OPINION: Could Cruz/Rubio Be the Ticket? – Florida Will Decide

The views and opinions expressed in the following Column are those of the designated author and do not necessarily reflect those of RNRF or any of its affiliates.

OPINION: By Jason Marshall

Until Saturday, I hadn’t made a decision on who to support for the Republican nomination. Way back in November of 2015, I jumped on the Draft Scott Walker movement, in hopes that the guy who won three gubernatorial elections and survived a recall election, pushed by the unions of Wisconsin, would be the one that could take down the Democrats in November. That campaign didn’t go well, at all. In fact, the two candidates I supported these last two presidential elections, didn’t even make it to Iowa.

Then, I jumped to the Carly Fiorina campaign, after her strong 1st debate performance. I considered her to be a robust, intelligent, sharp lady that could bring an outside-the-beltway approach to Washington. Unfortunately for her, she too tanked. Fiorina dropped out before the campaign even headed to South Carolina. At this point, figuring out who would be the only conservative candidate that stood a chance at winning the nomination, and beat Hillary Clinton, was going to be a challenge.

We have now had 40% of the United States vote in Republican primaries and caucuses. Out of that 40%, Marco Rubio has only won 1 state, while Ted Cruz has won 5 states (Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Maine, Alaska). At this juncture, Senator Rubio would have to win 69% of the remaining delegates, to reach the magic number of 1,237, necessary to clinch the nomination. To date, Rubio has only won 15% of the total delegates that have been spoken for, and there is no realistic rationale that would suggest him winning 69% of the remaining delegates.

It’s important to me that the Republican Party’s nominee be a conservative with a conservative record. I’ve already outlined my reasons for not supporting Trump, so I won’t get into that again. Suffice to say, I believe the most conservative candidate who can win is the one that we need to choose. So, what makes me think that Cruz can win? Aside from the fact that he’s less than 100 delegates away from Trump, and many of the remaining states hold closed primaries, this should benefit Cruz in surpassing Trump’s delegate count. All four states that held elections, were closed primary states, and Cruz split them with Trump, 2-2. Mr. Rubio doesn’t have any real momentum, and it’s doubtful that he’ll carry Florida next week.

In head-to-head match-ups between Cruz and Clinton, Mr. Cruz fairs better than does Mr. Trump. The RealClearPolitics (RCP) average of polls shows Mrs. Clinton beating Mr. Trump, 45.4% to 42%. Senator Cruz defeats Clinton, 46.5% to 45%, while Rubio fairs the best against her, 48.5% to 43.5%. So, the only chance that he has at this point is a brokered convention. That’s really a worst case scenario for Republicans, and not something that I care to see happen; unless the nominee is someone I can’t support.

Senator Cruz’s candidacy was bolstered Saturday, as it was announced that he had won the CPAC Straw Poll, 40% to 30% over Senator Rubio. CPAC, the Conservative Political Action Conference, held annually, and put together by the American Conservative Union, is a gathering of grassroots conservatives from across the country. Mr. Cruz’s conservative bona fides are evident: He opposes Obama’s executive amnesty, is in favor of repealing and replacing Obamacare; considers Israel to be a strong ally, believes that the late Justice Scalia needs to be replaced by a constitutional originalist, and has stood up for conservative principles, even when it meant turning off the political elites of Washington D.C. (as he refers to them, the Washington Cartel).

I like Marco Rubio a lot. I voted for him in the 2010 primary when he faced Charlie Crist – before Crist left the party and became an independent. I still have a Marco 2010 bumper sticker on my car. Ideally, I’d love to see a Cruz/Rubio ticket, combining Cruz’s staunch conservatism, with Rubio’s charismatic persona. He could help carry Florida and Ohio for the Republican ticket, virtually ensuring victory in November.

It’s time for the conservative base of the Republican Party, to unite behind Senator Ted Cruz. I know that Rubio won’t drop out before Florida; but when he loses Florida, he needs to join forces with Cruz. That, I believe is a winning ticket in November.

Ted Cruz is the conservative candidate that we need for president in 2016.

