Toddler Suffers Skull Fractures During Dog Attack, No Signs of Prior Aggression

SPRING HILL – Yesterday, RNRF broke the news of a little girl who was mauled by a dog at her home on Morrison Way. (CLICK HERE FOR ORIGINAL REPORT)

This morning, officials released additional details on the child’s condition and the dog that bit her.

According to officials, the 16-month-old little girl was playing with a newly adopted Chocolate Labrador Retriever, under the supervision of her parents, when for reasons unknown the dog bit the girl on the head.

The child was transported to a trauma center, where doctors discovered multiple puncture wounds and even two skull fractures as a result of the attack. Doctors say the injuries are not life-threatening and the child is expected to make a full recovery.

Officials say the dog was adopted from a shelter in Citrus County and belonged to the victim’s grandmother. Shelter authorities told the family that the dog was not aggressive towards people but was not compatible with other dogs. Family also say the dog had not shown any aggression in prior months.

The dog has since been quarantined by Hernando County Animal Service and the Department of Children and Families is investigating the incident.

EDITORS NOTE: While gathering information for our original breaking story yesterday, an Animal Control Officer arrived to impound the dog.  Deputies established a crime scene before calling major case detectives and forensics to respond to the residence.

An almost comical game of “hide and seek” ensued between the Animal Control Officer and RNRF, while we were trying to take pictures of the dog, in an effort to accurately report the breed.

As many of our viewers know, the breed of a dog is always an extremely controversial subject when the media reports animal attack incidents.

Pit Bulls are almost always the breed reported by the media when an attack occurs and RNRF is no different, so for accuracy purposes, we were trying to identify the breed before publishing our article. For reasons unknown, the Animal Control Officer took additional measures to make sure we could not get a glimpse of the animal in question.

When the Animal Control Officer noticed RNRF on the scene, she decided to back her vehicle up close to the mobile home. When I repositioned my vehicle at the north end of Morrison Way, she moved the rear of her vehicle even closer to the doorway to the mobile home. Once again, I repositioned my vehicle to the front of the residence but, like before, the Animal Control Officer took steps to conceal the animal, by opening her door to block my view. We were never able to get a picture of the animal for our report.

It is unknown why the Officer felt it was important to conceal the breed from the public, especially since the dog was not a Pit Bull.

Transparency at it’s finest. . .

Comments
  • First off Thank you Lord the baby will be ok. Now. Really?! This site got all hostile over a dog type?! Really? I like dogs can’t stand pit bulls. My family members have them and that’s ok with me. I don’t disown them because of it. How scary would this country be if everyone looked and acted the same. It probably look like North Korea (scary). And here we go again with the liberals and conservatives crap. Remember pizzagate? That poor guy got sucked in and now has to spend four years away from his children. ( I don’t think he was ever in trouble in the past). People are who they are because that’s the way they chose to be. We need to step outside our comfort zone once in a while. I promise we’ll survive the experience. We may even have some things in common like the love of this country. Oh and for the political fanatics on this site I would’ve never voted for any of those incompetent idiots. In my opinion they both were the worst candidates/choices in American history.

Thursday, 24 May 2018, 3:56 pm
  • I worked in a Hernando County ER for several years and can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the majority of dog bites we treated were from pit bulls. However, I’m not anti-pit bull, I have several friends that have them and the pits I’ve met were nice dogs. My point is, pit bulls are very strong, muscular animals with extremely powerful jaws that have the potential to do major harm, much more than other breeds. I feel that anyone who chooses to own this breed needs to be hypervigilent about keeping their dogs on their own property and not exposing them to stress factors such as small children or strangers.

I don’t believe RNRF, or the media in general, has an anti-pit bull agenda, I think the fact is that pit bull bites are generally more damaging than other breeds, require more medical intervention and, therefore, get more press.

And, for the record, I am literate, I am a liberal and I appreciate Tom and RNRF for keeping me I formed of the happenings in my home town.

Thursday, 24 May 2018, 2:56 am
  • I guarantee it was mixed with pitbull. That is the reason they did not want photos taken of the dog. I also know that shelters are purposely not identifying dog breeds properly to increase chances of adoption. If the dog is a mix of a lab and pitbull, the shelter will call it a lab so it has a better chance of getting adopted.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 2:28 pm
  • If you don’t see eye to eye with Tom, it seems your comments get blocked.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 12:01 pm
  • To all those idiotic LIBTARDS who do not like RNRF, let me just say this, not everyone will always see eye to eye with Tom however, if it were not for RNRF within our community, we would not know what is going on here on a daily basis. Think about that.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 10:26 pm
  • Hey Mr. “Good Luck Tom”. If you do not like RNRF than stay out! You are an idiot. Get a life. Nobody gives a crap what you say or think. Go lay down and cry on your pillow. You act like a sissy woman. Stop complaining.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 10:21 pm
  • You Liberals just can’t get over it! The Bitch Lost! Read your CNN (Clinton News Network) If you don’t like Tom & RNRF. Thank you Tom for your service’

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 9:38 pm
  • I usually comment on every “pitbull attack” article, and the first thing I noticed in your article yesterday was that you did not specify a breed. Honestly, I was expecting it to be a pitbull as they do account for the majority of attacks. The circumstances make sense for the attack though. Newly adopted lab with socialization problems from an animal shelter snaps on toddler who probably ran over to it to pet it. The child probably scared the poor traumatized dog. Im glad to hear the child will make a full recovery and I hope there’s a happy ending for the dog as well. All that being said, I’m glad it was a lab and not a pitbull as the outcome could of been a lot worse. I’ve seen pitbulls bite chunks of flesh off in one bite. I figure even though it’s not a pitbull attack, I can still share my opinion and stance against pitbulls compared to this story to fuel an interesting debate. First story in a long time about a dog attack that wasn’t a pitbull and the victim(small child) will make a full recovery. This is an example of the point I’ve been trying to make, that a large dog other than a pitbull attacks somebody and the damage isn’t serious or life threatening. A pitbull has the potential to seriously injure off the same one bite. Do you think under similar circumstances if the breed was switched to a pitbull, the damage would be the same?

