Remembering 9/11, Being the “United” States Again

Editorial

Growing up in the suburbs of Louisville Kentucky during the 70’s and early 80’s, allowed me the opportunity to experience diverse cultures, in a time when a foreign war was ending and the Civil Rights movement was beginning to exhale.

With all that I witnessed, one thing stood out above all; the morals and values instilled in me by my beloved grandparents.

I spent a lot of time with my grandmother, Margaret, while my mother worked a full-time job and attended the University of Louisville. Much of that time was spent asking countless, probably annoying, questions about the “good old days.”

I loved hearing stories about 30’s and 40’s, especially World War II… Not that unusual for a 10 to 12-year-old boy, but for my grandmother, discussions of “the war” meant it was time for a lecture in patriotism.

Tears always welled up in my grandmother’s eyes anytime she talked about her love for our country, especially when we discussed the attack on Pearl Harbor. That was a painful memory for her, even though she was thousands of miles from the Pacific island and didn’t personally know anyone that died that day.

At the end of every “lesson” she would always say to me “Tommy, Never Forget Pearl Harbor… Always remember the men and women who died that day and God Bless America.”

Today is the heartbreaking anniversary of September 11, 2001, a day that compares so closely to those of December 7th 1941.

In the weeks following the heinous act of war, enacted by a group of extreme Islamic terrorists, Americans pulled together arm in arm, and began to rebuild the devastation perpetrated by an evil agenda of intolerance.

Among those who perished that day, America lost 463 first responders; Men and women who were dedicated to saving lives, even when faced with the possibly of losing their own.

14-years later, heartless, cold blooded murders, no less cowardly than those who attacked us on 9/11 are executing police officers in the street.

What happened to the unified belief in this country, post 9/11, that “All Lives Matter?” Can we get back to being a “United” States?

Today, while we remember 9/11 for the horrific tragedy and loss of life, we should also remember the bond that was built between Americans in the days following those horrific events.

Americans are resilient and we will always persevere no matter what enemies we encounter, foreign or domestic.

God Bless America.

asdfasdfasdfasdfas

Comments
  • Thank you for this wonderful article,I was hoping something would be posted.We will never forget and are forever changed by it.I too come from a military family,from my husband,father ww2,grandfather ww1 I have nephews now who are also fighting the current wars. God bless all who have fought and are still fighting to keep us safe THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU SERVICE,, GOD BLESS THE U.S.A!!!!

Friday, 11 September 2015, 12:58 pm
  • Well said, Tom Lemons. 🙂
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

AMEN

Friday, 11 September 2015, 12:51 pm
  • Wonderful editorial…I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s+ in upstate New York. My father is a WWII veteran, who is still living here in Spring Hill. He is one of the most patriotic people I know, and has given our entire family the gift of a profound love for our country. It sickens me to see the breakdown and the strife our country is now enduring, however, for those of us who understand, there is still hope.

Friday, 11 September 2015, 12:01 pm
  • Thank you for a well written editorial. Your story sounds so much like those my husband has told me about his childhood and his grandmother, and he too is from Sonora then later Louisville. Let us never forget there is a cost to freedom and be thankful for those who have gone before us fighting to keep us free. May this election give our country a strong leader so that we can take back our country with law and order, respect for mankind, and a strong military to protect us. This president has failed us in so many ways. Always remember 9/11/01 and let’s turn our country back around to what our forefathers meant it to be. In God We Trust.

Friday, 11 September 2015, 11:58 am
    • Like the others my father and grandparents told similar stories of patriotism and valor, I even cry to this day at our national anthem, as it reminds me of all the soldiers who died on those ships in the Chesapeake.

You should remember that “this President” has rescued us from the Bush economic disaster.

The Bush disaster who also made our country much more vulnerable by crashing international and national unity after 9/11.

You should also know that most of our founders were “Deists” who knew that separation of church and state was best. That “in god we turst” replaced E. Pluribus Unum by Eisenhower in the 1950’s.

I certainly don’t agree with all of Obama’s actions, but I’m smart enough to recognize we dodged a bullet by not electing any of the GOP candidates the last few times around.

Trickle down economics sounds good in theory, but has never worked.

Friday, 11 September 2015, 1:21 pm
      • Thank you! You spared me some typing! 🙂

Monday, 14 September 2015, 7:12 am
  • “What happened to the unified belief in this country, post 9/11, that “All Lives Matter?”” Huh? After 9/11 we were unified, but not around “All Lives Matter”. We were unified in our desire for justice and revenge on Islamic terrorists. Many radicals here still believe that all Muslims are terrorists and that their lives do not matter.

However, it would have been nice if that were the case. Might have saved a lot of live post 9/11.

Friday, 11 September 2015, 11:51 am
  • Right on Tom. I miss the good old days.

Friday, 11 September 2015, 11:48 am