Outback Steakhouse Closed After Inspectors Find Live Roaches

SPRING HILL – If you were planning to enjoy a Bloomin’ Onion at Outback Steakhouse this evening, you’ll probably need to make other plans.

Through an anonymous tip, RNRF learned that the Outback Steakhouse located at 4905 Commercial Way shut down immediately after opening for lunch. That same source tells RNRF that he was told by management that they “lost hot water.” Turns out there is a lot more the story and it has nothing to do with hot water.

According to a Health Inspection Report by Florida’s Division of Hotels and Restaurants, during an inspection of the restaurant today, inspectors located live roaches and at least 9 other code violations. The inspector reports finding 6 live roaches under a flat top, 5 on top of a wheel under a flat top, one under the dish machine drain, and one in a storage room. There were also several dead roached located in various locations.

Other less serious violations include a cook preparing food without a hair restraint, a long-haired cook only wearing a hat, and an accumulation of grease on a vent over the wait station.

We tried to speak with a restaurant manager but she was unable to comment on the situation and just provided a number for their corporate headquarters. We were unable to reach a representative with their Corporate office for comment.

As a result of the inspection, an emergency order of suspension was issued and the restaurant is now closed. It is unknown at this time when the restaurant will reopen.

Comments
  • Did they ever get their slippery floor fixed?

I slipped on it on the way in a couple weeks back, and the server said, “I’m not surprised, many customers have been complaining.”

I said, “why is it like this? I almost fell but I caught myself. I can’t even make it to a table.”

“Do you want me to get a manager?”

The manager (a male, not this lady everyone keeps mentioning) apologized for the server. I said no, you need to apologize for you as a manager not caring about your floors nor your customers. That’s a lawsuit waiting to happen!

He claimed they were getting new floors soon, and that the cleaning company cleaned them wrong. I said maybe you should have shut the restaurant down while you are in an unsafe state.

Glad we refused his offer of free to-go food, if there’s this roach issue.

Gross.

Thursday, 17 August 2017, 7:16 pm
    • Well again if the proprietor was mature enough to care more about the restaurant than having relationships with the employees. Maybe things would get taken care of like they should. Pretty soon this OB with have the reputation of being just a dirty Golden Corral if she stays as proprietor. I suggest you take this up with their corporate office. The proprietor of this OB is NEVER there….again to busy with her personal life to care.

Friday, 18 August 2017, 6:44 pm
  • Tom how can outback open back up in four hrs doesn’t it have to get re inspected who paid who off ?

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 6:27 pm
  • went there once was given the wrong order when explained to the waitress she brought the wrong order ,she took the plate a manager came out said ,we apologize and will bring you ,your order soon,came back after a little while manager came back out with correct order ,stated very friendly tone voice,here’s your order,hope you enjoy it ,I did it my self,she stood there and said take a bite ,make sure you like it.i ate some and by time we left I had severe cramps and diarreah all nite the next day upset stomach all day.would never eat there again

Sunday, 6 August 2017, 7:29 am
    • Must have been Justine who made it

Wednesday, 9 August 2017, 5:54 pm
    • Most likely had you try it in front of her for this very reason….she’s vindictive no doubts it was tainted

Friday, 18 August 2017, 6:46 pm
  • @rob I hope you finally open your eyes fire that horrible G.M. there that has ruined this place…..js

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 11:38 pm
  • There is literally a pest control company less than 500′ away called Ecofloridian. They handle multiple properties for me, some commercial and we have zero issues with bugs. I have used plenty in town over the years but they are the “Ghostbusters” of pest control, lol. Someone just needs to walk over or call…..

