Two Detention Deputies Fired for Having “Inappropriate Contact” with Inmates

BROOKSVILLE – According to Hernando County Sheriff’s Office Spokesperson Denise Moloney, two county detention deputies have been terminated for policy violations.

Sergeant John Baja, a 5 year veteran of the agency was terminated on Friday July 10th for violating Policy Statement 1023.00 III D. Code of Conduct – Conduct Unbecoming an Officer and Detention Directive 7050.48 Staff / Inmate Conduct.

Detention Deputy Joshua Smith, a 2 year veteran of the agency was terminated today for violating Policy Statement 1023.00 III D. Code of Conduct – Conduct Unbecoming an Officer and Detention Directive 7050.48 Staff / Inmate Conduct.

An Internal Affairs Investigation revealed that Baja had inappropriate contact with a former female inmate.

A separate Internal Affairs Investigation revealed that Smith had inappropriate contact with a former female inmate.

We will bring more on this story as information develops.

ASDFASDFASDFASDFASDFASD

Comments
  • I was a trustee for 9 months BAJA was the BEST guard there always ontop of his game..Now for sorry Josh Smith he’s a POS runs his mouth constantly was just married less than 2 years ago while he was in the process of being married I remember jenny Martin being sexually harassed by Smith and also witnessed him smack her a** while I was working in booking..SMITH is a straight scum bag

Friday, 25 September 2015, 3:09 pm
  • lmao that inmate is my homieeee <3 loce you shelbs

Monday, 31 August 2015, 8:33 pm
  • Lmao there is so much stuff that goes on in that place it’s disgusting .. Smith and Baja are not the problem the higher up are !!!! And to send nude pics well stupid is as stupid does … That’s all

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 11:58 pm
  • Knowing a family member of one of the officers I would like to tell Peter b How can you say that the family (the victims) would destroy the relationship over this… The family’s particular situation (which I do not wish to air) makes the actions totally unforgivable I believe that it was the officer who destroyed it all on his own. People should stop trying to defend these disgusting officers. it just goes to show you that they took their oath of office just as seriously as they did their marriage vows. I guess that means it was not one small error in judgement but two deliberate actions against everything they have pledged and swore to. How can they be trusted after that.

Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 5:16 pm
  • “J” is absolutely correct. That jail and 80% of its staff are a joke. Not all but most. I know first hand. I used to be in a relationship with someone who was/is a detention deputy at that facility. There is so much corruption and favoritism not to mention turning a blind eye to serious matters to save their ass. When you get a report of sexual harassment going on to a new female deputy in the work place who is being harassed by other officers in which the males greatly outnumber females not on one or two but multiple occasions. And their response to this is that she didn’t get their humor and it was a joke and they are all family. Ill tell you what’s a joke that whole place with their staff that has egos bigger then I ever seen. I could go on all night but it’s a waste of time just glad to see some things coming to light. Still quite a few bad apples but I won’t say any names. It’s tempting though.

Monday, 3 August 2015, 10:01 pm
  • I’m wondering, did they get extra hazard Pay!!

Monday, 3 August 2015, 12:52 pm
  • Not all are cons. Many are awaiting trial, many convicted of nothing. And some have done nothing wrong, but are treated as bad as those that have. That it why we must be sure to make sure there isn’t the slightest mistreatment of any iate

Sunday, 2 August 2015, 10:47 pm
  • Ooops

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 11:00 pm
  • Sometimes we just don’t think.Two good men lost there jobs and possibly there families.This is why the inmates are called con;s

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 9:45 pm
  • I guess they should have read the code book more carefully, Maybe they figured that since they were no longer in custody of the county it was OK, It’s sometimes tough to mix male guards with female inmates who may be trying to get favors from the guards anyway that they can.

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 6:35 pm
  • It seems as though SUE must be Josh’s wife. If so, my deepest prayers go out to you. Yes everybody makes mistakes however, when you hold a job in a high profile and supposedly high respected position one should have more control and respect for their loved ones at home as well as themselves. Male prisoners should have male guards and female prisoners should have female guards. Male guards should never be where the female prisoners are and the same for the female guards as with the male prisoners. Allowing such would eliminate the inappropriate urge of both sexes. This is an ongoing issue that needs to be addressed. As for the families of the guards that now become victims in these situations it is not worth destroying relationships careers or marriages over such actions. Finally, for those human spell checkers, read the articles and responses and stop criticizing those who misspell. That is so immature and childish.

