Tortoise Crossing the Road Leads to Motorcycle Rear Ending Pickup Truck, Driver Transported to Trauma Center

WEEKI WACHEE – A motorcyclist was transported to a local trauma center this evening, after he drove into the back of a pickup truck on Nightwalker Road.

There are unconfirmed reports that the driver of a pickup truck stopped in the southbound lane , due to a tortoise crossing the road. As a result, the motorcycle rear ending the pickup truck, injuring the driver.

The identity of the injured driver has not been released and his condition is unknown at this time.

Sources say the motorcycle driver is at fault and may be cited for the accident.

Comments
  • the Florida Supreme Court said, “the presumption of negligence that attaches to a rear driver in a rear-end motor vehicle collision case can be rebutted or avoided by the production of evidence from which a jury could find negligence on the part of the front driver

Thursday, 9 November 2017, 9:59 pm
  • Should have been watching where he was going. There are so many reasons that a driver may have to stop that’s in front of you and that’s way people should not tailgate but is goes on all the time here.

Thursday, 9 November 2017, 5:31 pm
  • I hit a large tortoise in Pasco County, in the pouring down rain in a 35 mph zone. I knew better than to just stop to avoid it (strong self preservation genes), and there was on coming traffic on one side and steep ditch on the other. I had to hit it, but I didn’t want to. I just managed to straddle it, thought it was going to be OK. But it wasn’t- that thing got stuck under my car, and I had to drive along with it for maybe a quarter of a mile before I could safely stop. Tortoise turned out to be fine, and I learned if you run something over and it gets stuck under the car, going in reverse, gently, will (usually) help you get that item free. Just an FYI. Could have been much worse.

Thursday, 9 November 2017, 2:07 pm
  • “Tortoise” people, not turtle. And no one knows enough details to make judgment on either party. I know that a lot of crotch rocket riders around here do drive like morons, but on the other hand I know there are a lot of tree hugging morons that’ll slam on their brakes out of nowhere and come to a FULL STOP in the middle of a 55mph road just to pick up a tortoise or avoid a damn squirrel. Even if you are going the speed limit and following at a safe distance, it can still be difficult to react to an unexpected situation. It’s even more dangerous if you’re on two wheels. As safe as a rider as I am and am willing to take the inherent risks of riding a motorcycle, im sad to say I’ll never own one again or consider driving one on public roads due solely to the fact that I don’t trust any other drivers out there on the road. There’s enough of a risk just riding a motorcycle, that it’s not worth getting paralyzed over because some moron decides to slam on their brakes in the middle of nowhere for whatever reason, or isn’t paying attention and pulls out in front of you. When you’re on 4 wheels it’s easier to avoid certain situations, but when your on 2 wheels it’s a lot harder and the risk of serious injury is multiplied ten fold. If you’re going to stop for a tortoise, make sure you can do it safely or don’t stop at all. A tortoise is not worth damaging 2 vehicles and sending someone’s family member to the hospital. Be safe out there people. The snowbirds are migrating.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 6:54 pm
    • If one cannot avoid plowing into the rear of a vehicle in front, then one is not driving safely. That’s what the law says, so no matter what anyone thinks, it’s still the fault of the motorcycle operator. I did wildlife rescue for years, and I will slam on my brakes to avoid killing anything – human or animal.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 9:45 pm
      • Well said, Keysmiata. If the rider was keeping the legal space (which is one car length per every 10 MPH) this crash never would have happened.

I have one question for the author of this article (Tom Lemons), why not add WHICH driver was injured? (of course I would THINK it would be the one on the bike. lol)

Thursday, 9 November 2017, 3:08 am
        • Actually the legal spacing is 2 seconds. The car length per 10 MPH has been out for decades.

Thursday, 9 November 2017, 9:18 pm
      • You should get rear-ended doing this. It is absurd.

