Patrol Car Struck by Pickup Truck, Boat Flips and Lands on Bystander

SPRING HILL – A Hernando County Sheriff’s Deputy escaped serious injury today, after his patrol car was struck broadside at the intersection of Commercial Way and Spring Hill Drive.

Despite heavy damage to the right side of the patrol car, the deputy walked away without a scratch and may not be transported to a local hospital for evaluation.

One witness tells RNRF that the deputy did have his emergency lights engaged, when he attempted to block the intersection to allow an ambulance to pass by. That’s when his patrol car was struck by a pickup truck that was towing a pontoon boat. As a result of the collision, the pontoon boat flipped over and landed on top of a man who was holding a sign in the median. The man was pulled from under the boat and transported to a local hospital for treatment. The extent of his injuries are unknown at this time.

There are also reported injuries from occupants who were inside the truck but they do not appear to be severe.

The Florida Highway Patrol will be investigating the cause of the crash.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ™2013 – 2017 RNRF Incorporated

Comments
  • Looking at the damage to the sheriffs car, why was the truck going thru a major intersection at a high rate of speed? Also, yes, I have seen the deputies use their lights and siren to blow intersections but, I have also witnessed many many drivers ignore the lights and siren sirens of officers ambulances and fire trucks, just saw this the other day the ambulance, light and sirens going, had to jump the curb so they could get to the patient, people would not pull over. And as for seeing a deputy blow an intersection then see him a few minutes later with nothing going on, the call may have been cancelled. None of us know the b.s. our guys and gals in blue go thru every day. Every body wants to critize but nobody is wanting to try and make things better

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 8:07 pm
  • These young inexperienced deputies are blowing through intersections I’m sure without permission.I seen it the other day,a deputy at night went through Barclay and spring hill dr. and then I seen him 3 minutes later with his lights off.The sheriff should babysit better as I got my doors blown off aka sucked off just about as he did mach 3

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 12:53 pm
    • I saw the cop throw a beer in the bushes after the wreck!! 👀

Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 12:50 pm
    • They get disregarded calls while enroute all the time. They also stop using lights/siren if they get close to a destination if it means alerting someone. Grow a pair and stop whining.

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 8:39 pm
  • someone should develop a app that will disable a cell phone if it is going over 5 mph. can be done with GPS.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 11:58 am
    • iOS 11 does that on its own it’s a feature to save live stream

Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 12:33 am
  • Just curious… why did they need a patrol car to block the intersection for the ambulance to get through? I see them fly through there all the time without a patrol car having to block. Sounds like it could’ve been prevented to me…

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 10:34 am
  • I seen the accident also. The Deputy pulled into the middle of intersection with no lights after activating his siren quick. Maybe if he would have turned his lights on as required by law and left his siren blairing for more than a second no accident would have happened. Stop blaming civilians all the time and focus on how this Sheriff’s Office operates.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 7:03 am
    • Gary, as stated on someone else’s post here, I am the Sgt with FHP who is investigating this crash. I do not have you listed on the report. It is really important I speak to you to hear what you saw. Please contact the Brooksville Florida Highway Patrol station and ask to speak to the sgt working the Hernando County Deputy’s crash. If I am not available please leave a message with a phone number so that I can return your call. It is very important I hear from all witnesses which observed this crash! Thank you.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 3:30 pm
    • Couldn’t agree more!

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 7:14 pm
  • Wasnt a panhandler, that man sits in an electric wheelchair and flips a sign for a business. Hope he is okay…

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 5:59 am
  • It’s illegal to stand along side the road way holding a sign specially the panhandlers

Monday, 4 September 2017, 10:46 pm
    • He was holding an advertisement sign for one of the businesses across the street… He gets paid to do that……

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 12:14 am
    • I personally know this person and he WAS NOT panhandling. So before you know what your talking about keep your negative comments to yourself!!!!!

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 12:47 am
    • NOT IN HERNANDO COUNTY

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 9:43 am
  • To the sign holder that was involved. I guess your “ship has come in “……

Monday, 4 September 2017, 8:40 pm
  • Hope the man is going to be ok.

Monday, 4 September 2017, 8:27 pm
  • Saw the whole accident that sheriff did not have his lights on he gave a whoop whoop that could barely be heard with your window closed Just glad that no one was seriously hurt. I praise all the strangers who came together to help the fellow man..

Monday, 4 September 2017, 7:33 pm
    • thanks for the info…

Monday, 4 September 2017, 10:42 pm
    • Kathy, if you have this info and any other witnesses to “not having his lights on” please report it to sheriff’s office. Get involved so that if the deputy needs a refresher on procedure or even a reprimand he will receive it.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 8:40 am
    • Kathy, I am the Sgt. with FHP investigating this crash. I do not have your information listed as a witness and need to get in touch with you to hear what you saw. Please contact the Brooksville FHP station and request to speak the Sgt. working the Hernando County Deputy Crash. If I am not available please leave a return phone number so I can call you back. Witnesses are very important to a crash investigation and it is important that I speak with you as you may have seen something that others did not. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 11:02 am
  • Let’s put our damn phones down when there’s a steering wheel in front of us! Pay attention folks. Prayers to everyone involved.

Monday, 4 September 2017, 7:32 pm
  • I bet she was texting like every one here in Spring Hill comiendo basura

Monday, 4 September 2017, 7:22 pm
  • Gee…out in the sun all day on a pontoon boat. Maybe just a bit too “relaxed” and “didn’t see” the patrol car with its lights flashing? (no, he was not driving into the sun)

Monday, 4 September 2017, 6:03 pm
  • It is astounding the amount of idiots behind the wheel out there anymore when you see emergency vehicles automatically slow down yesterday some jerk pulled out of Publix and made the left and was heading the wrong way on Springhill Drive and went into the grass by the flowers it’s just un believable out there these idiots should be triple fined and lose their license for 10 years

Monday, 4 September 2017, 5:58 pm
  • I went by after it happened and would guess that the police car thought he could put on his lights and blow through an intersection like I’ve seen them do before without looking for others and got broad sided 😳

Monday, 4 September 2017, 5:49 pm
    • Did you even read what actually happened before commenting? The deputy was blocking the intersection for an ambulance to get through…

Monday, 4 September 2017, 10:30 pm
  • Can’t we just please pay attention people. Praying for the injuries

Monday, 4 September 2017, 4:46 pm