Sheriff Deputy Forced to Shoot, Kill, Pit Bull During Vicious Attack

BROOKSVILLE – A Hernando County Sheriff’s Deputy was injured Sunday, after he was attacked by a Pit Bull during a traffic stop on Redington Street.

Officials say during the traffic stop the driver did not immediately yield and continued driving until he reached his residence at 16135 Redington Street. The driver, 19-year-old Dylan Bale, was found to be driving on a suspended license. Bale was arrested and placed into the back of the patrol car.

During an interview with Bale this afternoon, he claims that his female Pit Bull rushed through the gate, as his mother opened it to see what was going on. That’s’ when the dog attacked the Deputy, causing injuries to his arm. Officials say the Deputy was forced to use deadly force to protect himself from further injury.

Bale showed RNRF the exact spot where the deputy drew down on the Pit Bull and fired and unknown number of rounds into the dog. The dog died at the scene and was seized by the Sheriff’s Office as evidence.

The deceased Pit Bull was only 2-year-old. He has a second, 4-year-old, male Pit Bull.

Officials have not released the identity of the Deputy but they say he received several stitches and was released from the hospital.

Officials were unable to say whether Bale or his mother could face charges.

The investigation continues, say officials.

pit-bull

Comments
  • Dogs,whites,blacks,Mexicans shoot them ALL

Sunday, 25 September 2016, 9:29 am
  • Redington Street off of California Street or one of the slummiest areas of Brooksville know wonder people down in that area have pitbulls

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 4:01 pm
  • Right on Proud Vet, send the pits to Charlotte, only strap them to the idiots legs, that will slow em down. Who burns and injures cops protesting a totally justified shooting,? Just like this one pit attacks deputy, shot, Good job. Joshua i feel sorry for your Mother, Old people’s lives matter, AS ALL lives matter

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 8:03 pm
  • #pitlivesdontmater!!!!! And I stiff have faith in our popo force so for the deputies #popolivesmatter peace

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 4:16 pm
  • Black trash. For the use of the elite white trash has to come from aswipe north east sissies

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 3:26 pm
  • The police said we cant shoot the pits that keep my mom inside house until they bite her 2 years been going on my mother cant go outside and you popo wont do untill they attack your hypocrites shes old and just 1 pit would kill her smh at your whole ignorant ass excuses idiots….Good job protecting your self now go take care of the dogs keeping my mother trapped or are you the only you have rights dont worry it hurts worse in about a week. Peace we love our popos hurray.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 3:17 pm
    • Joshua, you have EVERY right to shoot, club, stab or use any weapon of choice against a threatening dog on YOUR property. Ask any lawyer!

Friday, 23 September 2016, 1:25 pm
  • PROUD VETERAN, where exactly did you go to “high school” and did they teach spelling at all there?

I see you’re another one who likes to call the kettle black…

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 1:19 pm
  • Rednecks and their pit bulls = enough said

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 12:49 pm
    • Misha it’s people like you who think one way. I am not and NEVER WILL BE A REDNECK AS I DO NOT COME FROM HERE, DON’T JUDGE PEOPLE TOO FAST AND GET SOME EDUCATION ABOUT PIT BULLS ON FACE BOOK and thousands of people who don’t bring up pit bulls the way one minded people think. By the way I am NOT A REDNECK, NEVER WILL BE, I AM AN EDUCATED NURSE FROM NYC.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 12:41 am
    • Really another racist

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 7:07 am
  • Besides, the officer only shot the dog because it was black.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 12:16 pm
  • Ask the lady at animal control that was attacked a few weeks ago if pit bulls are harmless. Make sure you ask her in person because she can’t answer telephone because she has lost the use of her hand.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 12:15 pm
  • You think, Mmmmm, you think? I think you think too much.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 11:48 am
  • To Jaysays, did you dun graduate hi skool? I say, send all these pit bulls to Charlotte N.C. and let them loose to those ignorant protestors who like to destroy property.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 11:41 am
    • Now THERE’s a GREAT IDEA! Someone ought to unleash a kennel full of pits on that rioting group of trouble makers in Charlotte as well. Lol…make my day!