Friday, 10 November 2017, 7:12 pm
        • Do you know how much being rear-ended is worth in a lawsuit, especially if there are injuries?? You’d better pray you do not rear-end anyone.

Saturday, 11 November 2017, 8:09 am
  • Look twice for motorcycles. Because they think they own the road.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 1:41 pm
  • Why did the turtle cross the road? To see if some brain-dead fool would stop to pick it up.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 12:02 pm
  • action is faster than reaction. lesson learned maybe….

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 11:22 am
  • In other news…truck driver fails to stop for turtle crossing the road. Air dynamics lift turtle airborne and decapitates motorcyclist following truck.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 9:07 am
  • The driver of the motorcycle was clearly at fault for not paying attention to what was going on, not looking far enough forward to detect the problem, following too closely to avoid hitting the truck. I always stop for animals, hazard lights on, and if someone rear-ends me, it’s definitely their problem. I watch where I am going, not what is behind me. That tortoise could have been a child! The problem with society is that people feel entitled even though they’re acting like idiots. Sorry folks – too many motorcycle riders just speed and don’t give a thought to what will happen if they hit something, including people.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 8:13 am
    • Another very well said comment. Thank you! 🙂

Thursday, 9 November 2017, 3:13 am
  • I STOP FOR TURTLES!! THEY ARE A PROTECTED SPECIES. FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION CAUSED ACCIDENT. I HAVE ALSO STOPPED ON 581 TO HERD A COW BACK INTO PASTURE. MOST PEOPLE SAW THIS AND STOPPED TO HALT TRAFFIC FLOW, THEN BEEPED AND WAVED AFTER IT WAS OVER.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 8:08 am
  • I LIVE IN THE NIGHTWALKER AREA – THAT FELLA ON THE BIKE CONTINUALLY SPEEDS UP AND DOWN THE STREETS – I GUES THIS SLOWED HIM DOWN

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 7:57 am
    • another speeder learns a hard lesson.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 3:48 pm
  • I have been seeing a lot of turtles crossing the main roads lately, more than usual…..I wonder if the weather has something to do with it…..it seems as the weather got cooler they were all “moving to apartments that had heat”…LOL. I am wondering if it will be the motorcyclists fault. I rear ended a van a couple of months ago, he decided to slam on his brakes during a green arrow turn and I hit him. I was charged with the accident, my Car Insurance went up two hundred bucks because they said, “I didn’t have control of my vehicle”. I wonder if the person on the motorcycle will get slammed for this accident like I did?

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 7:35 am
  • Prayers for the turtle… This is Hernando county so the poor little guy might just get a ticket for J walking. Lol this is just stupid. The motor cycle had to be on the trucks a*s to hit him or just not watching the road. All involved are gonna be at fault some way or another.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 7:19 am
  • Not a turtle…a tortoise….and it doesn’t matter what the driver stopped short for. That’s why everyone should practice safe following distance.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 7:02 am
  • Anyone who stops in the middle of a road with other motorists around just to save an animal is a f*cking moron. To whomever that person in the car is who caused that collision (thats right, the driver is 100% at fault) should be arrested and have their ass kicked. I hope your name gets released and people show up at your house and burn it to the ground with you in it.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 6:51 am
    • YOU ARE WHATS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY. AND OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO IDEAS OF THE LAWS IN THIS STATE . CRAWL BACK UNDER YOUR ROCK. YOUR REAL TOUGH ONLINE COME TO MY NEIGHBORHOOD AND TRY THAT SH*T .

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 9:40 am
    • You must be one of the morons who speeds around on a crotch rocket.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 11:09 am
    • TOM this sounds like a threat

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 3:49 pm
    • Tito,you’re a moron,that is all.

