Toddler Found Unresponsive on Pine Island, Possible Drowning

UDPATE: 5/12/2017, 12:21 P.M. – According to a spokesperson for the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office, the child was airlifted to a trauma center as a precautionary measure. Officials say the incident appears to be accidental at this time.

WEEKI WACHEE – Fire Rescue is on the scene of a possible drowning at Pine Island Park, where sources say a 3-year-old boy was found floating in the water and was unconscious and not breathing.

There are unconfirmed reports that bystanders performed CPR and resuscitated the toddler.

Bayflite is en route to airlift the child a trauma center for treatment.

More on this story as it develops.

Comments
    PegE

Sunday, 21 May 2017, 8:27 am
  • Tom… Any further news on this story? Would like to know how the child is doing. Prayers to the family

Wednesday, 17 May 2017, 9:38 am
      • Thank you, Tom. That’s what we wanted to hear!

Wednesday, 17 May 2017, 11:58 am
  • Dear A Mason,
    If you call that an update you are sorely lacking in an understanding of the term!
    You simply stated the airlift was a “precautionary measure.”
    Does that mean the child is alive and well, in a coma, or dead??
    Sorry to be so crass, but some of us actually care!

Monday, 15 May 2017, 1:28 pm
  • Can we ever get the conclusion of a story? Is this little guy ok? PLEASE start doing a better job of updating your news. I mostly get updates from other news sources or your subscribers in the comment section of your stories. Surely you can do better then that.

Monday, 15 May 2017, 9:49 am
  • im jelly bean back off..

Friday, 12 May 2017, 1:32 pm
  • Any update Tom??

Friday, 12 May 2017, 12:08 pm
  • Prayers..Kids are like lightning and this is why we take the extra safety measures if applicable .This story has been a deep pain and could’ve been mine in 2002 when my then 3 yr old got out of my sight at a charity volleyball tournament I was playing in at bucbay ,when he managed his way up to the top of Pirates slide .His screaming tantrum Cuz they refused him down it obviously and AMAZING LIFE JACKET saved the day and his life.He even knew how to swim by 2 but safety measures people. ..although such thing as a DRY DROWNING ..can happen anytime and anyone !! Love & prayers,352mom

Friday, 12 May 2017, 11:54 am
  • There is no indication of how long this baby was underwater, perhaps no one knows. The fact that there has been no update, however, does not bode well for good news! Prayers for this family. ⚘

Friday, 12 May 2017, 10:19 am
  • Praying for them…I have 4 daughters and we are always there at pine island…I try my best to keep my eyes on them like Hawks but life is happening​ all around you…you turn for a moment. I’m praying so hard for this family and that baby..God bless you all

Friday, 12 May 2017, 9:11 am
  • Prayers for this poor little boy. I hope he makes a full recovery ?

Friday, 12 May 2017, 6:52 am
  • Oh my God please let this child be ok !!!! I fear for my own child every time we go near any water. There is no one at fault here so let’s all just pray for the child and family of this horrible accident. Life jackets always. My son hates to wear it but he WONT be aloud in the water.

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 10:52 pm
  • Prayers for the family..and boy very sad.

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 10:19 pm
  • Prayers for this baby & the family.

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 9:57 pm
  • So Sad ..It Only Takes a Blink of the eye.. Please wear Life Jackets in the water…

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 9:39 pm
  • hopefully there is a positive update to this situation.

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 8:30 pm
  • Tom…please update us when possible! Prayers all the way around!

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 8:24 pm
  • So very sad keep life jackets on your little ones it only takes a minute to loose sight of them near the water

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 8:21 pm
  • Before everybody starts blaming in the family a couple years back my aunt and my uncle we’re at Budd Lake in northern New Jersey with their three-year-old little boy Edward the mother was holding his hand and the father was holding his hand the father had in his left hand a little inflatable ball they were only in maybe three feet of water and the little boy Edward grabbed the ball releasing his mom and dad’s hand they watched him for a minute as he was happily playing with the ball and he threw the ball towards his mom and dad and as they went to catch it he went down there was a hole underwater it went from Two and a Half 3 feet to 10 feet now my aunt and uncle had lived on this Lake for many years and thought they knew every inch of the water needless to say Edward was found 45 minutes later his mom Nancy was a nurse a trauma nurse they were Beyond frantic inconsolable as one of the police officers pulled his lifeless body from the lake he was 35 yards from where they had been standing and Budd Lake has a current and it dragged him in Nancy tried in vain to save him and they were unable to he was flown to University Hospital in Newark where he was pronounced Dead on Arrival. Nancy and Edward senior we’re the best parents they had longed for this child after 15 years of fertility treatments and many miscarriages they had their precious little boy and in an instant he was gone and I can tell you that they have never recovered I was pregnant at the time with my son Anthony and I remember my mother saying she didn’t want me attending the services because he looked like a little angel in that casket it would be far too hard for Nancy and Edward to look at my stomach knowing that I was giving life when they had just lost one. I pray that this child somehow manages to survive and I pray for their families because I know how difficult this can be.

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 8:20 pm
    • technically anything under the water would be considered a deviation or a hole as you stated water does not form above the ground and defy gravity generally unless its frozen.. that pretty much common knowledge. . how a lake works it s a hole filled with water..

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 8:37 pm
      • Shut up Food, show some common sense and deceny. Sorry to the above person and the loss of a child in a lake. Sorry for Foodforthought, post. Hope and prayers for this young child at Pine Island.

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 10:25 pm
    • So sorry for your aunt and uncle’s loss. Your whole family actually. So sad.

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 9:47 pm
  • Prayers for him and family

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 7:43 pm
  • This breaks my heart. Prayers going to the little one .

Thursday, 11 May 2017, 7:21 pm