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 10:38 pm
  • RC, I touched on your point in my earlier comment about quality of workers, i’m not stereo typing here, just stating facts our upcoming generation in large knows only google, facebook, and how to rapidly move there thumbs on dam dumb phone or game controller, sad bit true, i’m seeing new hires in my workplace dumb as rocks…………. no common sense! no passion, or pride in the work they do..on and on…………. on my 1st dinner date with current girlfriend @ longhorns hwy 50, right as we settled in to our steaks/ribs a waitress directly next to our booth slammed a full can of peanuts to the floor so hard without warning causing both of us to twitch / jump outta seat like we got tazed! VALLEY GIRL! (best part ?? she looks casually over and says that’s the favorite part of my job! WOW REALLY! like oh my god! like!) i was in disbelief a young woman in food service wouldn’t know better but?? DUH! I hate to complain but bet your ass i did!!! oh well makes me wanna go train personell @ all these chains how it should be done!!!

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 4:30 pm
  • Rob you hit it just right, also many others…………i was a waiter for many years, also worked other service jobs where i iv’e seen back ends of restaurants…………..know this! every single strip mall etc. in springhill has rats/bugs…..(unless the bldg owner and or tenants are vigilant in baiting control etc. used to have an office in strip on 50 @ beacon theater…… rats rats and more……they only need smallest of holes to get in too, and especially when weather is cold.but florida =bugs. as for all chains sad that portions are ridiculous, all are pre weighed measured etc. and servers O.M.G. seems hard to find true good servers anywhere anymore as many don’t have or were ever taught old fashioned edicate,class, and most of all (care about what there doing) when i served my customers were like royalty i was anal in watching every detail, most of this is the youth today,next generation has been going wrong way like society in general for a long time. sorry for mispells! gooday!

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 10:13 am
  • Why doesn’t the health do something about the dog invasion in stores where they don’t belong.I’m thinking about bringing my cat into these stores and see what kind of fun we can have. (Not really) If dogs are allowed where does it end? Are dog owners the only ones to get a pass?

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 7:22 am
    • Right on!!!

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 7:05 pm
    • its service animals. they cant under law deny them. you can get nearly every animal in that category. i just seen a guy that had a duck that he takes on planes and into restaurants and in to stores that is an official service animal.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 7:19 pm
      • If these were true “service animals”, they would net let others in the stores/restaurants pet or otherwise interact with the animals as that would interfere with the “service” they would provide. When you go into Lowes and a person has 4 very active and yapping puppies in their scooter, those are not service animals. Yet anyone can buy a tag or a vest that says service animal, ten if they are questioned about it, they would immediately scream discrimination.

I have 3 great dogs at home, but at no time would I consider taking them to any store or restaurant, that is simply not their place.

Monday, 7 August 2017, 8:31 am
        • Amen and thank you

Monday, 7 August 2017, 3:08 pm
    • What in thee hell do DOGS have to do with this article about roaches? And are you seriously comparing a dog to the filth of a cockroach? Are these “dogs” going into the kitchens at dining establishments in Spring Hill now? Or, perhaps, is this just an irrelevant rant of a pissed off cat owner? Try to stay on topic or focus on something that is actually a danger to the public. Use your “Commonsense”.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 8:12 pm
      • Guess I pushed your button. My commonsense tells me that I don’t want my grandchildren riding in a grocery cart where somebody’s dirty butt dog has been. I was just saying that health inspectors need to enforce all the health codes. No I do not want to eat where their is filth and vermin nor do I want to eat where there are animals around the food I eat or buy. Managers look the other way when people bring their dogs in because they know there will be a scene if the dog owner is confronted.( non-service) I understand the use of service animals but people bringing their dogs into stores so they don’t have to leave them in their cars. Leave them a home. We were at restaurant a couple of months ago and a family brought their dog to the table (out side table) in a chair. I asked if this was allowed, the answer was no. Hopefully everyone keeps their dogs clean. There are people who have allergy’s. I’m just saying a little consideration would go a long ways. I don’t have a cat, but if I did would I be allowed to bring It into a grocery store (non service) in a cat cart??? By the way you can go line and get about any animal certified as a service animal.

