Pack of Vicious Pit Bulls Nearly Kill Woman’s Pony, Pit Bull Killed Her Chihuahua Last Year

WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES

BROOKSVILLE – Pit Bulls have long been criticized for being extremely dangerous and they are often the “breed” of choice by criminals who use them for dog fighting, which subsequently leaves them unadoptable if they are lucky enough to be rescued before being killed.

Some experts say the Pit Bull is not inherently aggressive but if they have been mistreated or trained to fight, they are more likely to cause severe injury or death to humans and animals if they attack. That’s exactly what one woman says happened to her family on more than one occasion and she wants answers.

Jenna Kazmier posted on social media yesterday, a terrifying story of how three Pit Bulls attacked and nearly killed her 26-year-old Pony “Gator.” A pony Kazmier says she’s had since she was 11.  The incident happened at her mother’s farm located on Happy Trail in Brookville, where Kazmier says the Pit Bulls entered her parents 5-acre fenced property and severely mauled her Pony. If not for a neighbor witnessing the attack and firing a gun to scare the animals away, the Pony would have most likely died, says Kazmier.

Another neighbor contacted Kazmier and told her that three large Pit Bulls, covered in blood, were standing in her front yard, and that she was afraid to get out of her vehicle. An Animal Control officer arrived and captured two of the animals but the third ran back to its owner at 25035 Richbarn Road. Kazmier tells RNRF that when the Officer grabbed the animals, he stated to the Pit Bulls, “You didn’t do that did you?” Unbeknownst to Kazmier, the Officer proceeded to return the animals back to their owner.

Perplexed at the officer’s casual attitude, Kazmier asked, “Aren’t you going to take any pictures of my Pony or give me a card or something?” Kazmier says the Officer replied, “No, you do that,” and then handed her a business card, and a blank affidavit.

Yesterday, Kasmier and her mother, Christine Whittum met with the Animal Control Officer at the main office in Brooksville, where they asked if the dogs were in custody. Kazmier says the Officer replied, “Oh, I returned them back to the owner.” He further explained that if he brings them back to the shelter, he will have to kill two other dogs.

But this isn’t the first traumatic experience Kazmier and her family have endured with irresponsible Pit Bull owners. Last March, Kazmier says one of her neighbors on Forest Ave allowed a Pit Bull to run free and attack her husband. Brooskville Police to tried to capture the animal by deploying a tazer but it had no effect and just ran back to its owner. The next day, an Animal Control Officer responded to the owner’s residence and removed the tazer barbs but the animal remained in the owner’s custody.

As animal lovers, Kazmier tells RNRF that they didn’t want to shoot the Pit Bull, even though they were well within their rights to protect themselves. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what they were eventually forced to do, after the same Pit Bull grabbed her Chihuahua last September and killed it. When she went to retrieve her dying pet, the Pit Bull charged at her, leaving her husband with no choice but to shoot and kill the animal.

Worried that one day her young children might fall victim to a vicious Pit Bull mauling, Kazmier demanded answers from HCSO, but so far, she says her concerns have gone unanswered.

County Commissioner Steve Champion caught wind of the incident and responded to Kazmier’s post by stating, “There are current laws on the books to help protect citizens and property. You have the right to defend your life and property. A couple of years ago I killed 3 that were killing my goats. Please contact Sheriff Al Nienhuis since this is his responsibility to enforce the law. I’m sure he will handle this.”

Many Hernando County residents are fed up with the attacks and are asking local officials to enact ordinances that restrict or ban Pit Bulls altogether. Miami-Dade County has already banned Pit Bulls and anyone caught in possession faces a $500.00 fine.  Other Florida jurisdictions have also implemented regulations.

I asked HCSO Spokesperson Denise Moloney about the incident and what policies might be in place for victims of dog attacks. Moloney replied, “This case is (still active) being investigated by our Agricultural Deputy, therefore, we are unable to release details at this time. There is no HCSO “policy” to refer to when vicious dogs injure or kill people.  These incidents are handled on a case-by-case basis, governed by Hernando County Ordinance (which you can find at Hernando County municode) and/or by FSS (the Hernando County Department of Health can advise which one(s) apply).”

RNRF just received word that Animal Control Officers have seized all three Pit Bulls responsible for mauling Kazmier’s Pony.

Kazmier says her Pony has made it through one night and is hopeful that it will continue to recover from the attack.

Comments
  • Sorry about your loss. A pit bull owner whose dogs kills another dog should be charged with felony dog fighting and their dogs seized and put down immediately.

