Residents Say Garbage is Piling Up and They’re Tired of Republic’s Excuses

WEEKI WACHEE – Residents who live in the area of Marvelwood Road say something stinks in their neighborhood and it’s not just the garbage – it’s the garbage service.

Reanna Tackett and her husband live at 11474 Marvelwood Road and they say Republic Services hasn’t picked up their garbage since last Tuesday the 24th. Pick-ups are supposed to run twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays, but after numerous complaints, the garbage just keeps piling up.

Erica Lagenfeld lives nearby on Pamela Circle and like Reanna, she’s tired of the stench, the buzzards, and constantly cleaning up after animals that scavenge during the night.

Not only is the heaping garbage unsightly, it’s creating a hazardous environment for their children and pets, says Erica.

RNRF spoke to “Fred” a supervisor for Republic, but when we advised who we were and what we were inquiring about, he said “Let me pull over and I’ll call you back.” We never heard back from “Fred.”

Just before 5:00 pm, we received a call from Reanna, who said a Republic garbage truck just picked up her garbage – but only her garbage – leaving everyone else’s behind.

Erica says, after hearing the news that her garbage was once again passed over, she called Republic Services Director “Larry” who said he would make sure the garbage was picked tomorrow – on the regularly scheduled pick up day. When Erica said “that’s not good enough” Larry said “I’ll see what I can do.”

Republic Services began providing the county’s garbage service exclusively in 2012, and complaints like the ones we received today have not been all that uncommon. Adding insult to injury, Republic recently notified residents of an impending rate increase.

RNRF will continue to follow this story and provide updates as it develops.

11077571_10206651990041170_788433329_n 11079180_10206651991681211_1939028969_n 11101768_10206651990481181_884071111_n 11106252_10206651994121272_548604632_n

Comments
  • Republic SUCKS they take your money and don’t pick up your garbage for weeks. But miss paying them they will cut you off. They need to be replace with a Co. that will provide a service

Thursday, 21 September 2017, 1:45 pm
  • Its 4/7/2015 lets see if the garbage is going to be picked up. I usually only have one can but now since Republic’s breach of contract I am up to three. These people who accept this type of employment know what their jobs will be and what type of weather they may be working in. The county commissioners hired them then if nothing is done maybe the people of Hernando County should vote the commissioners out and get ride of Republic. I wonder what it will take to get a state agency involved, i.e Swiftmud or the FWC. Maybe the county commissioners should be investigated. Something is really starting to have a stench in this county starting at the court house

Monday, 6 April 2015, 10:00 pm
  • When you call and complain Republic tells you your account has been closed. Even though they are taking your money. When you tell them then all of your neighbors accounts must be closed also, they hang up on you Call the court house the number is 352-540-6426 and make a complaint.

Monday, 6 April 2015, 9:44 am
  • You people make me sick. You pay for service ha! 25 bucks a quarter for 2 pickups a week go up north 25 bucks a month for 1 pickup a week and it damn well better be bagged or that shit is getting left behind!

Sunday, 5 April 2015, 3:06 pm
    • We are not up north and that is why it is less expensive. Has nothing to do with the matter at hand though, if you pay for trash pick up you expect your trash to be picked up.

Thursday, 3 November 2016, 4:14 pm
  • RECYCLE plenty of recyclables in the trash pics. Hernando County has a new recycling coordinator at a fine salary. When will the enforcement of recycling come? Complain about taxes, money for schools etc. People can save the county money by simple effort. I have never seen recycle bins at most neighbor homes. They use cardboard boxes for a trash bag. Pick up trash and recyclables once a week on the same day. No recycle bins out, no trash pick up for you! That may “entice” the lazy to do the right thing while saving money and our children’s earth!

Sunday, 5 April 2015, 6:03 am
  • We have nothing better to do then moan, bitch, complain I mean seriously no system is perfect go read a book

Saturday, 4 April 2015, 6:54 pm
  • Bottom line is if you are faithfully paying for their service then they need to do their job and quit being a bunch of SLACKERS!!

