Suicidal Man Shot, Killed by Sergeant and Deputy, Less Than Lethal Had No Effect

WEEKI WACHEE – Earlier this afternoon RNRF reported a possible deputy involved shooting that occurred inside home in the Enclave subdivision.

ORIGINAL REPORT: DEVELOPING: SHOOTING INSIDE WEEKI WACHEE HOME, POSSIBLE DEPUTY INVOLVED

Officials have now confirmed our prior report in the following statement:

The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office is currently on the scene of a deputy-involved-shooting at 10264 Ridge Top Loop, which is in the Enclave subdivision within Woodland Waters, Weeki Wachee.

The incident occurred shortly after 1 p.m., when according to initial reports, a healthcare professional notified 911 dispatchers of a possible suicidal person who had numerous weapons inside the residence.

A deputy who has Crisis Intervention Training and a Sergeant, who has crisis intervention training and advanced de-escalation training, encountered the individual within the home. Initial reports indicate one of the first responders attempted to use less lethal means to take the subject into custody for the protection of all.

Shortly thereafter an undetermined number of shots were fired. The individual was transported to a local trauma center where the individual was pronounced deceased.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has been notified and they will be taking over the investigation. As per standard protocol the deputy and the Sergeant have been placed on paid administrative leave.

Additional details will be provided as they become available.

Original Report:

WEEKI WACHEE – Information is still developing but according to our sources a man has sustained multiple gunshot wounds during an incident involving a Hernando County Sheriff’s Deputy.

Around 1:00 p.m. today, RNRF received information that deputies had surrounded a home inside the Enclave Subdivision. Details are still sketchy but sources say while a deputy was attempting to negotiate a peaceful surrender by a male occupant, multiple shots were fired. The victim sustained several gunshot wounds and was transported to Oakhill Hospital by ground.

There are reports that the victim did not survive the shooting but officials have not confirmed that information.

There are also unconfirmed reports that the victim is a former law enforcement officer.

There are no reports of injuries to Sheriff’s Deputies.

We will continue to bring more on this story as it develops.

UPDATE: 11:17 P.M. – The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office has identified the deceased as 69-year-old Joseph Allen Schlosser.

The identities of the Sergeant and Deputy involved in the shooting have not been released.

time-wood shoot-1 shoot-2

Comments
  • Wow what’s going on with this??????????

Sunday, 29 January 2017, 9:34 pm
  • >Gil. I too am sorry for your loss but you can see how many time I have asked what’s going on. No answers yet!!!! The whole thing stinks. Like u said he was in his home. I hope one day we have answers but I wouldn’t hold your breathe. Like are these “trained” officers working or on paid vacation being paid with tax payers money. What’s going on tom???

Tuesday, 6 December 2016, 3:45 pm
  • It is most amazing and I just found about this yesterday……..Just that you all know……Joe “Doc” Schlosser was an amazing man and a friend of mine. He was an avid gun collector and had in his home way over a 100 guns……therefore easy to say he “had gun in his possession”. Is that mean that anyone who have a gun or guns in his own home can be killed by the police? in HIS own home?!…….did they, the police have a search warrant….probably not, since there was a “call” by a health-care professional (she was working for him regularly and knew there were many guns at home) about some “suicidal” person in possession of a gun…..For God Sake!! he was inside his castle, his own home!!!
    Surprisingly all his guns are now put up for sale in an auction up in Tallahassee…..did he have a family? I wonder who put up all his guns for sale?!

Tuesday, 22 November 2016, 10:31 am
    • So sorry for your loss, Gil. There are many of us still reeling from this. I did not know doc but was horrified at what transpired. We have heard NOTHING from FDLE. They’re protecting that blue line….or for hernando, the yellow line, straight down their backs.

Tuesday, 22 November 2016, 8:03 pm
  • Just saying, you know FDLE is investigating and until they reach a conclusion, i.e., all the cops stories match each other, they aren’t releasing any info. It is not up to Tom but FDLE. And we know they are protecrtng each other…..so….until all their stories match, nothing will be released. Bob, I appreciate your indignation, but please…..go blow a dead bear..

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 11:28 pm
  • On oct 11 you dm said you would see if this case was closed today is the 26 and no up dates yet?

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 7:35 pm
  • Exactly.!!! Weed out the bad cops like mascetelli. You know the one who wacked off on duty and gets a 24 hour suspension? What is going on with the investigation on this story?

Tuesday, 18 October 2016, 6:20 pm
  • > justice ???? …… I can not believe that this family and the public are not being givin answers. Did he have a gun? Did he aim his gun? Was he really a threat? The names of the officers haven’t even been given out officially? Why is it that a tazer wasn’t used or some other method? I am sad for this family and I think that we are all owed some kind of explanation since the sheriffs office works for and are paid by the citizens of Hernando county!! What’s going on tom lemon. This is way to long for an update!!!!

