Off-Duty Police Officer Shoots Pit Bull, After it Attacked Child and Killed Family Dog

UPDATE; 9:20 P.M. – A spokesperson for Pasco County Animal Control says the Pit Bull was euthanized due to it’s injuries.

NEW PORT RICHEY (PASCO) – An 11-year-old boy is recovering from a dog bite, after an adopted Pit Bull attacked him at his residence on Saturday.

According to officials, family members were introducing the adopted Pit Bull to the victim at their residence on Weasel Drive, when the animal bit the child on the hand. The owners asked a neighbor, an off-duty Tarpon Springs Police Officer for help in separating the Pit Bull from the victim who was forced to shoot the Pit Bull in the back of the head. The Pit Bull then attacked and killed the family’s other dog.

The victim was transported to a local hospital for treatment and the Pit Bull was taken into custody by Animal Control.

Tarpon Spring Police were notified of the incident involving one of their officers.

The condition of the Pit Bull is unknown at this time.

Comments
  • Malignant* dumb

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 6:15 am
  • They ought to slap the pit bull owner with a murder or attempted murder charge once their land shark attacks someone. That way the maligent dumb pit bull owner will have to spend money and time defending themselves in court. Instead of just looking stupid and feeling sad. Legs don’t grow back, and arms don’t grow back. There is no reason to subject the people in your community to these risks. Have you seen the faces of the badly disfigured ten years after they were attacks. Some of those people still don’t look right.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 5:45 am
  • Any puppies for sale?

Saturday, 2 September 2017, 12:49 am
  • DING DONG THE PIT BULL IS DEAD, THE WICKED PIT FULL DEAD. ! YEAH, Thanks officer for saving a child!!!!! ??

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 2:09 pm
  • I’ve had my pit for 13 years and five grandkids later never had not one problem with my girl jayda. Shes the best dog i ever. Had.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 1:26 pm
    • You’re extremely foolish for playing doggie death lotto with your grandkids.

You couldn’t have picked a more dangerous breed to gamble with.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 5:52 pm
      • Ok i will glad dog is dead wasn’t talking to you ignorant @$$ go to mommys basement and PLAY WITH YOUR PIT

Friday, 1 September 2017, 1:27 pm
      • Your the the foolish one. It is how you raise them. I have 2 kids and 2 pitbulls and I treat the pitbulls like one of my kids. As long as you show them love, they would love you back. I trust my dogs with my children and there’s and there’s no Gamble. Any dog can attack a child or an adult. It is not just a pitbulls. I have a Chihuahua that I’m more scared of than my pitbulls. Maybe you should do more research fool!

Saturday, 2 September 2017, 7:36 am
  • The dog was probably put up for adoption because he was aggressive with the previous owner. There aren’t many pits that I have met that I trusted or liked and I’m an animal lover. If you own a pit, good luck getting your home insured. Pits aren’t the only ones insurance companies don’t like either. Pits, rotties and a couple of others have cost insurance companies a bundle in claims.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 12:26 pm
    • Lab Mix always worked for me!

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 1:52 pm
  • Wow, how does a dog that was shot in the head then get up and kill another dog? It’s unfortunate that this dog who was most likely abused wind up biting a child. I feel very sorry for the child and family for losing their family dog as well. It’s a shame that there are good pits that get a bad rap due to situations like this. No one wins here… If you do your research, chows and Dalmatians are actually the most likely to bite and not let go. Dalmatians who were meant for firehouses have been known for aggression. You don’t see everyone losing their mind over this breed like they do pits.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 10:34 am
    • If you did your research, you’d know that pits account for 6% of dogs and account for 80 to 87% of fatal attacks, and lead in maimings as well.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 5:55 pm
  • First of all – ALL INTRODUCTIONS, dog and human, should be on NEUTRAL TERRITORY. NEVER IN THE ANIMAL’S OR OWNER’S HOME. I feel terrible for the poor dog. He almost had a 2nd chance at life but b/c of the adopter’s stupidity, there goes his/her chance. RIP Pooch.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 9:57 am
  • Adopted a yellow lab from shelter he was older thought I was doing a good thing bit my arms and I was afraid for my kids so brought him back. …grew up with a full bred pit bull named jesse she would lick you to death and lay on your lap so the point is nobody knows what goes thru the mind of a dog just like people use judgment and raise them with love dogs are better trained than people