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 2:38 pm
  • Which word is the adjective ‘former’ modifying, Female or Inmate? If it is the latter, we have a standard sex scandal, but if it is the former, we have a topical human interest piece.

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 12:26 pm
  • I agree Dan

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 10:33 am
  • I just recently got released from Hernando County Jail. I was sentenced to 10 months. I was very happy with Dep Smith and how he handled himself in all the situations I seen him deal with. He took time out to see if I was doing alright when I crossed paths. I know for sure that they will be losing out on a good Sgt and Dep. When there was issues and disturbances you could always count on Baja and Smith first to the problem. These guys where decent people to me. I believe these guys shouldn’t have there names trashed. People make mistakes! These guys have worked hard from what I witnessed from my time there.

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 9:44 am
  • What 13 i dont doubt the news puts a little spin on things,but it appears you know something more, like you work there or maybe did work ? and are trying to make light of this situation,so here would be my question to you,how can a correction officer e mail a inmate? Did i miss the time when inmates had email accounts?or was the email that you speak of how they got cought becouse they emailed someone else bragging about their inmate girlfriend,and where are these female inmates that exchange sex for a soda when they get out?cause i got alot of soda and sum candy too

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 9:33 am
  • Geez, folks, just because this is about a corrections officer doesn’t mean we all have to become corrections officers on Tom’s spelling. LOL

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 7:10 am
  • OMG NOTHING NEW – this went on years ago 10 years ago HCC … Inmate w/ corec. officers. MALE w/ Female Female w/ Female etc. the Rec room storage shed was a known little sex closet for intimate inmate and officer 1 on 1 action NO BS , Just PURE TRUE FACTS!!!!

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 5:08 am
  • The sheriff has to go…by by Al…oh one other thing where’s ALL YOU COP LOVERS WHO THINK THE HCSO IS THE BEST…they hire thieves, drunks,abusers,and incompetent deputies WHO don’t belong in uniform…

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 1:44 am
  • Very good Kat..Happened to me. I am now in a massive federal lawsuit. I wasn’t what people think..a mistake simple as that…and trust me what goes on in that jail is crazy..I have seen it first hand. What J says in his comment is absolutely true. I have written about it years ago. Everyone knows about it and chooses to ignor it. I was the victim of another states mess up wrongly detained awaiting extradition to the other state. I spent eight days waiting in the Hernando jail. Long story short I left saying ” I would not see what I did and do nothing”. Now remember I was wrongly extradited.. Should not have happened but did. For ten days I was locked in the equivalent of a dog cage in a cargo van. That’s right an 18 hour ride took ten days. During my trip I was so badly abused I have been left disabled and severely damaged. It went as far as being urinated on. When I was carried out of that van semi conscious I got an oops sorry our mistake. So to everyone bashing the inmates..give a break.. don’t kick someone when their down . Be angry at the officers who know better and frankly show worse judgement then some inmates…and remember not every inmate is what you think they are.

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 1:25 am
  • So weird I’ve heard of Baja doing this how did I know I would see his name

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 1:14 am
  • Josh should spend some time in jail
    For what he has done to his family
    All because he thinks only of himself and not about his children
    When you have children they should come first
    Unfortunately his kids never are first!
    Its all about Josh!!!

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 12:06 am
  • Not everyone who is in jail is a lowlife or scum.Sometimes unfortunate things happen.Some of the biggest lowlife work right there at the jail.They use their “authority” and take advantage of ppl more than you think.Don’t judge ppl,you never know when you might end up staying for a visit.Don’t think it can’t happen.

Friday, 31 July 2015, 10:20 pm
  • Omg lmao I just saw on the news the inmate. It is the girl who told me a year ago she messed with a deputy. I thought she was currently in jail in pasxo. She was in the news earlier this year for bringing drugs and needles to probation. Wow

Friday, 31 July 2015, 10:12 pm
  • God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to run one at a time.

Friday, 31 July 2015, 9:57 pm
  • Its not like things of this nature dont go on around the state. From county jails to actual dept of corrections facilite weither they be state owned and operated to contracted out by other agencies like cca or geo.A family member of mine was recently released froma geo ran facility aka a state prison here in fl and he told me that with x amount of money provided most female officers will provide sexual favors for the inmates and he has witnessed numerous accounts and was told to say nothing due to having to suffer more time and loosing his gain time. Unbelievable. Thanks rick scott for not doing nothing about things like this and making the bystanders accountable for other peoples actions!

