Op-Ed: Americans Have Justified Concern over Syrian Refugees

Last week, RNRF published an Op-Ed by our Liberal Contributor, Victoria Sidlauskas, on the issue of allowing 10,000 Syrian Refugees into the United States. As promised, RNRF now brings you an opposing perspective on the Syrian Refugee crisis, by our Conservative Contributor, Jason Marshall.

Op-Ed: By Jason Marshall

The far left faction of the political spectrum, is becoming unhinged. How do I know this? Because when the race card and prejudice are the nucleus of an argument for condemnation of the Republican Party, this shows that they’re losing their grip on our society. You wouldn’t think that would be the case, given the fundamental transformation of America that President Obama pledged to bring 7 years ago, and has heretofore successfully accomplished; but apparently, this is the case.

If the GOP is a racist, bigoted party, why would a black man be running neck-and-neck with Donald Trump for the nomination? The answer, Ben Carson wouldn’t be “near” the top if we Republicans were racists. As a former Herman Cain campaign operative, I find it insulting to be labeled as a racist or a bigot. As a Jewish Republican, I find it doubly offensive. We have railed against Obama since the day he was elected, because many of us knew what we were getting. If you didn’t do the research on his history, that’s not our fault.

I’m actually going to have to dissent against most of my fellow conservatives on the refugee situation; but, with a caveat. Yes, we should be open to letting a persecuted people come here for protection against the Assad regime. Yes, we have a moral obligation as a world leader to right the wrongs of a dictator. However, to say that we have allowed refugees to come here without incident would be to ignore the facts. More than 5 dozen people have been arrested, just in the last 18 months for plotting terror attacks – some of those were refugees, according to the U.K. Publication, Dailymail.

The United States House of Representatives, just this week, voted 289-137 for extra measures to be taken in screening all refugees that come to America – including 47 Democrats. This is a bipartisan effort to protect us from being infiltrated by our enemies. So, how is it that “Republicans” are bigots and racists? President Obama threatened to veto this legislation, so where are his priorities? Protecting Americans, or leaving the door open to just anyone?

We may be the wealthiest nation on earth, but our deficit is at record highs, with no end in sight. We have unemployment through the roof (unless you believe the numbers the government tells you, which have already been proven to have been fudged by the Labor Department), wages stagnating, millions in poverty, record numbers of people on food stamps, and the lowest labor participation rate in 40 years. Medicare and Social Security are also in serious trouble.

I am completely sympathetic for folks who are more concerned with domestic troubles, than Syrians. I don’t completely agree with them, but I have sympathy for that.

Blanket-labeling people as racists, bigots and xenophobic for being concerned about letting the wrong people in, does nothing to advance a national discussion that we need to be having right now. Yes, there is real suffering going on. My people were turned away by the boatload, during the 1930s, attempting to escape certain death at the hands of Adolf Hitler. FDR said no. I carry that on my mind when I say that yes, we should help.

But, we need to be responsible about it, we need to be careful about it, and we need to know who these people are. President Obama has shown his hand, and we on the right, are justifiably concerned about that.

The views and opinions expressed in RNRF Op-Ed Columns are those of the designated authors and do not necessarily reflect those of RNRF or any of its affiliates.

terror

Comments
  • Of course Sarah, but there are only 2 possibilities. My choice is anyone but hidious Hillary

Saturday, 28 November 2015, 9:24 pm
  • Hideous Hillary , love it!! Yep and a pathetic LIAR too!!

Wednesday, 25 November 2015, 9:10 am
  • I agree Backwoods , me too, but she does look a little better after her face lift work, I stress little!! Lmbo

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 7:43 pm
    • Hillary’s looks have nothing to do with anything. Please stop perpetuating this myth that a woman’s worth is tied to her appearance in any way. It’s pathetic.

Wednesday, 25 November 2015, 1:34 am
  • Whoever is the gop nominee will get my vote, no way would I vote for Hidious Hillary

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 6:39 pm
    • You do realize there are more than two options, right? Anyone who truly wants change to take place should be looking beyond the two party fallacy, IMO.

