Teen Struck by Car at Bus Stop in Critical Condition

SPRING HILL – A 16-year-old boy is in critical condition this morning, after being struck by a car at bus stop on Pinehurst Drive.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, around 5:49 a.m., 23-year-old Michael Casey was traveling southbound on Pinehurst Drive, approaching the intersection of Post Court. The victim was walking west from Post Court to reach his bus stop at Pinehurst Drive and Treehaven Drive. While crossing the street, the victim was struck by the front of Casey’s 2005 Chevrolet Venture.

The teen was transported to Bayonet Point Hospital where he was listed in critical condition.

Charges are pending according to officials.

ped

Interior Large copy

Comments
  • I’m amaze that people can’t get off topic about the situation here. This happens too often. Anything you all are saying aside from your prayers and hoping all is well is irrelevant. Get with the program people. If you have complaints about law enforcement in hernando take it up with the court house. People are stressed out enough here… I hope all is well though.

Monday, 28 September 2015, 1:04 pm
  • Prayers for Jonathan that he makes a speedy recovery , and prayers to his dad and the grandparents who raised him.

Friday, 18 September 2015, 12:28 pm
  • i live two houses down from where this took place from the corner of where the bus stop is to the street that the kid was walking from is dark plus there is a slight hill at treehaven and pinehurt. and no signs that alert drivers that there is a bus stop ahead, and its not only a bus stop for high schoolers either there are younger children that get picked up there as well. this whole side of pinehurst is rough people are constantly speeding through there have been numerous accidents around here. and im sure the driver was speeding and possibly doing something else because how can you not see someone walking in the street if you werent paying attention.i am hoping that the boy has a speedy and full recovery

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 11:16 pm
  • My thoughts are with the family, we continue to keep you in our prayers

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 4:27 pm
  • Any updates on this young boys condition??

Still praying for a speedy recovery.
    And his family.

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 8:11 am
  • @Retired……..Exactly!!!
    Some people don’t comprehend what they read, and THINK they know!!

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 8:09 am
  • Driving on the roads is a privilege, not a right as previously mentioned. Cyrinda Craig posted some court cases that appear to contradict this. 2 of those cases deal with passport issues and the need to have them to travel in the US. The other 2 cases involve the rights of a City to govern the States authority of a drivers license. None of these cases state that driving is a right. Travel is a right, but is different from actually operating a motor vehicle. Just a note.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 10:06 am
  • My prayers for a full and speedy recovery. xoxo

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 9:30 am
  • My daughters know Jonathan have for a few years.prays from out family to him and his family. It broke out hearts when we seen it on the news we hope he makes a speedy recovery and everything turns out ok. I have always said they need to find a better way for these kids that have to walk to thier bus stops or make the pick up time a little later so its not so dark. Please god help Jonathan thur this and his family.
    Hoprfully family will keep us posted on have he is doing i would love to here he is fine soon.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 8:28 am
    it is a right not a privilege. It can be revoked ect due to not abiding laws and so on however it is very much a right DO YOUR RESEARCH.
    on another note I pray he recovers quickly and agree the walking so far to school and in the dark and without ample lighting needs to be addressed yesterday.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:08 am
    • The cases cited refer to travel without restriction, which has been allowed throughout American history. What it does not state is that nay citizen may operate a motor vehicle. Big difference. Does this mean, by case law, that without a license, I can fly a plane? Or operate a freighter? No, it does not. It means that I may travel without restriction and that I may do so using a vehicle however it does NOT state that I am the one with the RIGHT to operate the vehicle. Again, case in point, I may travel by plane, that doesn’t mean I can or should fly it.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 11:03 am
      • @Eric in SH……..Exactly!!!
        Some people don’t comprehend what they read, and THINK they know!!

Thursday, 17 September 2015, 8:06 am
  • thats my nephew please my for him and family

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 12:58 am
  • @el chapo….It is NOT a RIGHT, it IS a PRIVILEGE as the person above stated.
    You need to educate yourself on that subject, seriously.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 12:56 am
  • Praying for you and your family Jon ?

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 11:19 pm
  • Michelle, we will be praying for your sons speedy recovering. My daughter has a class with him and has really been disturbed by this. My heart goes to all the family. If ever need anything just let me know. God bless

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 10:56 pm
  • We really need to all get together and push for side walks to be put. I take my daughter to her atop every morning and yes there are a lot of kids walking and some of them you really can’t see them. Very sad. Let’s start a community reunion to enforce the city to plcase sidewalks.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 10:48 pm
  • Prays are with him and his family…..such a sin that these children are put in harms way trying to go to school. …when and how many more young lifes must get hurt before they change the system and put side walks or anything to help them get to school saftley

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 9:53 pm
  • As I hope that he is okay I also hope that the driver is OK too. I also hope that this opens up awareness to all of the parents and school age children to please be careful at where they are walking and standing every morning I see them standing in the road challenging drivers traveling on Landover Blvd .I have reported this to the school bus depot and they don’t seem to care.All in all everyone should be using caution.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 9:31 pm
    • @KatMcD……”Charges are pending” AGAINST the DRIVER!
      That leads me to believe the DRIVER was at FAULT in some
      way!

