….

Friday, 18 September 2015, 5:28 pm
  • The point here folks is that they are making LESS THAN THE NATIONAL AVERAGE & are being denied the legally allowed breaks/lunch! Whom ever reads this, imagine knowing another teacher, waitress, secretary or cashier is making an average of $3 more than you. In a 40 hr week that is $120 and $6000/yr. So yeah this is significant.
    Btw the hospital has a set nurse-to-patient ratio for each dept. What they are doing is giving the nurses less employees to do the same workload. This causes us to spend less time to meet your needs and the needs of your family. How much of the nurse’s time do you deserve? In a 12 hr day I have 6 to 7 patients. That’s less than 2 hrs per patient. Subtract the time neededto get a report on you and to document your problems, that leaves a little over an hour per patient. That’s why it sucks. We are nurses because we care about you and your family leaving healthy.
    So if you think the hospital sucks because they didn’t meet your needs, then help encourage these people to make changes so you are well taken care of like you deserve!

This writing comes from a corporate man turned nurse. So I understand the corporate view of the business to make $$, as well as the compassionate view of a nurse trying to give you the care you deserve.

Friday, 18 September 2015, 9:21 am
  • @BC Tampa General…..?

Friday, 18 September 2015, 2:38 am
  • Questions, Access Healthcare and OHH …. Are in bed together.Anyone ever visit a doctor who was affiliated with Access. I have and My friend worked for Access alot of shady stuff between the two places. Welcome to “Sigh” Hill!

Friday, 18 September 2015, 2:31 am
  • I would never take health or nutritional advice from a fat person.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 9:59 pm
  • Oh boo hoo, nurse Ratchet. 12 hour days and no breaks. A retail Pharmacist does that every day. You don’t see us crying about it. Welcome to the real world.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 8:09 pm
  • One more thing icdrn/Hotmail, it is uneducated not ineducsted, grammar correction for ya to slam me on, gosh people are mean, and this one’s a nurse , wonder how many sticks it takes him/her to start an iv, you do know what an iv is, right lmbo. Have a good night.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 8:08 pm
  • Is it a half hour break for anything over 8 hours

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 7:40 pm
  • HAVING had the privilege to work in trauma center ,grave yard shift in another state,I can tell you those nurses worked their rear ends off, no time to do anything but your job of saving lives.Everyone worked as a team, did we get breaks or eat, no only when and if it was slow,rarely was.I think the nurses and doctors are very underpaid in florida and other states as well. Heck we were underpaid there as well,so I applaud the nurses here and appreciate them. WE did have a motto there, if and when you can no longer show compassion and kindness to our patients then it’s time to move on. So to ICDRN,@HOTMAIL, I have read your snide remarks to people on here in this PUBLIC FORUM, and California is the best paying for nurses, I personally would not ever want YOU to be my nurse, so thank goodness you aren’t a nurse here .,calling people ignorant hillbillies, etc.please stay working in Ca. You are one scary nurse,if you are in fact a nurse. STay strong OAK HILL HOSPITAL NURSES we hear you!?

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 7:12 pm
  • @Joshua thomas family medical leave act still in force,however it unpaid leave and some employers require you to take any vacation you may have before you get the fmla. Most states are different on lunch breaks, under 18 is quite specific, so hard to say bout lunches,hope this answers your ? So don’t think Obama ripped that one up yet.the fmla that is. Have a nice ssy?

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 5:28 pm
  • My, we did raise the err of some. Bottom line, dollars are more important than patients. Mickey Smith, stand up and talk to the community. Corporate America stinks,,,,,,,,,,,

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 5:20 pm
  • Almost everyone who works in Florida makes less than the National average. On the other hand our expenses are also lower so it all works out. The last time I checked we still lived in a free country so if a nurse is qualified, quit and go somewhere else. Oakhill is is horrible hospital and has misdiagnosed so much I find it hard to believe anyone who works there is qualified! When my son was 6 he had an extreme reaction to poison ivy, the nurses told him to quit being a baby because he cried when a doctor told him they would have to cut his arm off! A quick visit to a real hospital quickly dispelled that myth!

