St. Paddy Day Party Leads to Drunk Driving Mayhem

SPRING HILL – When you think of St. Patrick’s Day, the first thing that comes to most people’s mind is a wearing green and drinking beer. But for one Spring Hill man, a day of heavy drinking led to a bad decision that he won’t soon forget.

According to reports, a witness observed 50-year-old Randy John Baughey leaving Sunset Lounge, located at 5431 Spring Hill Drive, around 11:00 p.m. last evening. The witness claims Baughey almost struck her vehicle as he pulled out of the parking lot in his 2006 Dodge pickup. Before entering the roadway, Baughey struck a fire hydrant, causing Spring Hill Drive to flood.

Sgt. Scott Lamia caught up with Baughey on Swallow Ln. but he refused to stop and continued driving recklessly through resident’s yards.

According to our sources, the chase barely exceeded speeds of 10 mph.

Eventually, Baughey turned onto a dead-end street on Greendale Ct. where he stopped and exited the vehicle. By this time, several deputies arrived on the scene to assist Sgt. Lamia with the arrest. Baughey refused to comply, forcing Sgt. Lamia and another deputy to deploy their Tasers. Unfazed by the powerful electric shock, Baughey became increasingly violent and continued to resist arrest.

Deputies eventually subdued Baughey and placed him into custody. Fire Rescue responded and transported Baughey to Bayfront Health Spring Hill for Medical Clearance, before he was booked into the Hernando County Jail.

Baughey is charged with 2-counts of Resisting Arrest with Violence, DUI, DUI with Property Damage, Hit and Run, and Fleeing and Eluding. Baughey remains behind bars – held on $4,500 bond.

There are no reports of injury to law enforcement.

baughey kkskkseeee

Comments
  • actually I wasn’t at the bar, I happened to be leaving school that night and after he almost t boned me & hit a kid on a bike I decided to follow him making sure he would make it home safe but he was reckless driving and you could tell he had no clue where he was going, all I was trying to do was protect not only the innocent on the road around him but also himself. Anything could of happened and Celeste you could have lost your husband that night, he almost ended up in a pond till they took him down, I know you have to pay the price of his actions and hopefully he slows down on his drinking after this. I know many people have left bars drunk but just like the patron said in a comment he bartender called a cab and he refused and left, people make bad choices when drunk I understand but some grown ups need to be responsible while drinking! I’m just thankful myself as well as others are safe!

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 8:15 pm
  • Maybe you people that are making the negative comments should just remember that we all are human and make mistakes, like Jackie, Tony and you other morons that feel as though you need to be judge and jury should remember that this guy has a family and yes he made a baaaaadddd choice, but again some of you were in the bar, so tell us how you got home. I know cuz I myself have been to the Sunset and have seen a lot of idiots in there and not even drinking and made bad decisions. Remember that when you point your one finger at some one else to point out their faults, you still have 3 fingers pointing back at yourself. I happen to be his wife and yes he made a big big BIG mistake and he will pay for it for a while, but we all have made mistakes and driven drunk. Hit a nerve and make you remember. I am not saying that I am defending his virtue or morals, but again we are all humans. Unfortunately I am also going to pay the price for his mistake, Remember people do have families and don’t like to see negative things about there loved ones, but go ahead and make your comments since you don’t pay my bills or his, so judge your own life not mine. JUST SAYING

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 2:46 pm
  • Its the bartenders job to know when his patrons are stumbling drunk. This guy should have been cut off and had his keys taken away. If she tried to stop him and he became rebellious the police should have been called. As for your comment Tom, I think had he almost hit your wife or child I’m almost certain your comment would read much differently.

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 4:57 am
    • I agree

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 2:36 pm
    • He was cutoff – you can ask him for the keys which the bartender did and she called him a cab-again without all the facts theses statements shouldn’t be made-the bartender did exactly as she should have- he chose to disregard the efforts and lie to be able to get into his car and drive

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 3:42 pm
  • I was a patron in Sunset and observed the bartender cut him off and he argued with her when she asked for his keys – she called him a cab and he lied and said he was walking a female friend out and proceeded to make the choice and got in his vehicle

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 9:19 pm
  • When your drunk and disorderly the last thing you want to be told Is anything. It’s not the establishments fault that he left there were many people there that night. The bartenders job is not to baby sit but to do their job as quick and efficiently as possible. And besides cab drivers are there every night for people who cannot make it home safely, so before saying that someone should get arrested other than the culprit themselves is quite foolish.

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 9:09 pm
  • Sgt. Did a great Job gettin to the drunk driver fast enough before he kept driviNg the way he was, never seen someone swerve so much in my life almost crashing into every Car around And Could have ended many lives including mine.

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 7:32 pm
  • Glad everyone is safe…. I agree with Tubbs…. they need to go back to the sunset lounge and arrest whoever served this man and allowed him to leave on his own…. and fine the owner…. this could have ended so different…. thank you HCSO!!!!! Off the streets and no one hurt…

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 3:53 pm
  • agreed jackie glad ur ok love ya chic

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 3:30 pm
  • this guy was so intoxicated After almost Hitting me & Harming innocent People He Still wouldn’t give Up GooD thing They got him buT he shouLd Have A way bigger consequence!

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 2:32 pm
    • ok well would you like to help me pay his bills since this happened, if not shut. you were at the bar too, so dont tell me that you haven’t drank and driven

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 2:34 pm
  • ThIs guy was Into

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 2:26 pm
  • The Cops should have gone back to Sunset Lounge and arrested the bartender & fined the owner. They knew hours ago this guy was extremely intoxicated & should have cut him off . YET they kept serving him, putting your & my life in danger.

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 1:52 pm
    • You weren’t there you have no clue how much the bartender tried to stop him from leaving, she called him a cab and he lied to her and got into his car.
      So do not make statements until you have all the facts.

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 3:38 pm
  • Why do most people that drive pickup trucks seem to be Soooooooo Stupid.

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 1:29 pm
    • I’m guessing the same reasons most people who drive a bmw, lexus or mercedes feel a sense of entitlement and are Sssooo arrogant and ignorant.

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 7:11 am
      • Thanks Carmine. From this stupid guys wife

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 2:37 pm
        • you are welcome! 🙂 ps- I love my truck!

Thursday, 19 March 2015, 6:23 pm
  • great job Hernando

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 11:45 am
  • Another great job by our local Police force, this guy will end up in jail, I hope……

Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 10:45 am