Saturday, 4 April 2015, 12:41 pm
  • I hope this gets read by a county commissioner because not only is there customer service unbearable but try and get someone in the telephone during business hours…..you won’t, you’ll stay in this infomous hold pattern. I have been told by a route driver that he wanted an extra 20.00 one Tuesday before pick up as a tip to do his job. I watched truck pass my house with garbage out front. I had to drive and confront them and I was told oh well we’ll have to get it next week. They refused to return. As a resent transplant to this county, I this county officials should be aware of the terrible job that this contracted company is doing.

Saturday, 4 April 2015, 12:50 am
  • I am glad that we have not experienced any issues at all. In fact, the trash collectors stop and ask if we have trash if no can is out (if we are outside). We called for large item pick up and they were here that Thursday. They do not fling our cans or our neighbors’. For the service we receive, I have no problem paying less than $7 a month. I feel badly that some folks are having issues. I hope Republic figures out where the malfunction is quickly to give these folks some relief.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 11:22 pm
  • I have no complaints on the trash service from Republic Servives considering I’ve been in the industry for 10+ yrs n know what they go through everyday. It’s not their fault considering they spent over 1 million dollar in new automated trks when they won the bid for Hernando County as my company did so as well for the Wesley Chapel area but here’s the difference. Hernando County residents refused to pay the extra fee for Republic to provide garbage cans to suit these trks so they were moved to to Tampa n they got the run down rear loading trks in return. Now factor in the break downs cuz of used equipment since they were force to cough up new trks to meet the residents refusal. Company $ wasted n trying to recoup the loss. Wesley Chapel area had no problem paying us to supply them with garbage cans to meet our automated system. Goes to show u how cheap the residents is this county are. Vicious cycle that will continue to occur n sad part is Republic had to fight to get their bill included with the home owners untility bill cuz half the county can’t seem to pay their trash bill on time.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 7:18 pm
    • I realize this is from over a year ago but what a moronic statement. What they spent on trucks and other equipment has absolutely nothing to do with it. The company bid a certain amount to pick up the trash on a given schedule. If they bought those trucks when they won the bid, knowing how much the bid was for, then that has to be one of the most moronic moves a company could make. Did they think after winning the bid they could buy those trucks and immediately pass on the cost? Sorry that is not how government bids work.

Thursday, 3 November 2016, 4:10 pm
  • Are all these people complaining the same folks from up North that paid $30 to $50 per month for once a week service?
    The same garbage service that did not pick up any yard waste (that had to be brought to the mulch site).
    The same garbage service that did not pick up re-cyclables.
    The same garbage service that would not take anything outside of the assigned bins (without a special pick-up and added cost).
    Has anyone of the comment writers ever, just once gone out and offered these hard working folks a bottle of water or glass of lemonade or said THANK YOU! I bet not!

Friday, 3 April 2015, 6:40 pm
    • YUP! They flee down here to get away from their out of control taxes and then want to turn us in too Little NY or NJ!

Saturday, 4 April 2015, 4:34 pm
  • They didn’t pick up my garbage this past Tuesday and it was out at 6AM that morning, I saw the truck at 11:30 am that morning going up the cross street from mine and that’s the last I saw them that day and I left the full pail out until 9PM that night, This is not the first time that this has happened and sometimes it happens with yard waste as well and that’s every other week. I’m not saying that the job is easy but were paying for a service and we should be getting that service,.If people can’t do the job then they shouldn’t apply for it and I tip these guys every Christmas, I will rethink that this year, In an unrelated issue I had the last time I went away for a week, I called my local newspaper to tell them to put a hold on my mail and when I returned my newspapers were all over my driveway, I should have just put a big sign out saying “Hay, Were not home so you can rob us, Unbelievable service.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 4:54 pm
  • I have had them since they took over in 2012.I live way off the main road and I had a problem a year or so ago, called their office and it was resolved the next day. have no complaints since.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 2:53 pm
  • There’s no excuse they do it all over the county! We live in brooksville they skip us and our neighbors at least twice a month ….they drive right past ….saying it’s a hard job….yes it is …if they can’t do it …maybe they should hire more people!!

