Three Teens Attacked by Pit Bulls While Walking Home From School

BROOKSVILLE – Just after 3:00 p.m. today, RNRF received reports of a Pit Bull attack on Orlando Street near Lauderdale Street. After arriving on the scene, we spoke to three teenage boys who say they were walking home from Nature Coast High School, when a large Pit Bull and what appeared to be mix breed Pit attacked them.

While we were interviewing the victims, the same two dogs appeared through an opening in a fence at 16070 Lauderdale Street and began to charge towards us in an aggressive manor. After taking cover, the dogs retreated back into the yard of the same residence.

Minutes later, an Animal Control Officer arrived on the scene, prompting the dogs to charge after her truck.

The victims did not sustain serious injuries but they are concerned for their future safety and the safety of smaller children who may wander by the property.

The fence surrounding the residence appeared tattered and large openings riddled the entire perimeter. There were several signs attached to the fence stating “Beware of Dog” and “No Trespassing.”

It is unknown if there was anyone home at the time of the attacks.

A few weeks ago, a 7-year-old boy was mauled by a stray Pit Bull in the area of Newhope Road and Spring Hill Drive. An official report was never made but sources say the child sustained severe bites to the face and was transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital for treatment.

It is believed the attack occurred after the victim’s family brought the stray animal in from the streets.

Bite 1 Bite 2 bite 3 Bite 4 bite 5

Comments
  • i’m all for the dogs. but; these two look pretty aggressive; especially the brown male. i’ll bet they’re kept outside all day in the 95 degree heat. i’d be afraid of them. these are mean dogs.

Tuesday, 1 September 2015, 12:22 am
  • Aaaa yeah, have u every walked in a home where meth lab exist, Nothing u can do with it and there is no choice but to tear it down.

Monday, 31 August 2015, 11:33 am
  • @boschanps um excuse me that is my neighborhood you’re talking about. Yes there may be some meth heads out here. Just an f.y.i for you there are methods in every neighborhood including the gated communities..So I don’t know where you get off saying bulldoze the neighborhood.. There are great people in this neighborhood!!

Monday, 31 August 2015, 7:39 am
  • Sad for the dogs…i want to know what will be done to the people that lives behind that raggedy fence, will they still be able to get away with what they have done

Monday, 31 August 2015, 7:04 am
  • Just bulldoze that meth wannabe gangstas neighborhood…that area is a pit filled with white trash…no respect for anyone of themselves….truth hurts…sorry…

Monday, 31 August 2015, 6:44 am
  • @Billy Williams its time they clean up the trash on that corner!! It’s sad his dogs are treated that way and even sadder that they live ve behind that shanty of a fence. They are trouble for this neighborhood. Those dogs always being out and mis treated should be the last straw for the sheriff and animal control. I’m just smh over all this.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 11:31 pm
  • I have had a pitbull in my neighborhood chase me when I was walking my dogs numerous times. I called animal control and they did nothing. I then was called by my neighbor and told that the pitbull was after my daughter while she was walking my dogs. That was the last straw. I called animal control for the fourth time and told them I was going to get a gun and take matters into my own hands if they will not take action and I was also going to call “News On Your Side” to let them know what was going on here in Hernando County with animal control before a child got mauled! Well low and behold there was a knock on my door a short time later (it was animal control) saying that they gave the owners citations, for not having proper shots or a dog license. They could not prove the dog was running around the neighborhood. They said next time I saw the dog loose I was to take a picture of it out of its yard…..yea right…. while I was trying to save my two dogs and keep from getting mauled myself(kicking the dog and hitting the dog with a club I now carry when walking my dogs). Thank Goodness the people eventually moved away! This was not the first time I was chased by that breed of dog. They are a menace and most of them that I have come in contact with are very aggressive.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 8:11 pm
  • I live in this neighborhood and there are many Pitbulls here. Most are dumps and are very aggressive due to
    lack of food and training. I never blame the dogs as they have to go by instinct. Yes,there are small children living in this home.
    Keep in mind that all intact male(regardless of breed), can become aggressive.

Sunday, 30 August 2015, 2:14 am
  • Hypothetically. The ACO had the right to grab a pole and “catch” the dogs. She should have called for back up or a police officer for assistant. It really all depends on what sort of agency the ACO works for. I’m familiar with the a police department ran Animal Control and that’s what’s we would have done. In reality, it’s the ACO doing for the child being attacked. She should have done her job and taken the dogs right there.