Tuesday, 11 October 2016, 3:46 pm
    • Justice
      You seem to know a lot about how the Sheriffs department is run. Why didn’t you run for sheriff. Our sheriff ran unopposed for a reason that being he knows what he is doing. For your information to prevent innuendos that you are implying the investigation is performed by the FDLE. When there investigation is completed everything will be public record. Why don’t you just hold tight. All your questions will be answered in a timely manner. Now if you want to make some noise why don’t you shake our county commissioners who disallowed any increase what so ever in the sheriffs budget. By the way no I am not a deputy and I am not an employee of any law enforcement agency

Tuesday, 11 October 2016, 4:21 pm
      • And I agree with CC, why give them more money to waste. Yes, FDLE is investigating. Cops covering for bad cops. You know how we can stop this madness against the cops who are innocent? I do. The good cops should say enough is enough and stop supporting the bad cops, i.e., stop the wall of silence and weed out the bad cops. I believe people will start to have more respect for all cops and perhaps the assault of innocent cops will stop.

Sunday, 16 October 2016, 12:21 am
  • Just saying, you know they are not going to update this story until all their lies, oops stories, match. Then it will be updated. But this a $$clown sherriff wants a raise for his pathethic officers. Smdh.

Monday, 10 October 2016, 9:16 pm
  • Ok it’s. Week later and still no update?

Sunday, 9 October 2016, 4:53 pm
  • It’s amazing to me that story has not been updated?????

Sunday, 2 October 2016, 4:40 pm
  • Tom lemon what’s going on with this story?

Friday, 23 September 2016, 6:45 pm
  • Ok what’s going on with this. Who were the deputies? Why was this elderly veteran/retired officer was shot? What was the reason ?

Monday, 19 September 2016, 5:00 pm
  • Never a dull day here in Hernando County.

Saturday, 17 September 2016, 4:02 pm
  • Smh???? I have cried all day and haven’t been able to find out if he had a gun. My heart is broken. I really dont know what is going on but this is difficult to wrap my head around.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 8:47 pm
  • Weneedpeace, that has been bothering me ALL day, did he actually have a gun in his possession ? Even the news channels said don’t know, I will say one more thing= IT takes multiple shots to kill someone?? NOT IF YOU KNOW HOW TO AIM AND SHOOT. Otherwise Bin Laden would be alive today, Not accusing, but too bad there are so many doubts going on in people’s heads. Body cameras anyone?? I know people that can shoot a gun out of the hand, doesn’t take 12 shots ( as posted by Mr. WOODS) to kill someone.. Says he heard 12 shots. Sorry but as of right now we can still express our free speech. No I am not against law enforcement , most of us just need some honest answers on this one.Decorated war vet, leo and sick, disabled and certainly depressed. Wish this had turned out differently .

Friday, 16 September 2016, 7:05 pm
  • And who the [email protected] said he had a gun. He owned guns but nowhere in article or in HCSO releaze does it say he pulled a gun on deputies.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 5:43 pm
  • Sargeant Dunn has been employed by HCSO since 2003.  She is 35.  And yet she has all this amazing training in de-escalation.  I think NOT. We lost a veteran. A man who gave his life for this country, yet people want to coddle these deputies. I would like to think something positive would come out of this since FDLE is in involved. But you know what, it won’t, beause they guard that blue line, or in the case of HCSO that yellow line. Just glad to know it wasn’t Sargeant Reak involved.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 5:32 pm
  • Sounds like in this case all would have been better off if they had just left him alone.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 5:14 pm
  • God Bless this Deceased Veteran and may God help guide the Deputies who had to take his life. This is a a sad case for all. To Frank Russo…and Frank Rosen….ARE YOU KIDDING ME? To Quote John Wayne…”Life is tough, but it is even tougher when you’re stupid” You are both a waste of oxygen !

Friday, 16 September 2016, 3:02 pm
  • Frank Rosen was the one my previous post was for, and RS with the laugh out loud post.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 2:48 pm
  • Say what where exactly did i mention anything about a race war? You are clearly mistaken. Please show me where I said that.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 2:09 pm
  • Bob, who says the government wasn’t helping this man? Have you ever lived in constant pain? It gets to a point that the pain meds don’t help anymore no matter how strong they are. If you haven’t lived with it, you have no idea what it’s like.

Were you there? Do you know for a fact what happened or have you just heard rumors or just assuming things.