Friday, 3 April 2015, 2:15 pm
  • My guys have the wed and Monday schedule in my neighborhood. I live off century Dr on a side street. My guys are awesome they have never missed us they don’t make a mess they are friendly and diligent. I just wanted to say that. I know some ppl are having issues and I’m sorry about that, but the ones who do their jobs deserve a shout out too.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 1:22 pm
  • I’ve never had a problem with Republic. I did always have problems with waste management. I’m sorry that this area has a bad driver. Wish there could be more dedicated employees like the ones that do my area. They always come back if one is missed or if you bring it out as they drive up the road they come back.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 10:18 am
  • having a trash service years ago the problem is Republic put the bid in to low and are losing a ton of money at app $6.30 a month -so what i figure they are running a few trucks short every pickup day to save some monies –20 years ago I was charging $5.00 @month but fuel cost was .75 a gallon compared to todays diesel fuel at app $3.50 a gal. and labor cost were half of todays. they will have to get their act straight before the county will be shopping around to get another service in

Friday, 3 April 2015, 9:21 am
  • I’m sorry about your troubles BUT looking at the pictures I have noticed that a lot of you “garbage” is recyclable material.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 9:07 am
  • I have lived in spring hill for 11 years, and the only time I ever had any sort of issue was with WM, never had a problem with republic. These guys have actually taken far more than they “have” to, according to the contract, at least from my house on occasion. I’ve lived in 2 different areas since republic took over and don’t have an issue. That being said, I’m sorry for those of you who do have issues, I’d hate to have trash sitting for weeks at a time! And for every bad crew out there, I’ll bet there are 3 good ones.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 5:44 am
  • I used to live in Spring Hill…I now live in California. I don’t understand why they don’t pick up trash like California does. We have 3 different trash bins… one for household, one for recyclables, and one for yard waste. These trash bins are very large; 120 gals. Which easily allows for once a week pick up. You can purchase as many extra trash bins as needed for a one time fee of $25 each, if your household demands more pick up. This option is a wonderful perk for yardwaste especially. I have seen as many as 10 yardwaste bins at one household! This $25 is also refunded or applied to your bill, if you don’t need the extra trash can anymore. How this works is, there is a truck for each type of waste, that picks up each bin. No men lifting trash cans either. These trash trucks are equipped with hydraulic fork lifters, which is great, since their is no weight limits on trash bins. I have packed these bins to the max, skeptical, if they will even pick them up, due to the extreme weight load, but they always do! The company is Waste Management, which Spring Hill used to have. But, just like Republic, Waste Management also had human work force picking up the trash bins. I don’t understand why they haven’t incorporated this method over there. It’s something Republic seriously needs to consider. They would save a ton of money in the long run. Jobs would not be cut, since more drivers would be needed instead. One might reason more trucks would equal more pollution? But, that is also false, since these trucks run on natural gas. Residents would be extremely pleased with this method of service, I know I am!

Friday, 3 April 2015, 5:20 am
  • Board of County Commissioners
    20 North Main Street, Room 263
    Brooksville, FL 34601
    (352) 754-4000
    Fax (352) 754-4477

The Board of County Commissioners is the chief legislative body in the County. The Board meets the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month at 9:00 a.m., with the first Tuesday reserved for workshops as needed .The Boards Meeting Room (the John Law Ayers Room) is located on the first floor of the Hernando County Government Center at 20 North Main Street in Brooksville.