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 8:13 pm
  • So what im understanding is if my dogs were to attack somebody just don’t open the door and nothing happens I mean is it going to take a child dying for something to happen animal control officers had to get in there vehicle they didn’t have the right to shoot them? I feel the owners of the dog are to be responsible for what they did to those kids and those kids walk that way every day so they have to be in fear that isn’t fair maybe those kids need to carry a stun gun with them and stun gun the dogs so tell me is it fair that these kids going to school to get an education have to fear for their lives?

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 6:34 pm
  • I find people fascinating. Everyone is so easily influenced with some simple yet fancy wording. I personally worked for animal control for 3 years in an area over ridden by stray dogs. Yes, many of which who are American Pit Bull Terriers cross breeds. However, also German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever, and many more cross breeds. I spent 2 years working with agression dogs. Americans judge a breed based on what’s publicized. Has anyone stopped for one minute and questioned why no other attacks are shown on social media sites, news channels, etc. I personally seen a pack of Pugs attack a Pitbull for absolutely no reason. The next day they turned on eachother and killed 2 senior Pugs. I have worked with a Labrador who had attacked the next door neighbor. Friendly dog. She had been terrorizing him. I have been bitten by a Collie mix. I have also been bitten by a terrified Pitbull mix who had been beaten most of his life and had an embedded collar. After 3 months I was able to have the dog adopted out to a loving home. 6 years later, no problems. When i wpuld adopt a pitbull to a family with small children i wpuld actually do a demonstration for the parents. I would play roughly with the dog and bite its ear. If i felt at all threatened i wouldnt let them adopt. I personally have am 8 year old Pitbull and 4 year old GERMAN Shepherd. Guess what? Not once have my dogs turned on me. They’re like children. They act out, you show loving dominance. Dogs unconditionally love people unless their trust is broken. The biggest problem with Pitbull and any breed that has a bad reputation is simply that. We humans feel we have the power. We force these creatures to do what we want no matter how terrible it is to the dog. An animals instinct is not to kill another animal unless it feels threatened. We force these dogs to attack another. The problem with society now is the lack of manners weve taught our children. I am 23. If i were to walk up to a strange dog and pet it my mother would swat my arm. Guess what guys! I ask before petting any animals I come across. Not all dogs want to be pet. My first year with animal control, some high school students were ticketed for kicking a Pitbull puppy half to death. A 6 month old puppy who had done nothing wrong. Thankfully she survived. Wed like to think the world is clean cut but it’s not. I witnessed those kids kicking her for no reason..just because her breed. Their parents(to save face) claimed she advanced on them. I personally have had my dogs antagonozed through my front fence. Yes, my dogs barked at the children throwing rocks at them. I didnt spray my dogs. I sprayed the children with a water hose. They never came back. Don’t always believe what you hear is one of the biggest lessons we learn in life yet we never follow it. Just because the news says one thing doesn’t mean it’s the truth.

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 5:47 pm
    • Thank you for your comoment I have a pitbull he weighs almost 90lbs and he has slept with my daughter or myself for 4 years his whole life he plays with her eats with her swims with her and protects her,I’ve owned pitbulls my whole life and they are the sweetest smartest dogs ive ever owned I’ve had every color shape n size pitbull from different parts of Florida and not one time has one ever ever ever turned on me or my kids,but now I have a problem maybe you could possibly help me with i have 2 cats and 1male pitbull and my neighbor has a male and female pitbull they also are nice we never have a problem with there’s either,but down the road the people have 2 male pitbulls (no collars) that run together about 70-80lbs a piece and they are always in my n my neighbors yard n they seem vicious ive asked the owners multiplease times to contain they’re dogs im altar 8 mths pregnant n i can not even walk my dog (whose always on a leash,harness,and collar with tags)in my own yard not to mention down the road because the 2 pits come at us every ti me n i dont want them tag teaming my dog n killing him he doesn’t even know what fighting is,n then they both almost killed my cat today thank god he got away from the one but then they had him pinned up a tree and this is all in my freaking yard, they wuda mauled my poor baby…n me being 8 mths pregnant this is going to send me into labor i called animal control n they’ve done nothing what do I do before it’s too late…

Sunday, 23 October 2016, 10:52 am
  • The only people that need mean dogs are the Police….
    They shouldn’t have mean dogs ether, but we all know why sometimes their dogs need to be aggressive,

That’s why I have a gun, not a dog…. If you want to protect your self and your property, get a Gun, Camera system and a good alarm…

I never had my alarm crap in my yard yet!!!!

