Teenage Boy Dies, Two Injured in Two Vehicle Crash

BROOKSVILLE – Last night, RNRF brought you the tragic news of a two vehicle accident that injured three teenage boys at the intersection of Powell Road and Culbreath Road. Sadly, the Florida Highway Patrol just announced that one of the teens, 15-year-old Jaret Michael Harshman of Wesley Chapel has died as a result of his injuries. Two other victims, ages 17 and 18, sustained minor injuries and were transported to Bayonet Point Hospital for treatment.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, 18-year-old Ryan Scott Miller was traveling northbound on Culbreath Road in his 2006 Chevy Aveo, when he failed to stop at the intersection of Powell Road. As a result, Miller’s vehicle struck a 2014 Dodge Ram pickup, driven by Christopher Reed Russell, who was traveling westbound on Powell Road. Post impact, Russell’s truck collided with a utility pole on the north shoulder, where both vehicles came to rest.

Alcohol does not appear to be a contributing factor but charges are pending, according to officials.

ORIGINAL REPORT

BROOKSVILLE – Two teenagers sustained traumatic injuries in a horrific two vehicle crash that occurred at the intersection of Powell Road and Culbreath Road, just after 6:00 p.m. this evening.

According to our sources, the two teenagers, ages 15 and 16, were airlifted to Bayonet Point Hospital with unknown injuries. A third patient was transported by ground to Bayonet Point but his injuries were not listed as traumatic.

The intersection is completely blocked in all directions at this time.

The Florida Highway Patrol is on scene investigating the cause of the accident.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

UPDATE: 12/9/2015, 10:19 P.M. – The Florida Highway Patrol has not released an official report at this time; however, the FHP website is now listing the accident as fatal. We continue to update this story as it develops.

crash 5 crash 4 crash 3 crash 2 Crash 1

Comments
  • @food for thought. It seems you just want to continue with your diatribe. Quite honestly, I am a medical professional with more knowledge regarding the result of tragic accidents than I could have ever wanted to know. Please learn how to begin a sentence, capitalize. This is an excerpt from several of your post “This is a terrible tragedy and it could of been avoided”. That stament should read “could have been avoided”. I won’t stoop to your level of degrading people since it appears you are an angry, bitter person and you are a little slow on the uptake. Since you insist on degrading people maybe you should post your real name.

Monday, 21 December 2015, 8:14 am
  • you dont associate jesus with religion? Have you had your head checked lately? Also telling people to drive safe is not caring about others? Are you drunk and or taken certain medications? Just bc you havent had a car crash recently doesnt mean you shouldnt pay attention when driving. I mean seriously logic escapes you at all avenues.

Sunday, 20 December 2015, 11:16 pm
  • @food for thought, Im not preaching about Jesus, I’m saying YOU need him because you dont care about others feelings. And I do drive safe, uavent had an accident in the last 50 yests.

Monday, 14 December 2015, 1:42 pm
  • Food you as well.

Sunday, 13 December 2015, 6:23 am
  • @food for thought – you need Jesus. Yes we all know we need to be careful but please stop yapping on about this. You werent there when it happened so I beg you in Jesus Name….STOP. the families are reading this. This is not your platform to talk about defensive driving. Please just STOP. Ask Tom and he might let you do an interest piece on defensive driving, accident reconstruction, etc. But please STOP. There are families hurting and they dont need your diatribe right now.

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 8:30 pm
    • a car crash story on an internet forum is not a place to talk about how safe driving is important especially during the holidays but its a place to preach about jesus instead? you have some real serious issues. please do the world a favor and i know you dont want to hear this.. but drive safe.

Monday, 14 December 2015, 12:58 pm
  • @foodforthought, I was the 2nd person on the scene, watching the young driver crying and trying to open the passenger door to free his brother. The young man told me they have never driven on Culbreath, they always took Ayres Rd. , but decided to go to McDonald’s prior to church and continued on Culbreath. Sadly, my first instinct was to smell for booze or weed, there was no indication of either. As I was leaning into the car to check the boy who passed away a couple of cars came barreling down the hill on Powell, through the intersection at a high rate of speed, throwing debris from the accident all over me! Who is to really say that the young driver ran the sign. If you are turning left off of Culbreath onto Powell you are taking a huge risk as the trees on your right block your view of traffic flying down the hill on Powell! He may have stopped and proceeded on. I tend to believe the truck was flying down the hill. As for that driver, he never once came to the young driver or checked the passengers, as a matter of fact he immediately disappeared from the scene. I was there about two hours and he never came back from “a walk” per a resident who was present from the beginning, that, to me sheds a sign of guilt!

