RNRF Attempts to Abduct Child from School Bus, Driver Passes the Test – VIDEO

SPRING HILL – The most vulnerable time for a child on school days is during pick up and drop off time. It’s nearly impossible for a parent or school staff member to have eyes on a child every second of the day, which is why strict policies and procedures are so important for schools to utilize when a child is picked up from school.

Most schools already have a card system in place that only allow designated people to pick up a child. And proper identification is always required before the child is released to the parent – no exceptions.

Deltona Elementary has implemented something called a Purple Dot system for children in third grade and under. Kali Rosario contacted RNRF out of concerns for her 8-year-old daughter, Scarlet, who rides the bus to and from school every day.

In an effort to test the system, I stood at the corner of Duval Street and Natoma Street around 3:30 p.m. today and waited for Scarlet’s bus to arrive. When the doors opened, Scarlet made her way down the steps, but the driver, who’s identity we are not going to reveal, stopped Scarlet and asked who I was. When I couldn’t properly identify myself or prove that I was on his list, he refused to allow Scarlet to leave with me.

Scarlet’s mom was extremely happy at the results and said, “I was very impressed with how the bus driver knew exactly what to do in that situation. I feel that my daughter will not be released to anyone who should not pick her up. It gives me a bit of comfort knowing that if something were to happen, that my daughter will be okay and not released to a stranger.”

According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, nearly 800,000 children are reported missing each year. That’s more than 2,000 a day. The NCMEC says 203,000 children are kidnapped each year by family members.

FOLLOW THIS LINK OR CLICK BELOW TO WATCH VIDEO OF THE ATTEMPT ABDUCTION:

Comments
  • So proud of the bus driver! If that scenario was real , you would have saved her life! You are awesome! Hopefully other bus drivers and parents watched this and learned from this. Was a good test,Tom, to make others aware of possible dangers that could happen. Thank you.

Sunday, 21 January 2018, 8:32 am
  • BOBBI AND SASSY YOUR POINT WAS THE 1ST THING THAT HIT ME RIGHT OFF, TOM, NO PUN OR OFFENSE INTENDED, BUT THE WAY THE WHOLE THING PLAYED OUT IT’S LIKE YOU MADE IT EASY FOR THE DRIVER. FROM YOUR BODY LANGUAGE, KINDA PACING AND AWAY FROM DOOR OF BUS,TELLING DRIVER I DON’T THINK SO ON THE LIST THING ETC. GUESS WHAT I MEAN IS IF I DID SUCH A TEST I WOULD HAVE USING EVERY TOOL / CARD IN MY PERSONA TO ATTEMPT TO BE 100% CONVINCING AKA I’M HER GRANDDAD UNCLE ETC. ETC.HOPE I MAKE SENSE………ALSO I FELT SAME ABOUT (SUB DRIVERS) (WOULD THEY BE AS KEEN, AWARE, DILIGENT?) GOD I HO[E SO! JUST SEEMED LIKE YOU GAVE HIM HIS ANSWERS TOO QUICK MAYBE ALSO YOU LOOKED MAYBE A TAD NERVOUS ALSO AS BUS WAS PULLING UP, (BUT) I WILL SAY I WOULD BE NERVOUS IF I CONDUCTED SUCH TEST, ANYWAY AS FOR TESTING SYSTEM/PROCEDURE WELL DONE! EVERY SCHOOL IN OUR NATION I WOULD HOPE DEAR GOD HAS A STRICT,SOUND,BULLET PROOF SYSTEM IN PLACE, AS I’M A PARENT 2 BOYS AND MY YOUNG ONE 15 YRS OLD, AND I STILL DON’T WANT LET HIM OUTTA MY SIGHT! PEACE ALL!

Saturday, 20 January 2018, 10:58 am
  • All you idiots bashing Tom realize that the girls mother knew what was going on? …i was a little concerned at first…but thats why you read the whole article dipshits

Friday, 19 January 2018, 6:42 pm
  • this gave me the chills. Great test!!!