You’re not alone. Pit bull type-dogs kill 30,000 animals a year! Pit bulls are selectively bred to recognize other dogs as prey to fight in a pit to the death. You never know when it will be triggered. This is not a safe breed trait to have in a family pet.

Our laws need to change. These pit bull owners need to stop terrorizing the public with their dogs. These pit bull owners should be charged with assault by a deadly weapon. Anyone who allows their pit bull to attack or kill another animal is exactly the same capacity as a dog fighter. Please contact your city council.

Correct there are nice pit bulls. The problem is that you can’t tell them apart from the pit bulls that decide to kill. Would you deliberately choose a crib, car, or helmet with the highest record of fatalities and the worst safety rating? Pit-bull type dogs are responsible for 95% of severe attacks (level 4-6 dog bites) on people, pets and livestock in breed neutral zones. Please follow for one month. You will be shocked at all the people and pets that are severely maimed or killed by pit bulls.
    http://www.nationalpitbullvictimawareness.org/ BITE CHART: http://apdt.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ian-dunbar-dog-bite-scale.pdf

Pit bulls do not lock their jaw but with their ‘gameness’ trait they do not let go until their victims are dead.

Two words to prove pit bull type dogs are inherently dangerous: “BREAK STICK”.

Does this sound like a normal and safe dog breed to have live in our neighborhoods? Pit Bull Rescue Central recommends ALL pit bull owners to have a “break stick”, a wedge-shaped piece of wood used to pry open a pit bull’s jaw during an attack. “Since pit bulls have a strong fighting background, we recommend that pet owners also have a breaking stick as a precaution.” http://blog.dogsbite.org/2008/09/break-sticks-tool-used-to-pry-open-pit.html

This person demonstrates how to use a break stick on a pit-bull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfMVH4wY5Pg

Pit Bull Rescue Central, the leading authority on pit bull-type dogs, admits most pit bull-types are not safe around other people’s dogs because of their genetics. Pit Bull Rescue Central states, “Pit bulls were bred to recognize other dogs as prey”. http://www.pbrc.net/breakfight.html For that reason alone, I do not consider them safe family pets for our neighborhoods. These are powerful animals that break away from their guardians all the time and maul and kill another beloved pet or person, often in front of a child or pet owner.

According to Pit Bull Rescue Central, “It is a FACT that our pit bulls, AmStaffs and pit mixes come with a built-in fighting heritage. It doesn’t matter where we get them from, whether it be the pound, a stray we pick up, or a puppy we buy from a breeder. The majority of pit bulls will, at some point in their lives, exhibit some degree of dog-on-dog aggression. Yet, chances are that a “normal” pit bull will not share his affection with other animals. We cannot predict when or where it will happen and we can’t love, train or socialize it out of the dog. Pit bulls may not start fights, but they will finish them.” http://www.pbrc.net/misc/PBRC_dogpark.pdf

Tia Torres, who has a T.V. show on Animal Planet called “Pit Bulls & Parolees”, wrote this for Rescue Train. “It’s a mistake to think the fighting gene can be easily trained or loved out of a pit-bull.” http://www.therescuetrain.org/pit_bull_education.php

Pit Bull Federation of South Africa – PBFSA’: “Pit bulls were never designed to be 100% safe with other animals.” https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2134509080109275&id=1622413151318873

Why they think it’s appropriate to rehome pit bulls after saying that is beyond me. Owning and adopting out predators of other people’s beloved pets compromises public safety. In my opinion is immoral.

A Propensity to Attack Other Dogs Means a Dog Is Dangerous to People. Approximately one-third of Mr. Phillips’ cases started out as a dog attacking another dog, and then turned into a dog attacking a person. https://dogbitelaw.com/vicious-dogs/a-propensity-to-attack-other-dogs-means-a-dog-is-dangerous-to-people

Pit bull type-dogs kill an estimated 30,000 animals a year.

Sunday, 14 January 2018, 10:26 am
    • My Chihuahua was killed by a pit bull and Animal Control did same thing–let it go. I had reported that a Lab was breaking into my gate and leading my animals out repeatedly and the pit bull attacked them. My mailbox is on their property and he’s attacked me. Nothing done. That jerk should be fined with a felony.I have been crying for days over the loss. It was so unnecessary. They previously broke into my house when I wasn’t home and attacked my pigs. I never saw one again. One was climbing the chainlink fence. The Lab’s owner won’t keep him off my property. I blocked everything I could to keep my babies in. But if he breaks it then I can’t do anything. I had a super thick chain up too. He broke that.