Have a great day.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 1:29 pm
  • FYI he was really big threat even though he couldn’t get out of his wheelchair on his own also highly decorated war soldier and retired homicide detective. Way to go guys, in his own home. Wow

Friday, 16 September 2016, 12:16 pm
    • I guess with all that experience he new how to use a weapon. How about for your information the deputy didn’t have a choice if he wanted to go home to his family. I truly respect the fact that he was a retired vet and a retired police officer but when push comes to shove, “if you point a weapon at a police officer some one will be shot” Now lets point the finger in the right direction, why wasn’t our government available to help this veteran. We are willing to help thousands of refugees from the mid east but no funds to help our vet’s. I rest my case.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 12:52 pm
  • This man was a retired marine and law enforcement officer. He has been through and seen a lot during those times. He also suffered from many health problems and was constantly in pain and suffering. Probably one of the nicest guys many of us know with a HUGE heart. Always looking out and helping others. Unfortunately many vets suffer and end up suicidal but it’ll never change the perspective I have of him. May you rest in piece Doc and fly high my friend. You will be missed.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 11:42 am
  • Yes RS laugh out loud again, you are STUPID, and I don’t care that you are a lawyer. The statements you made says it all!! I bet you are a p”’ poor lawyer at that. To think that this poor man fought for your right to get on here and toot your own horn and say we need race wars is over the top. May this victim RIP and condolences to family and the neighborhood who seemed to care about him. I say RS YOU are the coward. And there is no cure for stupid!!!!

Friday, 16 September 2016, 11:18 am
  • Joshua ,I ” soumd” like an idiot. That made me laugh out loud

Friday, 16 September 2016, 10:23 am
  • Most of the readers know very little about this incident so far, but don’t hesitate to condemn the deceased person or say it was poorly handled by law enforcement. There was a distraught person with firearms………….who is now dead and there are 2 officers who are dealing with the trauma of it. My thoughts are with them, the family of the man and also with the neighbors who are trying to process this tragic event.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 10:21 am
  • Knowing this man hurts me so bad to know that he was killed. He was a retired Marine and was an amazing man!!! My heart hurts so much to know this is how his life was taken. May you rest in peace Doc ♡

Friday, 16 September 2016, 10:11 am
  • Frank Rosen obviously needs some psychiatric help…

Thinking the county needs a black and white issue and that someone that would consider taking their own life is a “gutless coward”.

All I can say is wow! Get some help before your problems catch up with you Frank. You might be next. ?

Friday, 16 September 2016, 10:05 am
  • Frank Rosen you said a black and white issue is what this county needs. You were kidding, right?

Friday, 16 September 2016, 9:43 am
  • My comment is aimed at JUST SAYING SAYS. I find it very interesting that you are making these comments and you don’t even know who the deputy was. It seems that you would have a negative comment about our Sheriffs Department no matter what goes down. For your information I happen to know this deputy very well. He has extensive training and I know for a fact that he is the most compassionate caring person you will ever come across. For your information I was in a burning building with this deputy. All he had on was a short sleeve shirt and slacks. During the time that we were in that fully involved structure he never considered his own safety. All he wanted was to save the life of the occupant. And he did. You need to stop your negative comments about our Sheriffs office. We have one of the best departments in the State Of Florida. Remember our first responders go into different situations that you would never think of going near.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 9:03 am
  • I heard he had an at home health aid call, and this was his plan. That he was in severe terrible pain 24 7, and pain killers had little to no effect. Im not condoning his decision but I couldnt imagine an inescapable life of intense constant pain. Apparently he was a very smart man that served our country. Just put yourself in some one elses shoes before judging.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 8:24 am
  • @rs they have no training and you soumd like an idiot

Friday, 16 September 2016, 7:51 am
  • UPDATE: 11:17 P.M. – The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office has identified the deceased as 69-year-old Joseph Allen Schlosser.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 7:43 am
  • Only a gutless coward takes his own life . This town needs a wake up call. Woodland waters Glenn lakes, aren’t they the people that opposed a new gun range and are against small business owners and the American. Yes they are, funny how when they need help the 2 things they oppose God and guns , they pray and call someone with a gun to help. I’m just sorry it was not a black and white issue that’s what this town needs. And I agree with you Chris maybe if your range was open your training classes would have helped identify this issue with your community ouch reach programs or gun safety awareness. Looking forward to your PRIVATE SHOOTING CLUB OPEN OPENING on the 24th of this month in the same location. Happy my law degree was able to help

Friday, 16 September 2016, 7:40 am
    • Frank….Put down the Weed! We have 22 Veterans a day that take their life! This is obviously a larger problem than being a “coward”!

Friday, 16 September 2016, 2:46 pm
  • I’m surprised the Glenn lakes Natzis are not protesting the police. My hats off to the police excellent job. We support you.BLUE LIVES MATTER.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 7:30 am
    • Frank Rosen…the word is spelled “Nazi” there is no “T” in it…and you have a law degree? from what 3rd world country?