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 1:22 am
  • I love you so much Jonathon. Keep fighting, I’ll see you real soon❤️

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 9:14 pm
  • Prayers for the teen. My kids leave at 545 am to catch the bus…it’s rediculous.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 9:03 pm
  • I can’t even begin to explain my emotions right now. We have been super close since our freshman year and i trust him with everything. We have so many memories. Not being able to hear from you for a while is going to be really hard, Please stay strong. My prayers go out to him and his family. I love you so much Jonathan

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 8:18 pm
  • To ALL family and friends of this young man: Heartfelt Prayers go out to each on of you. And to the young man who was injured. .. Heartfelt Prayers go out to you !!! ♡♡

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 8:09 pm
  • I will pray for your son and that he recovers

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 7:54 pm
  • We know him ….please pray for him and his family. ..

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 5:40 pm
  • My prayers are with the family and their love one. My daughter and fellow students all went up to the hospital after school to give their support. I too am from up North and the bus stops are all surrounded with street lights. It is way to dark out for these kids. Something needs to be done. My heart breaks for the parents of this young man.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 5:38 pm
  • My friend Ashley was there and texted me this morning about it

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 4:21 pm
  • Praying for this kid and his family, if u need anything were just one block over…

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 4:21 pm
  • Hey I used to be friends with this kid in 8th grade his name is Johnathon we used to walk home together everyday

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 4:21 pm
  • I have known him since he was small prayers from our family to yours will try to get in contact plz let us know if anything we can do for your family

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 3:06 pm
  • Michelle my family will pray for your sons speedy recovery , my heart goes out to you and your family.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 2:55 pm
  • Prayers for your son and I have others praying also.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 2:37 pm
  • my daughter catches the bus at 625 am and it is pitch black, in the middle of the woods no street lights – I have sent emails to transportation to move the stop 1 block over where there is a street light and can not get a response – I make sure to take her and sit with her, even if I am late for work, but most kids done have that option and it is very hard to see them when it is that dark out. unfortunately It does not surprise me this happened. I hope this young man gets better soon

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 2:31 pm
  • That’s my son he still remains in critical cond. Severe head trama . Pls pray for my baby ..

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 1:53 pm
    • @Michelle….You, your son and your entire family will continue to
      to be in my prayers.

So sad for all of you. 🙁

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 1:06 am
  • That is a terrible spot for a school bus stop.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 1:06 pm
  • Actually driving is a right not a privilege. If you disagree I can provide all the evidence and laws that state so.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 12:54 pm
    • @el chapo….It is NOT a RIGHT, it IS a PRIVILEGE as the person above stated.
      You need to educate yourself on that subject, seriously.

Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 12:57 am
  • Prayers for all involved…

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 12:01 pm
  • Why can’t schools schedule their classes in the daylight hours? I never had ti be at school before 7 :45am. Why are these kids at the bus stop at 5 :45am. I blame it on the inadequate school system . I would never allow my child to stand in the dark to have to wait for a school bus. They get there before daylight and get home at dark! That in not acceptable..

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 11:59 am
  • Why not start school at eight am??…

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 11:43 am
  • If you miss The People’s Republic of New Jersey, then go back. You move down here and try to change things to fit your style. We were fine before you got here.
    Hope the young student is ok.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 10:59 am
  • Nothing for nothing but traffic enforcement is a joke in Hernando County. The SO puts a sting operation out, gets the media involved and goes oh look what a great job we are doing. There needs to be strict enforcement, stiff fines and penalties and impoundment of vehicles. It seems the majority in Hernando feel that driving is an right, an entitlement when of course it isn’t, it’s a privilege. Either law enforcement by and through the Sheriffs Office, the Florida Highway Patrol and the City of Brooksville need to take an aggressive approach and earn a reputation not unlike the police in South Georgia or the State of Ohio. We have FAR too many residents, tourists, elderly and new drivers to NOT have aggressive enforcement. The craziness that exists on the Florida roads is reprehensible. Drivers need to step up and pay attention, law enforcement needs to expand its approach and get the job done. No excuses. The time has long since come for this nonsense on our roads to end.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 10:25 am
  • I’m originally from nj . My point being there are street lights on all the roads up north. You really can’t see a damn thing down here on the roads early in the morning it’s crazy…Hope the young man is ok.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 10:01 am
  • My prayers for this child & his family.
    So sad. 🙁

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 10:01 am
  • Kids should not have to walk to catch the bus at 5:49 am. There has to be a better way. Prayers for all involved.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 9:56 am
  • Does anyone remember why they built the skate park on pinehust?

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 9:47 am
  • Not familiar with that area. crosswalk and sidewalks there or no? Hope he is OK

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 9:40 am
    • No sidewalk or crosswalk. High weeds on the northeast corner, though.

Tuesday, 15 September 2015, 10:09 am