Wednesday, 25 November 2015, 1:32 am
  • Eric, I now realize you are a Liberal. If you cannot comprehend as to why we should ever close our Borders than please listen. If you are truly a Veteran than you should understand that at any time our Country is at war or is being threatened by Terrorist to initiate War than it is only logical common sense to close all Borders in an effort to protect all Americans from any immigrants / refugees etc who’s only intention is to inflict bodily harm on us. It is unfortunate that those who are not with terrorist intentions must suffer and not be allowed entry in which some may perish. This my friend is a small part of collateral damage and this is WAR! IF YOU TRULY SERVED THIS COUNTRY THAN YOU SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS. We have no choice but to close the borders as we do not know who is good and who is bad so for our safety, close them down all together. Once ISIS is defeated than we should consider a plan of action in reference to the Borders. Through experience I have learned that many Liberals have never served which is why they all have the same opinion just like Obama. I pray you are not a gun owner.

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 2:22 pm
  • Becky, glad you brought that up about all the diseases, I have thought of that, the u.s. had irradiated to measels,whooping cough,etc and these are all here again. We have our children vaccinated , sure they don’t . I think the wanna be King should take a few home with him and his family. BTW state dept just issued a worldwide travel alert due to ???? Just saw that on the news. Jason I do appreciate you coming on and posting, you do so good here, we did not have that on the liberal op ed, never saw one post from the graduate from Berkley . Keep up the good work, we appreciate you.

Monday, 23 November 2015, 6:40 pm
    • It’s a pleasure to be here and correspond with you and everyone else. I think we have another article coming out sometime this week 🙂

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 2:25 am
  • I read the libtard version of the Republican Party and Christian Politicians refusing to take in women and children. Oh, that’s right, refusing to take in widows and three year old orphans. Don’t let the facts get in the way. 80% of the Syrian refugees are working age men, unmarried with no children. Many of them have AIDS, syphilis, open TB and many exotic diseases. Most of the 1.3 million refugees are completely unemployable. A bare minimum of them have any education. Most of the women don’t and won’t work at all. Not part of their religion. One in ten of the women are pregnant. . I guess we’re expecting the walk through countries to filter out and take care of the Islamic Extremist before we let the non-Islamic Extremist in.
    If BHO had his way, hell we’d take em all!
    Why is it that the liberal media does not report the objective reality. Because, you libtards “ CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH”

Monday, 23 November 2015, 4:00 pm
  • I realize this is an op-ed, thus merely opinion. Let me offer a slightly different spin on the facts. First, both parties have elements of racism. To deny that avoids the hard work needed to eventually eliminate it from our country. Saying Ben Carson’s performance in the polls is proof of no racism in our party is akin to saying, “some of my best friends are black”. Or a classic my dad used to use about the rare black person he actually knew, “He’s black, but he’s OK”.

It would be better to examine the entire field. As pointed out, the top two candidates are Trump and Carson. Both of these gentlemen have repeatedly painted all Muslims with one broad brush. Suggested closing Mosques, vacillated on the registration of all Muslims, etc. Trump has had to walk back many similar comments related to Latinos.

The candidates that refuse to do that, and instead treat all people with certain inalienable rights are in the bottom tier. There seems to be little appetite for those ideals these days. So, is racism dead in the party? Judging by the rhetoric and polling, I do not think so.

Monday, 23 November 2015, 1:24 pm
    • Sophia, I believe the reason why the bottom-tier candidates are where they are, is because they are elected officials (save for Carly Fiorina). Huckabee, Paul, Bush, Santorum, Christie,Kasich et al, either are currently in elected office, or held elected office in the last 10 years. The Republican Party is tired of politicians, which is why the top 2 candidates are garnering approximately half the vote at this time. The Democrats don’t have that same baneful feeling for the political class that we do, seemingly. This is the root of why we’re overlooking what the left would consider “more qualified” candidates.