Thursday, 1 March 2018, 2:24 pm
  • I am a pit bull owner not a ignorant one !!!
    My female was raised with my child and my child climbed on her back like a horse they play wrestling a he would call it she is over protective of that lil guy I do say that … But my pit bulls are well watched and made sure they are confined in their surroundings !!!
    My male was attacked at 5 months by another pit bull mixed … My male was taught to love ppl and other animals . Now do to the fact that my neighbor was careless to watch his dog knowing his dog was aggressive towards other anmials his dog somehow got out and got into my yard attacking my 5 month old puppy… NOW my pit bull can not be around other animals he is terrified !!! That is an act of a careless owner . All breeds can be dangerous!!
    Its up to the owner to make sure their animals dont get out and need to be watched … My male is watched everytime he is outside my neighbors are aware of my of my dog’s issue … But is he a bad dog because he is a pit NO !!! My neighbors pet him and their kids play with him …. If you are gonna have any animal they all need to be supervised point blank !!!!!! I’m sorry for the pony i agree its the owners fault his dogs got out (Careless ) … Don’t Ban The Breed Ban The Owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 4:24 pm
  • Please follow up on this story. I hope the people get a good attorney and sue the pants off those owners. They knew the problem existed so now pay the price.

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 10:57 am
  • My heart goes out to this little guy, we have a miniature horse he is a love. From experience I have a gun in my barn hid and I only know where it is for safety, I have had my neighbors dogs chasing my livestock, I brought this to his attention and explained the ordinance on aggressive unrestrained dogs, he did not listen, so the dogs came back to my pasture and one went home with a bullet in his butt, the owner took notice and fixed his fence. Unfortunately there are irresponsible pet owners of all breeds of dogs. The owner of these dogs should never own another dog as long as they live and by taking these dogs into Animal Services under Dangerous Dog the Judge can order the irresponsible owners to never own another dog and if they are caught with another dog then they are ordered back into court for violating the court order. These owners are ignorant in the safety and confinement of their dogs and the safety of the public and other animals. The Officer that covered the call is called an Animal Enforcement Officer with the Sheriffs Office not Animal Services. I am sure that the Sheriff ordered these dogs be taken in under Dangerous Dog after he found that the Officer did not investigate this case properly. Thank you to the Horse owner for getting in contact with the HCSO to follow up on this investigation. Now that the owners has repeatedly allowed these dogs to run loose and they have attacked other animals especially in this severe case, the owner should do the right thing and have the dogs humanly euthanized, they can no longer trust them.

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 12:11 am
    • I notice this story was on Fox News and ABC News last night . On abc the owner showed picture of cute 4 month puppy but didn’t bother to show the 2full grown pits covered in blood.just time before the puppy to grow up like the others. I hope they do not go back to owner

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 9:51 am
  • Sounds like there needs to be more neighbors willing and able to shoot the free-range pits the first time they see them. AC sounds like a joke.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:12 pm
  • Rid them all

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:03 pm
  • It still amazes me how uneducated people respond…these people seem to always put things in categories. Such as ALL PIT BULLS, ALL TRUMP OR OBAMA SUPPORTERS, ALL DEMOCRATS OR REPUBLICANS, ALL BLACKS OR WHITES, etc. It’s about the individual or the owner. Despite what you THINK IS you’re more than likely wrong. Why don’t you speak to an expert on animals instead of listening to misinformed or uneducated people ? I have had all of societies “AGGRESSIVE” breeds, pits, rotties, shepherds, dobies, huskies, etc….except the breed that have the most bite reports which is a chi…bring them up right and keep them socialized they will be fine k9 citizen.
    So those who hate why don’t you try to understand the breed? You could be next on the aggressive list if you part your hair on the wrong side. Sound stupid? That’s how you sound to me, stupid.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 1:25 pm
    • Thank you Ramona your right im trying to understand people like you that know everything. If it takes a tow chain to hold your dog might be a problem. Oh nevermind no one knows theres a leash law or tow chain in your case….

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 2:18 pm
  • How do we find out the when/where court date? I would like to be there.
    This stuff goes on too much and needs a show of people for a change in the law (thank you Tom for reporting).

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 11:09 am
    • stay home and mind your business. imagine having strangers show up at your hearing. get a hobby

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:47 pm
  • Anyone check out what’s in Animal Control?