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 5:22 pm
  • The story is incomplete,did animal control take the dogs,is it being investigated,whats the point of the story.

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 4:43 pm
  • Atts my assumption would be they are doing nothing.

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 4:43 pm
  • What is animal control doing about it????

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 3:35 pm
  • Plain and simple, fine the owners who own these dogs. I don’t care what kind of dogs they are, contain them or don’t own them. It’s not fair to pedestrians to risk their lives.

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 2:34 pm
  • Shoot them all

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 2:24 pm
  • I have always like dogs but if one ever attacked me while walking and I had no other out I would not hesitate to shoot it.

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 1:42 pm
  • Print your own fliers & raise awareness in your community! http://www.daxtonsfriends.com/print-your-own-fliers/

Don’t believe pit bull propaganda. It is NOT “all how you raise them” http://www.daxtonsfriends.com/canine-myths-2/

Pit bull attack victims tell their stories: http://www.daxtonsfriends.com/victims-stories/

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 1:09 pm
  • I cannot STAND pit owners/defenders that are all “hate the owners not the breed” – biggest load of NONSENSE! Statistics don’t lie and 95% of dog attacks and fatalities are PITBULL. You telling me thst irresponsible, abusive pet owners ONLY own pittbulls? Because that’s the only thing that would support those numbers. Wake up people. Just bc some idiot wants to own a lion, the rest of the public should not be put in danger and subjected to their idiocy and irresponsibility. These beasts attacked CHILDREN and all any of you can say is “they MUST have been tormenting the dogs, they had it coming”. You DISGUST me, and I can’t wait until people get tired of hearing about babies being mauled to death and get rid of these filthy animals AND their owners because they’re usually trash too! That is all!!

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 9:05 am
  • But that’s such a well maintained neighborhood

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 8:03 am
  • I have 2 pits and both are sweet as can be. They have both been been raised with my 3 children. It’s all how they are raised. Maybe they should fix their fence so the dogs can’t get out. Doesn’t sound like this is the first time they’ve had a problem.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 11:44 pm
  • Maybe we should start putting down the owners instead of the dogs.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 11:35 pm
  • Well Eva Walker, my daughter and grandchild walk past there every day and my daughter says she’s scared s******s every time she gets near your property. ******************************************************And if Animal Services is paying attention here you need to listen to Billy Williams and see if these dog’s are being neglected.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 11:33 pm
  • You go billy Williams, take pictures if you can.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 10:20 pm
  • That fence is an eyesore and has been for years and it is supposed to be illegal to have a fence surrounding your whole house. The people there hate cops and do what ever they please.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 10:09 pm
  • It’s not the dogs fault…blame the wigger owners…You’re nothing…so save the comments and BS….and your friends are NOTHING just like you…

Friday, 28 August 2015, 9:58 pm
  • It doesn’t matter what kind of dogs they are, except they are UNrestrained dogs. Unrestrained dogs that menace me or my kids on a public street become dead dogs. Fix the fence.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 9:10 pm
  • I couldn’t get away from them its not the dogs it the owner raising them

Friday, 28 August 2015, 8:59 pm
  • Kill em before they hurt more kids!

Friday, 28 August 2015, 8:54 pm
  • Im happy the children are ok. The fence is an eye sore and the owner should be fined and forced the fix that damn fence if they won’t to keep the dogs or any others. And now to the owners neglect the dogs could be urbanized, what a shame for all the children in that location and for the dogs

Friday, 28 August 2015, 7:36 pm
  • Its all on how they arw raised…and kate not all Pits are one size…thats,like saying all chinese people are short. Google Hulk the pitbull

Friday, 28 August 2015, 7:30 pm
  • Its definitely the owners I personally called the animal control on those exact dogs and those exact owners. And now this.

