; ;

Toddler Hospitalized After Being Mauled by Aggressive Pit Bull Mix

BROOKSVILLE – There are reports that a toddler has been mauled by an aggressive Pit Bull mix in the at a residence on Boxwood Street.

According to sources, Fire Rescue responded to 6383 Boxwood Street after a 3-year-old child was bitten on the head and face. The child has been transported to a local hospital for treatment.

Animal Control Officers and Deputies are attempting to capture the animal at this time.

We will bring more on the child’s condition if new information develops.

Comments
  • You know if all you actually looked up facts instead of sitting on Facebook and passing judgement you would clearly find evidence that Lab attacks YES LAB ATTACKS are the number one dog know for fatal bites! Now at least you kids have got some real education today!

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 4:07 pm
    • LOL get real, pits cause more deaths than any other breed. Where is your proof? I have read many published hospital studies that show pit bulls account for well over half of dog induced injuries requiring surgical intervention, as well as injuries to multiple areas of the body (ie sustained attack), ocular scalp and throat injuries, greater risk of complications, you name it. Heads of plastic surgery departments at childrens hospitals across the nation have spoken out about their experiences, and how pits are the ones that cause the severest injuries, and send in the most patients. You can look these studies up yourself, they are on the internet.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 11:05 pm
  • Pit Bulls should be outlawed, to many times we hear I have one but it’s friendly and then it attacks someone!!
    Prayers for this child!

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 1:27 pm
    • Pray tell, what does a drug sniffing dog (not a real police k9) have to do with this news story?

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 11:06 pm
  • Sure use a pit bull picture for every dog attack, feed the fire. Owning a pit or strong breed also comes a responsibility. I have a yorkie that will go after children. So when children come over, I put her away. I also own a pit bull. He’s friendly and I can take him everywhere. He’s also neutered which makes a huge difference. Come into our home uninvited and he will protect. Where were the parents? Who was watching the child? Who was the owner of the dog? I will say this again, strong dog breeds need powerful owners, it is a responsibility. If you aren’t going to be responsible you have absolutely no reason owning one. That’s how people get hurt. This should have never happened if everyone did their job.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 10:19 am
    • Glad you were smart enough to neuter your Pit..Unfortunately neutering a dog DOESN’T guarantee any aggression will be removed also! Regarding the comment regarding your Yorkie is vicious and needs putting away when children visit..MASSIVE difference between your Yorkie and Pit.. Genetic structure of your Pit would literally Severely if not fatally kill a child versus your Yorkie would require some bandaids but at worst maybe a few stitches,. Taking your Pit “everywhere ” in public doesn’t guarantee it will never suddenly “turn/snap” or violently attack. Lucky for you it hasn’t happened yet but your ignorance is astounding because when they do “snap” it will happen with such force you’ll be totally in shock unable to react.. Owning this breed of dog is YOUR choice but forcing your choice on innocent people isn’t right.

Thursday, 5 October 2017, 4:32 pm
    • AGREED!! MY WEINER DOG WILL TEAR YOU UP BUT WE HAVE MANY PIT BULLS IN MY FAMILY THAT ARE SUPER COOL AND FRIENDLY CREAMPUFFS. DEPENDS ON HOW THEY’RE RAISED. ALL DOGS SHOULD BE MONITORED AROUND CHILDREN. CHILDREN MOVE FAST AND DO THINGS BY ACCIDENT TO DOGS AND DOGS REACT.

Saturday, 7 October 2017, 1:49 am
  • so some dogs maul some people, all in separate instances. so ban them right?

WHAT ABOUT BANNING YOUR GUNS?

common sense ain’t cheap to some people

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 7:49 am
    • Why should my guns be banned? I have owned one kind of gun or another for over 60 years, and NOT A SINGLE ONE has EVER attacked or injured ANYONE!!

Thursday, 5 October 2017, 11:26 am
  • Poor kid. 🙁 Prayers for the little guy.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 5:02 am
  • Just curious, was the dog an unfixed male? A female w/pups?

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 10:17 pm
  • These pit bulls needs to be put down i hope i dont come across one outlaw them like in Davey County

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 10:02 pm
  • How convenient your “stock” pic is of a dog in attack mode with his mouth wide open, bearing his teeth. Sell a lot of commercial ads that way? Glad you admitted you weren’t even there to get any real facts. My first responder hubby says you should stick to traffic accidents & bear sightings.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 8:28 pm
      • you didn’t even mention the reason for that stock photo. you actually seem to be the angry one here, and really petty for speaking to a reader like that.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 7:45 am
        • she wasn’t even mentioning the validity of the sorry. and the quote you supplied is the comment below this. did you verify that?