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:41 am
  • All of you sitting here stating that Pits are so aggressive and unpredictable… guess what, EVERY dog is technically unpredictable. every single breed. I have meet meaner little rat dogs that I have pits. I am pit breed owner. We have BRED them and guess what… we couldn’t even get them to protect us if someone came in the door cause they are such babies. Instead of basing every Pit on the bad ones look at the big picture. They are just like damn people. There’s a bunch of white people who do crazy shit… are we all crazy? No. Same with every race. There are bad AND good. Dogs are the same. Yes sometimes a dog is just mean either they were born that way or they were raised to fight. But it doesn’t define the entire breed. Honestly, the only times I’ve been attacked by a dog were by little rat dogs, rotties, and Dobermans. Never a pit-bull which I’ve been around for years. Pit bulls are misjudged. everyday. if you have every spent time with a pit who was raised RIGHT and LOVED, you would see just how much a baby they are. My 80lb. pit whimpers at the little 4 lb. dog next door. Please stop judging. I do agree that what these dogs did in this article, was absolutely wrong. There is no excuse for that behavior. They could have seen the horse as a threat you never know. but its not excusable. by any means… I hope that the horse remains okay, and I do feel sad for those pups who may have be put down. Simply because you never know what happens to them to MAKE them react and behave like this.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 9:32 am
    • Also, every breed has a “pack” mentality when they’re with their kind. Yes are pits worse? maybe. But theyre no worse than rotties, or huskies, or german shepards. All of them are very serious when put with a pack. But youre not shaming them.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 9:36 am
    • It has little to do with how they are raised. Geez, do some research. So many of these attacks are from “loving pets”.

They are 6% of dogs, 80+% of fatal attacks. You pit apologists are obviously loving and caring people, but also dead wrong on this.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 12:57 pm
    • Well simmeg, let’s not shame these pits smdh, let’s shame YOU, racist person, look at all the things the crazy white people do??? Shut the hell up, blacks do crazy bad things too. Are we all crszy, no, sounds like you r not only racust, but perhaps crszy. Enjoy your pit, you deserve each othrt.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 1:07 pm
      • Aimneg, typo, u get that post above meant for u. Shame shame on u oh racist one.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 1:09 pm
      • the only
        person who brought up race is you. you are the racist. see how that worked?

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:47 pm
        • Lem you must be the Pitt bull owner. Right. Lol jacka $$

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 2:40 pm
    • And your must be the pit whisper..

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 3:02 pm
      • Good one Qunesha , pit whisperer, until it bites her face off. I hate pit [email protected] aimeeg

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 4:26 pm
  • This exemplifies why these dogs need to be euthanized after the FIRST incident, not returned to the same incompetent, delusional owners until someone is DEAD.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 8:50 am
    • I once had two pit bulls come into my pasture and tackle , maul and almost kill a very expensive beef steer .
      But by the grace of God , I was able to aim carefully , and fire off two perfectly placed shots with my 458 weatherby , instantly killing both of these savages .
      Afterwards , I undid there collars and mailed them to the owner and a return address .

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 9:28 am
      • HERO!!!!!

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 12:46 pm
      • so that you could then slaughter or breed the steer out for only your benefit, what a hero

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:49 pm
        • No dummy , I scalded up some fresh dog and grits . Wtf else , but I split half the steer with another neighbor and had meat for a year ! Saved $ and didn’t have to purchase beef at Walmart . Just curious Lem , do you eat hamburgers ?

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 9:30 am
          • Eric good one, Lemons is probably a vegan, lol, or he eats beef and didn’t know how it gets to store shelves. Excellent post!!

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 9:24 pm
            • Whoops, Lem = NOT lemons

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 9:25 pm
      • #savage!!! Unfortunately in rural areas most people don’t respect the unspoken courtesy that if your pet wanders and is seen as a threat that they get what is coming to them. Though I would be distraught if my dogs got killed for an attack, I would have to say I would have done the same if it were someone else’s.

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 3:07 am
  • Most pits that attack were family PETS, never abused or mistreated in ANY way. This is their BREED specific trait, just like retrievers were bred to retrieve and pointers to point.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 8:49 am
  • Why is the owner not behind bars just like his 3 dogs are, wouldn’t you say he was harboring criminals not just this time it sounds like.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 8:46 am
  • All I ever hear from the Pit Bull owner after a person or animals are attacked or killed is “I can’t believe they did this–they are such sweet dogs”. Anyone who lets Pit Bulls run loose should be heavily fined and if they attack of kill, heavy fine and jail. It happens all the time, over and over, all over the Country. They are dangerous.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 8:42 am
  • When I see a person with a pit,it’s like a l see a person with “I’m an idiot sign”.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 7:00 am
  • These dogs killed three of my horses last year. Im disgusted at how the officer handled the case. They were handed back full of blood to the owner? These owners have been cited previously for the dogs chasing people on our street. Im going to pull the public records today. Total failure here. My three horses were not as lucky. Killed on our property ….dogs got under our fence to kill them. OUTRAGED…….