Sunday, 6 August 2017, 4:31 pm
        • No, you didnt push a button. I just didnt see the relevance to the article in your comment. The Health Dept CANNOT keep up with actual health INSPECTIONS of restaurants. I dont think “policing” dogs in carriers or even a shopping cart is high on the priority list. There are waaaay bigger “fish to fry”.They have disinfectant wipes at most stores now but I also carry my own. I not only wipe down the push bar on carts but also the plastic “seat”-top AND bottom. Then I get 2 more wipes and scour each of my hands. All I can envision is a baby with a saturated diaper leaking out all over that plastic. Sick folks hacking, god only knows what!, right above that “seat”. Tuberculosis ring a bell? The flu? And that is where most women put their hand bags! (and think of ALL the places you then put your hand bag AFTER that-front seat? kitchen counter when you get home? Yummy) I would be more worried about Hepatits, HIV and E-Coli from a human (baby or not) than I will EVER be concerned with a dogs (potentially) dirty ass on the same seat!! (and no, I do not have OCD-I am a nurse-to actual humans) We can always agree to disagree. 🙂

Monday, 7 August 2017, 7:00 pm
          • Relevance has never meant anything here. You are right,we can agree to disagree. Thank you

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 6:18 am
  • The service there has been, and continues to be, absolutely horrible. We quit going for years, gave it another chance and it was good, on the next visit it was terrible again. We will never go again because of that. Management, and/or the quality of workers available, given the demographics of Spring Hill, is responsible. Glad we quit going since it has roach problems. SMH

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 1:13 am
  • I haven’t lived in Florida my whole life, but my time here has showed me that whenever their is hard rains, the bugs will come. I have all the ant and roach bug things in my house, but after a few days of rain, they will find a way in. I do not blame in on bad labor, but on bad bugs being in Florida. And if all you northerners got something to say, I was born and raised in Minnesota. It’s gonna happen, get over it.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 10:48 pm
    • Lisa, I am sure the Inspector understands the problem you describe. He knows where to look for the roaches because he knows where the staff is deficient in their cleaning. Being in the restaurant business myself, I also know it is a constant battle to keep things clean, especially in such a busy place. Their exterminator is also responsible to instruct on where to clean and properly spray enough chemicals. I enjoy going to Outback and I hope this embarrassment will get the management to do a better job as our health is in their hands.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 1:30 am
    • I’ve lived in Florida for the last 22 years. One of the first things that I found out even before moving here was that “Florida was the land of weeds and bugs”. I have a “bug man” and have always had one,that comes to my house once every three months. He sprays the inside of my house, puts a granular substance on the outside perimeter of my house and I have to say that I NEVER, EVER, find a single bug in my house…no ants, no roaches, no palmetto bugs or any other type of insect. He charges me $53.00 every three months for this service. The only other heartbeats in my house is a lizards who once in a while finds its’ way inside. Other than that, NOTHING! I know that Restaurants are prone to have critters because of food, water and grease being present. But, proper cleaning of the entire Restaurant, not just the cooking area, needs to be done constantly. As far as you saying that “they will find their way in”….get some protection for your home and rain or no rain, you won’t find a single one…Oh, let me change that…the only one I may see every once in awhile, and that’s very rare is a dead bug…the way they should be it they’re in your home.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 9:58 am
      • some how i doubt in 22 years youve never had a bug in your house unless its toxic as toxic gets. my dad worked pest control for decades and the one thing he would say is every house and every place of business has a bug some where and if you dont see them, you arent looking hard enough.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 7:16 pm
      • What company di you use Joann? Thank you

Sunday, 6 August 2017, 6:00 pm
      • I’d like to know who ur bug Guy is? He’s about to have a few new customers!! Everywhere I’ve looked is verrryyy expensive.

Monday, 7 August 2017, 9:12 am
      • who is your bugman???

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 8:33 am
  • Open & crowded tonight (Friday evening).

Friday, 4 August 2017, 9:39 pm
  • That’s a why You Should Stop Going To Chains restaurant ND try our great MOM snd Pop Restaurant, in Town

Friday, 4 August 2017, 9:28 pm
    • Why are you capitalizing words that shouldn’t be capitalized? You can’t even write properly, why would we go eat at your place? ;-D

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 1:03 am
  • wow!!!

Friday, 4 August 2017, 8:54 pm
  • gross!!!!!!