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 9:38 am
  • It is awful that this child had to go through such a tragedy. Banning pit bulls isn’t the solution. Drunk drivers and prescription drugs are an exponentially greater risk to every one of us. A ban on a dog breed would be even less effective than the laws that are already in place concerning those broader social problems. It’s more fun to sensationalize the dog bites.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 9:35 am
  • When you take in a dog, such as a pitt, you don’t know the history of the dog. You are taking a chance with the safety of your family and your other pets.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 9:07 am
  • We will soon pass a 1000 dollar mandatory registration fee to own a pitbull dog. This fund will assist animal services with rounding up strays as well as prosecuting violators.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 6:58 am
    • You have the right idea………this way pit bulls wouldn’t be used for fighting and the fund can be used to round up strays, fix them and also to bring these horrible people to justice.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 8:47 am
  • Ban Idiots

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 5:35 am
  • Do you research instead of listening biased people. Most dogs labeled pit bulls are not even American Pitbull Terrier. Most mutts out their get linked to being pit bulls when their lineage is of other Bully breeds. News outlets get off on”click-throughs” and “page views” so the better the story sounds.the more profit they can get. So for example if the headline says “golden retriever attack” doesn’t quite have the ring to it as “pit bull mauls owner.” I will admit that there are more attacks from pit bulls than golden retrievers, but that’s because of how they are raised and treated, not simply because they are pit bulls. It’s this injustice to a particular breed that blows my mind when most of these so called pit bulls aren’t even pit bulls and that no other dog breed gets blown out of proportion in news outlets like them. There are American Pitbull t erriers that are service dogs that work for.the police.that are therapy dogs but you rarley see those stories. Stop believing all the damn myths about these dogs. Banning them will not do anything since its not technically a breed but.pretty much a classification. The word pitbull has put a sour taste in our society mouth and I thought we lived in a country where being racist wrong. Your trying to shove out a breed based off biased news and people’s opinions. Most of these “pitbulls” in shelters come from negligent owners or backyard breeders. Any dog you get from a shelter has a risk since you typically do.not know their background. Where they beaten before, where they left tied up outside where they antagonized by children are they the result of backyard breeder who bred puppies but did no kind of training. There are so many factors people ignore.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 4:09 am
    • Nice spin. However it doesn’t change the simple fact that these dogs are dangerous. When they attack it’s not a scratch. And yes, most are loving family pets.

None of your back flips changes the truth about these dangerous animals.

You’re probably a decent person who loves his dog so much, you ignore basic factual information.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 9:39 am
      • Politics. Religion .. pitbulls..

Saturday, 2 September 2017, 5:17 pm
  • How many more people have to get injured for you hard headed pit bull fanatics to wake up and smell the roses that this breed of dogs are DANGEROUS. Think of how many stories have been on RNRF about pit bulls and imagine that across the country. It’s time to do something about this!

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 12:40 am
  • 90% of you’d don’t even know what a real pit is or is supposed to look like.
    A dog bites and its automatically a pit bull .
    All of you haters are ignorant assholes.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 12:26 am
  • Get your story straight, this is not at all what happened!!!

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 11:31 pm
    • Well lets hear it then since you seem to know. Why bitch that it isn’t the story then don’t tell it. Sounds like you don”t kown and just want to have some attention. I gave you some. Feel better.?

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 1:50 pm
  • Good job deputy glad you were there i would have done the same thing ?

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 10:23 pm
  • So sad to see there are people that actually stick up for pit bulls over children.

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 9:46 pm
  • My husband and I we’re given a pitbull puppy about 10 years ago and it was only 8 weeks old when we got it. We love this dog we were very gentle with this dog and up until the day that she left us she was very mild-mannered and very even-tempered. Unfortunately the problem with this breed is it has been line bred and in bred.
    Which is tantamount to a mother having a child with her son or a father having a child with his daughter there are going to be issues whether they be physical or mental. I don’t understand why this happened if the dog was adopted from an animal shelter one would think that they would have temperament check this dog which I know they do in Los Angeles which is where we come from. I think it’s tragic that the child was injured I think it’s even more tragic that the ends to the story involved the dog being shot in the head I mean think about the child that was being bit at the time having to watch a dog being shot in the head that is probably as traumatic as the actual bite was. I don’t feel either way about the breed I just feel it sad that these dogs have been used and utilized for things that should never been permitted, such as fighting and the like. I pray for all involved

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 9:44 pm
    • Out of all the comments ppl left on here yours was the BEST!!! Forget about the dog what about that poor kid that thought he was getting a new pet then to get attacked and have to watch the dog be shot right in front of him. Well said 100% agree

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 9:02 am
  • here is Wikipedia definition of this breed! developed as fighting dogs from cross breeding bull-baiting dogs (used to hold the faces and heads of larger animals such as bulls) and terriers.[2] After the use of dogs in blood sports was banned, such dogs were used as catch dogs in the United States for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt and drive livestock,

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 9:10 pm
  • Wow, no idiots who don’t understand basic genetics on here yet?