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 6:17 am
    • I am so sorry this happened to you. Please come to the court date if you are able to. Try to get justice for your horses as well.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 8:23 am
      • stay home. don’t go to someone else’s hearing. they don’t take questions from the audience lolllll

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:50 pm
    • Mandy, I’m disgusted by the way you handled this. Why didn’t YOU shoot the dogs or have a friend do it.
      You chose to run to the government and you can see how much good that did.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 12:41 pm
      • @whoopass, not everyone can be at home the moment a sh!t bull gets on their property. People have to work to pay to keep animals such as horses. You have to shoot the dogs when they are on YOUR property, otherwise YOU go to jail.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:21 pm
  • I’m not a pit bull owner. I’m a landlord and honestly I’ve had a couple renters have pits and they were the biggest babies. I was shocked. All dogs can be aggressive in packs. Pits may be worse. Maybe only owning one at a time and raising them right. Obviously these particular dogs that attacked this horse are a problem. Hope the horse recovers. Feel bad for him.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 1:36 am
    • Yes packed dogs are always bad news. These owners are the most irresponsible people you could imagine. They used to allow their children to chase us on dirt bikes while we rode horses past their house. Fortunately my horse was not scared of dirt bikes but their are plenty that are. They always used to tethered their dogs outside, so I guess since they are not allowed to do that they let them run.
      I have helped many in this neighborhood with livestock vs. Dogs. It has been all breeds from huskies to great Pyrenees pit/bulldog mixes but mostly shepherds..it happens all the time. Owners need to correct their issues or the dogs need to be removed. These owners probably won’t give a crap and it well happen again.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 7:43 am
      • Yes! I agree!!

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:22 am
  • This situation is easily solved.

Hire a lawyer and get their goods, money and house.

Viola, no bad neighbors!

Dog attacks are number 1 for lawyers. Especially if you have assets to loose.

Get a lawyer and good luck.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 11:32 pm
    • DON’T call Morgan & Morgan unless these people have a lot of money to get. MORGAN & MORGAN only take cases when they think THEY will make a lot of money.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:13 am
  • More pit mayhem,what a surprise.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 11:16 pm
  • This is outrageous! What took Hernando County so long to act on this? Those dogs should have been seized right away and not have been given back to the irresponsible owner! I find it appalling how the owner of the pony was treated! And the animal control officer should really be reprimanded for the way he or she handled the case! And I hope the poor pony makes it!

Monday, 8 January 2018, 11:00 pm
    • This ain’t the first time, and it won’t be the last. The Sheriff’s dept. now runs and oversees the animal control unit in this county. Ya’ll just saw the post on the Sheriff’s FB page about 2 weeks back where their animal control officer on duty blew off a call for help to come remove a stray pit bull from some lady’s yard on Spring hill dr. The call was made right near 6 pm still early enough to get picked up. Their lady officer didn’t want to deal with it, so she stuck it in her ‘pending’ file for the next day. And all this was put in writing by the big dog his self the Sheriff.
      So no, they don’t take their jobs seriously. They don’t give a damn! Sheriff stated to all who complained that THEY could sign up to volunteer to work for animal control themselves to see what they have to put up with. THAT was his comment. So like I said, they don’t give a damn if it’s 10 pit bulls. Such pathetic attitudes for public servants. If they don’t like their jobs, then GET THE HELL OUT so someone more competent can do the job RIGHT. Such laziness on their part.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 5:02 am
    • animal control officer should have been FIRED

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:15 am
  • I have a 12 pound dog and I sit outside my house on nice days and she is hooked up to a spike in my front yard….so, she can only go so far and that’s it. If ANY KIND OF DOG….I don’t care what the breed is, how big, how small, makes no difference to me…..and if they dare to start to attack my dog, they will not walk off my front yard alive….and I DO MEAN IT!!! And I won’t be using a rock either!

Monday, 8 January 2018, 9:52 pm
  • I say get a gun and kill the damm pits if one comes after me I will unload my clip in it

Monday, 8 January 2018, 9:41 pm
  • Even if the local law doesn’t put forth the effort Florida state law allows for the destruction of animals that threaten harass or attack domestic animals or live stock, proceed to a state attorney and press charges and they are responsible for your vet bills look up Florida state statue 767.01-767.07

Monday, 8 January 2018, 9:40 pm
  • I have yet to meet one pit owner that seemed to be of even average intelligence.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 9:20 pm
    • Guess you haven’t really met very many people then

Monday, 8 January 2018, 11:24 pm
    • I am a pit owner and very smart! You are ignorant. I can guarantee these pits were not treated right and this is why they attacked!

