Precautionary Search Prompts Evacuation of Explorer K-8

SPRING HILL – On the heels of yesterday’s Sheriff’s Office investigation into an Explorer K-8 student’s disturbing dream, Deputies returned to Explorer K-8 today to conduct a “precautionary” sweep of the school.

After several tips, RNRF responded to the school around 2:30 p.m., where we observed students and staff standing along the roadway. We spoke to a staff member at the school, who said “A search is underway as part of a drill.” I asked if it was a drill or a precautionary measure in connection with yesterday’s incident – he said, “Yes, it is connected to incident.” The staff member further advised that parents should be receiving another automated call today, informing them of evacuation and subsequent search.

We have yet to receive a response from school officials regarding today’s search.

UPDATE: 2/23/2016, 5:14 p.m. – Last night around 9:30 p.m., RNRF received information that an unknown subject was seen running through the front office of the school by a night employee. The incident prompted an investigation by Sheriff’s Deputies but the individual was not located.  There are also unconfirmed reports that another sweep of the school may be underway at this time.

ORIGINAL REPORT: Student’s Dream of Dead Classmates Leads to HCSO Investigation

exp 2 exp1

Comments
  • My Son went there in 2010 he was in Kindergarten he walked through the school through the back gate and walked home in the middle of the day. I happen to be home and lived in the duplexes then. I called the school and brought him back and the principal at that time told me that ” the school was designed to keep people out not in” I will never for get that. well looks like the design is not working anymore…..

Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 4:29 pm
  • This school has had issues for years. It is ranked well below average academically on top of strangers trespassing on campus. This school needs an overhaul in security measures as well as staffing.

Tuesday, 24 April 2018, 1:23 pm
  • Semper fi, however your not the only one that is paying attention. But then again no one reads, or really knows the reason why we are suppose to voice our thoughts and opinions here.

It’s about a 5th grader boy who had these terrible dreams and wanted to share them with his classmate. What is important is why is this boy having these types of dreams? What kind of stuff he watches on TV, or what movies is he watching? Is the boy playing with video games that relates to killing? Its obvious this kid is not being supervised on what he is doing at home. All the learning starts at home. The big question why did this boy did not confined in his parents to tell them about his bad dream, instead he told his classmate?
    My child wakes up with a bad dream she runs into my room crying and tells us what happen. That is call trust!

Now a few here take things personal, and this is about the boy with the bad dream and the facility members of Explorer K8. By the way we received a call about the threat. But if you call me explain to me what we are dealing with don’t sugar coated it or cover, because sooner or later I will find out, and it will piss me off and as a result I will lose faith in you. It’s the obligation of the school principal to promote a save environment. If it’s too much hired more people, or step down.

As a parent we need to pay more attention to who are your children friends are?

Thursday, 25 February 2016, 6:55 pm
  • Erik, I love your choice of words. Hey mommy’s & daddy’s, the only one you needed to worry about was the little MLK who had a dream. He seems to be the one you all should have been worried about. This entire thread mentions all about the neglect of the school system and the HCSO, yet no one was discussing little MLKs Dream. Your all over reacting about the wrong thing here. It was the kids dream that started all this. About that person running in the office late at night, most likely a figment of someone’s imagination. Just to stir the pot and cause ruckus.

Thursday, 25 February 2016, 5:05 pm
  • For everyone’s pleasant information, they DID learn after the drill, I mean because that what we go to school for right? They also got asked if they wanted water, if you didn’t take it, you didn’t take, that is not the staff’s problem. If were going to shut down this one school, then we might as well shut down the schools around the whole world, because we are not the only school that has had this incident occur before. If you didn’t receive a call from the school, I’m very sorry, but now you know your kids has made it home for the past few days, they should be safe now. If anyone should get mad at anything, it should be the fact that the little “dreamer”, is still attending the school today( if he/she is). Common sense should tell anyone, to get the little prick out of school. Expel the dude! And make sure you update your info, so that the staff can call you. No one is picking sides, but no one is exactly right either.

Thursday, 25 February 2016, 11:04 am
  • Thanks!

