Pokémon Go Has Taken Over the Streets of Hernando County

HERNANDO – You may have noticed several suspicious vehicles lurking around businesses at all hours of day and night lately; but no worries, it’s just players of a new video game competing to capture virtual creatures hiding in select locations.

Pokémon has long been a popular video game but the new Pokémon Go smartphone application has become a huge hit around the world.

Jared Ferreira was a Beta tester for the popular app that made its official debut and he says there are approximately 300 active players in Hernando County alone.

Ferreira says the free app is available to Android or iPhone users and actually has health benefits. Ferreira explains, players usually travel in groups around town and use the interactive map to locate Pokémon creatures hiding at local landmarks. Many times the creatures are positioned in large shopping plazas which forces the user to get out on foot to find them. The result, says Ferreira, exercise.

Although the app is free, Ferreira says you can purchase treasure to help increase a player’s game level. Ferreira says the app will quickly run down your cellphone battery and suggests purchasing an external charger for when you are away from plug-in power sources. He also says there is a feature available that will shut down the screen when positioned vertically.

Some say there may be safety concerns associated with playing the game that players may need to be aware of.

We spoke to Denise Moloney of the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office who provided some commons sense advice for those playing the game. Moloney says be mindful of your surroundings and do not drive and play the game. It’s no different than texting and driving, says Moloney, and it could lead to an accident or traffic citation.

Moloney says with Law Enforcement being on a heightened state of awareness it is imperative that players use caution when driving around closed businesses late at night.

jared 1 jared 2

ri 1

Comments
  • My 12 year old daughter and I play together. We don our Pikachu t-shirts, hop on our bikes and go. You don’t have to stare at the phone the whole time, it alerts you when there is a creature nearby. We’ve had some awesome talks while riding and Pokehunting together. I’m loving that she wants to hang with me for a change! And, for the record, I have both a job and a life and am not a geek, a nerd or a loser who has to attack others over the Internet to validate myself lol

Saturday, 16 July 2016, 12:27 am
  • Ah all rhe lonely people starin at thier phone All the lonely sheepole. Where do they all come from. All the lonely sheepole Where do they belong.

Friday, 15 July 2016, 5:07 pm
  • sorry a friend told me about all this bunk and i can understand playing a game but really its gone to far !!!!

Thursday, 14 July 2016, 9:31 pm
  • You people have no lifes if you ride around the county show up at the church , the sheriffs Memorial and the National Cemetery show some respect

Thursday, 14 July 2016, 9:29 pm
  • LOL finally a fun story, Cute! It’s a new generation, get use to it!
    Somehow you still have all of these haters hating! Lighten up people, life is to short then you die!

Thursday, 14 July 2016, 11:36 am
  • It’s great that the kids are getting outside and playing a game in your spare time is fine but PLEASE keep aware of your surroundings! Before you let your children out to wander the neighborhood, consider how many child molesters and sex offenders are also out there playing. Google your neighborhood, you’ll be shocked! Stay with your kids, make it a family adventure, just keep them safe.

Thursday, 14 July 2016, 10:21 am
  • @ josh… more people helping other people out with the game than ive ever seen before…hey in todays American if i can see all races come together to play a game exploring local land marks (downtown brooksville) has like 20 Pokéstops..plus more people going to the churches now more than ever..get over hating on things people like…if they spy on me oh well i have nothing to hide..ive been playing pokemon since i was a kid..now ok 29 with my own family and we head out once a day and play together and meet other familys doing the same thing…its great for the community

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 8:32 pm
  • Funny how these kids never go outside in the first place. Technology took over a long time ago. The fact that kids now have a game that forces them to go outside and walk is a step up from sitting on their asses and eating the junky crap many people believe is “edible”. There will always be an idiot in the world doing something, even one playing Pokemon, but that can’t deteriorate the fact that this game is a breakthrough whether it is liked or not. Plus the servers go down so often to the point that people really aren’t looking at their phones. From what I’ve seen and been told, people aren’t ignoring the world, they are looking around to find these Pokemon for christs sake ? There has been a reported string of robberies linked to Pokemon go in Minnesota I believe, however I don’t see that becoming a frequent problem, as the robbers were quickly caught due to the fact that they had to reveil their identity to the company running the app in order to play which I find even more hilarious.
    Be thankful that there is now something more interesting to the youth and young adults that doesn’t involve drugs, crime and who knows else what.
    I’d like to tell you all to make note that if you’re reading this then you’re already sucked up into technology. Throw your phone away if you really want to fight it, but goodluck calling 911, looking up that word you pretend to know (or clearly don’t as some people type on here) and taking your next serious faced selfie you probably have on your Facebook.
    If you play, have fun, if you don’t, life shockingly continues.
    Be a real American neighbor and tell people walking down the street that there’s a mewtu down the road and if they hurry they can catch it.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 8:27 pm
    • It’s ridiculous, a lot of servers do go down. but while that is going on, the people have their phones down and are CONVERSATING. I’m 25 years old, technology took over when the first playstation came out when I was young. The idea of having kids play outside again, whether their phone is with them or not, is incredible. If you go to any of the Poke Stops, you’ll see people interacting. About what they caught, what level they are, what they’ve found at that location. Those same people 6 months ago seen standing next to each other wouldn’t of said a word to one another.

