Two Firefighters Among the Injured, After Car Collides with Ambulance

BROOKSVILLE – Just after 11:00 am, Emergency Dispatchers received a frantic call from a female firefighter, claiming that they were just involved in a major accident, at the intersection of Cortez Blvd and Mariner Blvd.

The injured firefighter sounded as if she was in extreme distress, according to radio traffic we intercepted, but her exact injuries are unknown.

According to Assistant Chief Kevin Carroll, the driver of the yellow convertible suffered a medical condition and collided with a Hernando County Fire Rescue Unit, injuring a Medic and EMT. The injuries appear to be minor, according to Carroll.

A third vehicle was also involved but it unknown if the occupants were injured.

The Florida Highway Patrol will be investigating the cause of the accident.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

ann 2 Ann 4 ann 5 ann 6 ann1 ann3

Comments
  • I hope Jesus realizes that his marketing reps have been causing accidents. It’s not very good publicity for him. If he keeps this up no ones going to go to the second coming event.

Thursday, 16 April 2015, 8:06 am
  • NobookstoresinHC is correct. This evening came North on Mariner to the 50 stoplight. I was turning left or West on 50. I was the fifth car in the far left lane (lane one of two left turn lanes). The 4 cars in front of my vehicle all made a U-turn and headed South on Mariner. What a mess!
    Immediately erect NO U-Turn signs at this dangerous intersection. To bad your trip is going to take an extra 10 minutes. Maybe an accident and life will be saved.

Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 9:35 pm
    • No they need to fix the mess they created when they moved the traffic light for the new stores. They made a total mess of that intersection.

Thursday, 16 April 2015, 6:23 pm
  • GIANT CROSS dude “honk if you love…guy” sticks his sign out into traffic and hangs off the curb. I wonder about his safety at rush hour…I work nearby, wrecks every other day from U-turns and trucks sqeezing traffic into the narrowing intersection. A driver’s age has nothing on this traffic accident prone intersection.

Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 8:54 pm
  • It says the drive had a medical issue,,,,never said anything about being elderly….Read more carefully please.
    I am 69 and have never had an at fault accident or a ticket in 53 years. Don’t jump to conclusions. The young drivers on their texts etc. etc. are way more dangerous. How are you going to test them every year.??

Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 4:29 pm
  • It’s not so much about the elderly drivers as it is prescription drugs and abusing prescription drugs, no matter what your age is. Joann is right young drivers speed making it dangerous. Blobalguy, you have my vote if you wanna run for commissioner:) your exactly right!!

Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 4:25 pm
  • The problem with the construction on 50 is that the County did not have the vision to fix this terrible traffic problem prior to all the new growth. Now the excuse is going to be NO MONEY as we the taxpayers did not approve their bogus one cent for Hernando scam for roads and of course the ever popular school money needed for repairs that have been put off until now.
    Our county commissioners are nothing less than big city hack politicians who are hauling in a very nice salary and doing nothing but going through the motions.
    Just wondering, what kind of fiscal shape would the county be in if they did not give the sink hole scammers the big property tax reductions? If they did have their cracked tile repaired with 80 to 90 loads of slurry why isn’t that house better than everyone else in the community and why isn’t their home taxed at full market value?

Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 2:39 pm
  • What can I say after everyone hit the nail on the head, I hope someone that can correct the problem at 50 and Mariner Blvd. is reading what people are saying.

Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 9:49 am
  • The public also needs to realize the dangers of and emergency vehicle running lights and sirens! Please be more cautious when you see and/or hear a siren. Move to the “right”!!! And for goodness sakes… STOP!
    Speedy recovery my friends in SHF.
    Paramedic LeCompte
    Aka: stacie kepic! 😉

Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 6:24 am
  • It’s not just the older drivers (I’m 68 and still working full time) but the younger drivers who don’t signal, exceed the speed limit and have no courtesy to other drivers. Also, the idiot that stands on the corner of Mariner and Cortez waving “Love Jesus” signs in your face as you are trying to turn the corner. People are honking their horns and you have no idea if they are honking at you for safety reasons or honking at this idiot. He is very distraction as you try to navigate a VERY dangerous intersection. The construction is a disaster and they have NO regard for the safety of the drivers. I love progress but I am SO over the construction!

Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 8:28 pm
    • I agree completely. He is a menace. Why don’t the police ask him to move?

Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 9:29 am
  • Yep I’m one of those old guys who can remember when the SEABEES could have done that project in a week — ovenight if there was no beer!

Chuck

Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 2:52 pm
  • So true, Peggy. That intersection becomes more confusing, and more dangerous, with every passing week!!
    I’ve lived in western Hernando County since the fall of ’82, and I can’t think of any time since the mid 80’s that some portion of Mariner & Cortez Blv’ds. hasn’t been undergoing major construction. Right now, just trying to get into the CVS lot puts one in imminent danger, not to mention traversing the Boulevards!!

Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 2:03 pm
  • the construction has gone on way to long. It’s amazing there are not more accidents

Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 1:58 pm
  • These Elderly folks need to have there license taken away once they start having health issue that could effect their driving. After all it is a lethal weapon.The should all have a drivers test on a yearly basis one the hit 70. They should have to take it in a simulator that tests them on reflex at all road speeds. They don’t here a horn blowing at them to warren them. They just cant do the speed limit, or use turn signals and etc.

Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 1:28 pm
    • hmmmm seems to me that most of the accidents happen not because the elderly folks cause them but because of the crazy way speeders and crazy people drive. I also am one of the elderly you talk about and I have not had any accidents in my whole history of driving and also no tickets. Can you say that. Oh and why do the elderly get a break in insurance….could it possibly be because we are careful drivers….I wonder. My daughter said that once to me while she was driving 70 mph in a 35 mile zone ( I ask her to stop and let me sit in the back so I would have a chance to live if she had an accident) and when I said is that so … well let us see who the crazy ones are….you are going 70 in a 35 mile zone and lets see who passes you next….will it be a elderly person or maybe a young person ….ahhhh it was a young person. So beware Christine Clark …. check your facts before you talk about the elderly. I also would like a reply on how many accidents you have been in little or big….and also how many tickets you have had and what they were for. I put mine out there now you put yours out there. Oh and by the way I do drive carefully because I respect that the people that put the speed limit out there knew what they were doing. And I was there where the accident happened and yes we all can have an accident but you go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and yell elderly all you want….I see more young people in accidents and not do the speed limit then you would or could think of.

Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 11:05 pm
  • SR 50 sux. was just up there shopping. i miss when it was a 2 lane road & the only thing i had to worry about was a cow once in a while.

Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 12:30 pm
    • YUP! Those days are long gone!

Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 1:30 pm