Police Officer Among the Injured in Wrong-Way Crash

DADE CITY (PASCO) – The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating a three vehicle, wrong-way crash that injured three people, including a Temple Terrace Police Officer.

Officials say around 9:00 p.m. last night, 63-year-old Louise Valentine drove her Hyundai Sonata in the wrong direction on Clinton Ave. At the same time, two vehicles turning left onto Clinton Ave from US-301 collided with Valentine’s vehicle. The Patrol car, driven by 31-year-old William Dittman, collided nearly head-on with Valentine’s vehicle, resulting in the officer sustaining minor injuries. The Driver of the third vehicle, 20-year-old Charity Chagro also sustained minor injuries. Valentine was airlifted to Bayonet Point Hospital, where her condition is reported as serious.

Last night’s incident marks the third wrong-way crash in just two weeks involving a Law Enforcement Officer. Hillsborough County Sheriff John Robert Kotfila, Jr. died on March 13th after a crash on the Lee Roy Selman Expressway.

image1 image2 image3 image4 Interior Large copy

Comments
  • Florida must be the crash capital of the entire USA. I’ve lived in different states and have never seen the amount of accidents their as I have been reading here on a daily basses and that’s only the ones that are reported here, I’m sure that there’s other’s that are not reported.

Thursday, 24 March 2016, 2:59 pm
  • proud veteran you do realize one way parking spikes are not designed for highway speeds? No one is driving 45mph through a parking garage exit. The spikes take a slow roll to not puncture regardless of placement and they do fail often fyi. Also emergency vehicles often have to use these ramps to get to medical emergencies as many turn around areas are sometimes miles up and miles translate to minutes and minutes can translate easily into death. Theres many reasons spikes cant work and honestly wont work.

Thursday, 24 March 2016, 7:52 am
  • So here is the solution to this ongoing situation. One way spikes that go down when going in the right direction and stay up and puncture your tires if going the wrong way. These are used in many parking garages. Install these in every entrance and exit to all highways. Problem solved. If you go the wrong way your tires are flattened resulting in the vehicle being incapacitated which results in many lives being saved. Lives cost more than those spikes.

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 10:42 pm
  • Ben, what the hell did you say? Not one word you said made any sense whatsoever.

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 10:36 pm
  • B.S.

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 8:16 pm
  • Hoping everyone is ok, very unfortunate = forgot to put that during my rant on little citizen joe After all people were injured and that is what the article is about, not who knows more or thinks they are the smartest. Have a nice evening and be safe out there, what the heck, be safe on here, ?

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 7:41 pm
  • Wow, citizen joe must not be a BEARS fan, love to come on here and see just how quickly someone can start to puff up their ego by calling people names, didn’t take long, Gosh I am soo glad I don’t know you, and I betcha I know where you are from. Go to sleep little minded one. Where I come from yes they do pull people over, and it ain’t cook county. 4 posts and the know it all, name calling starts. Smdh. Get a life. Lmao at you. No I am not joshua, don’t know him, but I bet he is twice the man you are and big too. Bahahaha ?

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 7:14 pm
  • well mr locker. bc people do not pay attention. Every single day I drive, I encounter at least one incident where I have to drive defensive to avoid a car crash. People switching lanes to the opposite lane where they have to turn no turn signal and then they break with no one in front of them on a 55mph highway. Get that plenty.
    People dart out in front of you even if no one is behind you, they pull out across multiple lanes right in front of you doing about 10 percent of the speed limit. Thats one of my classic favorites. Dont forget we have all the impaired drivers, the ones on multiple medications getting that afternoon and evening cocktail and many even have limited ability to respond and or visual impairment with no corrective lenses.
    Also I really appreciate the dont pass me or get in my lane drivers. The ones you have to get over so you put your signal on and they mirror your speed. They either slow down or speed up so you cant get over unless you want to ram the side of their vehicle.
    The distracted drivers also. I had to change lanes at mariner and sr50 few days ago at the light and as I passed the car at the green light the lady was swiping a tablet maybe playing a app game and never noticed the light change. No I didnt honk, I just was ever so curious to see the person. Just some lady glued to her tablet. Oh and when I was going to the gym last night I seen a car hugging the dividing lines, take good notice and what do i see. I seen a driver taking a few selfies holding the phone horizontal distracted. I think seriously and smh..
    Driving is a huge risk. Just think of the over 50 plus.. yes just use google .. alcoholic establishments in hernando county every night that let out and those bars are generally having a decent crowd. consider 10 plus people having one too many get in their cars. so you have a minimum of 500 plus people driving dui every single night in this county alone. Easily thousands on the weekend. and people wonder why people are driving like fools. Look at every wrong way driver in the bay area over the last few years that was stopped and arrested every single one was under the influence of alcohol. Nothing to shocking.

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 6:36 pm
  • how can you go the wrong way,and to hit a police officer,damm

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 4:56 pm
  • Joshua, really ? They don’t pull people over? You are an idiot, they constantly have people pulled over. The revenue does not go to their agency but to the state. Doesn’t help budgets what so ever. Go back to cook county since it’s so great. Your just a keyboard crybaby big man.

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 2:37 pm
  • Was the wrong way driver impaired, in some way?

How difficult is it to NOT drive in the wrong direction?

Far too many distracted, impaired and otherwise unfit and or irresponsible drivers on the road.

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 2:33 pm
  • cash don’t look good there all them vehicles involved its about that money gotta make that money 411 pain they get right on it

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 1:24 pm
  • This place has more wrecks than Cook County amd there is 5 million people oh sorry they pull you over up there nevermind keep speading passing in the grass across the white line I did not know you could pass over white line on right hand side through peoples aproach behind the mail boxes. Yall worried about budgets and wont pull a damn sole over for nothin that gives you revenue and slows people.smh Hope everyone going the right way is ok well everyone.

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 12:42 pm