“Survey Crew” May Be Surveying You – Traffic Enforcement Underway

HERNANDO – By the time you take a second look, at what you thought was a survey crew on the side of the road, you might be stuck with a hefty fine, courtesy of the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office’ Traffic Enforcement Unit.

According to officials, there will be increased traffic enforcement through this Friday April 3rd, in an effort to combat traffic violations and hopefully save lives.

We spoke to Sgt. Scott Lamia today, while he and his team conducted operations on Spring Hill Drive and he says it’s not unusual to clock people driving 20 to 30 mph over the posted speed limit.

Sgt. Lamia says “People are critical of what we do, but I don’t want my friends or family getting hit by someone doing 70 or 80 mph in a 45 mph speed zone.” He goes on to say “Most people support us, but we’re going to continue our efforts no matter who’s critical.”

Deputies are primarily targeting aggressive drivers, those who are well-over the speed limit, texting, not wearing seatbelt, or driving impaired. Many of the drivers stopped during the operation do not receive citations but are given written or verbal warnings.

So the next time you see the “Survey Crew” while driving on Hernando County roads, hopefully you can wave with confidence, knowing that you obeyed the law and avoided a considerable citation.

Sur1 sur 8 sur 4 sur 2 sur 3 Sur 6 sur 7 Sur 9

Comments
  • The HCSO does a really good job with the resources they have. Remember, they have not had a true budget increase in some time. These people put their life on the line for people they most likely don’t even know, because they take an oath. Do you get “bad apples” of course, every profession has them, but the HCSO in my humble opinion seems to catch up with those who “Tarnish the Badge”. As for Traffic Enforcement, like many others here, I have witnessed drivers literally flying down two lane streets, and weaving and driving erratically on almost every four lane in Hernando County. So Cudo’s to HCSO and the Traffic Unit for trying to at least keep us safe. As Sgt. Lamia stated, “most of the drivers are given warnings” and not tickets. But I would live to see a unit catch some of the idiots on Spring Hill Drive going 65 or 70 in a 45! And it happens often enough that someone eventually gets hurt.

Monday, 6 April 2015, 9:15 pm
  • Don’t break the law, nothing to fear.

Great job HCSO!

Sunday, 5 April 2015, 10:18 pm
  • I have not seen anyone on here say that they received a ticket for something they were innocent of. I have lived here over 30 years, and have never met anyone that said they received a ticket for something they did not do. If you are physically or mentally incapable of following the motor vehicle laws, don’t drive, If you fear red light cameras because you get confused wondering whether to stop or go, do not drive. you are incapable of making the fast decisions that operating a vehicle sometimes require. Too many people are ignoring the laws and drive like they are the only one on the road. A deputy could sit at the intersection of 50 and Sunshine Grove Rd and write tickets all shift for imbeciles running the red light there, it is a wonder more people do not die on the roads than do.
    If a police officer were standing on the side of the road with sign that said “No Speed Limit” and another was writing tickets down the roads for speeding, that would be entrapment.

Friday, 3 April 2015, 3:32 pm
  • Wherever you speed demons out there need to be in such a hurry, it is not worth risking your life, my life or my loved one’s life for. Again, this speaks to “how does YOUR poor planning become MY issue”. Give yourselves proper time to get to where you need to be and I will do the same so we can all slow down and save lives! Good reminder. Thank you HCSO for keeping us safe!

Friday, 3 April 2015, 6:08 am
  • they are not forcing you to speed therefore its not entrapment. Good job hcso

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 7:38 pm
  • Learn what entrapment is before you use it incorrectly in a statement

In criminal law, entrapment is a practice whereby a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit.[1] It is a type of conduct that is generally frowned upon, and thus in many jurisdictions is a possible defense against criminal liability.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 7:36 pm
  • They are wearing vests that say HCSO so how is that entrapment? They have also put it in the newspaper that they would be doing this. So pay attention to what is going on and what do you know no surprises

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 5:35 pm
  • I am proud of HCSO nobody appreciates all they do everyday. Wake up people they do what they do for this county believe me they are hardly compensated for all they do. Thanks again HCSO for keeping our county safe!