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 4:04 pm
  • The family leave act did not ‘expire’

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 2:19 pm
  • There is no federal or state law that requires eating or a break someone correct me if im wromg Obama let the family medical leave act expire wich breaks, lunch were attached to. Only kids under 18 working an 8hr day by law gets a break, and I’m not talking union stuff. Someone please correct me if im wrong without being mean just asking a question. I will add that the nurses are the ones who will save our but.. Everyone have a great day, blessed

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 11:42 am
    • I did look this up recently and there is no labor law requiring your employer give a break. Sad but it is the truth. My daughter was working for a company and often did not get a break so I read up on it.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 4:16 pm
  • It is like this at every hospital across the nation, There is a nation wide shortage of nurses. I am a nurse I work at the VA in Tampa and it is a struggle daily to make sure there is enough personal for the patients!

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 11:23 am
  • That 10 minute wait time for ER is a joke…more like a fraud, definitely a lie.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 11:13 am
  • One question? What is the “Joint Commission?” Make it two questions. And how can I get on it. It always seems to be mentioned when hospitals are accused of wrong doing.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 11:12 am
  • I’ve been in Oakhill 3 times this I flat lined in ER last July they revived me I now have my life back I’m so thankful for my Dr. And staff I now have 5 stents in my heart and living a great life Thanks you all at Oakhill.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 10:28 am
  • I read this news site daily and have never commented before. This time I want to give my 2 cents worth on this subject. I think nurses in all hospitals across this country are underpaid for work they do for us, the patient. My husband has been a patient at Bayonet Point, Brookseville Regional and Spring Hill Regional as well as Oak Hill. No one enjoys being in the hospital, but I can say this – we were treated promptly and with respect on every hospitalization. If I read correctly they are to take lunch for 30 minutes? That doesn’t leave much time to get to the cafeteria and eat. If they try to eat at the nurses station they are going to be interrupted for sure and not get their full 30 minutes. I don’t think any of them chose this profession for the glory or just for the pay. The motivation was to do good, care for the sick and provide assurance to the family when it’s not always available from the Dr. Another thing, people who usually expect special treatment are even more demanding when they are in the hospital. The nurse puts up with those folks with a smile on their face, regardless of what they are thinking.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 9:47 am
  • To all the nurses , staff, drs, firefighters leos, first responders everybody that has to save all the people and put up with these idiots in this country
    God bless you
    Fight for your rights
    Because management and up in any business means sorry should of been one of us.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 9:04 am
  • I have read the posts alot of unhappiness frustration both in the hospital and community. It’s too bad really a beautiful building and really I am sure wonderful people. The unfortunate piece here as in all healthcare across the country is the bottom line. It’s about profits and stopped long ago being about people and I can say this because I am old enough to have a comparison of once was This is a perfect example of the small guy turning against one another because it’s unsurmontable to deal with the real issues the root cause. I say stick together staff fight for what you need for yourselves and your patients and community support your healthcare team so they can be better. We all have responsibility here corporate America is destroying America that’s the root not your neighbor

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 7:45 am
  • I find that truly hard to believe, when according to the US “Bureau of Labor Statistics, registered nurses earned an average of $33.23 per hour across all specialties as of May 2011, and a mean annual income of about $69,110.”

So, you’re saying that little ol’ Spring Hill’s hospital nurses are making 2.6 times the national mean income? Maybe their working hours are 2.6 times the hours which equals 93 hours per week. Is that the case here?

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 7:36 am
  • My neighbor is a nurse at Brooksville Regional and makes almost 4000. dollars per week. My wife has a friend that showed her paycheck to her and it was a 14000.00 That’s right 14k. Now it was for a month but that comes out to 3500.00 a week These are two separate people so I know this is not isolated.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 6:55 am
    • That is just not true, even if they were putting in some serious overtime! Florida is one of the lowest Nurse paying states! Thats why I live in Florida and work in California as a traveling nurse! Even traveling nurses don’t make that much in Florida! lol! Thats funny! If that were true, I’d jump on the next plane, because that’s more than traveling nurses make in California!!!

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 2:14 pm
    • Johnny Eldorodo, I am a nurse at Bayfront Brooksville and I do not make anywhere near that. I call bull***t. Prior to coming here, I was a nurse in MA, still didn’t make that.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 6:52 pm
  • I have one simple question, what is a decent hospital in the area? My fiancee is arriving from England today and we need to find a good one. Just in case.