Nick Nicholson, Chairman
    Wayne Dukes,
    Diane Rowden,
    Jeff Holcomb, 2nd Vice Chairman
    James Adkins, Vice-Chairman

Friday, 3 April 2015, 4:19 am
  • Dennis Purdy you are absolutely right….. call the county commissioner….. the more calls they get of unsatisfactory service…. the bigger the headache…. judging by all the complaints i am sure this situation would be handled pretty quickly….. I personally have no complaints…. I will admit I give my guys homemade fudge or cookies every now and then…. lol….

Friday, 3 April 2015, 4:09 am
  • This is happening every other week at our place. Yet the county just gave them a 30 percent rate hike. You should have seen in the bills this week. You need to call your commissioners everytime they don’t make it on the appointed day.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 1:09 am
  • We have had missed pick up twice recently in our neighborhood too! The 1st time I called and the rude woman who takes their phone calls basically tried to say it was our fault our trash wasent picked up. After insisting that she look again into the actual problem and demanding that she not blame us. She tracked the truck to find out that the truck never even drive on my road. And just this Monday out entire neighborhood was left down yet again….I however did not call this time, but I guess lots of other people did because they showed up the next afternoon and pick up the trash!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 11:40 pm
  • You are very wrong dirtmedic, republic services is Not Waste management. 2 different companies. Waste management doesn’t service residential Hernando county any longer. Only some commercial contracts. I know this because my husband has been employed with Waste Management for several years and was able to keep his job when they lost the Hernando contract.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 10:39 pm
  • What everyone needs to think about is that waste was a lot higher in price. the trucks were older and the same problems happened there also. so for you to think that it will fix everything just let more company’s in town. That just means that the roads will be torn up and that is just more trucks in residential areas
    As for the people in hernando there is rules that u need to go by that is with the trash 6:00am it needs to be out,three items for pick up and yard waste needs to be on Wednesday.
    There is also 70000 homes is springhill and they do the best they can stop and take five min out of your day when there is no prob and talk to them they are people to. you might not know there is something you are doing or it could be a new driver bottom line are u perfect at your job if that was the case I could go to fast food and get my meal right the first time not the 2nd time.
    Something to think about is that we all pay $.50 cents a pick up. Is that a lot to pick up three cans three feet high and dump trash that u don’t want to smell I think u need to dump your cans and see if you want to do it for $.50

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 10:38 pm
  • You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Out of the hundreds of times your trash IS picked up do any of you take the time to say “Good Job or Thank You”? People are so quick to ridicule, maybe people should give a compliment once in awhile and give a little motivation to these hard workers. We sure don’t live in a perfect world.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 10:15 pm
  • David Costa, I have news for you. Waste Management IS Republic Services. They changed their name when they got the new contract. We stopped using Waste Management because they kept blocking our driveway throwing the garbage cans back. We live on a high speed road which meant it was dangerous stopping the car to get out and move the cans out of the driveway. Often we just pushed the cans with the bumper of the car. No matter how much we complained and asked that the cans be placed back beside our driveway, that behavior never changed so we dropped them. We hauled our own trash to the dump for a few years. When Republic Services came along I thought they were a new company. They are not. I signed up again anyhow hoping things were different. Guess what? They missed our road in Lake Lindsey area this last week too. I am not impressed one bit.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 9:32 pm
    • Waste Management did not become Republic, Seaside Sanitation did.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 11:45 pm
  • This might sound Petty To some But I am So pissed That They have damaged both My cans. Come on man dont take It out on Your Customers,busted wheels And Broke MY lids cracked one can, Come on man,

