Spring Hill Man Appears on Lifetime Program After Achieving the Impossible

SPRING HILL – In the blink of an eye, Derrik Amaral lost the ability to use his arms and legs after he was paralyzed in a horrific car accident in 2013.

Derrik was just 29-years-old when he became a quadriplegic and doctors said he would never walk again. But Derrik refused to accept the grim prognosis and decided to spend every waking hour chipping away at his disability.

I first met Derrick in 2015 when he was struggling to make progress, but he was gaining ground and still refusing to give up.

Derrik contacted me again late last year with news of an incredible development – one that will inspire even the most defeated of individuals who struggle with similar disabilities. Derrik announced that he would be appearing on a new Lifetime program called This Time Next Year, with Host Cat Deeley.

The show debuted last night, with Derrik appearing in the premier presentation alongside others who conquered difficult challenges. Participants are given one year to try and meet their goals, and Derrik shocked viewers around the country with his amazing achievement, after he accomplished the impossible.

There wasn’t a dry eye in the audience or in my living room, when the doors opened and Derrick walked out on stage with only a walker to help with balance. Derrik’s mother, Dora, and father, Ernesto, escorted Derrik to meet with the host who was also struggled to hold back the tears.

I spoke to Derrik today who said he wanted to thank Anytime Fitness, Acupuncture Plus, the YMCA, and everyone else who helped him cross the finish line. He also wanted to thank his family and friends who all stood by him throughout his trying ordeal.

Derrik says, “It’s time for a new chapter in life and I want to start a foundation to help those with spinal cord injuries.” Derrik’s new website, www.derrikstrong.com tells his story of perseverance and plans to inspire paralyzed individuals.

“The impossible is possible,” says Derrik and without his faith in God he couldn’t have achieved his goals.

Facebook users can catch a preview of the show by following this link: This Time Next Year

The broadcast premier airs again tomorrow night on Lifetime at 11:10 p.m.

Comments
  • So proud of you my friend. Miss working with you at the hospital. God is all we need

Friday, 19 January 2018, 7:08 pm
  • great story

Friday, 19 January 2018, 9:00 am
  • I often saw Derrik on Mondays at Anytime when he was there, and other times as his walking became steadier and he was on the treadmills. It was definitely inspiring to see his progress. It was good to see his progress, even though I would say hi, I never spoke directly to him (didn’t want to interrupt his incredible work).

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 6:18 pm
  • Mad respect for this guy’s accomplishment. I always find it entertaining when people credit god or their faith in god when a huge medical obstacle is overcome, when in reality it’s not divine intervention. It’s quality medical care and trained physicians, nurses, assistants and the like that are the miracle workers. god has nothing to do with it, and if your belief is that it does, then why do folks try to rid themselves of the things god gives them? Boggles the mind. It was the young man’s perseverance and family and medical team that helped him walk. Best of luck to him.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 2:58 pm
  • Actual journalism would require that some details of his recovery be told. Spinal injuries don’t get better if there is damage to the spinal cord, not just trauma or bruising. All the faith and determination in the world will not grow back severed nerves. In this case the spinal cord must have been bruised, or the vertabrae exerting pressure on it that was eventually relieved. It’s fantastic that he has come back this far, but please don’t portray it as a miracle. His determination and therapy work surely helped the process along, but the recovery would have happened on its own in time.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 12:30 pm
      • Excellent reply Tom. There will always be nay sayers, I think this is an excellent article and am happy that you shared his story. Now for all the readers of RNRF = I just spoke with Tom regarding the request to get his newsletter, which could in fact help to save his business, Yes readers it would help save his business, he will get more sponsors eventually, don’t let the powers that be shut down the press. , I personally challenge every follower of RNRF to subscribe. He is a small business just trying to make an honest living, while we may not agree with everything written, lots of followers so muster up that 24.00 for a year, so that we can get news in our community, good or bad. I couldn’t decide which article to post this on, chose this one because of this man’s story, Now, right now Tom needs our support, can we do it,?YES WE CAN.! We can also let the ones that are trying to shut down the press how we feel about this, via email, phone calls, letters. I do not know Tom, am neither family or affiliated with him. To Derril, keep up the good work, I do believe in miracles.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 3:36 pm
      • Faith in God is what gives then the determination to go on with life. Maybe slot if Propld had Faith in Hod our world would be. Better place. If that’s their Faith & Belief and their determination let them be, its better than sitting in a wheel chair of laying in bed and feeling sorry for yourself. You Go Derrik Strong mr Boston Strong

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 10:10 pm
    • I’ve read his story on his site. He’s a quaderparlegic! He was paralyzed on all four limbs. Read his story. Nothing wrong with hard work and some faith. Its a miracle he’s even alive and breathing on his own. Perhaps you should speak to him, maybe you can find him.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 6:16 pm
      • <3

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 6:40 pm
    • I hope he doesn’t read your stupid comment. That kid probably has been through hell and back with that injury. I saw his pictures on his site. His neck has metal in it. That’s no brusing moron.

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 7:01 pm
    • Who are you to say it wasn’t Devine intervention? Or for him to thank God? If that man believes through God all things are possible, then that’s what helped him. I know it’s not Christian of me but I really can’t stand a person who doesn’t believe that another person’s belief and faith is wasted.
      If an individual gives the credit for their accomplishment to the Lord who are you to try and take place it somewhere else? It’s called being humble. You should try it sometime.

Friday, 19 January 2018, 1:51 am
      • Edit I can’t stand a person who doesn’t believe SO that means another person belief and faith are wasted

Friday, 19 January 2018, 1:55 am
  • It is an honor to of helped Derrik in his progress. He is a very determined motivated person. Keep up the hard work. Regards, Mike

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 10:42 am
  • Great Story! My father is 75 yrs.old. He’s been in a wheel chair since he was 27 yrs. old. He stayed positive like the man here. He was paralyzed from the neck down at first. Then just from the waist down. He’s done everything and has been the best father ever growing up. He’s my role model and has been to many others. You will be a role model to many Derrick! God’s working through you Derrick. Your an amazing person!

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 12:21 am
  • Truly Amazing story! Such an inspiration. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 10:18 pm
  • I’m so happy to see his progress. I was a witness of him at Anytime Fitness and saw his perseverance. Glad to see his progress!

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 8:34 pm
  • Best of luck to u

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 8:20 pm
  • Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 7:30 pm
  • Good News is always GREAT NEWS!

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 6:56 pm
  • God bless you ! You are a true inspiration! I hope to meet you one day at the YMCA.

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 6:07 pm
  • wow this is wonderful

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 5:23 pm
  • So proud of our son Derrik Amaral , it’s been a hard journey but with love , faith and strenght everything is possible with God..We hope his story will inspire others not to give up.

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 5:16 pm
    • Truly Agree, Derrik Strong is a great inspiration & will never give up. ❤️👍

Thursday, 18 January 2018, 2:37 am
  • Amen.

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 5:12 pm
  • CHUCK I CONCUR! MAN AND YES TOM, I’M CHOKING UP READING THIS………..PRAISE ALMIGHTY GOD IN THE NAME OF JESUS! WOW! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, THIS MAN IS SPECIAL! GOD BLESS HIM AND ALL WHO HELPED HIM ARE BLESSED! DERRIK………….DON’T EVER GIVE UP YOUR AN INSPIRATION!

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 5:06 pm
  • I seen him at the YMCA on saturday . Very inspiring to see him work out

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 4:44 pm
  • Great to hear this. Never give up and give 100% every day. A hearty thanks to all who helped him and praise God for giving him the strenght to battle his way forward.

Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 4:29 pm