Toddler Drowns in Lake After Wandering Away from Port Richey Home

UPDATE: 3/12/2018, 12:02 P.M. – Officials say a 2-year-old girl was playing in the lanai located at the rear of the residence. They believed the top lock of the entrance/exit door was locked. Approximately 3 to 5 minutes later the child’s aunt observed the child floating in the lake behind the residence. The child floated 2 houses to the north where she was pulled from the lake and CPR was started. PSO and Fire Rescue continued CPR as the child was transported to an area hospital. Upon Arrival at the hospital the child regained a pulse and is being flown to All Children’s Hospital where she later passed away. This is being investigated, preliminarily as an accident.

PORT RICHEY (PASCO) – The Sheriff’s Office is investigating the drowning of a 2-year-old child who wandered away from a residence on Willow Drive.

The investigation began just before 1:00 p.m., after officials say the toddler managed to leave the residence through a lanai at the 10200 block of Willow Drive and was later found floating in a nearby lake.

The child was transported to an area hospital for treatment.

The child’s condition is unknown at this time.

Officials say the incident appears to be accidental.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

Comments
  • RIP, little one

Tuesday, 13 March 2018, 3:14 pm
  • thanks for removing my comment tom, did it hit a soar spot.

Monday, 12 March 2018, 1:38 pm
  • prayers to the little girl, and her family. very to young to leave this earth, but she is in a better place now. by the way tom , looked up drown and drowned, they both mean the same thing, the person has passed. please do not rely on a definition from one source.

Monday, 12 March 2018, 1:28 pm
  • Prayers for this family and their hearts. God had to have a reason for your little one’s life to join him in heaven. She must be very important to him, please know this.

Monday, 12 March 2018, 12:41 pm
  • Prayers for the little one and her family…

Monday, 12 March 2018, 8:37 am
  • ME!!! LOL! Spell or typo Correction, WELL said

Monday, 12 March 2018, 3:57 am
  • ME!!! GO…….. GO ME!!!!!! Spot on wall said

Monday, 12 March 2018, 3:55 am
  • Does anyone know how this poor baby is? Hugs and prayers to this baby’s family. 💔

Monday, 12 March 2018, 1:43 am
    • Unfortunately, she passed away.

Monday, 12 March 2018, 9:31 am
  • Hey, No Merci & ALL the other rude people on this site, if you do not care for this sites grammer or spelling then please either keep it to yourself or just don’t come back on here!!! I get SO annoyed by people thinking it’s a priority to correct the spelling and grammer of the articles. He gives us the local news, be thankful, I’m thankful! Otherwise we wouldn’t have half a clue wtf goes on around here!!!!! So keep your rude comments to yourself !!!

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 10:15 pm
    • Amen!!!!! I agree!!!

Monday, 12 March 2018, 1:40 am
    • I didn’t mean it to be rude, you dickweed! Now, calm down and STFU.

Monday, 12 March 2018, 5:18 am
  • It just hurts to read these stories.

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 8:46 pm
  • I just can’t imagine….well, I guess I can. How horrible for this baby and the family. Even in a store, I hooked a dog leash to the back buckle of my toddler’s pants to keep her close. Little ones are just so fast, faster than you can think.

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 7:58 pm
    • A dog leash? We’re you raising and animal?

Monday, 12 March 2018, 2:53 pm
    • I don’t blame you one bit for using a dog leash on your little one when you are in a store, especially in a grocery store or a store as large as Walmart. They do have ones that are specifically made for kids, but, I guess the dog leash does the trick. Don’t pay attention to people that are so ignorant that they have to ask, “are you raising a child or an animal”, it’s your grandbaby and you do whatever you want to keep her safe!

Monday, 12 March 2018, 9:19 pm
  • My heart is breaking for everyone involved 😥🙏

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 7:42 pm
  • This story is worded wrong. The heading says “drowned”. The story says child is in the hospital in an unknown condition. To me, drowned always meant the person is dead. Prayers for this poor little one.

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 7:37 pm

Monday, 12 March 2018, 5:20 am
  • Prayers for this sweet baby and their family… I can’t even fathom how the parents feel.. Don’t judge just prayers

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 6:23 pm
  • These tragedies always rip my heart out always, Jen you are right though God blessed me with 2 boys and even my fifteen-year-old I still don’t like letting him out of my sight you do not let them out of your sight at the age of 2 you just can’t do it there too quick, and as anyone here knows that’s had children when they’re that age how quick they can be out of your sight especially when you’re out in store’s xcetera I remember my older one getting free for a split-second from us in a bell store and hiding in the middle of a circular clothes rack and we had a half of a damn heart attack his mother and I until we found him and it took one second for him to disappear into the clothing rack same scenario you can’t take your eyes off of them at that age how very sad

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 5:43 pm
  • Prayers for the baby and its famil

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 4:40 pm
  • sending prayers your way to the whole family.

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 4:33 pm
  • Prayers for the poor baby, but accident my ass. I have a 2 yr old. U just don’t let them out of ur sight EVER!!!!!! It’s not that hard.

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 4:26 pm
    • Just prayers is all that’s needed here. God Bless.

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 6:25 pm
    • Jen, you’re an awful person for even saying that. I know the father personally, and was away at duty for national guard all weekend. Children can get out of site so quickly. Why don’t you have some sympathy instead of putting someone down in the situation. People like you make me sick. I’m sure the parents and siblings are already blaming themselves, the last thing they need is someone they don’t know passing judgment because you have nothing better to do with your life.

Monday, 12 March 2018, 7:27 am
    • I have known the father of this child for years. Their baby girl was the world to them, they are such good, doting parents. As a parent you would think you would understand how quick things happen. I think most of us a parents have a story or 2 about how out children slipped away from us and our hearts went into our stomach in the few seconds it took to find them. Any one of us could have had this happen to us and don’t for a second think you are the exception. Count your blessings that you have not had to experience this and pray that in the future you never have to experience anything even remotely close to what they must be going through. I am sorry for you that you are such a closed minded person. My heart breaks for them and I hope they don’t see your negative comments.

Monday, 12 March 2018, 7:30 am
    • This was not an accident. This was adults failing to watch their child.

Monday, 12 March 2018, 2:51 pm
      • An adult should have failed to watch you as a child.

Monday, 12 March 2018, 3:58 pm
      • So, the parents purposely neglected their child in order for her to suffer this fate? You must be actively involved in the investigation, right? Or do you just not understand the definition of the word ‘accident?’

Monday, 19 March 2018, 2:54 pm
  • Prayers for all

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 4:07 pm
  • Prayers for the baby and family! Very sad.

Sunday, 11 March 2018, 3:56 pm