Thanks

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 5:46 am
  • I am so sorry to read about all the dirty laundry at Oak Hill. Having been here for ten years and having been in Oak Hill on six occasions for surgery, I have witnessed the change in attitude of staff and seen what these angels of mercy are going through. It appears that a once honorable CEO, Mickey Smith has joined the scourge of corporate Americas big business, DOLLARS OVER EVERYTHING ELSE. It is time that we citizens stand up and support the workers at Oak Hill and show some appreciation for the wonderful job they perform. I am not a nurse or medical worker, just a retired school teacher who appreciates what they are going through.
    Remember, IMPEACH Nick Nicholson, a man who cant control his personal life has no business controlling our community.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 5:39 am
  • I have had to stay in the hospital 3 times in the 20 plus years I have lived in spring hill, all 3 times I went to Oak Hill and had great care. the nurses, DR.’s , res. dept. food services ect. were all kind and caring. My dad was in several times and also had great care. all medical facilities have there faults . I have had family members in Brooksville and Spring Hill that didn’t get the care I had at Oak Hill , but we don’t knock them down. If you happen to get a nurse or DR. that may have been a little short you need to let it roll off your shoulders. everyone has a bad day we are human we are not all perfect. so please lighten up on the nurses they do the best job they can, not just at oak hill everywhere weather it be a hospital Dr. office testing sight ect. Put yourself in there shoes.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 2:39 am
  • What do you expect from a for profit hospital?????…people don’t come here to Florida for healthcare….lol…

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 1:57 am
  • It is amazing to me how people come on a public forum such as this to bash those who care for them. There is so much more than meets the eye to this article. The general public has become accustomed to being treated as a “guest” in the hospitals. They want to be served as if they were in a restaurant. The only difference is in a restaurant a server is tipped or treated graciously. Nurses are expected to “fix this”, “prop that”, “get me”, “give me” without so much as a Thank You. Our work revolves around kissing the butt of the general public, our wages rely on patient satisfactory scores, and our patience is going out the window with ignorant people who think they are owed something when they come to the hospital!!!! Grow up people and realize that you are getting good care, it is the servant type mentality you are expecting that you will not get. You hate the doctors because they don’t order you what you want, because clearly you spent the time in medical school to know what type of medication you should need. You hate the nurses because we expect you to follow the physicians orders to better your state of health. You know what, as a matter of fact next time you’re sick go stay at the Hilton and order your dilaudid from room service. Maybe they’ll even fluff your pillow when it gets there. Oh yeah, they don’t serve dilaudid at the Hilton. You have to go see a physician be it at a hospital or an office. Before you make a generalized statement about a medical facility be sure you know what you are talking about! Don’t bite the hands that care for you!!