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 5:32 pm
  • Sort of sounds like entrapment.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 2:04 pm
  • In Reality if you think about that It is entrapment. I obey the law and I may drive over the speed limit a little just like any normal person would and I also understand they have a job to do. But at the same time they are not in no uniform or not in a marked vehicle, They are posing as a “survey crew” That has entrapment all over it and the police officers who are pulling you over are around the corner sit ten there waiting on a word for them to stop you. Now tell me that’s not wrong? yeah That’s entrapment my friend. They also talk about civilians speeding on the streets, have you ever had a LEO pass you on the road? have you tried to stay up with him? and as we all know that LEO’s there self speed as well. and they can use the Card they have a call. They might but have you ever watched a Cop speed by you just to turn into a store? and go into the store and get a soda? I’ve seen it several times. Before they start trying to slow civilians down, Maybe they should take a look in the mirror, Because the Honest truth is That Cops there self break more laws than a regular civilian does in 1 day.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 11:05 am
  • That is crafty as can be! I love it! This is why if people want to speed, they should spend the 25 bucks an go to the track. A lot cheaper than a hefty fine. Get rid of the aholes endangering or kids’ lives.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 9:38 am
  • Oh and one more thing, if people have the freedom for peace and quiet then why can’t I or others who enjoy it have the freedom to listen to our music as loud as we like? Isn’t that what the noise ordinance law is for? After 9 PM turn it down. If you don’t like it, don’t do it! That’s what is wrong with this world today, everyone is to concerned with what others are doing and how it goes against their rights. What about the rights of those that enjoy listening to our music “booming”, or the rights of those that are gay, lesbian, bi- sexual, transgender etc… Or those of us that want to keep God in the pledge of allegiance, or those of us that want to exercise our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms? We have rights also!!! Too many of our rights have already been taken away. Once again, if you don’t like something then don’t do it, plain and simple, no one is forcing you to be gay or say God when you say the pledge, or to own a gun, etc…so stop trying to take our rights away just because you don’t like something.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 3:08 am
  • Love how LEO says they can take the word of another deputy. Because we all know none of them ever lie! Yeah right. Look at Michael Glatfelter and Joseph Reid and they aren’t the only corrupt ones in the county. Others have been caught, others have not! Not saying they are all bad, but a lot of them think because they are LEOs that they are above the law. I’ve seen some of them speeding down 50, Elgin, and Spring Hill Drive with no lights flashing, changing lanes without using blinkers, etc… But, let me do it and them see it and I’m getting pulled over. In my opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions, it is just another form of entrapment and just another way for the county to screw us out of money since the red light cameras were voted out.

Thursday, 2 April 2015, 2:33 am
  • Breathe easy, don’t break the law!

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 9:49 pm
  • They need to hang out on Elgin Blvd. *at night* close to where we live, on the stretch from Sterling Hill to Barclay. They will catch the people racing their rice rockets and crotch rockets. We hear it a lot and the noise from the racing alone can wake you up out of a dead sleep. And, while they’re at it, can something be done about the noise polluters with the booming car stereos that disturb the peace? They can make some money from ticketing those annoying “citizens”.

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 9:48 pm
  • Pathetic & a way to take money out of the working mans pocket. This kind of police procedure is organized crime via the sheriff’s office & we are the targets.

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 2:35 pm
  • Dennis as long as the citation that may or may not be issued is countersigned by the operating Deputy by the end of shift, different laws on the signage of citations vary from state to state and include air operations as well. in general misdemeanor citations must be signed by both the operator of the unit and the issuing officer, but you should check with the Sheriff’s Dept on there current Sop’s.

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 1:17 pm
  • Wait am I classified as a aggressive driver because I don’t want to wear a seat belt ?

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 11:40 am
  • April 3 or 4 doesn’t mean they won’t be back. It is to make you think and let down your guard.

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 10:18 am
  • im glad they are doing these operations to control the traffic voilaters…something needs to be done great job hernando’s finest keep up the good work

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 10:05 am
  • I remember a few years ago at Christmas time Santa was at Mariner & Spring Hill Dr. with a Radar Gun Ho Ho Ho

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 9:40 am
  • Florida Highway Patrol has conducted similar type of enforcement on 19 North of the Weeki Wachee school complex in the past several months.

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 9:19 am
  • The Deputy does not need to be the one to write the citation/warning. He can take the word of another Deputy, not a civilian. A citation cannot be issued from a civilian complaint, but a fellow Deputy can write a citation based on what I have seen.

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 7:24 am
  • Excuse me… “many”.. I guess..

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 6:08 am
  • The article clearly states the officer will give a warning not a citation.

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 6:06 am
  • Do correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the LEO that clocks you have to be the one writing the citation? Just a question.

Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 1:28 am
  • I was on the road today! I think its great…..too many people behind the wheel not thinking of the damage the veichle can cause when not used properly…. Its scary out there everyday all day….They have to do their jobs to keep everyone safe. Dont hate. Participate! In following the laws.

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 10:49 pm
  • Hope they realize the ticket must be issued by the witnessing officer, not the oneaking the stop.

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 10:40 pm
  • They need to keep doing past April 3rd, these drivers that speed down spring hill drive need to be taught a lesson and get fined. ..I had a guy in a maroon pick up truck last week almost ran into my passenger side went over my lane on purpose because I merged in front of him cause of the construction I had my blinker on and I guess he didn’t like the fact that I merged infront of him and sped on the side of me and then while he was trying to get in front of me came into my lane, I held my horn at him and he sped off doing about 80 only to get caught at the light on four corners….dummy!!!

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 10:29 pm
  • I support marked vehicles on the road doing traffic enforcement. I do not support using subterfuge to try to ticket as many people as possible and rack up the fines.

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 9:19 pm
  • Hopefully speeders once ticketed on county roads will get the message to stop driving reckless, There are enough accidents in Hernando Co as it is.

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 8:40 pm
  • Great News!!! Now put them on Mariner between 5:30 and 7:30. And on Northcliff at the same time.

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 8:26 pm
  • I do not understand why this is only happening until April 3rd? The are multitudes of fools behind the wheel, tailgating, not signalling, speeding…running red lights…write some tickets and keep writing them!

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 8:05 pm
  • As a surveyor I hope this makes people slow down when they see workers near the road. Lord knows I have had some close calls in my twenty years .

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 7:26 pm
  • That’s bs. All about $

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 7:07 pm
  • People shouldn’t b so critical . Your protecting all of us ,,,great job

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 6:59 pm
  • If your not doing anything wrong,then nothing to worry about.:-)

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 6:42 pm