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 9:11 pm
  • We have had problems with them taking only part of the trash. We have 2 regular size light cans. They take off the lid and pull out a couple of bags. If there is anything loose or small, they won’t take it. They won’t pick up the can and dump the small stuff into the back of the truck. The cans are light, so there should be no problem. At one point, they refused to pick up. We called to report it, got attitude & no help because they said we had “yard waste”. It was regular household trash. Finally, I was able to stop one of them one morning and he said “Frankly Ma’am, we get tired from doing it all day and just don’t feel like it.” I don’t feel like doing my job either, but I do. It’s uncalled for. We should have the option of calling another trash service if we want.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 8:55 pm
    • Light or not, why would you put small, loose, bags in the bottom of your can? I got after my own children for this. The trash men’s job is hard enough without worrying about loose trash in a can. Is it that hard to put it in a larger bag with the other trash? I cannot comment on the yard waste incident, but as of the last bill, yard waste will be picked up every other week up to 12 bundles if you have any.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 11:40 pm
  • STOP making EXCUSES and HIRE MORE PEOPLE if that’s the reason!! Why should WE “HAVE” TO PAY for services that we ARE NOT RECEIVING “twice a week” (in my area of zip code 34608 )????? I am FED UP with PAYING for services UN-RENDERED in Hernando County, my money is hard enough to come by WITHOUT THROWING IT AWAY!!! FED UP!!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 8:52 pm
    • I am also in 34608 and they never miss a pick up, take extra items, and treat my cans with care. I am sorry you are experiencing so many problems. DO you call when you are missed and speak respectfully to the person answering the phone? A little kindness can go a long way.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 11:33 pm
  • It isn’t the company as much as the supervision. I enjoy working for them. They just need a less sensitive crew as well. A lot of guys don’t want to work the extra hours but if all trucks helped til all trash was up you would have a family. Instead most teams try to make it a competition. I got a family and a new born daughter now and I will work til midnight if I was allowed to make sure all the trash was up.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 8:41 pm
    • That is called work ethic and responsibility! May God Bless you and your family!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 10:51 pm
  • I’m sorry but I worked for waste management for 6 years here in spring hill and in those 6 years I recall one time we left a route down. I laugh when I hear these prior post of picking up 25 tons of garbage a day. Maybe the manager should change the routes to ease your pain. I had the same issue and had to call a county commissioner to get results. By the way it is the same commissioner that worked for Republic service when they were granted the contract. For the man who stayed out till 9 to get the garbage off the street I give you respect for going above and beyond to serve your customers but in the same sentence is it really safe to have people on our streets for 15 hours that are exhausted driving a 35 ton truck? Not only does it bother me that twice now I almost ran into a truck because they were zig zagging. Which means crossing the center of the street with the truck to service a customer on the opposite side of the road. Maybe it is time to either add routes or hire more help to get them done in a timely manner.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 8:36 pm
  • I live in Spring Hill and use to have Waste Management and they constantly missed my trash, glad to be rid of them. I am grateful to have Republic Services. I have never had any problems with them. When I called the office to have a bulk item picked up customer service was very nice & professional. I put out a couple extra items & they took those as well. I feel bad for the men when they have to work in 90 degree weather, pouring down rain and all the extra trash after the holidays & bad storms. These people who complain have nothing better to do than watch for the garbage truck & the mail man. These are the kind of people that always complain about everything & nothing can or will please them.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 8:21 pm
  • It most definitely is the company’s fault. Once they sign a contract to provide services, it’s their job to do it right. Our whole block was missed, called the office, left messages that were never returned. AND THEY WANT A RATE INCREASE?? They shoud get replaced instead!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 8:17 pm
    • Agree! Free market competition works! If the workers are truly mistreated shame on Republic, that might explain the employee turn over they have! Our county commissioners should be holding Republics feet to the fire!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 9:21 pm
  • Maybe if republic or its management would learn how to treat people then they would be able to keep employees. Then the guys wouldn’t be so over worked. The blaten disregard for these hard working guys is disgusting. These guys are being pushed to the limits and walked all over and it’s never enough. That is why they are always so short handed. It is well known in the trash industry in the area to stay away from republic for employment.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 8:14 pm
  • I live on golden Warbler off of Hexham and they forgot my trash pick up twice I called them they came out the next day to pick up