The Ticket

Comments
  • Sophia, I just laugh at your comments. And about attacking people you should check who attacked who first with the two, no I mean the moron I respond with. You see, when he doesn’t like other people’s comments he and his other user name likes to make stupid remarks. That’s what liberals do, they try to squash other peoples opinions that doesn’t fit with their brainwashed thinking.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 4:15 pm
  • Dell is great. Just the typical ultra conservative who’s ability to debate is limited to personal attacks on anonymous people.

Saturday, 12 March 2016, 11:25 am
  • Here we go again. I thought only middle school bullies told people to kill them selves. Insults from you are like compliments. Also, I only have one user name.

Thursday, 10 March 2016, 11:52 am
  • silly willie, you are the most dense headed moron in Spring Hill maybe the state. Who comes up with silly willie anyway. Is it because your willie is silly or what. Do yourself a favor and self euthanize yourself that way less SSI will be taken out of the system. And it will also take out your other user name Hernadoidiot.

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 11:41 pm
  • Do you mean the guy who couldn’t think of a screen name so he used the one stamped on his computer?

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 8:04 pm
  • Actually bad computer guy, my name originates from a great Spanish explorer, but to keep it simple for you and Trump voters,thecounty is fine.

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 5:42 pm
  • Face the TRUTH and ADMIT it, we really have NO good candidates!!
    The three top republican candidates are ALL full of sh*t.
    All three are LIARS and act like grade school kids!!!

Unique07 – The ONLY reason Rubio spoke out about Trump first
    was because Cruz was a chicken sh*t..
    Cruz is the biggest phony and fake person I’ve ever seen!!!

My vote will go AGAINST ALL THREE!!!

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 2:47 pm
  • Amazing how the roaches attack. Dell, your right they are scared of Trump. Maybe we need to turn on the lights so they can run away and hide.

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 11:50 am
  • 3 more wins for Trump last night. 0 for Cruz.

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 8:07 am
  • Can’t forget dense as a rock poster that name start with a county and has other user names that lives in his own bubble world.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 11:44 pm
  • Sandy, your correct some people here are on Crack and ignorant. You know who you are. Give you a hint establishment voters. just saying.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 11:34 pm
  • And then there are the lunatics who think everything is a conspiracy, I don’t want to mention any names but the poster sounds like a terrible computer.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 9:17 pm
  • Anyone BUT trump! People hate him because he’s a idiot not because they are afraid of him, seriously what about him is intimidating? He fights like a 12 year old girl
    Come on the guy has small hands lol?
    His money was given to him by his daddy, he has accomplished Nothing himself!
    He has a big mouth and that’s about it. He uses his money to get publicity which allows you to see and hear what a A** he is and yet you still choose to vote for him
    Seriously a wall around Mexico will solve all of our problems, the guy is a first class idiot!
    I like this article, I actually will consider voting for Rubio because he was the first to speak up about what a D*^k Trump is, Rubio is real and doesn’t take crap. Hmmm Rubio or the red head Joker
    Voting for Trump, you must be the same moron who put Scott in Florida to Govern not once but twice-Seriously!?!?
    Use your brain that’s why you have one. I’m still undecided because slim pickings but Trump isn’t even a possibility even if he paid me a small fortune

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 8:27 pm
  • I think SOME people who comment on this article must be smoking CRACK.
    Either that or they are just plain ignorant.. (just saying)

I wonder how many of these same people have even watched EVERY SINGLE DEBATE,
    regardless of which party is doing the debates?
    It sure makes me wonder,because I have watched both republican and democrat debates.

My opinions are NOT based on the media!

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 7:44 pm
  • “I think Trump is willing to put his life on the line to take back this country and undo all the damage that has been done by both parties.” – LOL – Thanks Dell. I needed a good laugh.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 6:38 pm
  • If you want to vote for a Socialist and a Communist vote for “you will feel the burn Bernie” and “you will see how a communist country is run Hitlery” if you want to save this country vote let’s see

Cruz, not a chance in hell, wife has high Goldman Sachs connections and failed to disclose a loan from the firm on his 2012 FEC filings.