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 5:25 pm
    • Thanks for the information sandy. I respect your insight. This was a terrible event and I appreciate you in our community having concern for the matter. All I can say is that Ive seen so many crashes in my prior career I could never tell you how important driving safe is and i have a higher respect and appreciation for life. Any moment on the road could be our last. I can see its obvious some one was speeding if not both parties involved. Its actually near by and I took a drive down there. Some one would have to be going very fast to not be able to get out of the way and thats not even based on the vehicle being totaled out. I dont want to argue people on this I just wish people would talk to their family especially younger drivers even if they act like whatever mom and dad.. that hey be safe some one loves you. I drove a motorcycle for a while and I had to always ride on the defensive. if not for older wiser riders driving that into my train of thought I probably wouldnt be here today.

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 6:09 pm
  • I do have to agree with you food. Any good body shop will be able to tell the exact speed the vehicle was traveling, As well as the initial point of impact. It’s such a shame cars nowadays are made of fiberglass. – Linda

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 4:27 pm
    • thanks linda. have a safe holiday to you and your family.

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 5:59 pm
  • To FoodForThought–I’ve seen a lot of accidents in my day but I’ve never seen that kind of damage to a car unless it was the vehicle that struck it which was traveling at a very high rate of speed. This isn’t the kind of damage from someone hitting the car at the speed limit. The car may have gone through the stop sign, at least that’s what the reports say, but the pickup was the speeding vehicle.

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 3:36 pm
    • Alright tony Ill absolutely give you credit where credit is due on possibility. I was venting but it is reality. This is a terrible tragedy and it could of been avoided and Im shocked people are acting like its no big deal. All our families drive these roads and its not a big demand to ask people to talk to their friends, families and loved ones about safe driving. especially during these holiday times. its not a tall task and unfortunately sometimes people need to be reminded. instead ive got people ranting how its the roads fault. i can pick a few intersections around hernando where you can sit and watch people go through red lights and stop signs nonstop. i keep my dash cam rolling and on the daily I see one or two people on the way to work violating traffic law. All I can say is HCSO has great job security with the amount of people that keep them busy.

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 5:58 pm
  • Thank you @concerned resident and @Buffy for telling it the way it is. These fine young boys were on their way to a church event. The young man that lost his life is the son of a local minister. From what I was told by one of his parishioners that went to the service in Wesley Chapel last night, the minister was right behind them when their car was hit and witnessed the whole thing. No speeding or reckless driving by either driver. Just a missed stop sign on a dark road by a young man. Any of us could do the same. My prayers go out to the family and friends of the fine young man and the driver of the truck that hit them. May he rest in God’s peace…

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 9:48 am
    • I actually meant to say that the minister drove up to the accident right after it happened and witnessed the accident scene as rescue personnel worked the scene. No information on speeding or alcohol involvement was released as an investigation is pending. Any references to these being factors in the crash is purely speculation at this time…

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 10:04 am
    • you are right any of use could but dont hopefully. this is what happens when you dont pay attention. driving is something serious and this event could of been avoided. its awful that it happened.

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 5:51 pm
  • @foodforthought, please just shut up. It was an accident. I dont care about your experience. A fine, upstanding young man is dead. His friend will have to live with that the rest of his life. These boys were headed to church. They’ve driven the road numerous times. I don’t know what caused them to miss the stop sign but they did. Your comments are not helpful so please STOP.

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 12:01 am
    • how polite of you. you seem so concerned. it was not an accident. it wasnt unavoidable. It was a vehicle crash with a fatality. Also it doesnt matter if he was headed to church or any where else. The person went through a stop sign and if that didnt happen a young man wouldnt be dead. Instead people want to blame it on the geographical location. You seem to let logic escape you. People fail to pay attention when driving and that sometimes results in these incidents. You even say how familiar he was with the road to give him credibility to running the stop sign. Think about how insane that sounds. He was so familiar with the road that he wasnt familiar that he had to stop at the stop sign? Do you even think before you start typing? My point is was and has been its a terrible event and that we all should pay attention when driving and use caution. Only other bad drivers will try to argue that. so no I will not agree with you that this incident is justifiable on any level.

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 5:48 pm
  • That intersection has been the scene of so many tragedies. I lived off husek and travelled culbreath many times . The intersection needs to be expanded. The problem is that there is a wilderness camp, two actually. They want to keep it as rural as possible.

Friday, 11 December 2015, 4:18 pm
    • yeah that camp. thats the real problem. all these flawless drivers. if it was not for the evil bad camp we wouldnt have people getting killed. its special magical powers force people to ignore stop signs and speed. glad you figured it out. maybe you should forward that information to the county so they can send out some special agents to fix that.