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 7:55 pm
  • I can tell you of days I stayed out til 9 running to other routes to get trash up after finishing mine around 2. It isn’t an easy job and I still help even if I feel I can’t lift another can. I don’t care about republics guides. If it is out I am taking it. Brush now can no longer be with trash as it will now currently be recorded if dumped with trash and possibly lead to being fired. Brush will also be picked up every week now rather than every other which is the reaso for the upcharge in service.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 7:25 pm
  • We are paying for a service we are not getting. If you call them to complain they give you an attitude because they have a monopoly in Hernando County, They did not pick up last Tuesday because the man babies are afraid of the rain. We need to break the monopoly with another refuse service

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 7:24 pm
  • And like Anon stated, most routes are clean, quick and precise. If there is a missed route or house, the call comes in and when their done with their priorities… they stay later to go help as best as they can whether it is pouring down rain, freezing, or hot as anything. It truly isn’t the companies fault.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 7:19 pm
    • I am in full agreement. I am one of the customers who has never had an issue. In fact, my service has been better than I could ever expect.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 11:24 pm
  • I am sorry but these gentlemen go through a lot of hard work. Very hard work to where some people can’t do all of it at once. This job is like an overnight job, people quit left and right. Can you run at least 10-15 miles a day lifting and throwing over 25 tons a day in 80+ degree weather?? Because if so, you get out and do it. “Fred”, Im sure was doing all he can when running a company that covers an entire county. I believe they do amazing work and yes trash is unsanitary but if you put it in proper cans with lids…or do not let you children play near garbage, you may not have such a hazardous living area. There has to be some type of compassion for these men. On top of that, if you read the guidelines of your trash contract in Hernando…they are technically only required to take 3 items and no loose trash. Buy some trash bags.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 7:10 pm
    • Im sorry thats there job an if they cannot do it wastemangement can an did a much better job,these people litteraly stinks i have gone to the counbnty many times before ,it about time the news got a hold of this i hope they print more stories,

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 11:42 pm
    • Saying the job is “hard” is a pitiful excuse for this type of ignorance and negligence. We PAY for trash service; not like it is a volunteer service. That being said, I expect to receive the services I pay for Monthly! All jobs, no matter the environment are in some form “hard.” The men and woman who apply for these jobs understand the qualifications, not like it isn’t common sense or a surprise that they’ll be doing excessive lifting and running so this is a completely invalid point you make Leigh. As far as “letting your children near garbage,” what parent really says “oh honey go play by the trash cans!” Not me or anyone I know, that’s for sure! Everything you said was completely invalid and irrelevant. This is the problem with this county; no common sense!

Friday, 3 April 2015, 11:51 am
      • Amen

Saturday, 4 April 2015, 11:32 pm
  • I am missed unless I put out 6 cans, 2 cans they ignore…. go figure

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 7:09 pm
  • It isnt the company as much as the workers on the given route. My routes are clean all week and if somebody is missed we get a call save the address and get it when the route is finished. We hate having angry customers on my route.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 7:01 pm
    • No, it is the companies fault! They should be reprimanding workers if that is truly the problem and if they don’t straighten up. then they should be FIRED!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 9:11 pm
  • They missed me an when I chased them down the driver told me that my trash wasn’t out there. When in fact it was out for two hours before they came by. They returned after I got pissed for suggesting I had lied about when I set it out. I have better things to do with my day than chasing after the trash man. UGH ! !

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 6:47 pm
  • Missed our today to had to chace them down in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 6:47 pm
  • Thank you for quickly getting our story out…I am disgusted that they came out solely to pick up my garbage and no one else’s! It goes to demonstrate their management of waste should not on be questioned, it should be reconsidered!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 6:31 pm
  • Missed Us two Out of Four times In the past two Weeks

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 6:27 pm
  • Thank you for getting our story out. It’s just sad that we are constantly told ” within 24 hours” and that 24 hours never come!!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 6:23 pm