Rubio, not a chance in hell, agree with Becky’s comments and his bubble gay party that he attended. That’s why they call him the bubble boy in inside circles. And why vote another one in since we already have one in office.

Trump, let’s see Rebloodlicans, Democrips, lamestream media, the false prophet pope, communist president’s around the world, agency run ISIS and many others hate him. Why, because they are scared of him of putting a screw to the establishment agenda that has been put in place for decades now. Kennedy tried to put a screw into their agenda and look what happened to him. Reagan tried to do the same and look what happened to him. After surviving their attempt, Reagan fell in line. If Trump makes it through the massive rigging of votes that I see coming and becomes our president, will we see a repeat of the past? And if that past happens again will it be the eye opener that will wake the sleeping giant of this country? We will see.

So Trump is the only choice. I think Trump is willing to put his life on the line to take back this country and undo all the damage that has been done by both parties.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 3:51 pm
  • ted cruz is my guy,trump is a flip floper and rubio is a liar.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 3:19 pm
  • Vote yes on 2 have a blessed day..

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 10:16 am
  • Polls:

Quinnipiac 2/25:
    Trump 44%
    Rubio 28%
    Cruz 12%

Monmouth 3/6:
    Trump 38%
    Rubio 30%
    Cruz 13%

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 9:04 am
  • Call me Dis. Great post. Jason is misguided.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 1:04 am
  • sorry about typos.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 11:44 pm
  • let me see now. Yeah Rubio sounds perfect for the job. He gets mixed up on whose credit card is his to use for petsonal use.never seem to have a real job in his whole life. .Yeah plans for the future very well, Cashed in a retirement plan to pay bills. Got his wife a job part time making hundreds of thousands of dollars from a political cronies. Seems to me he’s sleazy enough to make a great president. Let’s jump on the Rubio bandwagon before all tje wheels fall off,

Monday, 7 March 2016, 11:42 pm
  • Okay Jason, you did not get anything.That remark shows your opinion articles are worthless. NOBODY is treating the constitution as if is tp. If you think Cruz can be president. you have no sense.You are just toeing the Repub party line. Most self thinking Americans know the Repubs have messed this country up.Jeb and Rick Scott have messed up Florida. I worked for the state during both Governorships and seen it first hand. WE need to move ahead and come up with new ideas instead the same old failing conservative nonsense. You are no better than some of the crackpots that post here. Tom Lemons, dump this clown if you have the nerve.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 9:47 pm
  • No, Rubio is a major….well yeah?

I would want Bernie Sanders but that just ain’t gonna happen ?

So I’m voting DONALD TRUMP!

Monday, 7 March 2016, 9:40 pm
  • Joyce, should Bush have been able to run for a 2nd term after lying about WMD’s and invading Iraq? Don’t think Hillary’s emails cost any lives, Bush’s lies ended the lives of over 200,000 innocent people.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 8:52 pm
  • What has Cruz done for the good of the country and what has Rubio done for the good of the country? As far as I can tell, NOTHING! all the Republicans ELECTED LAST ELECTION, what have they done,NOTHING BUT STICK THEIR HEADS IN THE SAND. So here we are with all the so called “conservatives” in power and what have they done since being in office ? Nothing, so to quote Dr Phil, “hows that working out for you”
    Come on people use some common sense.
    From what they say, if you do something that is illegal as in the email debacle, you are not allowed to run for public office. Well it seems that something was done and yet there is a candidate still running. what is up with that? I guess it still has to be proven in complete details.
    Of all the 17 candidates there were at least three who were more qualified to be the President over Rubio.
    I JUST DO NOT GET IT.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 8:34 pm
  • So what you’re saying, silly willie, is that you have no problem with treating the constitution as if it’s toilet paper. Got it.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 8:01 pm
  • If Cruz was driving an ice cream truck down my street, I would tell my kids to run and hide! Dude is a FREAK!!