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 11:55 pm
  • For all who say OHH nurses choose to work 12 hr shift so they can have two days off . Yes, but does that mean in that 12 hr shift they dont get lunch because they choose to work 12 hrs..? Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard. The Nurse’s union (for those who chose to take part in it) at OHH have someone in their corner to help them stand up for themselves and most of all their patients. I can tell u I surely dont want a nurse who has not had a break in 10hrs giving me meds! The poor nurse ,with no food or rest can not think clearly with no fuel all shift.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 11:48 pm
  • This is far from a “petty nurse problem” (M. Smith). They have every right to fight for breaks and wages that meet the national average. They aren’t doing anything out of line. If anything, they’re trying to tell people what’s going on. I’d say it’s long overdue that Oak Hill take care of these nurses who are so vital to the health and well being of there patients.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 11:44 pm
  • I am saddened by some of the replies I have read. It seems that some of the people replying are not well versed in what a nurse does in a twelve hour shift. I for one work in an area of the hospital that does not have the gracious and most appreciated help of a CNA. The area I work in is a 1 nurse to 4 patient ratio with no aide. On few occassions we get the help of a student nurse and may I say that it is so very appreciated.
    In a single 12 you shift I am expected to care for 4 patient. I need to receive a report from the off going RN that gives me a basic rundown on why they are here, what they have already received in the way of treatment, who their doctors are, what orders are completed, what orders are outstanding, and what the current tratment plan is. I then need to assess all the patients from head to toe taking special care to note anything out of the ordinary paying close attention to the body system failure that they were hospitalized for and looking for any other signs or symptoms of any other body system failures. At the same time I am getting my vital signs, making sure my patients are comfortable, clean, and pain free. I am making sure they aren’t hungry, thirsty, frightened, confused, as well as addressing any family members concerns. I then can address the patients medications, double checking for errors, calling doctors for orders or notifying doctors of any changes in patients status. While giving medications I am doing mini assessments and a second set of vital signs and again adressing any needs for comfort, pain, cleanlines, and getting the patients settled for bed by giving them hour of sleep care. If there are wounds to be treated, iv sites to maintain, medications to adjust, changes in status, sheaths to be pulled, beds to change because a patient has soiled themselves or vomited, confused patients to calm and keep safe, or the patients are hungry, in pain, tired, or scared I am attempting to address all of this at all times for all of my patients.
    I then might get to sit at the desk and start charting everything that I just stated above. Every move I make is expected to be charted as well as a complete record of my head to toe assessments, medications given, treatments, wound care, vital signs, baths, bowel movements, bedding changes, amounts of bodily fluids emptied from every drain or orifice, amounts of iv fluids given, etc. If I am lucky enough to finish all that without interruption then woohoo for me because that is quite unlikely I then get to start another round of all of the above.
    I am lucky to get to use the restroom once or twice in a shift. I am lucky to shovel down a little food while I am charting. I rarely get a lunch break and if I do it is almost always interrupted.
    I appreciate each and every member of the health care team from food service, to transporters, to evs, cna’s, doctors, volunteers, so on and so forth. Thank you to everyone who works to the best of their ability on a daily basis in a increasingly thankless environment. Kudos to all. Because I know why you all do what you do everyday. Because you have love and compassion in your hearts, just as I do, for each and every patient that comes through the doors of Oak Hill Hospital. You treat them, as I do, the way you would want your family members treated. You, as do I, have a love for your profession and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your hard work and dedication.
    Hopefully the dreadfull understaffing in every area of the hospital is addressed and resolved for the patient’s safety and quality of care.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 11:21 pm
    • Humble RN, thank you for putting everything into perspective. Some people just don’t want to see the reality of life. I’m so glad you took the time to say what you did. Yes, we have run across some nurses who just don’t care but I have to say that the majority do care for their patients. Kudos to you for posting everything you do, it’s not easy. If there is a shortage of nurses, then lets find some good ones, pay them well and they will not leave. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication!!!

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 9:45 am
  • It’s about time!! I have been a nurse for 20 yrs and worked at several hospitals around the country and had to be a patient here and I have to say this is the worst hospital I have ever stepped foot in. Their infection rates are through the roof! Understaffed and very underpaid disgruntled employees everywhere. They cant keep any good experienced nurses due to the low pay and they dont care because they can hire 2 new grad nurses for the same price of one professional nurse. It’s all about money not patient safety. They need to get rid of all the upper management and start over. The “good ol’boy” syndrome needs to stop and get some real professional nurses in there! My friends call it “Joke-Hill”. I hope the nurses can bring awareness to the terrible work environment!

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 10:49 pm
  • I’ve been to oak hill a few times the nurses abs docs are very nice, my mother works there and she rarely has a break. It’s apart of the job. Stop crying. You shouldve done research on RN job description before you went to college.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 10:35 pm
  • All you a******s the post your bullshit about Oakhill Hosp can go to the so called Bafront Hosp are get you healthcare there. By the way they take Medicaid. I have been to Oakhill many times and know many R N and other staff there. They give there all and give great care. With that being said know your facts before posting your misinformed garbage.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 9:59 pm
  • Kill hill

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 9:29 pm
  • Waaaaaaa! call a frigin waaaabulance for these RN’s ! try being a paramedic firefighter and run your butt off for 24 hours on a busy truck you do 14-16 calls, put on heavy gear in the heat and rain cut people our of crushed vehicles work fires etc. You do what you have to do to get the job done, be glad you have a job people! jeez. go work for a busy hospital you’ll probably be told you get a break when it slows down. We all cant go pickett if we dont like our work environment. If its to much for you then go work in a nursing home!