Monday, 26 September 2016, 4:42 pm
  • But then again the dog could have just ran out to see what was going on with his owner. The cop could have easily been spooked and took combat stance putting his hand on his weapon. Sounds like to me the dog could have been defending himself at that point. My dog would never hurt a soul, but the minute he sees a gun it’s over his dumbass will try to eat the gun.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 11:23 am
    • THANKS YOUTHINK, THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN AND WHAT YOU SAY. MY SERENA WOULD NEVER HURT ANYONE BUT THAT DAY AN OFFICER KICKS ONE OF MY DOGS AND SERENA SAW THIS AND FOLLOWED, AGAIN IF SHE WOULDN’T LET GO, HOW DID THE SHERIFF USE 2 HANDS ONE BULLET STRAIGHT IN THE SKULL. I AM SICK, I SAW IT, I WAS RIGHT THERE, AND PEOPLE ARE SAYING THINGS ABOUT MY SON AND I ??? WHITE TRASH, BEER CANS????? FOLKS I WAS FORCED TO MOVE HERE BEC OF MY DIVORCE AND I HATE IT HERE BUT HAD NO CHOICE. MY SON WAS AROUND THE CORNER OF THIS PLACE AND KNEW HIS DISABLED MOM HAD TO HAVE HER CAR TO GET TO DR’S INSTEAD OF IT BEING TOWED. SECOND, WHITE TRASH DO NOT HAVE A NURSING EDUCATION!!!!
      THIS COLUMN IS SO FULL OF GOSSIP IT’S SICK!!! FYI: THERE IS NO ALCOHOL IN MY HOME FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PUT A LABEL ON PEOPLE WHO YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 12:30 am
  • The mother opened the gate … In a open area…she did not need to open it… she could see just fine… she knew what would happen … she is at fault… I too love dogs too .. but if any dog Is attacking me and I had a gun I would shoot too…and it is how you teach your dog.. and why didn’t the boy stop? What else did he have to hide? …….. Bad people have bad dogs… it dont matter if it was a police man or any citizen that was being attacked by a dog of any kind wouldn’t you want to be saved from him. anyway after the attack they would put him in a kennel for at least 10 days to see if he has rabies and then he would most likely be put down what kind of life is that it was very Humane for the officer to shoot the damn dog

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 11:21 am
  • Probably the same deputy that shot my friends pitbul. That dog would have did nothing but growl, I think the reason dogs don’t like cops is the radios or the frequency thier radios put out. I think there should be a study into it.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 11:20 am
    • I keep a tinfoil hat on my dog so he cannot hear them.

Friday, 23 September 2016, 1:20 pm
  • I really wish he would of pulled over when he was supposed to. The pup would still be alive. 🙁

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 11:12 am
  • Oh so sick of seeing people with these big powerful dogs dragging them down the street, they have no control over these animals. They think they look cool. Um nope, gain control, only then will you look cool. SMH

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 10:37 am
  • To the people who are asking why the deputy didn’t use his taser or some other means. Imagine a pit bull has your arm in his mouth…………….are you going to use the quickest means possible? Get real.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 9:42 am
  • God bless the H.C.S.O., I hope the deputy is okay. “Most things” wouldn’t escalate if people obeyed law enforcement when told to do something.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 9:29 am
  • @Nicole Hopefully you’ll get the same treatment when you have your next confrontation with Law Enforcement! Have a blessed day sweetie!

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 9:14 am
  • Deputy bitten defends self period. People here don’t train animal properly – too busy tipping beer cans in face. Put dogs on leashes, train ON LEASHES. I’ve owned & trained my dogs this way & never would they leave property.Get off butt, put down beer cans & train dogs correctly.
    PLEASE EVERYONE USE DICTIONARY TO LOOK UP THE WORDS:
    THERE
    THEIR
    THEY’RE
    Ignorance is showing & it’s killing me!!!!!

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 9:00 am
  • “Stupidest segment of society who own these dogs.” As in pitbulls or dogs who attack? That’s an ignorant statement.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 8:17 am
  • It’s always the stupidest segment of society who own these dogs.So tired of these simpletons,they are the reason so many silly laws have to be passed.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 7:56 am
  • This was a Redington St pit bull – not to be confused with a Hernando Oaks pit bull. Deployment of weapon justified.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 7:51 am
  • Who cares about your pit bulls and how sweet they are??? This story isn’t about YOU or pitbulls! The officer was attacked he responded according to his training…period. Don’t break the law and stuff like this won’t happen.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 7:22 am
  • Cop just do wat thay want thay are trigger happy weather it’s human or animal

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 7:16 am
  • mauled by a viscous dog, you kill it, period. protect our law enforcement folks from white trash as seen here

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 4:48 am
    • BETH……..YOU HAVE A HELL OF A NERVE SAYING WHITE TRASH!!!!!!!!!!! I MOVED HERE 3 MONTHS AGO FROM TAMPA AND I HATE IT HERE BEING AROUND PEOPLE LIKE YOU, LOW LIVES!!!! LOW MINDS!! VISCOUS?????? READ THE TRUTH ABOVE MY DAM STORY ABOVE AND FRIG OFF.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 12:04 am
    • Racist? ???

