One Dead, One Critically Injured After Late Night Rollover Crash

WEEKI WACHEE – One person was killed and another critically injured, after they were ejected from a vehicle during a rollover crash on Knuckey Road last night.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, 32-year-old Christine Nelson of Weeki Wachee was traveling westbound on Knuckey Road, west of Leisure Lane, when she lost control and veered off the roadway. Nelson overcorrected in an attempt to bring the vehicle back onto the roadway, causing the vehicle to overturn several times. Nelson and her passengers, 26-year-old Nicholas Leitner, also of Weeki Wachee, were ejected onto the roadway. Nelson was pronounced deceased at the scene and Leitner was airlifted to Bayonet Point Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition.

Alcohol has been ruled out as a contributing factor.

kuck-1 kuck-2

Comments
  • God damnit I can’t believe when I read this !! Why why nick you will be so missed and so will Chrissy whom I didn’t know but wow I’m still in shock people need to quit judging if you don’t know know them !

Wednesday, 21 December 2016, 8:32 pm
  • My condolences to Nick`s family. So sorry for your loss.

Wednesday, 28 September 2016, 7:46 pm
  • Absolutely heart breaking. Nicholas didn’t make it through. He passed this morning according to his sister! May him and Chrissy both rest in peace. Thoughts and Prayers are with them and their families. <3

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 4:28 pm
    • Two really great people. I am honored to have had them in my life and had the honor of serving with Nick. I pray for both children and families. I will miss them.

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 10:20 pm
    • Awful to hear. Condolences to the families.

Monday, 26 September 2016, 6:37 am
  • Served with Nicholas in the Army such a great guy. My prayers go out to the familys of these two wonderful people. Pull through Nicholas you have a little one waiting for you.

Friday, 23 September 2016, 5:47 pm
  • Just an FYI to those making guesses as to what happened none of u know Chris’s was a great friend one of the happiest nicest loving ppl u can meet and she was not a crazy or Reckless driver she had a family so for anyone who feels like disrespecting her come talk to me because u don’t know ur head from ur

Friday, 23 September 2016, 5:25 pm
  • Hi Tom. Would you please give Food the opportunity to write an article on accidents. It is so insensitive that he remarks with the woulda, shoulda comments everytime someone is killed in an accident. Perhaps he can enlighten us as to how to prepare for every situation. We know…don’t speed, wear your seatbelt, stay off your phone, etc. But apparently the rest of us are missing something. It appears that someone in their 60’s who has such vast experience might be able to help the rest of us.

Friday, 23 September 2016, 3:37 pm
    • I say that we should learn from these situations to prevent further incidents from happening and you find saving the lives of friends and family as insensitive and offensive.. I really hope you are trolling the comments section.. Have a nice day. btw I only commented on this one bc I went up and down that road 4 times with my family and the majority of my family lives off knuckey. I find it near personal when I see the tragedy in this. It could of been avoided. I dont know why you are so hurt by the fact I comment on something that happened up the road from my families home. I live in this county also and I find the local news important. Theres a reason Tom left a comments section for these stories. He believes in freedom of speech and Im sure we can learn from each other instead of remaining silent. Now maybe one day this might make sense to you..

Friday, 23 September 2016, 4:46 pm
      • Food, it makes sense but I really wisb Tom would let you write a column. As a former officer, accident reconstructionist and someone who works in a hospital, I believe you possess info to help. Even if he gives you 1 column a month, think of the lives you could potentially help save. Most of your comments here are blah, blah but I agree wholeheartedly you could impart wisdom,

Sunday, 25 September 2016, 12:34 am
  • Hey Shazam how else do you thing it happened lets first say no seat belt how fast do you thing they were going to roll over a few times

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 4:11 pm
    • Crazy B I’m the young girls uncle. She just turned off Leisure lane headed toward US 19. You probably don’t have a clue as to where the accident happened, But it was less than a half a football field from Knucky Rd. We planted a white cross where she passed away. Take a drive by the accident scene reflect a bit and then post your comments!