Friday, 11 December 2015, 9:58 pm
      • Yes, because all the people commenting about what a horrible intersection that is and how accidents happen there all the time means nothing. A small compact car missing a stop sign at a dark intersection and being broadsided by a pickup truck going 50 miles an hour could not cause that kind of damage says the expert. It must be intentional homicide.
        Prayers go out to the family. Thankfully for all involved, the family is much more forgiving than “expert accident reconstructionists” on the internet are.

Friday, 11 December 2015, 11:13 pm
        • you blame it on the road and not the driver. sounds logical. its not the driver going through a stop sign and into oncoming traffic. its not about paying attention. its the fault of the road. btw its not an accident its a crash with a fatality. some one is dead because some one was not paying attention. driving should not be taken lightly. This could of been avoided. Ignore that fact all you want.

Saturday, 12 December 2015, 5:34 pm
  • How many times have they MISSED the stop sign
    People gamble with their lives every minute on these roads
    Very sad outcome this time

Friday, 11 December 2015, 3:46 pm
    • according to the person above its like an oops i missed this stop sign at a high rate of speed and killed some one. its like oh well. almost as bad as when you forget someones birthday.

Friday, 11 December 2015, 9:52 pm
  • Every one can say all the prayers they want and thats all fine and nice but not one comment about how its important to talk to your kids or friends about driving safe. In a prior job I drove for years about 12 solid hours a day. Ive had people go through lights signs etc. and never once during a collision was I sent to a hospital for emergency care. The damage and injuries speak highly for the speed involved considering it was a 2014 dodge truck. Ive been hit center drivers side, rear ended and head on. There are so many terrible drivers out there. Vehicles are not a toy and some one that recklessly driving can murder some one. Thats right I didnt say accident. Car crashes where someone is doing triple digits and blowing through stop signs into oncoming traffic is deadly suicidal behavior. I know I might hear how heartless I sound but that is and was some ones child that was killed and only people with a guilty conscience will defend a person that drives that fast with no consideration for the law and with no regard for human human life. This event was a horrible tragedy that could of been avoided. My sincere consideration to all families involved.

Thursday, 10 December 2015, 11:19 pm
    • You have absolutely no idea how fast the drivers involved were going unless you actually witnessed this. No where in this story does it say that speed was a factor. Or blatant reckless driving. Yes. A stop sign was missed. But that doesn’t automatically translate into anything blatantly reckless. And, believe me, I’m one who thinks that drivers down here are terrible. But I also recognize that sometimes accidents happen.

Friday, 11 December 2015, 6:43 am
      • I worked traffic crashes for years. Ive seen more than I care to of ever seen. I had to take courses that were math related to figure out a variety of factors from length of skid to depth of impact on certain materials. I also had to use software to determine other data. Given the vehicles, the obvious massive amount of damage and a variety of other conditions ie there was a fatality from severe trauma. I doubt this individual was doing the speed limit or even near it. This person didnt miss the stop sign. Thats word play. The person went through it with reckless disregard for human life at a high rate of speed. Thats a solid fact. You say it wasnt reckless driving but some one was killed from a vehicle that was operated at a high rate of speed that violated multiple laws which unless you are blind or slightly impaired on a cognitive level, is extremely obvious. Trying to provide some form of support for the person that broke laws and resulted in some ones child being killed is shameful.

Friday, 11 December 2015, 9:47 pm
        • Actually, drawing conclusions without being privy to all the information and evidence is irresponsible and shameful. And I never said anything about it not being reckless. I said the story doesn’t identify any reckless behavior. However, you have, again, irresponsibly and repeatedly cited reckless behavior, triple digit speeds, blah, blah, blah. Frankly, from reading your posts, it’s obvious you are no expert but instead a blow hard. What you need to do is get a clue. I’ll wait to see what the real experts have to say. Have a nice day.

Friday, 11 December 2015, 10:46 pm
  • Prayers go out to the family of the teen who died. Such a young life taken away. Teens need to be more responsible behind the wheel. Things happen in a split second.

Thursday, 10 December 2015, 7:25 pm
  • Tragic. Thoughts and prayers to the family. From the fathers Facebook.

Thursday, 10 December 2015, 6:18 pm
  • Such a sad story. 🙁
    Prayers to all involved.

Thursday, 10 December 2015, 12:34 pm
  • God Bless the family’s of all the boys . Lord please put your loving hands on the two boys that lived also on the man from the truck in the Jesus name Amen

Thursday, 10 December 2015, 12:32 pm
  • Prayers to this young man’s family. Such a tragedy. For the other two young men prayers for a speedy recovery.

Thursday, 10 December 2015, 10:19 am
  • Prayers for the family and the 2 other kids and friends. Life was too short for this kid. So sad.

Thursday, 10 December 2015, 9:30 am