SunTrust Bank to Close Muslim Woman’s Account, Effective SEPTEMBER 11th – Coincidence?

SPRING HILL – SunTrust Bank is back in the news, but this time it’s not for closing the accounts of gun dealers and pawn shops. A legal immigrant from Turkey, who happens to be a Muslim, says her account was closed for reasons that may be directly related to her faith.

SunTrust Bank made national headlines earlier this year, after they closed the accounts of several gun dealers and pawn shops across the country. Steve Champion, owner of American Gun and Pawn in Brooksville, fell victim to SunTrust’s closing spree, that some believe was part of the current administrations gun control campaign called “Operation Choke Point.”

On June 24th, newly-weds Dan Henry and Hilal Kose opened a joint account at the SunTrust Bank, located at 10810 County Line Road in Hudson. During the opening processes, bank employees requested several documents from Kose, due to post-September 11th 2001 Homeland Security protocol. Kose says she complied with the request and completely understood the importance and necessity of providing those documents.

Kose immigrated to the United States in 2013, after earning her law degree in her native country of Turkey. Kose currently resides in the U.S. under a student visa and is working towards earning her doctorate and becoming citizen of the United States.

A few weeks after the couple opened their SunTrust account, Assistant Vice President Victoria Groeger sent an urgent email to the couple, requesting the same documents that had already been provided. A perplexed Henry immediately replied to the email and within 24 hours resubmitted the necessary documents. In his reply, Henry voiced his dissatisfaction with Groeger and other SunTrust employees, which led to a series of snarky emails between the two.

On July 17th Groeger writes “You seem very unhappy with SunTrust would you like me to close your account?” Bewildered by the seemingly arrogant reply, Henry writes, “So is this your solution – This is how you respond to me – You can’t take responsibility for your actions so you just ask if I want to close my account?”

Adding to growing suspicion that SunTrust was “looking for a way out,” Henry says he never received his debit card, even after numerous inquiries regarding its status.

On August 12th, less than two months after the couple opened their account, SunTrust sent a certified letter informing them that their account would close 30 days from the issuance of the letter – which just happens to fall on September 11th 2015. Kose and Henry feel the posted date was not a coincidence, rather SunTrust’s way of saying they did not want to do business with immigrants of Muslim decent.

Kose says in retrospect the whole experience now makes sense, because every time she conducted business inside the Hudson branch, tellers would make fun of her Turkish accent.

We contacted SunTrust’s Atlanta headquarters for comment but we have not received a reply. When or if they do, we will update this report with their response.

Henry and Kose are now searching for another bank to handle their financial affairs.

RELATED ARTICLES:

GUN SHOP OWNER’S BANK ACCOUNT CLOSED, FEDS SAY “HIGH RISK” BUSINESS

SUNTRUST “UNDER FIRE” FOR CANCELLING GUN SHOP OWNER’S ACCOUNTS

Cancellation Letters

Emails 1

Kose 2

hilal

Comments
  • Hey Dan and Hilal just wanted to let you know that I close both my savings and checking account. Give them hell

Monday, 24 August 2015, 8:40 pm
  • Sad part about banks. Do they realize where the money came from when there was a bailout, sure the government bailed them out, but where did they get the cash for that and dont be late on your house or car payment because they will come take it from you. There’s always a catch 22 hidden in there somewhere even in the lottery, for instance if you play cash 3 boxed with a double digit you win double and if not you don’t…445 wins 160 but 345 win 80 whadup with that

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 5:04 pm
  • They all do…i keep my $$$ right where u can see it

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 4:53 pm
  • Bay News 9 sucks……just like Sun Trust…

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 3:52 pm
  • Lol

Saturday, 22 August 2015, 1:57 pm
  • FRANK, If this site sucks so much why do you read it. If you don’t like whats on the TV change the channel. Go get your news from Bay News 9.

Saturday, 22 August 2015, 9:49 am
  • Mr tom keep up the good work, and i think we the people need to hear and read these things so we the people can open our eyes and see whats going on hear in the us, and frankly people worry about what other countries are doing and seem not to be to concerned whats going on right here in our own back yard. Just like this flakka problem in south florida and one seen one reader to have said anything about it and wish people to take a look at the wicket this way comes

Friday, 21 August 2015, 11:48 am
  • Tom Lemons…..This is why your site sucks….You will put stuff like this up on your site to stir controversy without doing research to find the reason behind SunTrust closing this persons account. What if they are habitual offenders of bouncing checks or making bad transactions. What if SunTrust has linked their account to providing funding to terrorist organizations.

Dont put stuff up like this until you have the facts….not a letter from some crybaby about their account being closed and no reason why.

Friday, 21 August 2015, 11:02 am
      • I dont believe for 1 second that SunTrust would put their company at such a huge risk by dropping a client 2 months after they signed up with SunTrust simply because they are Muslim. They have found out something in their background check or history that was alarming enough to cancel the account. Either way, I dont see this as being something newsworthy enough to be on this page. Especially when you have so much other stuff of importance. There were several roads in Hernando County flooded and closed and something like reporting those closures would have been more newsworthy. This is my opinion of course.