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 1:16 am
      • If you were “very smart” you wouldn’t possibly make such a claim. There are many pit attacks that are well documented cases of a “loving family dog” and “we never saw this coming”.

If you own such a pit, you are playing genetic russian roulette with your loved ones.

I know that facts are tough to absorb when you have such a pre-determined false belief, but the facts are that regardless of how they are raised, they are very dangerous animals.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 9:53 am
    • and you’re the arbiter if intelligence? i would guess that they left the meeting thinking the same thing.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:51 pm
  • Who is this mystery hero? The brave neighbor who risked his life to save that poor pony. You sir are a man of honor #shoutouttoFC

Monday, 8 January 2018, 9:09 pm
    • The hero we don’t deserve, but the hero we need !

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 9:36 am
      • That’s the one outstanding thing that came from this story. The Good Samaritan neighbor whom ran to the aid of this pony. Without their heroics, this story becomes a grim one.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 1:19 pm
  • This is exhibit A why most responders in your survey yesterday checked that they dont trust any local government/leadership/law enforcement. When did good judgment and doing what is right become the exception?

Monday, 8 January 2018, 9:08 pm
    • EXACTLY!!

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 5:05 am
  • Good ol AC and pit owners, never blame the pit. Ac is an absolute joke. Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
    I’ve had tons of incidents with pits. Bad ones. I had one attack my horse while trail riding. The owner (who had the mauler off leash while leading a mini pony behind her horse), when we finally managed to get my injured and spooked horse back to camp, made a comment about my horse spooking at her mini. Yeah, the tied up mini attacked my horse ripped up his legs and hide. Park wouldn’t even fine her because she was part of their clique.
    Then I got introduced to my neighbor and her mauler quick grandly. Mauler hit my fence so hard I thought a car hit it. No barking or growling, it was just trying to rip in to get me. Neighbors and their buddies just stood and watch until they noticed I was there. Then all 5 tried to rip it off my fence, including using a screwdriver and break stick. Everytime it’d let go, it go at them, they’d run, and it’d latch back on. You can follow their progress on my fence.
    It took two weeks to get hold of AC. First freaking thing he asked was ‘what did you do to the dog?’ I had never seen the bloody thing before that day. He said the dog would never hurt a fly…but let slip they had it chained up in the house. WTH would you need to chain up a friendly dog in your house? He also told me the neighbors said it was my dogs (two pomeranians) that bent and mutilated my stainless steel, heavy duty fence. Apparently Poms can bend steal beams.
    Neighbors now have THREE pits, all aggressive and apparently they’ve chewed the house apart trying to get at each other. Owners let that slip.We constantly have incidents, and I have seen them try to attack their owners. Even heard them talk about getting bit by them. I’m hoping it gets them before an innocent.

Personally I think any AC or police officer caters to vicious dogs over people, need immediately fired. If the complaints are ignored and the dogs go on to injure someone or something, there needs to be SEVERE consequences.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 8:52 pm
    • maybe you should try whining about it some more

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:52 pm
  • I have a Beagle female that is more vicious then a friend of mine 2 pit bulls. I would get a pit or doberman any day. They are loyal, protective and attentive.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 8:51 pm
    • If you are able to make a Beagle vicious then you are a terrible owner and you shouldn’t own a dog at all, especially one that can mutilate and kill within seconds.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 2:45 am
  • A neighbors pit bull constantly attacked my animals & bit my daughter through a fence between both our yards. They never took dog in, even when she didn’t have valid rabies shots, owner didn’t get penalized or anything. When it attacked 2nd time, Hernando County deputy told me to shoot dog. The owner heard him say that, and they built an area on other side of house for their animals. But had that cop not told me to shoot them next time, I bet it still would be going on.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 8:19 pm
    • MAYBE KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR KID SO SHE DOESNT TAUNT DOGS THEOUGH A FENCE WITHIN BITING DISTANCE

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:53 pm
  • Sheriff’s office oversees animal control. What a joke!!!! I’ve pointed out dogs to numerous deputies – response was we’ll talk to them. Nothing ever said to owner – dogs STILL loose whenever and wherever. Animal control was called , they were friends of owners and spent 45 minutes doing ” old home week” ( is that you?? Oh my god whatcha been up to??? ETC.) NO WARNING ISSUED. THE PEOPLE OF HERNANDO COUNTY ARE BEING RIPPED OFF BY THE SHERIFF’S DEPT. AND ANIMAL CONTROL. COUNTY COMMISSIONERS NEED TO WAKE UP AND STAND HARD ON THESE DEPTS. IF THEY DON’T WANT TO DO THE JOBS – GET RID OF THEM ALL.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 8:17 pm
    • EXACTLY MY POINT TO TOO!
      County Commissioners NEED to reassign animal control and hire ALL NEW PEOPLE to man it. If not, it’s time to take this major ongoing issue to the governor’s office.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 5:15 am
      • Thats a great idea!! I have contacted my county commissioner via email with no reply. Contacted his boss with no reply. Contacted both their bosses via phone guess what no reply. My commissioner owns a gun shop and other businesses but yet some how has not yet learned how to use his county email. They are all a joke!!