Thursday, 25 February 2016, 9:59 am
  • What?!!!!! I work in healthcare and I have 3 children in HCS’s. I am not blaming schools or HCSO. I find it funny that people will go pointing fingers at “higher up” but they are the first to call when a problem arises! I did receive a robo call due to having updated info on file! My concern in these complaints on here are basing opinions NOT off facts! When, as a parent, a problem arises, I look and find FACTS before I point fingers!! Just y opinion from here! It’s funny you judge me as a “hire up” because I am mature enough to say something true!

Thursday, 25 February 2016, 9:51 am
  • I think sickntired is the principal or higher up and knows whats really going on. Leaving so many parents clueless to the truth. To think I was thinking about sending my kid there. But then seems most all the schools here run the same. I must say Weekie Wachee High is a pretty good school. But damn the rest of them. Even the ones I deal with. I had to tell a teacher how to teach. When her response was I just do what im told and hand out the things I do. Which were handouts with answers on them already and the kids were to just copy the paper. What happen to real teaching and caring administration and classes for special needs.

Thursday, 25 February 2016, 5:19 am
  • Ok… The FIRST thing ALL parents at Explorer need to do is fill out those EMERGENCY CARDS that they got at either OPEN HOUSE or during the first week of school. There was a yellow, green and white one. I know that when the front office or the clinic needs to call home about a student and NONE of the numbers listed work it is VERY FRUSTRATING!!!! Believe it or not this probably happens about 30% of the time!!!! If you move give the school your new info IMMEDIATELY, if you get a new job give the school your new number or if you get a new cell phone number give it to the school. If your child goes to Explorer & you DID NOT RECEIVE a Big Mouth Call then they DONT have your CURRENT INFO!!!!!! DONT BE MAD AT THE SCHOOL, BE MAD AT YOURSELF!!!!!! So by the end of the week make sure the school has your current phone numbers & maybe there will be FEWER ANGRY PARENTS….. Just Sayin’

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 9:48 pm
  • Thank you for clearing that up! Please don’t get me wrong, I am not bashing your job!! I would just like people to understand that FACTS are NOT out! They forget the small print in your disclosures like”unconfirmed” in many of your stories. I go on this site daily and love it. My only hang up is the readers that start rambling off with out ALL the facts yet!

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 2:54 pm
  • Tom, how are you aware of things going on then? Do you just drive around and show up at accidents prior to police and fire getting there?

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 2:20 pm
  • Soooo…what is this about on the 22nd, at night, when someone was trespassed from the property?
    2016-04729 02/22/2016 09:21 PM TRESPASS-SCHOOL GROUNDS 02/22/2016 02/22/2016 10252 NORTHCLIFFE BLVD SPRING HILL Dist 2-Zone 4 Closed Incident

Something is going on and the public is not being properly informed. Hernando County sucks.

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 1:15 pm
  • I had so many issues with this school last year.. Something needs to change.

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 12:03 pm
  • Unfortunately, you are all basing your opinions off a scanner or what was told by someone on the “side of the street” Their is no public announcements with facts on this!! Everyone will get facts and then you have a right to complain! I would also make sure your CURRENT addresses and phone number is up to date. We are lucky that we can find out by robo calls, when I was young, we had none!

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 11:25 am
  • They did a sweep because of all the parents that are up in arms. Now they have to do their due diligence to spend our tax money to work on a dream, just to protect them selves!!

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 11:18 am
  • They were made to stand outside in that sun for an hour yesterday!! Even passing out bottles of water to MOST of them. One of my grand daughters didn’t get one even after she asked for one. They should have just sent the kids home for the rest of the day, what did they learn after going back in anyway? NOTHING because all anyone was talking about was what was going on!!!!!

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 9:59 am
  • Regardless of what happen, this news is very disturbing. As a parent my only concern is the safety of my child. In many cases news can be inaccurate, disturbing and alarming, whether true or false. However bottom-line is the school responsibility to take any threat to our children serious. The school first intention is to take precaution by having a plan of action, to protect our children. That being said, all school should be working on a plan in case of any threat level arises. Again the safety of our children is the school responsibility. The schools are covering up, afraid of news coverage and their reputation.
    As parents and tax payer, we should have peace of mind. Explorer K-8 should have having adequate security of the school grounds. It’s in the news many school worldwide are threaten with a student that is having mental issue, and these behaviors are being ignore by the parents and teachers.

