Prescribed Burn Brings Smoke and Ash to Spring Hill

SPRING HILL – A large prescribed burn is underway in the area of the Weeki Wachee Preserve, bringing smoke and ash across portions of Commercial Way near Spring Hill Drive.

Officials have not released the total number of acres involved in today’s burn but there are no reports of danger to surrounding communities.

An overturned vehicle closed portions of Shoal Line Blvd near the fire, which caused concerns for local citizens who thought it was due to the fire.

There are other controlled burns in surrounding counties which may bring additional smoke and ash to Hernando County.

Comments
  • Ananomouse is correct. I’m very much a nature lover but… if the undetbrush is not burned by controlled burn and a lit cigarette, lightning strike, hot match, etc. makes contact with it you WILL HAVE California wildfires here. Controlled burns also are NOT TO CLEAR LAND FOR DEVELOPMENT!! Did you know certain pine trees pine cones REQUIRE intense heat to burst open an release seeds to start new trees??? It’s a fact. I hate that the animals are forced out too but soon enough they can go back and still have food and trees, etc. California type wildfires wipe all that out and animals are left with nothing to go back to. And yes I have end stage COPD and allergies and the fires irritate me also but I know it is better for the environment and animals so I grin and bear it for a short period and know I still have a house not a burnt out collapsed pile of rubble.

Wednesday, 2 May 2018, 12:15 am
  • No you don’t. We have rain here. Remember ?

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 11:32 pm
  • It use to be nice here until they started to burn every time you turn around . I have lived here for 70 years never had a bad fire . They are bad now because they cause them . I agree to stop the so call control burns .all it dose it drive the wild life in to the roads and where people live .let the wild life live how would they like it if some one would burn there home down.

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 8:30 pm
    • Thank you for your service. I served 1971 Army.

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 9:21 pm
  • These so called control burns are a serious health risk to those with asthma and other breathing health issues. People are told, to stay inside if it is too bad however, people should not be forced into their homes because the county wants to start fires in their areas. They do this to clear areas for future development of housing and or commercial development.

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 6:26 pm
    • How soon do you think they’ll start developing state property. They burn to eliminate fuel on the ground,to help prevent wild fires.This is Florida and there’s over 17,000,000 acres of forest . Over a 1,000,000 acres of state forest. Some of us might have to suffer a little discomfort for a short time but I’ll bet we survive.

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 9:01 pm
    • You’re wrong. Control burns are done by the state division of forestry. They are not to clear land they are to get rid of fuel build up that causes uncontrolled and life threatening wildfires like you see in California. The threat to wildlife is minimal because the fire moves slow and is done in small patches at a time. It also promotes the growth of new vegitation by clearing brush and helping release seeds from seed pods. Now it’s been awhile since 5th grade science class which briefly went over prescribed burns, but I think that’s a good summary.

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 9:40 pm
  • Which is better, an uncontrolled burn that may threaten lives and property or a controlled burn that eliminates that danger?????

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 5:24 pm
    • Simple answer, you should practice common sense, read ISMC VETERANS comment.

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 9:20 pm
      • Your point is what???? Google “forest fires in Florida” and tell me we’ve not had any fires in the last 70 years. We just had some fires here in Hernando county a few months ago. I was a firefighter in my younger days and there was no fire harder to fight than grass and brush. Why not try to prevent loss of property and life by following common sense.

Wednesday, 2 May 2018, 5:27 pm
  • So sad for all the creatures that have to perish due to this stuff.

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 4:57 pm
  • Time to end control burns!!!

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 4:27 pm
    • Then you get California like wildfires. Excellent plan.

Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 4:56 pm