Friday, 23 September 2016, 12:52 pm
      • Hello David I knew Chrissy from Texas we grew up together , I am seriously in shock, I am trying to find out what exactly happen…. None of the other news sites have any information…. They all have the same as this one… I can’t believe she is gone…. My heart is broken 24 years having her as my family is not enough…. Do you by chance know if I can get more information on what happen….

Friday, 23 September 2016, 3:48 pm
      • Hello, I also know Chrissy from tx. My husband was stationed down there! She was a loving caring person and one hell of a mother! To all the people being rude out there or to who said she was speeding why don’t u look into more reports bc it is said she was not speeding! She lost control and tried to correct it. And in the type of suv she was in its very easy to overturn the car and I know bc I did it (same year same make same model) 8 years ago. To Chrissy and Nick we love u and we miss u more than anyone would know! And to Chrissy’s son my heart goes out to u and if u need anything please let us know!

Friday, 23 September 2016, 7:51 pm
      • David I wish there was a way to contact you because, don`t mean it to sound cold, but I think I could give you some information.

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 1:16 am
        • I would love to get info on what happened chrissy and I were friends for 10 years she and her son lived with me in tx for a time she is family to me and no one seems to have any info about this. I’m just crushed she was loved

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 1:51 pm
        • Janet do you have information on what happen? More then what the news story said? If so please let me know so we can try to contact you or have you contact us….

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 2:08 pm
          • Email me @ [email protected] and put subject Knuckey rd. also for David and dianne

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 5:09 pm
        • Hi Janet. I am sending you an email because I would like the details as well. I spent time with Chrissy and Nick, the boy who was critically injured, but has since passed away and I would like to know the details you have.

Friday, 30 September 2016, 10:18 am
  • It’s not brain surgery, Why don’t people buckle their seat belts when driving or riding in a vehicle, Do they think that nothing like this can ever happen to them.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 2:40 pm
  • I have been driving for over 32 years. I have never had an accident . I drive the speed limit and always look farther down the road than the set of taillights in front of me. I am not passing judgement but all drivers need to slow down . I drive about 21 miles to work and I literally get passed by not one but EVERY car on the road. Prayers for this young lady , her passenger and family.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 12:23 pm
    • charlie no disrespect but if every single car always passes you, you might just be driving a tad under too slow and by too slow I mean you are probably impeding traffic. You might want to get that speedometer calibrated and if thats good get the ol eyes checked that 5mph might actually be 55mph. hope this helps have a nice day.

Friday, 23 September 2016, 12:34 am
  • Please do not judge them ,especially if you have never been on Knuckey rd .I believe that if speed was a factor in the accident, it would have been stated in the police report which it was not. I live in this area and I know for a fact that there are a lot of wild animals her,. just maybe she had to swerve to avoid hitting something.I was there just after it happened and it was something I will never forget.My heart breaks for that young girl and the heartbreak that her parents have to face. The first responders did all they could to help her. How that young man survived only God knows the answer. My heartfelt prayers for them and the family`s. God Bless.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 12:23 am
    • I’m chrissy friend she is my daughters aunt if you were there could I ask you some questions I need some closer

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 1:47 pm
    • The young man didn’t survive. He died on the 24th.

Friday, 30 September 2016, 10:22 am
  • Chrissy you will be missed and always in my heart. I love you deeply..I know how you loved to get hugs so I will do my best to hug someone everyday for you. All my love Aunt Diane! I will miss hearing you say, “Hey Aunt Diane”… Good Bless You Chrissy!