Friday, 21 August 2015, 11:22 am
  • I have no problem with stricter guidelines or Muslims since we know their intentions are to kill Americans. If it was up to me, close the borders completely and forcefully remove all the Muslims because when the s**t hits the fan, who are they going to support, USA or their Muslim brothers and sisters.

Friday, 21 August 2015, 10:57 am
  • And as for Dan doing this because he wants or needs money from a lawsuit. Lmao , you don’t know Dan so stfu

Friday, 21 August 2015, 8:57 am
  • Dan in my nephew ( by marriage ) . He is very smart and tells people how it is, if this is how SunTrust is going to conduct business, i will be taking my 2 accounts elsewhere. Dan, kick some a** on this, hope to see you soon.

Friday, 21 August 2015, 8:51 am
  • They are unhappy?? “In his reply, Henry voiced his dissatisfaction with Groeger and other SunTrust employees, which led to a series of snarky emails between the two” Did Henry actually reply with the documents requested or just a repeat of what they had already given them? How did he “voice his dissatisfaction”? What exactly did he call Mr Groeger and the other employees? How much money was still in the account? Henry started the problem, why is it Sun Trust’s fault? What is the rest of the story?

Friday, 21 August 2015, 8:50 am
  • Hey Orson best president we have had —-Ronald Reagan — “tear down that wall” re got those hostages released etc etc. ?? Correct???

Friday, 21 August 2015, 8:41 am
  • I noticed they closed the pawn shops account on 4/20…we all know the significance of that day.

Friday, 21 August 2015, 7:47 am
  • I was wondering why anyone would even care enough to report this story whether it was a Christian on December 25, or a jew…etc. and then i saw her pix and it ask made sense. Its because she is hot! Shame on you, if this happened to some creature looking woman, i wouldn’t even be commenting right now! ,ha

Friday, 21 August 2015, 1:50 am
  • Thats right we all have to be careful…the people that jump so fast to call racism are the one’s that just want to cause havoc in a not so politically correct world, equal rights for all and if someone gets offended because we protect ourselves with out prejudice i just don’t know what to tell them and if i personally don’t like someone it has notta to do with race nor nationality its how you act and conduct yourself. You can call me a honky a dumb Cracker and i just might agree with you and get a good laugh with you because thats what i am and proud to be me.

Friday, 21 August 2015, 12:21 am
  • I’m just a low man on a totem pole for a big bank, not Sun Trust, but I have to say there are alot of reasons to receive this letter ! You don’t know what the documents are that she provided. Banks have to answer to federal regulations because of 911, and people have to provide documentation, alot of it. . A bank is not going to risk it’s reputation to discriminate. I’m sorry, but I don’t think this is racist, and the date 9/11 for closing is a coincidence.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 10:16 pm
  • Banks seem to get worse every day. I don’t know why some of them are,still in existence!!
    I closed my account when Wells Fargo bought out Wachovia and opened one in a Credit Union. I have never regretted it.
    Sorry that is happening to you. Good luck!

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 9:15 pm
  • Minor point but she is legally in the states on a student visa but is not an immigrant. The student visa carries an expiration date by which she is obligated to leave the US for Turkey. They will probably try and get the visa status changed to immigrant by reason of marriage. Sometimes happens but many times they have to return to their country of origin to process the request. Student visa category is F-1, immigrant due to marriage to US citizen either CR-1 or IR-1, I have to know more about the circumstances to tell which applies.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 9:13 pm
  • Your better of to keep $$$ in your pocket so you can keep an eye on it

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 9:05 pm
  • News is news no matter what…keep on rockin mr tom and thanks for all you reports…this is the United state of America and the right of freedom of speech and if people from other places have a problem with the ways here go back from where you just ran from…foreigners and convicts and street thugs have more rights then the hard working us citizens. Something isn’t right here. And we have had only one good president and that one can’t even blame anything on his past administration, can anyone guess who that is

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 8:59 pm
  • I have known Dan for years and he is not one to pull a “frivolous lawsuit” We need to start recognizing that racism does exist, whether business or personal. My account with SunTrust will be closed, and I do believe any other bank would be more than happy to absorb the lost the lost business due to their ignorant behavior

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 8:47 pm
  • When did RNRF start doing investigative journalism?Stick with taking pictures and reporting the news. Oh, and TRUMP

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 8:05 pm
  • This is officially a new low for Tom Lemons.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 7:37 pm
  • Read I mean

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 6:57 pm
  • I think Ted’s is right not knowing all the facts

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 6:56 pm
  • Cry me some mountain music, like grandma and grandpa use to whine. I had money on Friday and Monday i have none to pay and now i need to steal so i can buy me some good old flakka and then i can find someone esle blame…

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 6:41 pm
  • I definitely agree with Sam and Joshua something smells really fishy here. Closing account on Sept 11 yes I think definitely a coincidence . I am sick of the PC. So let me get this straight she thinks account closed because she is a Muslim Really is she the Only Muslim to bank at suntrust, doubt it Fishy story!! PROBABLY more to this story than we will ever know.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 6:13 pm
  • Besides being completely irrelevant, how would the bank even know what religion they are? Legally, they aren’t even allowed to ask customers. There is nothing identifying here as Muslim she looks American. She’s full of crap. I don’t see discrimination. I see a slanderous attack against Sun Bank.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 6:01 pm
  • The ISLAM “cult” has no place in this democratic Christian nation.