Friday, 4 August 2017, 8:51 pm
  • welcome to florida. insects and mgmt that lacks where it counts in so many places…

Friday, 4 August 2017, 8:42 pm
  • They are open right now so guess they got their bugs out lol

Friday, 4 August 2017, 8:13 pm
  • Crazy B why would a bartender wear a hornet? Been to several restraunts that have bars and have never seen any bartender with a hairnet…..

Friday, 4 August 2017, 7:57 pm
    • LoL hairnet not hornet

Friday, 4 August 2017, 8:02 pm
  • Ok so let’s be honest people, this is FL and we have millions of bugs here. First off I’m not making excuses but if you think for one second that 95% of restaurants have No bugs what so ever your wrong. I have done electrical work in hundreds of commercial kitchens from here to St.Pete. The restaurants might be spotless but I’ve still seen bugs. Pest control sprays once or 2 times a month. Think of your own home and be honest with your self you know how clean you are but I bet you have still seen bugs in your house. The cooks and staff are not going to serve you food “I would hope not” if they saw bugs in it and I know that’s they are back there cleaning as they work. Any way if you think it’s just outback you’re blind to life.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 7:49 pm
    • And that’s why I cook at home all the time. I have my house and yard treated monthly, no bugs here.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 9:55 am
  • I have see many food servers in many restaurants not wearing hair nets. Don’t those with beards have to wear something, too? Glad to see the Health Inspector is inspecting. The last time I heard a restaurant closed was when the Chinese one on Mariner and Northcliffe, years ago.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 7:29 pm
  • Just drove past Outback, parking lot full with cars. They must have had another inspection. They are open.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 7:24 pm
  • Maybe Justine should be less worried about sleeping with her employees and more concerned about her restaurant.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 7:01 pm
    • That was a rude and ignorant comment! Justine is a great manager and nice woman!! To bad you don’t have the balls to leave your name coward!!! That Outback is very clean and haters have spread this nasty, fake article about the health dept.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 1:45 pm
      • ummm….where did the offical notice come from then???

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 3:07 pm
      • Unfortunately Bobbi…An Outbacker is TOTALLY on point! Justine treats it as her personal playground and not as a business. Pete needs to rethink her proprietorship. That store has hit rock bottom under her watch. Bobbi you are not or have been an employee of this Outback. She is KNOWN by her employees for her “chasing” of her male employees.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 7:11 pm
      • Bobbi you must not know the real Justine.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 9:04 pm
      • Haha what drugs are you on she is a horrible gm there is no question about it she has ruined that outback I know almost every original outback worker who has quiet there or transferred and can not stand her she has screwed that place over. She is a childish person who does not know how to run a restaurant at all! and should be fired and I hope Pete realizes that sooner or later.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 11:54 pm
    • Very true statement right here. They did close down for people thinking it is a fake. But they weren’t closed for long. This place has had these issues for a while now. It’s just the first time they got caught.

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 8:55 pm
  • Certainly reflects on upper management. The place has gone down hill with the person whose name is above the door. She certainly does not reflect what a proprietor should be. Change in management would do the trick. Pete maybe you need to clean house.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 6:59 pm
  • No surprise, I can’t think of too many restaurants in Hernando County that are worth going to anyway. Outback just got busted. They started taking a header when they reduced their plate size to make portions look bigger. The last time I went there I asked for more butter for their bread they served. It looked more like Crisco than butter. The chowder tasted like it was made with 2% milk, the place just sucked. They aren’t alone though… Last time I went to Bonefish, I wanted to order my burger rare,it (at least then) stated on the menu it was our bad if we ordered our food under cooked. I wasn’t even given that choice, it came burned. I questioned our server, she passed the buck on to the manager, and said the manager told the cooks to cook burgers well done. Is their meat that bad they need to sanitize it by cooking the snot out of it? That was my last time in Bonefish. Texas Roadhouse? Another culinary delight. If they don’t spice the crap out of everything it’s unusual. Time was a customer had to ask for food to be kicked up a bit. Now you need to ask..or bribe someone there, to not spice things. What happened to the days when the customer was always right?
    Isn’t it true ( I sound like a lawyer now) that back in the old cowboy days, the reason everything was heavily spiced, was because it was just short of rotten, and it masked the taste. Just Saying.
    You know, something to think about.
    I could go on, and on, and on about Hernando County restaurants, but I’ll pass the torch to someone else.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 6:33 pm
  • I visired up north and what they do now is any establishment thst servers food nust put their latest health inspection report on the front door and it contains a bold letter grade so everyone that wants to eat knows exactly what they are walking into.i thought that was a great idea it keep the piblic informed and promotes better pratices for the business cause they would not want a bad report right there for all to see.i wish they would do that here