I would ask, why would a black man be either 1st or 2nd in national and state polls, if Republicans are racists? I don’t see the comparison with the tired old “how can I be a racist when some of my best friends are blacks?” at all. I think the reason Trump is doing so well, is because he’s tapping into the fears that many Republicans have right now; fears regarding terrorism, fears regarding a stagnant economy and rising prices, fears regarding the lack of leadership in America. Among my friends, of which plenty are conservatives, you’d be hard-pressed to find more than a few that even think Trump is a PALATABLE choice. The predominant description for him is “callous, low character, disgusting, unfit for the presidency”.

I’m NOT a Trump supporter at all, and most of the Republican base doesn’t support him. I believe if we had far fewer candidates vying for the nomination, Trump’s support would be much lower than it is. In 2008, John McCain won the nomination because the conservative vote was split, and McCain got all the moderate vote. To this day, I can’t find anyone that admits that they voted for McCain. But, he won.

This is no knock on Trump supporters, as we all must choose who we think is best for the job. But I’d have to greatly disagree that racism is a palpable force inside my party. After all, we’re the only party that has 2 Hispanic candidates, and a black candidate, in the top tier. And, we’re the only party that has a black senator.

Monday, 23 November 2015, 2:03 pm
      • Jason?

Are you the same Jason who wrote this article??

This response is absolutely on point. On topic, direct, intelligent, no attacks. Love it.

Don’t necessarily agree with all of it, but love it. 🙂

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 1:47 am
        • Yes, I’m the same Jason, Sarah. Thank you!

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 12:42 pm
      • Sorry for the delay in responding. I voted for McCain (in the primary) as did most in my family. On the racism front, check out the comments on the article here about the gun shop owner who refuses to sell to all Muslims. It is a great example of what I was referring to.

As for Trump and Carson, in reality, they are not leading anything except opinion polls. Not one single vote has been cast, and primary voters, in both parties, are a fickle bunch (as 2008 and 2012 clearly showed). However, most of the Republican voters understand that in order to win, you have to have broader support that can pull in independents. That means a candidate that is fiscally conservative, but more moderate on social issues. Neither Trump nor Carson fit that role, so I doubt they will have much success. Once Iowa votes, I imagine there will big shuffling.

Saturday, 28 November 2015, 4:06 pm
  • 130 killed in Paris terror attack. We hear in the USA have a Paris terrorist attack every 1.5 days (90 per day) with gun violence. The answer? arm students, teachers, McDonald’s employees, daycare centers and girl scouts. I’m the NRA and I endorse this nonsense..

Monday, 23 November 2015, 12:19 pm
  • Jason, I am not advocating for a borderless nation. But I am against the blanket banning of any race or nationality. That is what some in here would like. There obviously must be standards and we develop a means with which to screen those who attempt to enter. But we cannot single out specific types of people and forbid their entrance. That is not who we are.

Monday, 23 November 2015, 11:42 am
  • it is very sad that you live with so much hate and fear in your heart. That is such a patently false blanket statement. I have had 3 muslim friends in my lifetime, and all are normal americans, just like you and I (well, maybe not you).

Monday, 23 November 2015, 11:02 am
    • So! A whole three(3)! What a great statistical sample size! If it is only a small part of the Muslim population then the other Muslims need to eradicate it before it destroys them/us all! For the most part all I hear is crickets! The ones I have heard expressing the warnings and speaking out are railed against by the LSM!

Monday, 23 November 2015, 11:58 am
    • Your Muslim friends are obviously not devout Muslims. The Quran does not allow Muslims to have friends that are Christians or Jews. If push came to shove, your out.

Monday, 23 November 2015, 4:22 pm
      • Again… references, please?

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 1:40 am
  • To close the circle of illegal (there I said it) immigration we need to identify those who come to the US on legitimate visas and never leave. The US is one of the few countries I have traveled to that doesn’t have passport control when you exit as well as enter the country.

Monday, 23 November 2015, 10:43 am
    • YUP! So right you are!

Monday, 23 November 2015, 11:59 am
  • It is very sad that there is no such thing as a moderate Muslim. Their religion does not allow them to be friends with Christians or Jews.

Monday, 23 November 2015, 8:27 am
    • Please show me where the Muslim religion actually states that they cannot be friends with Christians or Jews?