Monday, 7 March 2016, 8:00 pm
  • I’m voting for Rubio. The reason is simple. I want to encourage him to stay in. The Republican candidates have turned this election in to a reality show and I can imagine no better ending than a brokered convention.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 7:35 pm
  • Jason,I have had enough of the conservatives. Cruz is the scariest one off all! The Tea Party was one of worst movements to happen in the US. The ones in the House will be voted out. And Tallahassee,WOW that is a whole other thing.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 7:06 pm
  • Sophia I agree with your last post, we have had 8 yrs of no one working across the aisle, I blame both parties for this as well as our current leader.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 6:28 pm
  • It seems Becky doesn’t approve of those who pay NO TAX to have some skin in the game & is upset that those making more money will pay less. I see nothing wrong w/that. We are all Americans & we should ALL be contributing. Why should those paying more pay for those who pay nothing. That is not fair. I am a Cruz supporter but Rubio, NEVER! Rubio betrayed many. He was the Tea Party darling because he said he was going to stand firm against Obama’s policies & turned coat like Benedict Arnold. Cruz has never wavered & I’ve supported him since he ran for Senator in Texas. Does anyone not have any more principles or values? Does truth not matter anymore? This is why our country is declining. The lies & corruption by politicians is destroying our nation. We must elect principled individuals who are honest and have integrity. This is our time and it’s time to choose right, or lose our nation. Do believe the media hype & the lies being told about Cruz. The media has some critical information about Trump which they are going to start putting out in June/July/August if he becomes the nominee. When the devastation comes out, no one will want to vote for him and we will lose to a lying & deceitful individual or a socialist/communist one & you know where that will lead, just look at China, North Korea, etc. Vote for the Constitution, vote Ted Cruz.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 6:24 pm
    • you said it all, like

Friday, 11 March 2016, 8:54 am
  • rubio would never show up for work, and Ted would never have anyone to talk too,nobody like him

Monday, 7 March 2016, 6:20 pm
  • Very good posts here, Trump is the man that will do it, John DeMays, you are so RIGHT. For the ones who want Ole Bernie, please google socialist and educate yourself , What the government giveth, they can take taketh. Trump ,Trump Trump, If I get one more phone call to support Rubio, I am throwing it out the window!! ?

Monday, 7 March 2016, 6:17 pm
  • Remember when the ability to work across the aisle was considered a good thing with our leaders?

Monday, 7 March 2016, 5:57 pm
  • I intend to vote AGAINST all three, Trump -Rubio AND Cruz!!!
    They are all three LIARS and CRYBABIES who act like CHILDREN!!
    I don’t want them to lead MY country!!

Monday, 7 March 2016, 5:57 pm
  • We’ll be living the movie “Idiocracy” with a Trump election.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 5:42 pm
  • Trump is a Democratic plant devised to blow up the Re[publican Party! Think its working??

Monday, 7 March 2016, 5:40 pm

Friday, 11 March 2016, 8:53 am
  • Trump isn’t a Republican, or a conservative. The choice is clear – Ted Cruz.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 5:11 pm

Friday, 11 March 2016, 8:52 am
  • Ursula we can not AFFORD Bernie. All his free free free Bu// Sh*+ is not free. Who do you think is going to pay for free healthcare, free college, You , me and our grandchildren . He talks a good story but thats all it is , A story for a perfect world wake up, this is not a perfect world, and it is not possible. .

Monday, 7 March 2016, 5:04 pm
  • To bad Trump is gunna win

Monday, 7 March 2016, 4:55 pm
  • Not a Trump fan but I’d take him over those two any day.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 4:48 pm
  • Cruz’s 10% Flat Tax. Are you kidding me!!! Currently anyone single making over $413.200. and a married couple making over $464,850. is paying 39.6%. So the top wage earners get a 29.6% tax reduction. And those in the lower income bracket, single making less than $10,300. and a married couple making less than $16,300 who currently pay no taxes will now have to pay 10%. Who exactly do you think is going to benefit. Only the rich.
    Marco Rubio has absolutely no experience in the Business world. He couldn’t even avoid the bank foreclosing on his own home. And, he’s suppose to help run the US and World economy. HaHaHaHa. He has missed more votes than any other Senator EVER. Talk about missing work. He still got paid and never showed up. Give me a break.