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 6:54 am
  • I would like to see the idiots that are commenting he should have used a taser instead get attacked and not shoot the dog if they had a gun ready and available! People are morons the deputy did what anyone would do if they had a dogs jaws around their arm!!!

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 12:21 am
  • WOW IDIOTS THE KID SHOULD HAVE STOPPED AND THE DOG OR HIS MOMMY WOULD NOT BE INVOLVED…..LOSER I HOPE THE OFFICER IS OK . IN PINELLAS OR HILLS HE WOULD BE SHOT

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 11:19 pm
  • Roger Wilcox what a stupid disrespectful thing to say

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 11:02 pm
  • Those killing dogs need to be outlawed in Hernando like they are in Dade County

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 10:10 pm
  • Pitt bulls are just like the people that we are talking about here! If there are RAISED RIGHT Then they will grow up and be Decent Animals!!!!!!!!TAKE NOTE PEOPLE

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 9:36 pm
    • ****I AM THE MOTHER OF MY 2YR OLD SERENA WHO WAS SHOT STRAIGHT IN THE HEAD, ONE BULLET. THE OFFICER CLAIMS SHE WOULDN’T LET GO? THEN HOW DID HE USE 2 HANDS AND ONE BULLET WHICH I SAW RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!! FOR ONE STRAIGHT SHOT IN HER SKULL??? DEAR GOD WHY DIDN’T HE TAZ HER?????? THAT OFFICER NEVER EVER SAID “DON’T OPEN THE GATE” OR EVEN SAY PUT THE DOGS IN THE HOUSE TO PROTECT HIMSELF??? WHEN HE SEES THE DOGS WITH ME BEHIND MY FENCE AND TELLS ME HE MUST TALK TO ME. WHY COULDN’T HE HAVE COME TO ME AT THE FENCE WHEN HE WAS STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF MY DRIVEWAY FAR AWAY. IF HE WAS AFRAID HE ************DEAR GOD!! SHOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!!!!! MY BIG DOG PUSHED ME STRAIGHT THROUGH THE FENCE AND THE OFFICER SIMPLY KICKED HIM AWAY. NOW SERENA WHO IS ONLY UP TO MY KNEE, SAW THE OFFICER KICK MY OTHER DOG SO SHE FOLLOWED.

SERENA HAS ************NEVER BIT ANYONE, WAS NEVER RAISED FOR PROTECTION, IF YOU JUST YELLED AT HER SHE WOULD RUN OR BE SO SUBMISSIVE SHE WOULD LIFT HER PAWS BECAUSE I WAS SCOLDING HER, I NEVER EVER HIT HER EITHER. SHE LOVES PEOPLE!!! I NOW HAVE FLASH BACKS AS I SAW IT ALL. THE NUMEROUS SHERIFF’S THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY AS I SIT IN THE DIRT HUGGING MY BABY…………..I WAS TOTALLY IN REAL SHOCK.

SERENA WAS A SMALL PIT ONLY UP TO MY KNEE (I’M 5’2″), THERE’S NO POSSIBLE WAY SHE COULD HAVE REACHED AROUND HIS WHOLE ARM EITHER SHE WAS TOO SMALL.
      FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE ONE MINDED, ANY DOG NOT JUST PIT BULLS, WILL BE A BITTER IF
      THE HUMAN BRINGS THE DOG UP THAT WAY. NOT ME, SERENA, MY ONLY COMPANION IS GONE BECAUSE OF THE STUPIDITY OF A FEW WORDS NOT BEING SAID BY THAT SHERIFF!!!

EVERYONE I KNOW HAS SAID SERENA IS THE SWEETEST AND GREAT DOG, A LOVER. THEY ARE SHOCKED SHE JUST COULD HAVE BEEN TAZZED ESPECIALLY BECAUSE THE SHERIFF DID GET HER OFF HIS ARM, 2 HANDS, 1 BULLET STRAIGHT IN THE HEAD.

I MISS SERENA SO………….MUCH. I AM LOST AND BROKEN WITHOUT HER. I WEAR HER COLLAR AROUND MY WRIST THAT HAS HER NAME N 2 HEARTS.