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 1:39 am
      • Quran (4:89) “They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks.”

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 3:40 pm
        • Thanks for the reference. I’ll take a look. Unfortunately, I have not had much of a chance to study the Quran. I keep saying I’ll read it… Life keeps getting in the way!

Wednesday, 25 November 2015, 1:29 am
  • I am not without compassion for the Syrian families, trying to save the lives of their loved ones by fleeing the death and cruelty of their war torn country.

Let the mothers, sons and daughters, and the elderly have safe haven and provide food and shelter for them while requiring the fit men to pick up a weapon and fight to take their country back. Put them through basic training, provide them with the means and let them become the “boots on the ground” fighting to rid their country of the evil that they have!

Monday, 23 November 2015, 7:17 am
  • Great OP-ED Jason, but why are we suddenly just concern about Syrians and only 10,000 at that? How about the other BILLIONS of oppressed and brutalized peoples all over the earth in areas like the Congo, Kenya, Nigeria, Korea, Mali and on and on? Would these 10,000 make people feel good or is it just more politics? Personally I don’t believe that now, considering what is going on in the world, is the time to careless open our doors! The attached video shows the true WORLD problem and suggests we should help, but not on our shores! The point being made, is that it is better to help the people in their homeland! People of the USA should be damn grateful we live here! Take the time to watch and think about the magnitude of the real issue!

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 11:48 pm
    • Fair point regarding the other refugees, Sam. As you know, the Syrian refugee situation has been the hot topic of discussion in the news recently, so it seemed appropriate to focus on that particular issue. But you’re right, those that are concerned about helping refugees shouldn’t be solely stuck on this particular issue.

Monday, 23 November 2015, 1:48 pm
      • YUP! Don’t forget the Afghans and Iraqis that help us and now we would lift a finger to help them! They already demonstrated their support for us, but this administration doesn’t care!

Monday, 23 November 2015, 3:17 pm
  • Thank you Jason, great idea. Thank you Proud Veteran for your service. Good night and God Bless

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 10:52 pm
  • Again, as a veteran I still maintain that I served to protect our freedom in every sense, not just those that are convenient. I’m not sure where everyone decided they had the authority to close our borders. One of the things this country is based on is that we are open to all until and only until they prove they do not share our love of freedom. When you make the decision to take that from others you then become what you say you despise.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 10:03 pm
    • Without borders, we can’t be a sovereign nation. If you lock your doors at night, then it’s difficult to advocate for open borders.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 10:51 pm
  • Jason, I must ask, why did you not spell out the word God? I also want to add, why is it when Bill Clinton was President they tried to have him impeached for lying to the public and when Richard Nixon was President he was impeached for lying, why is Barack Obama not being impeached? This an atrocity. Thank you for your conservative views. It is the only views that should count. Also look at what Mr. Obama has done for our brave Veterans. We truly need to get Obama out of office and end the war with ISIS quickly before it is too late and this entire Country pay’s dearly for Obama’s ignorance. Again he is a Muslim, does this not speak for itself?

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 9:39 pm
    • I’m sorry, but as a veteran you should be standing for all of our rights to be heard, not just the rights of the conservatives. Stating that you are a proud veteran and then following that up with a statement to the effect that only a conservative’s opinion should count is pathetic.

I thank you for your service if you truly are a veteran.
      I am embarrassed by your opinions.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 10:22 pm
    • Proud veteran, it’s customary in Judaism to not spell His name in full, as a sign of respect. It’s also intended to avoid any situation where His name might be used in vain. Therefore, Jews often will omit the “o”. It’s not at all intended to be disrespectful.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 10:47 pm
    • proud Veteran, to ad, why was Bush not impeached for lying and crimes against humanity? His lies have consequences affecting the entire world today. When you invade a sovereign country based on lies and butcher innocent people, why should you not be in jail?