Friday, 19 January 2018, 1:46 pm
  • Well Tom, you certainly stirred up the comment pot. Good job!

Friday, 19 January 2018, 1:37 pm
  • you’re not exactly a paragon of free speech when you delete most comments that you don’t like, tom.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 12:22 pm
    • I know right? I hear it all the time. Tom blocks users and removes unflattering comments or opinions if it doesn’t fit his narrative. Translation: (He’s insecure.)

Sunday, 21 January 2018, 10:56 pm
        • I want to say yes this is a good test. But I believe if someone wanted to kidnap a child they would’ve said yeah I’m on the list I’m her uncle or they may have grabbed the girl and already been gone before the bus driver could’ve reacted. The child was off the bus and next to you which is all that is needed. A split second. I don’t want to stir the pot but IMO that child would’ve been gone if this was a real scenario. I think the child shouldn’t be allowed off the bus, I know it’s sucks for the waiting traffic etc but a couple extra mins could change an outcome from bad to good.

Tuesday, 23 January 2018, 11:56 am
  • My husband was the bus driver on this route. To answer the question posed by “sassy”, he has emergency cards which provide him immediately with the names of anyone allowed to pick up a child. However, these are only used for kindergarten, 1st and 2nd graders. In the case of Scarlet, had the reporter not identified himself, she would have been returned to the bus, the doors closed, and dispatch called for clarification. If any questions, dispatch would contact the school and or 911.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 11:56 am
  • Glad to hear that the driver was on the ball.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 11:15 am
  • Creeping peeping Tom doing what he does best.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 11:01 am
    • Guess you won’t be subscribing to his news ketter, oh well nothing lost there Peeping Tom, RNRF must have crossed paths with you in the past.lol

Friday, 19 January 2018, 12:54 pm
      • No, I merely commented on a ridiculous article in the comment section. but eh YOU must know Tom because you’re talking about Tom….Clearly you must be VERY close to Tom, because you commented here about Tom… Maybe you’re licking his shoes at this very moment, because you’re talking about Tom..So you MUST have crossed paths in the past…Yeah….That must be it. You know Him…Yeah YOU KNOW TOM!! yep…

Sunday, 21 January 2018, 10:47 pm
  • Wouldn’t someone standing there filming the interaction tip off the driver??

Friday, 19 January 2018, 10:11 am
  • Irresponsible, reckless, etc. Normally I appreciate your stories, however this was best shared privately with the school/sheriff. I understand you need to feed your family, drive ratings, but jeez, just really sad.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 9:25 am
    • JIMBO respectively disagree, the mother requested Tom to check out the system the school had put in place, Why would he need permission from the school or the sherrif, It is HER CHILD! If test made the mother of the child feel better and know her child was safe, then what is the problem? Great job bus driver and Tom.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 12:47 pm
      • Good experiment. Not for the public eye, in my opinion.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 1:43 pm
  • The mother and child was in on it, there is nothing at all wrong with making sure safeguards put in place work to protect children. Good job, Tom.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 8:57 am
    • Were the rest of the kids on the bus in on it, was the bus driver? You caused an unnecessary and unauthorized delay in those kids being brought home. If that was my kids bus I would be at the Sheriff’s office.

Sunday, 28 January 2018, 5:19 am
  • I’m sorry so many of your reader’s are idiots. Good story.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 8:53 am
    • no apostrophe needed in readers, brainbox.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 12:19 pm
  • Some people *IDIOTS* Make me Gag. Great job Tom and Driver. Mama Too <3

Friday, 19 January 2018, 8:34 am
  • And what if there is a sub driver on that route? The subs don’t know these children or their parents so they just let the kids off the bus. A child could now be in the hands of a child snatcher and POOF…..the bus driver is at fault.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 8:13 am
    • And if the sub driver doesn’t know anything, that lies on the school, not Tom.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 12:49 pm
  • @Tom if your comments were meant for me…my comments don’t have to make sense, it’s called freedom of speech, which you as a journalist should know most often than not never makes sense. Oh and I was trying to be a tad funny, guess my humor isn’t amusing – ugh!!!!

