Six Family Pets Die in Devastating Mobile Home Fire

BROOKSVILLE – A devastating fire ripped through a double-wide mobile home last night, killing six animals and displacing a family of five.

According to Officials, Firefighters responded to 22372 LaCrosse Street around 6:30 p.m., after witnesses called 911 to report smoke and flames coming from the residence. By the time firefighters arrived on scene, the structure was already fully engulfed. Firefighters quickly determined that all occupants were not inside the structure at the time of the fire. Unfortunately, five family pets; a 13-year-old dog, 3-month-old puppy, 2-year-old cat, a 2-year-old rabbit, and a hamster all perished in the fire. A friend’s 3-year-old dog also died.

Matthew Barriga tells RNRF that his wife and three children were not home when they received the call that their home was on fire. The Barriga’s own the property but they did not have insurance to cover fire damage.

The State Fire Marshal is investigating the cause of the fire, which at this time is unknown.

The Barriga’s stayed in a hotel last night and will be staying with family in St. Petersburg until they can establish something temporary on the property.

Barriga says “We are doing the best we can with a bad situation but together we can get through even the darkest days. My children my wife and myself are ok and that’s truly what matters in the long run.”

The following Gofundme link is available for those who would like to help the Barriga family recover and rebuild. https://www.gofundme.com/2qub2sk

barriga-4 barriga-3 barriga-2 barriga-1

Comments
  • Joshua Thomas what have you stepped up to do for the family?? To “help people” as you put it?? Annie Smith – how about you??? You speak of “ya’ll are sick” & how ” they need a lesson in humanity”. The father of this family said “kids are ok”. I UNBELIEVABLE, expressed sorrow for loss of animals & prayers for the family’s dilemma/solution.

Monday, 26 September 2016, 3:30 pm
  • Yall are sick “at least your kids are ok” who says that. Now is the time when people help people but your not human. Sorry your house burnt down

Monday, 26 September 2016, 8:19 am
    • I felt the same way when I saw that sounds to me like they need a lesson in humanity.

My heart goes out to the family I’m happy the human family is ok but to lose pets ad fur family like this is devasting. Your in my prayers.

Monday, 26 September 2016, 12:01 pm
    • I too agree. Same with immediate comments about mobile homes not safe to live in etc. Where’s the point in commenting or dwelling on irrelevant issues. If you’re going to comment on the story why not just stick with sending well wishes and such. It sounds like they are almost putting blame or condemning the family for their housing. Then to make any comments at all with regard to insurance. This is an awful tragedy PERIOD. My heart goes out to this family.

Tuesday, 27 September 2016, 11:44 pm
  • My bank won’t even finance a mobile home – new or otherwise. Being hurricane season insurers are even reluctant to write a binder if any storms are even near the area. I personally encountered that situation a few years back. Being in Florida, the lightning capitol, & hurricane prone insurance is expensive even on block homes.

Sunday, 25 September 2016, 9:06 pm
  • Exactly. And even if you can find someone to insure it, the insurance cost far more than the replacement value.

Sunday, 25 September 2016, 6:38 pm
  • Sometimes a mobile home is too old and no one will insure it. 🙁

Sunday, 25 September 2016, 6:14 pm
  • Having worked in insurance & adjusting business I can tell you a mobile home is considered a total loss after 13 seconds of fire.!!!! You read right 13 SECONDS. I have watched as a neighbors mobile went up that fast also. Spraying with water not advisable dueto electricity.

Sunday, 25 September 2016, 4:01 pm
    • For decades, I have thought of mobile homes as unfit for human, or any, habitation. They are virtual firetraps, as said in my post, above. Why they are even allowed to be is beyond understanding. Florida, especially, and all coastal states are particularly vulnerable for hurricanes. When they blow apart, they do so much damage on the entire neighborhood. Most mobile homes are not insured. There are so many vacant homes in the area due to foreclosures, repossessions, and bankruptcy, that would be so much safer than these. I think that once a mobile home is destroyed by any means, that it should not be allowed to be replaced. People should be able to live in safe housing, not something that could be totaled in 13 SECONDS! In the middle of the night, most people could not even find their shoes in 13 seconds, much less get out of that “live in wood stove”.

Monday, 26 September 2016, 7:42 pm
  • Very very sad another reason to have insurance.

Sunday, 25 September 2016, 11:10 am
  • Thankful your human family is intact. My heart is heavy for loss of animal family. God has taken their pain & suffering from them . They are now whole & playing like youngsters again waiting to meet you in the future & resume playing with their humans forever.
    I pray for your family & a quick solution to your problem.

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 11:17 pm
  • Not believeing insurance is acceptable as long as they saved their premiums in an account just for situations like this. I would hate to think that the family expects the community or government to pay for a replacement.

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 10:31 pm
  • Mobile homes are just so dangerous to live in. They are made of particle board, which is just glue and ground up wood, all covered with aluminum. Once there is a fire inside, there is really no way to access inside the home. The roof and siding being metal make it impossible to “vent” I don’t know why they are allowed to be used as homes. I am glad the family was not home, but those poor animals never had a chance…they really suffered. I just hope they “suffocated” from the smoke, before being incinerated. This is the main reason we did not want a metal roof when we had to re-roof our home. Is there a place we can drop off unused clothing that is in good shape? What are the ages of the occupants of the home (or, sizes)?

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 9:42 pm
    • My children are 14, 9, and 8. Donations can be brought to parrot middle of brooksville elementary. Men’s 3x pants size 40 girls are 7/8 and 10/12. We are very appreciative of the community everyone has been so wonderful.

Monday, 26 September 2016, 5:00 pm
  • So sad to lose your home and your home and your fur babies at the same time. At least you and your children are safe.

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 9:22 pm
  • Such a sad thing to happen.

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 8:20 pm
  • I went through that a few years ago,, and losing your animals that way is devastating.. Bless your hearts. My

Saturday, 24 September 2016, 7:53 pm