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 7:46 am
  • Unfortunately this was my sisters son it happened too he ended up getting 14 Staples at the top of his head n 3 stitches on his eye he is ok though and As far as the dog she’s usually not aggressive and right now we don’t Know what set her off

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 8:09 pm
    • So sorry for this tragic accident. Glad to hear it seems he will be ok.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 8:29 pm
  • I have a Chihuahua that has never been around children and I would never trust her to be in the past I have had Pitts that loved children but I always had a watchful eye when children would visit anything with teeth can bite .. I am a dog lover . I pray the child heals well

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 8:01 pm
  • I walk by this house and I have always worried about this particular dog which always appeared aggressive, so this as unfortunate as it is, does not surprise me. Young kids in this neighborhood have told me how bad this dog is.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 5:29 pm
    • leave the young kids alone on your walls.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 7:47 am
    • In this boys boy’s father in NC contact me [email protected]

Friday, 6 October 2017, 9:46 pm
  • Before you hate on the breed and dog…think of how this dog was raised. Dogs brought up with love learn love, dogs that are struck and treated poorly learn to be a beast. I am so sorry for the poor baby that was attacked and the parents! I pray for them! The owner of the dog should be held accountable and looked into!

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 3:48 pm
    • I agree because I have a full blooded bluenose pit and I have 2 toddlers and a 9 year old and my dog is great with my kids it’s all on how you raise your dogs.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 5:49 pm
      • I pray that baby is OK and has a good recovery

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 5:50 pm
        • i have a neighbor who treats his Jack Russel like crap… Yet when it gets loose, it doesn’t try to kill my kids…

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 6:36 pm
      • Bullsh*t, it’s the breed

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 6:40 pm
  • Euthanize the dog, to all those who think that first need to understand a few things. Like first off, if this dog truly “mauled” the toddler, it would be dead. Second, where are the parents of this child and owner of the dog? Do they have no responsibility in this? And finally, to say aggressive pit bull when there isn’t enough details is just wrong. Any dog can be considered aggressive given the right circumstances. Maybe this kid wandered into someone’s yard and tried to hurt the dog and it defended itself enough to get away from the kid? Get all the facts before you talk about ending a life. Any life. Dog human or otherwise.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 3:39 pm
      • How can I obtain this info

Friday, 6 October 2017, 9:48 pm
    • Maybe wait for some facts to enlighten you before jumping to the usual pit nutter tactic of victim blaming? Every article, always some pathetic person starts in with the “maybe they were trespassing” “maybe they were torturing the dog” “maybe they harassed it” It is just as pathetic as people who start criticizing rape victims for how they were dressed/acting/etc…

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 11:10 pm
  • Hoping this child makes a speedy recovery. Better parenting & dog ownership is needed. Also, Tom – quit with the sensationalized photo. If that’s not the actual dog, shame on you.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 3:32 pm
      • lol good one tom!

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 9:12 pm
      • I’m sure they’d be much happier if you used a photo of a pit bull in a tutu.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 4:57 am
      • maybe switch up the images? that seems lazy.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 7:48 am
    • How do you know the parents were being neglectful? So many attacks I have seent his year alone, the kids were: in their own yard in a kiddie pool and neighbor dog came through fence, being held by a babysitter, getting taken out of a carseat, looking out a window, walking down the street, playing in their grandmas yard when a neighbor pit got loose, jumping on a trampoline when a neighbors pit got loose. Kids have been killed by being literally ripped out of an adult’s arms. The blame lays solely with the dog and the dog’s owner, as well as pit nuts who continually crusade for these animals and dupe the public into getting unstable rescue dogs.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 11:13 pm
  • So many times the first time a pit shows aggression is just like that an attack.most of the time every one says the dog was so sweet and they never saw it coming. People never learn and always swear that their dog is different their dog would never do that,,,until it does.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 2:55 pm
  • Sorry previous comment should say, no dog deserves to be euthanized

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 2:35 pm
  • Prayers for child and dog..no dog deserves to euthanized

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 2:34 pm
    • When it attacks a child it does. I love animals too, but children should come first. Odds are the dog will do it again. It’s just common sense.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 4:53 am
    • No child deserves to be ripped apart. Dangerous animals need to be humanely euthanised for public safety reasons.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 11:14 pm
  • baby much much more important than this dog but I’m sure dog nuts will spout off over the headline defending this animal as if they were the ones who gave birth to it. craziness in 3…2…1… praying for full recovery of this precious child….

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 2:08 pm
  • Praying for this child..

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 1:41 pm
  • Please update us as to how the bay is doing. And hopefully the pit will be euthanized.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 1:08 pm
  • Why was this child near an aggressive pit bull? Praying this precious baby makes a full recovery.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 1:00 pm
    • Why did the parents let an aggressive pit bull near a child?? Prayers for the child.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 2:34 pm
      • Not necessarily the parents fault. Many cases it is a neighbors dog that got loose. Quit victim blaming!

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 11:14 pm
  • So sad. Whomever owns this dog should pay a fine and dog euthanized. Too many ignorant people owning dogs! Prayers for this poor baby.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 12:59 pm