***********THANKS REBEL PRIDE………………….

BROKEN HEART FOR MY SERENA

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 11:55 pm
      • Just get another dog

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 3:46 pm
      • You are blaming the Deputy for not giving you “simple” directive? What about you? Why didn’t you simply put the dog in the house? Or how about this? Raise your child to respect the law. The whole situation could have been avoided. If Serena was as good as you say you should have stuck to dogs and not have procreated. As a pit owner myself I think it’s our job to do the responsible thing. My children even know to put the dogs up when someone new enters. We all want to think we raise the best animals but at the end of the day they are still just that animals.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 6:47 pm
    • Thank you! People need to really know what they are saying instead of running at the mouth. Own a “Pit” before you run your trap.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 6:52 am
  • Hmmmm

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 8:32 pm
  • Let the plethora of Pit Bull owners start with excuses….. Pit’s are excluded for most homeowners policies as they are considered an aggressive breed. If you own a Pit and a house chances are you have no insurance coverage should your dog injure somebody.

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 8:27 pm
  • I give up, types what it wants ALREADY lol sorry

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 8:24 pm
  • All dogs go to heaven,trigger happy hero deputys go elswhere…

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 8:24 pm
  • ALREADD OOPS.?

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 8:23 pm
  • 1. Glad the deputy wasn’t injured anymore than he was. Those dogs clamp down and rip u to shreds! 2. 19 yr old driver ALREDY, license suspended AND still drove. Uh stupid. 3. Mama should have kicked his butt when this first one happened. 4. Dead doggie, bye bye. Love dogs, the k-9 is spectacular , pit bulls, Nope. Hope the deputy heals quickly and certainly pray that dog has had his shots.

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 8:05 pm
  • Hope the Deputy is OK! Should have Shot the Mother too! Sounds like she Did it on purpose.

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 7:27 pm
    • Really people. Get real.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 6:48 am
    • That’s what I am thinking also. Even if the mother did open the door just to see what was going on the deputy had no way of knowing that. If a dog attacked me it would get the same thing. I was attacked by a mad St. Bernard when I was 7 years old and he got a rock to the side of his head he let go of my arm real fast.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 3:43 pm
  • I do hope the LEO will be OK soon. He did what was necessary to protect himself.

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 7:25 pm
  • Why not use your tazer? It works on animals too.

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 7:02 pm
    • bullet is faster and more humane

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 11:18 pm
    • Well Common scenes here if you shock something attached to you then you will be shocked too DUH!!!!

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 7:31 am
  • It sucks that his dog died. But the officer was being attacked and obviously the owners couldn’t stop it. I am an owner of multiple pitbulls. My dogs listen on command. I wish it wasn’t labeled as pitbull because any dog can and will attack over their owner. I feel bad for the dog. If she had been trained better to listen properly it wouldn’t have happened. I have a 100lb female pitbull and if I tell her to sit and stay she won’t move until given the word to move.

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 6:59 pm
    • Absolutely right. I once too had a “pit” that I taught on command. It’s the best way. I also had the law come onto my property, under different reason, unannounced, and my dog was trained to attack weapons. And he had done no wrong but when deputy seen he was a “pit” he immediately got his baton out, and the second pulled his gun. Happy to say the first one almost got it, but due to my command he listened and all was good. Mind you , they came unannounced, and yes my dog was protecting.

Thursday, 22 September 2016, 6:46 am
  • If your dog attached the police then he did the right thing

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 6:52 pm
  • I have a pitbull they are very loyal I believe if the owner would have stopped sooner this would have been a different outcome

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 6:50 pm
  • If the stupid kid would have followed the law and pulled over rather then run to mommy for help instead of maning up his dog would still be alive.

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 6:40 pm
  • He has so many other weapons but he chose to shoot that dog he has tasers , pepper spray , baton .. Really?! Shoot an innocent dog trying to protect his family . Disgusting I have a 7 month old pit & he’s the SWEETEST MOST LOVING DOG EVER so most PITBULLS are not dangerous it’s how there raised

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 6:37 pm
    • That’s right…It’s how they are raised…..and this dog was raised to attack……dumbass

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 10:18 pm
    • you are clueless. Innocent dog that is out of control. Good job deputy

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 12:11 am
    • protect the family from what? a conversation in the front yard? What’s next, protecting the family from a child riding by on a bike?

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 5:26 am
  • deputy did the right thing, nothing to see here

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 6:33 pm