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 9:56 am
  • On my way home from Publix tonight (around 6:45) , I was sitting at a red light
    by the entrance of the school when I saw approximately 10 police cars (including K-9’s)
    pulling out of the entrance onto Northcliffe. So now I am left wondering why after reading these articles about the school?

Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 5:07 am
  • FyI–If you did not receive a call you need to update your phone numbers with the school. They call the current numbers on the emergency cards.

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 10:24 pm
  • I hate when I see figures in the shadows at night… One time we responded to a signal 13p described to com center as a large male no shirt hairy chest and it ended up being a raccoon inside a closet. People sometimes see what they think bc perception is reality but any how this story is like a puzzle box with random pieces from 5 different puzzles..

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 9:30 pm
  • Mary you are a bozo…just plain foolish. Keep your little astronauts home forever, put them in a hermetically sealed room and feed them organic hummus…

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 9:29 pm
  • Why does everyone assume they did nothing? Someone thought they saw something… It’s possible that an inspection was done that night that has not been reported or maybe they figured out what it was they saw and that’s why it didn’t go any further. It’s also possible the drill happened to coincide with what they felt may be a real issue. I can assure you your school employees aren’t sitting around discussing how they can tick off parents and put kids in danger or themselves for that matter! Don’t jump to the worst conclusion. Keeping the kids safe is everyone’s first priority!

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 8:38 pm
  • This story makes no sense to me. Seems like something isn’t be told.

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 8:20 pm
  • I never got a phone call and I have 2 kids that attend this school!! This makes me so upset, I am pulling my kids out of school for the rest of the wek!!!

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 7:57 pm
  • So they say a night employee spotted someone running by the front office at 9:30 last night but didn’t do a sweep of the school till this afternoon… Hmmmm, why did they wait so long what if someone was in the school???…. And let me add that the principal was not even at school today according to my children… If I would have known this my kids would have not send them today either!!!!

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 6:52 pm
  • School should be shut down

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 6:36 pm
  • My question is , if there was an unknown person in the school last night , then why did they sweep the school and do a drill at 230 this afternoon? The kids could have walked into an unknown danger this morning. I called the school at 8 am about the incident yesterday and was told everything was fine. Your are seriously slacking Explorer. …..

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 6:11 pm
  • All you parents are ridiculous. The situation was dealt with and taken care of. Your little superstars are fine so no need to keep them home safe and sound in your bosoms. And we wonder why our kids are entitled little brats. Listen to you people.

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 6:10 pm
  • Now a subject was running around in the school?????

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 6:03 pm
  • Better communication to protect the children are there no cameras outside the School to video every angle the location of School is set back from the road.

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 5:51 pm
  • I like a the straight story on what’s really going on

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 5:51 pm
  • This is exactly why my children DID NOT attend school today! But someone told my I was illogical for making that decision! Look what happened! I’m glad I went with my gut instinct and kept them home today!

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 5:49 pm
  • Wow i did not receive a call yesterday or my son would have been home safe with me. This is complete bs. Oh gee..thank you so much for the phone call i JUST NOW recieved about the incident. Ill feel so safe sending him back now…idiots

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 5:48 pm
  • So is it precautionary and related to yesterday’s threat? Or is it part of a drill? Because as a parent those are two very different things.

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 5:20 pm
  • I couldn’t agree with you more Susan this is outrageous and I feel that this was handled inapporpriatedly and truely do not feel safe sending my children to school

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 4:58 pm
  • Not every parent received a phone call..

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 4:46 pm
  • This is absolutely disgusting ! So once again we will be notified after the school is closed ! Yesterday’s message was that all was fine and it was safe for our children to return. today you evacuate because apparently they were not so sure ? Shame on you principle Kidder and your administration that this is how parents have to find out about what goes on durning their child’s day.

Tuesday, 23 February 2016, 4:30 pm