It’s time that all Muslims should get out – Go Home!

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 5:55 pm
  • There has to be more to this story! Something smells here!

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 5:16 pm
  • I guess then the florist, baker, and photographer just have to say I don’t want your business and that will take care of it.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 4:38 pm
  • HHMMMM, I’m kinda digging the way Suntrust thinks….or, the ASSUMPTION of how they think. I may have found myself a new bank. Suntrust, here I come !!

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 4:20 pm
    • If you are in favor of banks shutting the accounts of gun stores because the communist in Washington orders it, you would probably be happy in a place like Turkey

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 7:35 pm
      • NOOO I like the idea of banks closing the accounts of Muslims, NOT gun stores !!!! I should have made that clear. Sorry

Friday, 21 August 2015, 1:33 am
  • Oh look at this…another foot stomping hissy fit from Millennials . Welcome to the “I’m offended again” generation. Grow up ya big baby. Stop pandering to these whiney overly sensitive entitled BRATS on a power trip.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 3:42 pm
  • O well maybe they know more than we know. They closed good hard working people accounts why not a muslim ill say it for everyone who wants too there up to no good amd if deleted cause of word muslim we don’t care karma is a …. and we are tired of political correctness well Christian extermination , And we smell lawsuit from t8hia nice you lady get your education amd go home .your on a student visa amd go fix muslim killers who wamt to destroy us thank you for use our education system to further your life in trying ha ha to cutoff our heads. Everyome have a blessed day as am a lacuna my foe may your day be beautiful

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 3:30 pm
  • Well let see if i go to a another country and do you think they will change their rules and regulations just for me, and when i say something about how they treated me. They will take my head off. Anyway you left your place of birth for what. I can’t fly a confederate flag, but its ok to fly Castro’s flag or a pirate flag, whadup with that

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 3:11 pm
    • Is your home on government property? If not, there’s no law that says you can’t fly any flag you wish.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 4:24 pm
  • I agree with Harry. The bank should not be able to discriminate on the basis of religion given it is dependant on the FDIC and Federal Reserve for its operation.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 2:52 pm
  • I think the couple stated trouble , give them a mixing bowl parting gift and they can be on their way

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 2:43 pm
  • Intuition says there’s another side to this story. Both of those letters are an exact verbatim wording of a letter one of my relatives received, in her case for not keeping any money in her account. They gave her 30 days to close hers or they would do it for her. I have done business with Steve Champion and he’s a nice guy who will get my vote for the county commission. But even he knows that this is America and even a big mean old bank like SunTrust does have the right to refuse service to anyone – just like Steve’s business and my own business. At my place of employment, we don’t sell our merchandise or services without business licenses, contractors’ licenses, tax IDs, and we don’t accept personal checks. If a potential customer has a problem with that, we simply don’t engage. In my opinion, this is a molehill being turned into a mountain by this young couple, perhaps indeed seeking compensation. Tom Lemons, you should feel honored that your media enterprise is viewed as effective enough for this couple to seek your help. Real News Real Fast does have the right to choose what stories to present….

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 2:39 pm
  • Why did they close the gun shop acct? Sun trust is run by the good old boys

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 2:35 pm
  • I have banked with that branch of Suntrust since it opened and personally know EVERY employee there. I cannot attest to what happened with her account with the main office of Suntrust but I can definitely attest to everything fully about the branch and there is absolutely no way in hell that anyone there would ever make fun of ANY customer or person because of their race creed religion nationality or any other reason EVER! They are the most respectful and nicest people I have ever had the opportunity of working with. I am a local business owner and I will support my branch 100%. I felt sorry for this couple while reading this article until they decided to make false accusations about the employees at that branch. Shame on them! As far as why their account was closed I have no clue why, but there’s usually two sides to every story.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 2:21 pm
  • Doesn’t it seem odd that a bank can close a customer’s account for any or no reason. Yet a baker or florist who has religious convictions about gay marriage can be sued and forced out of business for not accepting a gay couple as customers. The bank can pick and choose their customers, apparently the baker, florist and photographers can’t. Seems like a double standard here.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 2:20 pm
    • Ridiculous. You can’t prove that was what the bank’s decision was based on. It’s all speculation and assumption. Frivolous accusations.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 3:45 pm
    • Great point Harry, it is a double standard. An illegal double standard. Anyone who thinks that the government has the legal authority to force someone to bake a cake should go to a Proctologist and have their head located.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 7:23 pm
  • Does not sound like a fight to me just read the two letters hers and the gun shop

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 2:18 pm
  • Sounds like they tried to start a fight with SunTrust so they would have an excuse to bring a frivolous lawsuit against the bank.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 1:50 pm
  • Everybody should close out their sun trust acct. and put this bank out of business. I’m sure another bank will be happy to open her account for her banking needs .

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 1:49 pm