Monday, 23 November 2015, 5:31 am
  • This article’s title must be wrong. At least half of the piece had nothing to do with the Syrian refugees and was largely just an attack against liberals. Let’s stop trying to put everyone in to a “Liberal” or “Conservative” box and focus on the actual issues at hand, please? I’m all for hearing different opinions of an issue, but the attacks, the stereotyping, and the criticisms are unnecessary, and they only serve to detract from the discussion that we could actually be having.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 9:14 pm
    • I’m sorry you feel that way. The previous op-ed was an attack against Republicans, and I felt it necessary to address that attack.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 10:52 pm
      • The previous op-ed had one short paragraph, maybe 3-4 lines, at the beginning that was negative towards Republicans, and the rest was on topic. You have responded with about three 6 line paragraphs attacking liberals and what comes off as a couple of sentences of discussion about refugees.

Also… honestly… rise above and stay on topic and people will take you more seriously. Addressing the “attack” lessens the quality of the piece.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 11:29 pm
        • “If you are going to point to the previous article as justification, at least keep it balanced.” Yea, Jason, Remember the RULES of ENGAGEMENT, don’t fire unless fired upon! LOL Liberals don’t think we have a right to counter their attacks! Go crawl back in YOUR hole SARAH!

Monday, 23 November 2015, 9:30 am
          • Don’t label me.

Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 1:35 am
  • Scroll through not try typo

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 9:02 pm
    • We’re working on setting up a new section of the website that is solely dedicated to the political articles, this way, our audience is able to filter the content based on what they want to see. I hope this helps!

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 9:24 pm
  • Tom keep getting timed out, what I meant in my question to you was, could you set it up like you have done now, so we didn’t have to scroll try the other op ed to get to jason, no offense meant by any means . THANKS

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 8:55 pm
    • So you are only interested in reading pieces you already agree with and choose to ignore the rest? Got it.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 9:17 pm
  • I don’t think I have ever read an article closer to my own views on these issues. I hope you are a permanent fixture on RNRF.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 8:16 pm
    • Thank you, Becky. I’m glad you enjoy my contributions! I won’t be going anywhere, as long as I’m welcome. G-d bless.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 9:03 pm
  • Do not let them in we will be in trouble in about two years we can not even take care of our people

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 8:11 pm
  • Correction, that would be Arrested.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 8:10 pm
  • Well said Jason. Frankly I truly feel that we should freeze all boarders for anyone at this time at least until ISIS is removed. Secondly, Mr Obama should be asserted for treason. It is plain and clear that he has committed an act of Treason. He is not an American.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 8:06 pm
    • Thank you for your service, proud veteran. It’s because of great Americans like yourself that we are able to live in relative freedom. G-d bless.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 9:02 pm
    • It is not plain and clear that Obama has committed treason. Please elaborate?

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 9:23 pm
  • Tom quick question , will this be set up as it was before when Jason first did his op ed?hope so, then we don’t have to scroll down all the other,hope that made sense. Thanks Tom

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 7:13 pm
      • Tom, she maybe be trying to say that it is a pain in the rectum to find old articles in the archives! Then again maybe not! Also I would like to see a like/dislike feature and I wished people would USE the REPLY feature in responding to posts!

Monday, 23 November 2015, 12:56 am
  • Thank God you are back Jason, and I stand with you, the Republicans and Israel.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 7:04 pm
    • I didn’t go anywhere, Jana. I’ll always be here to speak on behalf of the conservative voice. I apologize for my recent silence, I’ll try to be more consistent 🙂 I greatly appreciate your support and your kind words.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 9:01 pm
  • Jason, great common sense op-ed.

ISLAMOPHOBIA
    It is the right of every individual to question a religion which claims to be peaceful & yet is responsible for more terror & murders of innocent than any other.
    In the Islamic world, women are treated like animals & bound by prehistoric laws that have absolutely no place in our modern world.
    If anything ISLAM has a phobia about anything.

Sunday, 22 November 2015, 6:56 pm
    • YUP! If it is only a small part of the Muslim population then the other Muslims need to eradicate it before it destroys them/us all! All the fighting age refugees should be back in their homeland fighting for their freedom not here in the USA!

Monday, 23 November 2015, 12:36 am