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 9:29 pm
    • The only reason pit bulls account for the majority of attacks is because they are reported on the most. You cant accuratly say that when in truth the data is skewed.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 12:22 pm
      • I totally agree with Nikki…pit bulls make a great controversial news story. Many dog attacks that are not related to a pit bull are not reported, so the numbers are not accurate.

Why does every news post have to digress to insults and name calling? This is not even slightly a political issue and a little respect for one another regardless of the topic would be nice.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 4:17 pm
  • I for one am very happy that the child will make it thru this horrific event, as I am sure the parents are as well. As far as beating Tom up for an article he wrote about, rather silly folks. How this turned into politics I Have no idea, Tom does a job and lots of us like his work. The really silly thing of the whole article is the animal control lady playing hide and serk, how old is she 4 or 5 yrs old?.They are pretty worthless anyway. Hang in there Tom, yes they out to get ya, and shut you down but the truth always sets you free. Election time is just around the corner.. GOOD LUCK😃

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 8:44 pm
  • Tom, you are brave enough to take on Niehaus and his Dawn center & Moose Lodge cronies etc even though they tried to brand U as a stalker When I want to know what’s going on in Hernando, its RNRF ..TY Tom

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 7:21 pm
  • Any Dog come by and when it comes to a toddler they are quick and it can startle the dog also you say it was an older dog may have Some health issues or be in pain dogs don’t show pain like humans do Sad story in all the way around I just hope the dog doesn’t get put down for it

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 6:47 pm
    • Lena w or here is your usual idea, the damn scumbag dog was texting or on the phone and that was the cause for his cracking the skull of this poor child. Right? Lol

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 8:49 pm
  • Just as “transparent” as the rest of them “Conservatives” you support and stand by. Especially your hero D. Trump.

Go pick a fight elsewhere.

That comment was sooo lame!

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 6:20 pm
    • What is it with you leftists? So hateful and intolerant.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 8:27 pm
    • You are a typical retarded Libtard. When will you sorry ass losers get over yourselves. This has absolutely nothing to do with this article.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 10:17 pm
    • Awww…is ooo widdle butt still hurt from the last election. Poor widdle baby…it’s alright. Mommy will rock you to sleep and give you widdle bottle to drink. Awww…..

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 4:59 am
  • Animal control = part of sheriff’s office = another attempt to block info to the publuc. Plain and simple!! I have first hand info from someone who volunteered at Citrus animal control how their operation is run and the person I know and numerous others became so incensed over what was being done there that they all walked away. They got tired of trying to fight the bad management and bad practices there. If not doing wrong WHY HIDE????

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 6:10 pm
    • Mmmm, must be the incense they overcame.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 12:01 am
  • A lab bites a child and the media still makes it a story about pitbulls. I can’t blame animal control for distrusting the media. You never know what their agenda is.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 6:08 pm
      • Tom whats with this conservatives stuff? sounds like they blocked you so you could not tell the public what type of dog.Is it the sheriff office doing this?please let me know.Thank you .Tom the voice in Hernando county

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 7:43 pm
      • Tom, Some people have a hard time accepting facts and feed into the uninformed frenzy….If the illerterates would take reading comprehension 101, they would realize you never stated “pitbull” . They went straight to the comments and hypothesized it was a pitbull…You can win against stupid.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 8:24 pm
    • I think that they were trying to hide it so Pitbull’s would still get the rep.
      Main stream agenda, if things were always documented, I’m sure PLENTY of other breeds would be talked about as far as dog biting goes. God forbid everyone finds out it was a lab and NOT a pit.
      I can’t tell you the countless times I’ve been bitten by a Chihuahua. (Granted, Chihuahua’s can’t do the damage that a larger dog can, nevertheless, they still bite like little bas****s.)

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 7:41 am
  • See,not all dogs that maul people are pit bulls…but the vast majority are.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 6:08 pm
    • Hey Chelsea just leave it alone…no one needs you to throw fuel on the fire thanks.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 9:37 pm
      • I’ll say what I want to say! So take back your two cents.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 6:23 am
  • Yo Tom knock the transparency BS off!

You can’t play both sides.

I see you stick up for the conservative side of things.

I guess you don’t like when them “Conservatives” dis you, right?

Maybe you ain’t got enough “class” for them Conservatives, eh?

Maybe, just maybe, you’re picking the wrong side Tom.

Either way, good luck with them “Conservatives!”

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 5:55 pm
      • Your whole website is seen as a political paper Tom.

Your Editorials put you over the top man!

People see right through your agenda.

Come on man!

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 6:23 pm
    • Don’t let simpletons like this get to you Tom, the adults on here appreciate what you do.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 6:11 pm
      • Amen Tom ur a godsend

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 7:23 pm
  • Yellow journalism at its finest.

Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 5:38 pm
    • What happened to the first amendments rights? You have some great pictures to initiate a case in federal court hindering first amendments rights.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 12:18 pm
    • Ooops, you’re about to get banned from posting here – right Tom? Isn’t that how you roll? Don’t like criticism here or on Facebook so you just don’t allow the opposite opinion to be posted? That’s real big of you, and typical.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 12:25 pm