The brown one tore up everything in our yards even our garbage cans. He would guard peoples front doors so they couldnt get out and was being vicious to everyone. Animal control did nada.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 7:17 pm
  • I agree that a breed should not be labeled mean just because of the breed. I have raised several breeds that would be considered mean. I also always respected the fact that they had different instincts than perhaps a golden retriever and, although they were friendly, never left them unattended or unsecured. People who choose to own these breeds have the responsibility to raise them kindly, respectfully and understand that you can never trust their reaction if they feel they, their property or owner as threatened. They will react. It is the owners responsibility to have control of their dogs regardless of the breed.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 7:05 pm
  • WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE NOW what kind of dogs they are? I think everyone should be more concerned about the kids getting to and from school. Google dog bites in state of FLORIDA , IT GIVES YOU STATISTICS GOING BACK TO 2005, DEATHS FROM DOG BITES , most of deaths were from pit bulls. One is too many but there are a lot more. Glad the kids are ok and thank you TOM FOR MAKING US AWARE. GLAD YOU ARE OK AS WELL.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 6:57 pm
  • We blame parents for their out of control kids its the same with ALL BREEDS,children and dogs. They live what they learn.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 6:57 pm
  • I truly believe it’s how they are raised…I have a pit bull and she is not aggressive at all unless u enter my home with out is here or cone at myself or kids and husband aggressively….it’s all how u raise them a little dog could be just as aggressive if u raise them that way

Friday, 28 August 2015, 6:30 pm
  • I’m the owner of the dogs and I have five kids from ages 3 to 13 years old and they are not harmful at all. I’ve never had any issues with them tell this. There has to be more to this then what I was told, I still have them both here with me and was not taken away.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 6:30 pm
  • It’s not breed it’s all how the owner trained the dogs. If you train them to attack people what do you think they are going to do…attack people. Stop blaming the breed. Any dog can mutilate a child. I know someone’s kid that got bit in the face by their own dog and had to have stitches from a chihuahua. Plus dogs are animals if they feel treated the only way to defend their selves is to attack someone by biting them. So please people stop blaming the breed blame the people that rase the dog. All dogs have teeth and can bite.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 6:14 pm
  • Agreed Kathy Agreed

Friday, 28 August 2015, 5:59 pm
  • All dog bites are reported to the Health Dept .

Friday, 28 August 2015, 5:45 pm
  • I used to live in that neighborhood when I was a teen. That house always had dogs the came after people. We didn’t have RNRF to report it to,lol

Friday, 28 August 2015, 5:40 pm
  • Not all pitbulls are bad. I have 3 of them and they think they are lap dogs. It the owners who make they nasty.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 5:23 pm
  • Fyi, in this report it stated that a child was mauled by Pitt bull and it wasn’t reported to police but the child was as stated brought to hospital but it is mandated that hospital report dog bites so not sure what to belive also I lived on spring hill dr for 7 years and I have a classic bully and kids would walk by my house and just antagonize my dog so I am sure they did the same to these other dogs, yes it looks like they are a mixed breed, to me bulldog and pitt. So please people do not judge these dogs kids can be mean also.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 5:22 pm
    • you are very correct . but i am very close to this situation and i’m sad to say that those dogs need to be put down . BUT IT’S NOT THERE FAULT!!!!!!!

Saturday, 29 August 2015, 5:43 pm
  • It’s the owner not the Brees of dog my very good friend has a pitbull & he’s the sweetest dog I’ve ever met wouldn’t hurt anything he’s scared of Walmart bags . So check yourself IT’S THE OWNER !

Friday, 28 August 2015, 5:07 pm
    • i live on fruitville st. and walk by there all the time . those dogs get left out in the rain tied or caged up and whinning all the time . it’s the owners fault . i try not to be a rat but this is BS ! the owners need investigated . peoplr need to take better care of dogs . treat me like crap and i’m gonna get dangerous too ! and by the way , my name is billy williams if someone has a problem with my statement !

Friday, 28 August 2015, 9:41 pm
  • Pit bulls are shorter than both of those dogs and don’t weigh anymore than 90-95 pounds. both of those dogs are too large to be pit bulls. Mixes, maybe, but not pit bulls. Please don’t label dogs incorrectly.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 5:06 pm
  • But we should protect this breed of dog because they are so loving.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 4:58 pm
    • A pit bull can be a wonderful dog, stop with your ignorant comments.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 6:48 pm
      • A pit bull can be a wonderful dog until it bites your face off. Stop with the ignorant comments. Many “loving” pits turn on their owners and their loved ones. When a mini poodle turns, people don’t die.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 9:19 pm