VOTE FOR DONALD TRUMP OR DON’T VOTE AT ALL

Monday, 7 March 2016, 4:22 pm
  • I apologize Tom. It’s the Jason dude who is wrong, not you.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 4:17 pm
  • With your track record, please, please, choose Clinton……then, we will have a chance to get the right guy in the WH

Monday, 7 March 2016, 3:51 pm
  • You have been wrong so far Tom. The little chihuahua Marco needs to get a real job finally.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 3:42 pm
  • Unfortunately for the American voting public, they are given the illusion of choice . A majority do not know what delegates and super delegates are. In a nut shell, they are elected officials from different states , governors , senators, congressman , mayors and other political elites……in spite of what ‘the people’ want, delegates and super delegates ultimately choose for you……’for your own good’ , because they believe the American voting public doesn’t know what they want because a majority vote as if it were a popularity contest. They vote according to how a candidate looks,speaks or acts as opposed to their criteria or policy voting track record on this issue or that. And the end of the day, your vote has little to do with whether or not this or that candidate is elected Commander -in -Chief.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 3:42 pm
  • I am sick of the republicants holding back the progress of this country. Bernie Sanders is the only candidate that can beat Trump and has policies that will fix this broken country and make it the envy of the world again.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 3:39 pm
  • And add that Cruz bears a great deal of responsibility for the IMF making the Chinese Yuan a reserve currency. That is probably the main reason I would not vote for him. It shows he has no understating of cause and effect on the global economic stage.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 3:37 pm
  • Cruz has recently made two statements that make him unelectable in a general elation.

1 – “I am a Christian first and an American second”.
    2 – “If elected, I would fight for life, liberty and religious freedom.”

I believe the Declaration of Independence said Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 3:30 pm
  • We the people have gamble and hope for a change for America the land I fought for. For 59 years I heard all candidacy saying the same BS, promising to make changes. Yes changes were made to benefit the government and to screw the same people like me a vietnam era vet.
    So Trump is not refine, and don’t know how to talk the lingo, is not an experience politician, and he lies. Come on we all lie, and the biggest liars are the politicians. Trump is a doer, and knows how to make money. Instead the government spend money and go bankruptcy to send a rocket to the moon. How long have they been researching a cure for cancer? But when there was an outbreak of aids, they got the cure immediately. There making trillions, this is suppose to be the richest country. They worrying about other countries instead of the one we live in. Raising the taxes, and everything else, and not raising the minimum wage to screw the low income. They have to get there money from somewhere. We have homeless vets on the streets begging for money.

My opinion and as many think Trump is our only hope to save this country. He’s got the balls.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 3:21 pm
  • Trump 2016….wouldn’t vote for either of these 2 sleazeballs….check out there back grounds,,,,don’t believe what the media is saying they are all lies…….the politicians are scared to death of Trump,,gonna lose their cushy jobs that they make millions for doing Nothing….Wake up America !!

Monday, 7 March 2016, 3:15 pm
  • OMG! Never, not even being considered! Neither! Lying Ted & No vote Rubio! I’d rather suck the eyes outta a mullet! I’d gamble on 4yrs with Trump and anybody than them! We’ve been screwed by Washington for 50 yrs..Now’s the time to clean house, take back our country, get rid of all the Good Ol’ Boys in our National, State and local Gov’t. This is our last chance before America has a total meltdown!!!

Monday, 7 March 2016, 3:13 pm
  • We haven’t had a conservative as president since 1988, so it’s impossible to say that we’ve had enough of them.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 2:57 pm
  • Trump for President

Monday, 7 March 2016, 2:51 pm
  • Could be a winning ticket!

Monday, 7 March 2016, 2:40 pm
  • We have had enough of conservatives. We don’t need any more.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 2:26 pm
  • I’m not sure what you’re asking, Michelle. Please explain.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 2:18 pm
  • SMH!!

Monday, 7 March 2016, 2:13 pm
  • Would work for me!

Monday, 7 March 2016, 1:52 pm
  • TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT.

Monday, 7 March 2016, 1:34 pm
  • What? There are a lot of Floridian’s that just do not understand what means what in political lingo.. “Any way it can be put in layman’s terms?”…thxs

Monday, 7 March 2016, 1:33 pm