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 11:51 am
        • Hey deal with it, you might as well whistle dixie, he won’t answer and if u do reach him, tends to be a real smart a $$ with his answers . So I wish u luck with that. 😄

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 4:32 pm
  • Lots of faux scientists here talking about dog genetics. Not going to bother trying to correct them. Non issue since this is a rural county and will never ban specific breeds.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 8:10 pm
    • You aren’t able to correct anyone using irrational feelings.
      Obviously you don’t understand science. Our You wouldn’t have made such an ignorant post.

You also haven’t read about pits. You have heard about how nice they are.

Pits are dangerous animals. There is no debate on that fact.

You are right that our commissioners probably will not do anything smart.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 9:40 pm
      • Any and many many breeds of dogs are dangerous in the wrong hands. It is the type of people that typically are attracted to this breed that are the issue!!! Extremely irresponsible!!!

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 7:56 am
        • No, It’s the many stories of “loving dogs” that “no one saw this coming” that make pits so dangerous.

That’s the issue and why they should be banned, or have special permitting handling requirements with real fines and enforcement.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:00 am
          • i don’t think anyone has positive feelings on pit bulls from people defending them. people are defending them from an act by one dog, which would make the listener first aware of the bad act, not the defense. you make no sense, and it shows in your constant plea to ban some pups that you’re afraid of.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:55 pm
      • Jimbo, you seem to be the one with the irrational fears. I knows pits and speak from the experience of owning many rescue pit/pit mixes. Pits/Bully breeds are bred for strength, stamina and pain tolerance. They are TRAINED to fight. Nature/nurture. Bully breeds are still one of the most popular dogs out there. There are literally millions of them as pets in this country. Unless those millions of dogs have mauled their owners, the pit stories that the media covers are outliers.

The question we should be asking is why do they seem to present such a problem in this county.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 1:21 pm
        • My information isn’t from fear, yours is apparently from misplaced adoration.

Pits represent 6% of dogs in America and 80+% of fatal attacks. It’s not just hernando county. It’s all across America. It’s in their DNA.

Since you hate facts and basic science, you’ll keep on thinking they are nice animals. Your mind is fixed. I guess that makes you a pseudo-scientist with pre-determined beliefs.

I’m sure many pits are indeed nice and will never attack. That doesn’t take away from the clear fact that they are dangerous and if you have these “loving” animals around, you are playing doggie russian roulette with your family and neighbors.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 1:54 pm
          • dude you are clearly afraid of them.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:56 pm
  • Animal control and code enforcement what a joke they have to law for every thing but not for dogs that attack animals on there property wake up shoot first we can talk about it later

Monday, 8 January 2018, 7:25 pm
  • My chihuahua dog Dane thing happened to me in December neighbors pit bull on Wakefield dr brooksville mauled my dog I spent $1000 st the emergency vet in Spring Hill. Animal control met me there and did absolutely nothing!!!

Monday, 8 January 2018, 7:24 pm
    • Yep!

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 5:17 am
  • The owner should be charged with reckless endangerment or something severe. That could have been a child, etc. Lemme guess another loving pit? They were probably raised right, but dna overrides your irrational love.

Our commissioners should do the right thing and ban these animals since so many of our fellow citizens can’t seem to control their animals.

Pits represent 6%of the dog population and are responsible for 80%of deaths and many more attacks. Ban them now.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 7:23 pm
  • My 4 yr. old (at time of incident) grandson was attacked by pit bull last year in the face (neighbors dog) he had numerous surgeries and infections, hospital stays etc….home owner had no insurance either….animal control did nothing….I don’t care what kind of dog it is, people should be responsible with their pets and be held accountable for th m as well.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 7:23 pm
  • pit bulls very unpredictable dogs I’d rather have a full blooded wolf as a pet

Monday, 8 January 2018, 6:56 pm
    • Ignorance is bliss, isn’t it

Monday, 8 January 2018, 11:23 pm
    • This is a ridiculous statement. Makes you look extremely silly~~~