Friday, 15 July 2016, 3:28 pm
  • Now I have to get a new phone

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 6:00 pm
  • Oh ya this is great people cutting through our yards over 80 cars in and out of church so far causing traffic where tjere is no traffic 1 told older lady 87 to f off as they cut through her yard have your fun nothing wrong but don’t tell us over here to f off while stamding in our yards.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 3:55 pm
  • the whole thing is soo stupid

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 3:12 pm
  • @sam yes someone is gonna get hurt, @ food damn how did we make through life without you. Maybe the lady wasnt chasing horse was play game seems dangerous to me and don’t need anymore suspicious cars either.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 10:06 am
  • we need more jobs here play time is over

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 9:59 am
  • I’ve heard it said this is great because it gets kids outdoors. OK, yeah, plenty of benefits from being outdoors, but do we really need a computer game (that they will be fixated on) to get kids outdoors? There is a real world out there to explore, and they won’t see it if they’re glued to their phones.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 9:54 am
  • You are also giving them the right to control not only your phone, but your camera, location and contacts and who knows what else, be sure you read the details before you download this game.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 9:22 am
  • We even have muggers using Pokemon lure modules to mug unsuspecting Go players.

We shouldn’t be surprised, then, that scammers have moved in on Pokemon GO territory with the below spam sending players to a scam site.

ARTICLE ON MALWAREBYTES.COM

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 9:16 am
  • You can always count on the RNRF regulars to find the cloud in front of every silver lining.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 11:59 pm
  • As long as people aren’t stupid about it there’s nothing wrong with it. People playing the game and driving, it’s no different than playing candy crush or texting. Plus the exercise promotion is doing amazing. I’ve seen neighbors who never come out of their houses come outside just because they’re playing the game. And for the getting a life, I work 60 hours a week, at home care for my sick sister and just got engaged, I play when I take my normal walks outside just to spice it up.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 10:54 pm
  • you can do all the walking/running you want. if youre pounding down foods high in trans fats and cholesterol, its obesity and cardiac failure in the not so distant future..health begins with proper nutrition… its like air bag check seat belt check, driving off the cliff still.. check.. its just another app to keep people glued to the cell phone and out of everything else going on in the real world.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 9:50 pm
  • i guess its better than sitting in front of a tv!

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 9:41 pm
  • Love all these people complaining about others being on their electronics…while they are typing.their criticism FROM AN ELECTRONIC. Bunch of rocket scientists up in here.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 9:24 pm
  • Aaaawwweeee yea! Doin it!

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 9:20 pm
  • Tiffany your comment is disrespectful beyond belief! I myself play, and have a full time job that I go to everyday, and bust my butt at, and everyone I know that plays also works.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 8:48 pm
  • Someone is going to get hurt or killed!

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 8:08 pm
  • Wow.. start with a job.. nice.

I’m an adult with a college degree and full-time career as a paralegal. I also have 3 children ranging from 20 years old to 1 year old, and I alao have a 4 month old grandson, and I play Pokémon GO.

So, tell me again about nerds with no job?

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 7:44 pm
  • @T.J we can clearly see your level of intelligence by the fact that you can even properly spell Tech, @Tiffiny clearly somewhere your life went wrong if you’re this salty over something people are using for weight loss and hours of enjoyment. There are 168 hours in a week, if you’re lucky you’ll be working 40 of them, what would you advise people to do for the other 128?

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 7:34 pm
  • Funny. I followed a cop to several Pokestops the other day.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 7:13 pm
    • are you stalking the police now

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 9:58 am
      • It is entirely possible he thought that I was, since we were both going to the same stops.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 4:22 pm
  • Tiffiny, you insult people because they play a game you don’t like? I have a life, a family and a career. I play Pokemon Go when I am out and bout. How does any part of this make you not have a life? Maybe you should focus on not sitting on RNRF insulting and judging people, and maybe go out and get a life, or a job.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 6:58 pm
    • Well said, And so very true. She is constantly insulting people without any
      real cause. She/he is nothing but an internet…..TROLL!!

Thursday, 14 July 2016, 10:39 am
  • Gotta catch ’em all! 😀 I love that this promotes exercise!

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 6:04 pm
  • Nerds. Get a life or start with a job. Geeks.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 5:41 pm
    • Nerds move the world get over it you non-nerd commoner.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 7:50 pm
  • If you go so fast you will not have anything pop up. So you would never see anything driving unless you fully stop. Also no one can play the game to find your kids there is no way to have them show up on the app. Other than that Sunday night I walked for over 1 mile doing this on streets by my house with 4 other friends and my dog. I cant even think how long its been since I walked that far. It will get rid of childhood obesity if it really catches on better than the Michele Obama lunch program .

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 5:28 pm
  • go to the gym… get better results… take your dog for a walk… take your kids to the park… get off the phone… have a life…

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 5:13 pm
  • Like these kids don!t look at their phone enough. Teck is screwing up this world.

Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 5:12 pm