Friday, 4 August 2017, 6:05 pm
  • I just ate at that roach motel last weekend. Food quality has also gone done the crapper in recent years. Guess thats what happens in a corporate situation..profits before quality

Friday, 4 August 2017, 5:55 pm
  • I know for fact that they pay Ecolab a lot of $$$ for pest elimination, dish cleaning and sanitation.
    Bloomin Brands is really a good outfit. In Florida bugs-roaches come from everywhere & everything being delivered to the facility. I have even seen guests/customers bring roaches into the restaurant (dead & alive) toreceive free meals and compensation.
    Not nice but true.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 5:53 pm
  • Not true. Ate dinner last night place was opened & no signs anywhere of violation.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 5:46 pm
  • This place has gone to SHiT

Friday, 4 August 2017, 5:42 pm
  • Gross. You’d think that for their over-inflated prices they’d use some of the profits on cleaning products. Yuck!

Friday, 4 August 2017, 5:38 pm
  • Cockroaches are a very clean bug that eat pesky dirty bugs. Many third world nations use them in Hospitals.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 5:31 pm
  • Taste like… a crunchy, yummy for your tummy, fat body roach delight.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 5:24 pm
  • Thank goodness my husband and I didn’t go there!!

Friday, 4 August 2017, 5:12 pm
  • My Sister-in-law just called there and they made a reservation for her tonight at 6 PM? Could they really open that quickly?

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:58 pm
  • Crikey ! Crickets ! Man, if they can find over a dozen live roaches in broad daylight, I cringe to think of what goes on there overnight.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:51 pm
    • I spent 20 years managing restaurants and I’ll tell you, you’re exactly right! When they’re visible in daylight, there’s a huge problem! Yuck!

Friday, 4 August 2017, 5:08 pm
    • Tom, Take down that gross pic of a zit, creature host? Is that on one of the cooks faces?? Does he squirt that on the plate as tarter sauce? ? SO GROSS, I’ll never eat there! And it’s a nazi compound?? Am I viewing this right?
      I don’t think the place has been there 70 years!! But if it was secretly hidden , I guess it’s possible. I sure hope that cook gets some help with that thing on his face.?

Friday, 4 August 2017, 9:02 pm
      • Then zit is probably the proprietors. She sits there and picks at her face. Gross! And yes it is pretty much like working in a nazi compound. I’ve heard that from plenty of employees. I feel bad for the employees working under her.

Thursday, 10 August 2017, 6:07 pm
  • Ewwwww

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:41 pm
  • extra crunchy bloomin onions

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:34 pm
  • Pete may is the area manager most of the stores in his area are this way

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:32 pm
  • That outback lost alot of good servers when the new so called management took over but they still keep a male that has two charges against him but he is still there long hair behind the bar with no hair net we took our eating out to other places neaver there again lets see how Pete handles this one

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:29 pm
    • Yah new management you mean the gm there Justine

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 11:32 pm
  • Ewww!!!

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:29 pm
  • Something always “bugged” me about this restaurant!

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:26 pm
  • Now on sale bloomin cockroaches lol

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:25 pm
  • This is why we need more inspectors its not easy to keep a restaurant up to code ,its a team effort and it obvious this team is broken.Keep its closed.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 4:01 pm
  • Thank you RNRF for keeping the public advised.

Friday, 4 August 2017, 3:47 pm
  • Maybe they shouldve spent less on the renovations and more on the pest control and clean up! ?

Friday, 4 August 2017, 3:45 pm