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 9:04 pm
    • Great answer Carey. I agree 100 percent. If they don’t like the working conditions quit. Nobody is holding them there.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 5:49 am
    • Wow…another arrogant firefighter spewing comments about which he knows nothing, and comparing apples to oranges. I’m soooooo surprised…

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 2:07 pm
  • Are those photos of the nurse’s or diabetes patients. Doesn’t look like they miss many meals to me.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 7:54 pm
    • Tiffiny, you’re ignorant, degrading remarks show that you must be very ineducated and small minded.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 2:05 pm
  • Everyone here commenting nasty things about nurses are degenerates. Most likely working minimum wage or not working at all. Saying nurses are always “sitting” or getting paid too much. Well, we sit at the computer, because unfortunately every single thing we do needs to be recorded in the chart, because if there is no record of it, it is as if it never happened. about 45 mns to an hour of charting per patient. Times that by 7 patients. Thats 6-7 hours of charting. Don’t forget calling physicians, giving medications, doing vital signs, dressing changes and assessing patients in between. I do not work at Oak Hill, but I am RN making around 20.00 an hour to do all that. To get yelled at by family members and physicians. And to wipe butts because most of the time they don’t give us a CNA. To get slapped and berated by patients who are pissed they can’t get more pain medicine. All this AFTER going to college for 3-4 years.

So please. Don’t bitch about what you don’t know.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 7:26 pm
  • Leena W, I’m sorry, did one of the picketing nurses say other people’s careers didn’t matter or weren’t important? I must have missed that. If your husband has a problem at work, maybe HE should Pickett instead of you coming on here and ignorantly minimizing what someone else is trying to say. Nurses hold lives in their hands and can LOSE their entire career for ONE mistake, so pardon us for wanting to make sure we can perform SAFELY. I hope all of you backwoods hillbillies in jere talking all of your hateful shit bc you’re just jealous never need one of us to save your life one day. #IgnorantA**holes

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 6:41 pm
    • lol….Backwoods hillbillies….perfect…lol. I would only add one word to that…ignorant. Ignorant backwoods hillbillies…

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 2:32 pm
  • Well they are paid below national average but wasent there a news article recently stating they are the highest billing hospital in the u.s the dr.s suck there and over all level of knowlege dont exceed a dose of chicken soup anything that cant fix is more then they can handle,they should be closed down for everyones sake,tampa general is well worth the ride if you need to be in a hospital thats where you want to be.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 6:10 pm
  • Oak hill is a terrible hospital nurses hang around because of low rages,over worked administration doesn’t back them up.What do u expect?

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:52 pm
  • And Cathy no S!$t the hospital is open. What every just left the pts in the beds alone. Duh.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:46 pm
  • They sure need to train the older nurse the new version of nursing! I wouldn’t take anyone to that hell hole

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:39 pm
    • The ‘new version of nursing’? Seriously? Please find out what you’re talking about before making stupid statements online…

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 2:01 pm
  • i’ve worked at oak hill for 18 years the people are a great bunch,the administration stinks this bunch that is still in charge ,odnt care about nothing but the bottom line ,they run people raggid ,cut corners an use the cheapest supplies that that they can get away with , there instruments used for surgury are substandard an an need replacement, they use flex scopes that have a limited use,and reprocess them hundreds of times over the manfactures recommend uses.The R.N. think they are allways under paid thats a joke.,the aides who do all the work for these nurses on the floor they need the raise ,everyone who works in the hospital need a raise except the nurses ,its about time they do there fair share. hire more staff stop cutting staff that really do work there, an dump all the people who waste money in administration.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:25 pm
  • Oh stop crying my husband works 12 hour shifts and hardly gets a break for much harder work and he’s not paid enough either

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:10 pm
    • Unless he’s salary, it’s illegal. There’s nothing for you to say about those who stand up for their rights, just because your husband chooses not to stand up for his. These nurses are responsible for people’s lives and they can’t function at their highest level when they’re overworked.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 8:25 am
    • Much harder work? And what might that be?