Friday, 19 January 2018, 6:49 am
  • Well Tom, had the bus driver failed your test then what? You can say it might save a child but in reality all you would accomplish is putting a family on hard times, unemployment and food stamps. How would you feel if a surprise “test’ was conducted on your job performance?

Friday, 19 January 2018, 6:48 am
  • Haters will hate! Even if tom and scarlet started walking away the driver can quickly report the situation. Additionally, no one else was there to pick her up but “tom” and she wasn’t afraid but the driver still asked questions. A positive story in a jacked up world of negatives and idiots.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 12:12 am
  • This is such a ridiculous this thing to do. Not only are you giving street names and bus stop times you are posting pictures of the bus number and the minor as well as her name. You have just made it easier for a child predator to now not to approach the bus but just rather wait away from the stop. In reference to the “purple dot program” that you speak of This is not part of the Hernando county school bus system!!!!! And i would like to know if you had this test approved by the hernando county school district.? Thank You so VERY much for possibly putting more kids at risk.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 9:23 pm
      • it totally makes sense if you have any critical thinking skills. it wasn’t that hard, you’re just trying to patronize her.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 12:21 pm
    • I love the atrocious grammar and spelling errors. A+, concerned mother. I seriously hope your kid(s) has/have received a better education than you did.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 3:26 am
  • Ok, this is a great start but I must say until the purple dot system includes the bus driver jumping out of that bus like a momma bear and tackling the stranger and then beating him purple I won’t feel comfortable. Stranger danger is real. Action first then questions.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 9:02 pm
  • Excellent job, bus driver and Tom, 😃

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 8:49 pm
  • I wonder what would have happened had he told the bus driver, YES, I’m on your list…..instead of No….would the driver had released her???

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 8:26 pm
  • As a community, this is what we should be doing more of. Ensuring measures to keep our children safe are understood and followed properly is a prime example of proactive intervention. The children need to understand as well as the adults. This type of potential tragedy is something we don’t want to talk about. It’s not pleasant. But to be aware that unpleasant things happen and have some knowledge of what to do to help yourself or another avoid or escape is valuable information.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 8:21 pm
  • Good job Tom and Driver 🚞🚞🚞

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 7:52 pm
  • Okay, let’s get real here. Although I can see your intentions are well met, your “test” is pretty silly. I’m fairly certain that any child abductor is not going to stand at the bus stop and answer questions from the bus driver. The real abductor will be hiding nearby waiting for the coast to be clear to grab the child undetected by anyone. This system, while not entirely without merit, is window dressing to make people feel secure when they really aren’t. If you want to keep your child safe, make sure a trusted friend or relative gets them off the bus until they are old enough. I will give credit to the bus driver for being alert to a stranger at the bus stop. We’ll done there. Try your “test” by standing down the street away from the bus stop and see what results you get.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 7:44 pm
      • but holding a little girls hand without knowing her and then being forced to relinquish her back…isn’t that traumatic for her?

this was poorly thought out and a joke. you should be ashamed.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 9:23 pm
        • Your stupid😂😂

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 11:03 pm
          • it’s youre, einstein.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 12:22 pm
    • Children can also be abducted by people they know but that are NOT suppose to be picking the child up.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 8:18 pm
  • I agree with all other comments! Great job “secret child-snapper” and to the bus driver. Though, when listening to the video, the driver asked “who you were” and following your response, he asked “are you on my list?” You, Tom, replied, “I don’t think so” and immediately returned Scarlet back onto the bus. However, what if ‘You’ had stated to the driver, “Yes, I’m on the list,” then what might have happened?? As disconcerting has it is, you could have ran off with her. 🙁

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 7:18 pm
  • Job well done

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 7:13 pm
  • Great job Tom, and a Job Well Done for the bus driver

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 6:35 pm
  • Great bus driver. Kudos to her/him.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 6:34 pm
  • Great story and am happy of the outcome of this test. Thanks for posting.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 6:34 pm
  • Great test! That bus driver is AWESOME!!

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 6:33 pm