Friday, 16 September 2016, 2:42 pm
  • why do you idiots bring the race card to the table. It DOESNT matter his color, his religion, his weight or anything else. If you threaten a law officer, hopefully you gonna die—–period. Enough of this sh*t against color and lawmen.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 5:23 am
  • The gentleman was a retired veteran who was confined to a motorized wheel chair who, by the looks of him, could not motivate quickly under any circumstances. 12 shots? Is that true? Interesting to see how this plays out. God Bless Doc’s family.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 3:27 am
  • Poorly trained and inexperienced? Where you on scene? If so, so you happen to have the training files of the Deputy and SGT??

I didn’t think so. It’s obvious that you are an un-informed moron that has an ax to grind with the Sheriff’s Office..JW, go sniff some glue and watch Conspiracy Theory with your buddy Dennis. ???

Friday, 16 September 2016, 12:22 am
  • That is very sad…prayers to the family. That is a white policeman on a white man involved shooting right? Where’s the news media? (Besides you of course Tom) and how many shots fired? Wouldn’t one have been sufficient? Again sad circumstances. Prayers to all.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 10:40 pm
  • Jusy sayin, how was it mishandled? Who Called the police? Did he threaten them with weapon? Did he ask for help?did he shoot? Did he commit suicide by cop? Did he communicate with them? Did he barricade and not say a word? How do you know so much with very little given? Just because you say so doesnt mean squat. Quit trying to be an internet expert.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 10:39 pm
  • stupid you dont kill people cause they need meds dumb how many amens i have

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 9:38 pm
  • Sounds like suicide by cop! Pray for the family But he got what he wanted .Thanks HCSO! I would not want to be a cop today.Not in this world

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 9:26 pm
  • @ just saying – So somebody doesn’t have the balls enough to take care of it themselves and forces the hand of law enforcement by threatening them with a weapon and it’s the officers fault somehow? What fantasy world do you live in? What about the unfortunate officers who now have to live with this for the rest of their lives cause this guy was a coward?

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 9:20 pm
    • 22 Veterans a day take their own Life! I do feel sad for ALL involved.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 2:52 pm
  • Sounds like he wanted a “suicide by cops

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 9:19 pm
  • Sorry this person was so distraught that he was suicidal, also sorry he was shot Multiple times, why? As for you Chris Russo are you freaking stupid, a gun range would have saved his life from stress? Ludicrous !! Will be anxious to hear the WHOLE story on this one. RIP and condolences to family and friends.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 8:32 pm
  • I counted 12 shots fired.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 8:25 pm
  • @just saying, I agree. I can’t wait to see who was involved. I bet I know who the Sargeant was. Like Paul, this will be interesting as it plays out.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 7:38 pm
  • Who are the deputies involved?

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 7:28 pm
  • Hey hackman. I know you wont post this but on this story,you might want to look up the names LAURIE TYSZKO and RIVER FITZPATRICK. They might come up in this story.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 6:54 pm
  • What a shame what a shame if there was a local gun range a quarter mile up the road not shot down by the Glen Lakes residence in the bureaucrats of Hernando County in the County Commissioners maybe this wouldn’t have has ppened maybe the man would have not been stress and would not have been suicidal.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 6:50 pm
    • chris are you hitting the booze can?

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 9:35 pm
    • ^ This has to be a top ten contender for the STUPIDEST , MORONIC , RETARDED POST ever !!!!!!!!!!!!
      Please but down the gas can and stop huffing. Try to save at least one brain cell.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 10:19 pm
    • Russo…where does your Degree in Psychology come from?

Friday, 16 September 2016, 2:50 pm
  • Again Hernando county is called to assist with a suicide threat and they mishandled it? When will they receive proper training. A couple of hours is not enough. Prayers go to the family I thank god my son survived the encounter we had with the county! Inexperienced and poorly trained. A man is dead and why. Cause they called for help with a suicide threat. Way to go again!!!! Prayers

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 6:25 pm
    • wow mr judge jury and executioner !!!!!!!!!! you see allllllllllllllllllllllllllll that in 1 paragraph ??????? I am sorry but I am damned proud of our department !!!! They saved my wifes life . what have you done for anyone ?????

Friday, 16 September 2016, 1:06 pm
    • Just sayin….You are a very sad excuse for a human being!

Friday, 16 September 2016, 2:35 pm
  • Was it a white cop and a white victim, God I hope so. Tragic any one had to be killed, but we don’t need a race war here in Hernando County

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 6:07 pm
  • Very sad situation.
    Usually people threatening suicide don’t really want to die. If they did, no one would know of their plans and they would succeed.

Sad situation for everyone involved. ?

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 5:44 pm
  • sad ? ? ? prayers to all involved….

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 4:41 pm
  • Such a shame someone was killed.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 4:23 pm
  • This outta be interesting.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 4:13 pm