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 1:59 pm
    • Do peoples lives depend on your husband? I would like to know that the people that are possibly saving lives are well rested and have the coverage they need if they are needed elsewhere. SO before you make a comment like that you should think about the profession. I hope the person that may need to take care of you is available and not covering 7 other patients.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 3:55 pm
  • All Hospitals and nursing homes are understaffed. Good for you ladies and gentlemen for standing up for patients and yourself. Nurses deserve to get paid well. And no I am not a nurse. Thank you for your hard work!

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:10 pm
  • HCA is the down fall to the hospitals. I work at citrus memorial and ever since they took over the place has been goi g down hill. Oak hill nurses have no time to get lunch breaks being there is no relief to watch over there pt’s while they eat. But the managers still have to make sure they clock out for 30 minutes so the numbers look right so they don’t get in trouble. The nurse turn over in the Er is major. But HCA doesn’t care about there employees just the money.
    FYI I’m not a nurse but see this day in and day out and feel bad for them.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 4:52 pm
  • When applying for jobs at Oak Hill hospital website just read reviews of any job posted there, you’re always going to have negative,positive,It just seems like I see more negatives and positives,I guess it just depends on the position you’re applying for

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 4:45 pm
  • As a good friend of many Oak Hill Hospital employees, I know how things really work there. I admit, OOH nurses have it bad. But let me tell you about the unsung heroes of Oak Hill Hospital, The OOH Transport team. They give blood, sweat and tears for the sake of the hospital. Not only have they been understaffed since 2014, they’re underpaid and never even get so much as a Thank you. So before you worry about petty Nurse problems, think about the real heroes. And with the snow birds coming, it’s only going to get worse. Check yourself, OOH.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 4:31 pm
    • What is OOH?

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 3:50 pm
  • My personal opinion is that maybe just maybe they get these A+ ratings because they have nurses that work their butts off. Without dedicated staff Drs., Nurses etc. they would not get these ratings. I have been a patient in hospitals throughout the country. Yes, maybe service seems a little slow to an irritated patient who doesn’t want to be there in the first place. But, on the flip side, if there were more nurses maybe the wait wouldn’t seem so long. One can only do so much. As far as nurses sitting behind a desk there IS a ton of paper work they are responsible for. It’s not just the running back and forth for the patient. (Unfortunately) Hospitals like to make money. They try to get away with less staff so that it is more $$ in their pocket. Not thinking of the work load they put on the nurses and the lack of care for the patient.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 4:28 pm
  • Thanks for the update on this Tom. I’ll go to Spring Hill Regional, Excuse me Bayfront Spring Hill.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 4:09 pm
  • Thats why I’ve heard it called CROAK HILL.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 4:07 pm
  • I think people need to know that the hospital is still open and has not been closed. The nurses that are working are providing the best care possible.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 4:06 pm
  • Notice they don’t say how much they make. Try to find a nurse they are all sitting at the desk area by the elevators. Its like a big bother to come in your room if you need something. No breaks yeah right !

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 4:03 pm
    • your so right most of them have big butts from all the sitting an they get larger at night.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:27 pm
    • You don’t know what you are talking about. Bunch of idiots. You have no idea of what charting is all about. And, what difference is it how much nurses make? They deserve to make a lot more than they do! Love when ignorant people spout off about things they know nothing about.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 1:54 pm
  • My wife and I have been there several times and have few complaints. That being said, I don’t believe the nurses can be at their best without the proper rest. Little rest would make me crankie.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 4:01 pm
    • some of these people choose to work 12 hr shifts so they can work only three days ,ask the right questions.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:29 pm
      • Yes, they do. They are still legally entitled to meal and rest breaks.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 7:23 am
      • Hospitals don’t offer both 12 and 8 hour shifts. I like 12 hour shifts because the job is too stressful to do 5 days a week. Just because we may choose 12 hour shift jobs doesn’t mean we don’t need breaks and can work understaffed! What a stupid thing to say.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 1:51 pm
  • Oak Hill Hospital does not care about there patients at all. I have never been treated with respect by anyone there.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 3:34 pm
    • Rather die than go their again, Broke my back in 4 places and tried to send me home the next day. What dumb ass doctors. Nurses were great though.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 7:24 pm