Pit bulls should be banned, or heavily regulated. There is no reason to have these dangerous animals around people.

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 8:03 pm
    • So are Rots/dobermans,german shepherds. List could go on. Its how you raise them tho yes sometimes genetics will take over. Banning isn’t the solution. More intelligent and compassionate owners are.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 1:52 pm
      • Your love for your dog had apparently blinded your ability to read.

Pits are genetically dangerous. It’s not opinion, it’s fact.

You it’s not the breed people are I’m aware of basic genetics and doggie data

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 5:50 pm
  • THESE DOGS NEED TO BE BAND HOW MANY CHILDREN HAVE TO BE KILLED OR INJURED BEFORE THEY STOP ALLOWING THIS BREED IN HOUSEHOLD THEY BELONG IN A ZOO Im so sick of hearing its not the breed its the owner well wake up there are a lot of other breeds out there that people dont know how to train and guess what there not in the paper every other week for killing or attacking

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 6:32 pm
    • They should ban people who do not know how to use punctuation and proper grammar. They are breeding more stupid children that end up on welfare and use good tax money that could go towards pit bull retraining.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 1:54 pm
  • When other dogs bite or attack they don’t tell the breed, only do they name the pit bull, obviously they did not know how to introduce an animal into their family. Some of you people are so ignorant….

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 6:31 pm
    • you are a tool

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 9:03 pm
    • Yes, they are 6% of dogs and 87% of fatalities.

We’re the ones who are ignorant? Lol!

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 10:09 pm
  • Idiots, lucky the child is ok! My neighbors granddaughter was killed by the family pet, a pit bull

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 5:49 pm
  • those dog need to be outlawed.
    I can’t keep a tiger in my house or yard, so why can someone keep a viscous
    animal next to my house????

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 5:48 pm
    • How do we know your not a vicious wife beater and pedophile living next door to one of us ? We weren’t given any papers on you when you moved in.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 1:56 pm
  • the only good pit bull is a dead one

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 5:26 pm
    • Talk about being sick and tired of hearing about pit bull attacks it’s the media they only report about pit bulls because they know the ratings will go up on count of people tuning in what they don’t tell you is how many people get bit or attacked by the their family dog that’s not a pit. Personally I love pit bulls always have and always will that’s all I have ever owned I have 3 pits in my yard and all three are very loving and loyal and not to mention high protective of my two daughters. Once you gain their trust , love, and loyalty there is nothing they would not do for you even if it means laying down their live.

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 9:31 pm
    • Dumb people don’t need dogs they can’t handle is the problem. They don’t know if that dog was abused beat or used as bait for dog fighting any dog can be dangerous if put in wrong situation. I seen a lab almost kill my neighbors new born for no reason. All I’m saying is I wish people would stop giving these dogs such a bad rep other dogs are involved even more attacks than pit bulls just they don’t have a dangerous sounding name does Akita sound mean no but one dog that’s twice as viscous toward kids as a pit bull if u do your research plus a pit bull isn’t even a dog it’s all just ridiculous. The dog as probably mixed with something else but u don’t here them calling it a lab. How about all the pit bull dogs that have saved kids from other dogs snakes and even dumb people.

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 1:29 am
  • Dang pit bulls should not be allowed near kids period!

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 5:20 pm
  • It’s only in the news cuz it’s a pit bull. BS

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 4:08 pm
    • Cathy you are correct its only in the news cause its a pitbull

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 6:45 pm
      • you are tool and a moron

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 9:04 pm
    • Cathy, you are an idiot, just like the people that adopted a vicious animal. Google the statistics, if with that pea brain of yours you are able too. BAN PIT BULLS!!!!

Wednesday, 30 August 2017, 7:06 pm
      • Go to safe place……. And Kahi whatever the hell your name is pit bulls are not even dogs WHAT!!!!!!! Is it a goat smh..

Thursday, 31 August 2017, 11:30 am