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 6:18 am
  • When they r in a pack like that and see a smaller animal that runs vs attacks them the dogs see it as a game, so they chase, when one catches a bite after chase with nipping then it’s pretty much game on they all gang up n attack vs originally just playing. The owners need to take responsibility for these dogs getting out n obviously it’s been more than once, just shoot the dogs if you see them attacking another animal or person should be anyone’s instinct, no gun, use a shovel. This is right by my work, if they would have come after my the horses, I would protect the horses while calling animal services. That is bs that they returned them without taking them to the pound and put them in quarantine til owner came to pick them up, the lady with pony can take the owner of dogs to court for it. Punish the owners for dogs getting out, obviously they r aware of the problem. Do not ban pit bulls or put restrictions up, punish stupid people.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 6:53 pm
  • all three of those dogs would have been shot several times to make sure they were dead. whats next a child? no matter the breed, if a dog attacks any other living thing with the exception of protecting its owners it should be immediately killed. it amazes me that anyone would advocate for letting these animals live after doing something like this. kill them now and save the trouble they and their owners will cause in the future.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 6:27 pm
  • I hope the pony makes it. My goat didn’t. I recently went to my neighbor and told him if his dog threatened me in my own driveway i would kill the dog. He kept his gate closed but the dog continued to get more aggressive and they had to get rid of him. Don’t feel bad if you have to kill a dog that will harm you or your animals. People should be responsible.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 6:27 pm
  • One word “SUE!”

Monday, 8 January 2018, 6:22 pm
  • Kill vicious dogs period! the only people that need a vicious dog is the police..
    all others, protect yourself with a gun. felons are out of luck and should not have to right to own a mean dog…

Monday, 8 January 2018, 6:11 pm
  • Any animal that is raised with a family to love and protect are docile and friendly, including pit bulls, unfortunately, when you have a moron raising an animal and training them to bite, chase, fight, and not give up until the end, is where you would see these behaviors. These idiots do that with not just dogs, but with their children also. They raise bullies (dogs and kids) then they get mad at you when you react to their creatures, so not only do the dogs need to be punished, but the parents and kids also!!

Monday, 8 January 2018, 6:07 pm
    • What’s worse is the constant stupidity from apologists who don’t understand dna.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 7:26 pm
      • not worse than fraidy cats

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:57 pm
  • The irresponsible dog owners should have to pay fines or for the horses doctor bill. Ridiculous. Glad they took the dogs away, sad it took the victim pushing the department for any action to occur.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 6:04 pm
  • Are the males as likely to ‘pack’ if they are neutered? My neighbors have two unfixed males, that they have to keep seperated. Doesn’t seem like a good life for the pups.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 5:50 pm
    • Neutering pits won’t remove their genetic urge to kill other dogs. Once pits reach maturity, it is only a matter of time before they act out their breeding.

It is cruel to bring more pits into the world. They are a pack animal with the twisted urge to kill their own pack members. Sick humans created canine sociopaths.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 7:50 pm
      • “Genetic urge to kill other dogs”… You’re a new kind of stupid.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 9:48 pm
        • Really, you think a smart person thinks an instinct can be loved out of an animal? Do pointers have to be taught to point, or is it instinct? If it’s all how ya raise em why aren;t pit bulls used as herding dogs with sheep? Stupid is using an ad hominen insult when you can;t tolerate facts because of a biased emotional opinion.

Monday, 8 January 2018, 10:27 pm
          • Pit Bulls (even though it’s not an actual breed) are used from service dogs to police dogs. They live for what they are trained for. I guess since black people kill more people than any other race in the United States it must be in their DNA. Maybe we should ban them too…? Because that is what you people are saying. Same concept.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 2:06 am
            • Not at all. White people kill a lot when they are concentrated into urban areas.

Pits are very dangerous dogs, like some other breeds, but some strains are inherently worse.

Thinkin’s Haaaard.

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 9:10 am
            • You sound like a asshole.. Racists ass

Wednesday, 10 January 2018, 5:25 pm
          • do you even know how pointers work

humans have a ton of instincts that you ignore in order to be a member of society. do you see the correlation or are you as dumb as you sound?

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 10:59 pm
        • LMBAO…..

Tuesday, 9 January 2018, 5:19 am
  • If i were the neighbor i would shot the dogs dead, not shoot to scare them. Animals that maul others do not need to be returned to their owners. Animal control is not doing the taxpayers justice. The animal control officer needs to be reprimanded. We love dogs as one of our own but there is a line that must be drawn, I am against outlawing pit bulls as well

Monday, 8 January 2018, 5:48 pm