Friday, 31 July 2015, 9:57 pm
  • That’s right because the news never puts a spin on things. The Sheriff’s office didn’t release sex scandal, that was the head line put on it.

Friday, 31 July 2015, 8:47 pm
  • Don’t think so What13. Read the post. Scandal is not emails.Don’t put a spin on it.

Friday, 31 July 2015, 8:24 pm
  • That whole place is a joke I worked there just shy of a year told higher ups what was going on they don’t care! The whole squad I was on used to pull inmates out for fun mess with them don’t even get me started on the no camera zones which they made sure I knew about on day one.That jail is destin for failure with the c.o.s that they have. I’d say over half are shadier than the inmates themselves. ?

Friday, 31 July 2015, 8:23 pm
    • Hi Jennifer Martin,
      I guess you are still bitter from getting fired yourself from the jail.

Monday, 3 August 2015, 1:26 am
  • There is no sex scandal it was policy broken from emails after work hours. That was the inappropriate contact.

Friday, 31 July 2015, 7:45 pm
    • Are you Mr. Know it all?

Sunday, 2 August 2015, 11:23 pm
  • Dumb azz sheriffs !!!! And, THIS is a perfect example as to why I NEVER call the cops for anything !!!! This has been going on a long time, even when it was run by CCA, I remember seeing something on Bay News 9 in 2002 or 2003 maybe ?? I don’t remember what year it was. The “correctional officer” later went on to commit suicide.

Friday, 31 July 2015, 7:40 pm
    • maybe its because you have a warrant, hahaha

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 9:28 am
      • No, last I checked, I had 10 or so warrants…….

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 3:04 pm
  • Just goes to show you there’s bad apples in the sheriffs office. Glad they are finding them and getting rid of em. Sucks they wanted to lose thier job over sex with a low life inmate

Friday, 31 July 2015, 7:37 pm
  • jeeeeez everyone misspells give the guy a break,,,,

Friday, 31 July 2015, 7:27 pm
  • If you spelling teacher ? apply for a job! No one is perfect ?.And wtg Hernando country!

Friday, 31 July 2015, 7:16 pm
  • Way to go Mr. Baha and Mr. Smith….. life choices….. I see the spelling Natzis are on patrol!!!!!! Good grief people have no life…. maybe you can give Mr. Baja and Mr. Smith some spelling lessons for their next job with all the free time you have…. just a suggestion. ..

Friday, 31 July 2015, 6:59 pm
  • Forget the misspelled word everyone makes an error every once in awhile the main thing is the deputies that acted disgraceful! 0

Friday, 31 July 2015, 6:39 pm
  • I know a girl in my old neighborhood claimed to be “hooking up” with one of the deputies while she was in county. She said he would buy her sodas and candy. I didn’t really believe it at first. But than I had another girl tell me the same thing. I can’t remember the deputies name though.I think this goes on a lot in hernando.

Friday, 31 July 2015, 6:23 pm
    • Maybe you should find better friends Cassy…….one
      s that do NOT go to jail!

Sunday, 2 August 2015, 11:22 pm
  • So much for spell check…thank GOD those two worked at the jail….imagine if they were actual deputies on the roads….I won’t arrest you if you go down……………………………the road….get your minds out of the gutter….

Friday, 31 July 2015, 6:10 pm
  • Eww!!! A bit desperate I would say unless it was a fetish of dominance…great example and pathetic way to forfeit your career ,families possibly and dignity… get checked for stds now fools…

Friday, 31 July 2015, 6:04 pm
  • Time for editing the word scandal real quick!

Friday, 31 July 2015, 5:48 pm
  • scandal

Friday, 31 July 2015, 5:43 pm
  • Dumb asses . ruin your carreer for an inmate that will probably be a carreer inmate . should have thought with your other head .

Friday, 31 July 2015, 5:31 pm
    • you misspelled career lol

Saturday, 1 August 2015, 4:25 am
  • I think you misspelled “scandal”.

Friday, 31 July 2015, 5:28 pm
  • What a shame ruining their life and career for criminals all for a piece of ***.

Friday, 31 July 2015, 5:10 pm