Thursday, 9 November 2017, 6:06 am
  • ITS THE LAW, operate any motor vehicle at a distance and speed that allows you to avoid a slowing or stopping motor vehicle, there case solved.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 4:34 am
  • Wasnt a pickup truck it was a buick encore and the driver stopped before turtle even started crossing road. Motorcycle driver wasnt at fault, was driving speed limit and kept safe distance. Women driving car was at fault. Not very good reporting

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 4:32 am
  • Sending prayers to all involved

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 2:11 am
  • Prayers for all involved

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 1:56 am
  • Oh god one person makes a mistake on a motorcycle and it’s every single other ones fault. Suck a d…. suck a d…. suck a d….. to everyone above.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 12:46 am
  • The driver of the pickup is an idiot. You have to think, is it better to kill a turtle or a person? I wouldn’t want to kill either but if I had to choose, then the turtle would be dead. Also if you are going to stop for an animal you need to have some common sense. Turn your hazard lights on and pull off the road. The motorcycle rider shouldn’t have been following so close but at the same time if you just decide to stop in the middle of road for Bo reason then you have to expect that you will get hit

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 10:57 pm
    • You are ignorant. Give up your license now!!!

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 11:12 am
  • Please people a human being is in hosp to save a turtle…ridiculous. I saw a woman stop in center lane of 50..no hazards on..got out of car to carry turtle across street…nearly causing a pile up..3 drivers had to go off road to avoid hitting her. Completely her fault…and stupid.

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 10:45 pm
  • Watch out for idiots who suddenly stop for turtles. SOB’s.

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 10:03 pm
    • yeah totally we should just kill all the turtles

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 6:05 am
  • Prayers for the cyclist

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 9:16 pm
    • screw the motorcyclist. One less idiot on a crotch rocket. Crotch rocket rides give true motorcycle riders a bad name.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 11:14 am
  • Maybe shouldn’t follow so close????

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 8:36 pm
  • Hope the driver will be ok.

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 8:27 pm
  • And they talk about people in cars and trucks to pay attention! Hey, here’s a thought, motorcycle riders, how about paying attention to how your driving . people in this state need to stop tailgating, and driving as though they are at a racetrack and making stupid moves….and yes today I stopped for 2 turtles on mariner blvd….if everyone would drive carefully instead if carelessly … Accident’s would be less…I’ve never seen as much cocky ness and arrogance. And carelessness anywhere else but in this state. Take 581 for example that road is horrible for speeders and bumper riders. I drive that road at least 7-10 x a week never have I Ever seen any cops pull people over they pass on no passing zones the literally ride on your bumper … And nothing pisses me off more ….I’ve got kids in my vehicle to put my family in danger, because of careless don’t care attitude, makes my blood boil…..Hey sheriff’s, take some time to hide on that road you would fill ya all’s quota in a couple hours!!!!

***** Hey TOM, I CHALLENGE YOU TO CHAT WITH THE LAW ENFORCEMENT TO TO AT LEAST GET THEM ON THAT ROAD , MAYBE MORE THAN 6 MONTHS*****

YEA I KNOW I’M WAISTING MY BREATH….

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 8:07 pm
    • U’ll CHALLENGE Tom!!??
      OH BOY!!! I’m sure he’ll get right on it!!!
      Tom don’t work with the cops, they don’t even like him, why would he embarrass himself??? UR an IDIOT!!!
      If u can’t beat em’ join em’ !!😝

Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 3:49 am
  • More accurate headline… “Rider Following Too Closely Leads To Motorcycle Rear Ending Pickup Truck, Driver Transported To Trauma Center”. You always leave room in case the vehicle in front of you stops.

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 8:04 pm
  • Lots of those big turtles in my neighborhood and most people when they see them, they do hit that brake pedal. I would hate to run one over but on the other hand I would hate to end up in the Hospital due to an accident trying to avoid one. You just have to keep your eyes on the road CONSTANTLY and hope for the best.

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 7:39 pm
  • Prayers for all involved.

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 6:56 pm
  • Just another reason to always pay attention very sad

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 6:53 pm
  • And they say “watch out for motorcycles”

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 6:26 pm