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 9:48 pm
  • Hello, SEATBELTS!!……

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 8:22 pm
  • Foodforthought thanks I needed a good laugh after hearing someone died but you had to make it a history lesson.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 7:30 pm
    • I just dont get it. It was awful to hear about it and I must of missed it by minutes. I drove down that road 4 times that night with my family. I even made the comment man I remember racing down this road as a kid. I have a bunch of family off knuckey and Im glad I wasnt directly part of it but yes my emotional sympathy for the family. I have kids. Id probably lose my mind if I had to bury my own kid. I admit when that place was a empty void spot of a few homes at most in the area I drove like a moron and I guess I got lucky but hopefully we all take something to learn from it all.

Friday, 23 September 2016, 12:31 am
  • Prayers for family and friends to all involved. FOOD is there no article that is ever posted that you can’t put yourself in? Gets old after awhile. A young girl died, young man is critical, I really don’t care bout your good old days and your stunts. Don’t believe much of what you post How bout I am sorry girl Is deceased and young man fighting for his life Come on you can do it.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 6:47 pm
    • oh i have tons of friends and family in the area. Ive lived here for a long time and I have kids here also. I do a bunch of driving in this area also. Im sorry you cant comprehend how I would ever of been anywhere outside my house. I also worked as an officer here and now I work at a local hospital. Would be shocking I ever had contact with any one. Ive even had very specific details about incidents that were not listed in reports or on here. I must be one of dem psychic savant people.. All sarcasm aside. It was a terrible situation but maybe we should also use it as a learning tool when these things happen. I admit I drove like an idiot when I was younger. Im surprised I made it beyond my teens was my point and never once flipped a vehicle nor had friends do such and it happens constantly. I know the causes but just maybe with so many of them happening, we should have an open discussion about it instead of sticking our head in the sand and pretending it will all work it self out some how.

Friday, 23 September 2016, 12:26 am
      • Chrissy was my family we grew up together, I am still in shock…. I am trying to find the report on what happen exactly, is there anyway you can help out with that

Friday, 23 September 2016, 3:09 pm
      • Why are you making it about you though ? Weirdo

Sunday, 25 September 2016, 11:14 am
      • Foodforthought you Said you have details about the accident? If you could would you please contact me Chrissy and I grew up together 24 years of being her family and this has left a big question mark on to what happen… lol her friends who were family to her have is what the news reports say…. My email is [email protected] we are all devastated and in shock…. So please anymore Info about the wreck or her would be much appreciated…. Thank you

Sunday, 25 September 2016, 2:15 pm
  • must of just happened after I left the area. was up and down that road 4 times last night. we would race up and down knuckey when my parents first bought the property out that way. doing triple digits often and never once managed to flip a vehicle. older and wiser and bunch of homes on that road now wouldnt dare consider it anymore. out by thrasher and knuckey we would race cars like no ones business for years doing donuts, drifting, sliding in the rain, seeing who could get the most 360 spins and never once flipped a car. its crazy how its weekly here. something freaky with gravity or car manufacturing going on im unaware of?

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 6:18 pm
  • Crazy B, who left you judge? A young woman is dead, can’t you muster justa little respect?

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 5:06 pm
    • She’s an insensitive deputy. Completely heartless.

Prayers are with family and friends of the deceased and injured.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 7:13 pm
      • Are you saying Crazy B is an insensitive deputy? Didnt know she was a deputy but that would explain her callous, imbecile, uncaring comments.

Friday, 23 September 2016, 3:28 pm
    • Amen to that! I was thinking the same thing. May she rest in peace. Prayers to the family.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 12:54 pm
  • Sending prayers and condolences to both families

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 4:35 pm
    • So very sorry to hear about my friend Chrissy and prayers go out to her and her entire family

Friday, 23 September 2016, 2:07 pm
  • My prayer’s and condolences go out to both the family, in their time of need.♡

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 4:24 pm
  • I’m so sorry to hear this. I heard the sirens and the helicopter last night. May God be with the families.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 4:06 pm
  • Lets say speeding

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 3:52 pm
    • Let’s be nice – these two wonderful people who I just hugged goodbye last Saturday are gone – remember their family and friends are reading this

Friday, 23 September 2016, 6:09 pm