Two J.D. Floyd Elementary Students Struck by Car While Riding Bikes to School

UPDATE: According to the grandfather of Ben Gumz, one of the injured children, the child suffered a broken femur and required surgery to repair the damage. This contradicts the Florida Highway Patrol’s official report that stated both children suffered minor injuries.

SPRING HILL – Two J.D. Floyd Elementary Students are lucky to be alive this morning, after they were struck by a car while riding their bicycles to school.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, two 9-year-old students were riding their bicycles westbound on Dow Lane, when a 2013 Honda Civic, driven by 25-year-old Jennifer Lynne Martin sideswiped the boys, as she turned onto Dow Lane from Ambassador Ave.

Both students were transported to Bayonet Point Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

Martin was issues a citation for careless driving.

Comments
  • Im from NY originally. 4th grade you no longer qualify for bus service.. You walk!.. so having 9 year old biking to school is not out of the norm.

Saturday, 1 April 2017, 11:10 pm
  • I personally pass by these two boys on their way to and from school as I’m taking my son’s to school. I too have thought several times where are their parents? These boys are NOT looking for cars, they walk and ride their bikes in the middle of the street and don’t pay attention. I’ve had to stop many times untill​ they realise I’m there and move to the side. I’ve learned to always have an eye out for these boys. I’ve also witnessed them throwing rocks at cars, as to which I pulled over and gave them a quick lecture about destroying others people’s property. I told them that i bet their parents wouldn’t be too pleased to know they’re throwing rocks at cars. I probably scared them half to death in hopes to not get dents in my car. I’ve even seen them shooting NERF guns. Don’t get me wrong, I am a loving mother and my heart breaks that these boys got hurt. I also know that these boys either don’t know walking/biking etiquette or they don’t practice it. I’m certain the driver could’ve been paying better attention to the road to avoid this from happening. I also feel that these boys parents have no clue how they’re​ behaving once they leave the house. As parents it’s our responsibility to teach and guide our children about road safety and decide if they’re responsible enough to do it alone. I personally don’t feel that they are.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 10:49 pm
  • There are places kids can be drove for after and before school care. Careless parents let there kids walk at this age. If its the expense then work more hours or cut out an extra expense in your budget. Yes the 2.5 mile walk radius is ridiculous. Kids use to be bused where did that money go??? Your kids safety comes before everything and where there is a will there is a way and we should stand together as a community and get it stopped.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 3:21 am
  • Yesterday morning two 9 year old JD Floyd students were struck by a car on their way to school. One of the boys suffered a broken femur and was FORCED TO UNDERGO SURGERY to reconstruct his leg with pins. His recovery will take months. These boys were injured by a careless driver. They were injured because THEIR COUNTY FAILED TO PROTECT THEM by providing them with safe transportation to school. Their father plans on fighting the Hernando County school district’s busing policy and SpringHillNow.com has promised to help bring awareness to this issue. All of the children in Hernando County should have access to a school bus to transport them to school regardless of their proximity to the school. YOUR CAN DO YOUR PART to demand this policy be changed and ensure the safety of our children by contacting the school board members and superintendent directly:

Lori M. Romano, Superintendent of Schools, at (352) 797-7000 or [email protected]

Mark C. Johnson for District #1 at [email protected]

Linda Prescott for District #2 at [email protected]

Beth Narverud (Vice Chairperson) for District #3 at [email protected]

Gus Guadagnino for District #4 at [email protected]

Susan Duval for District #5 at [email protected]

******* I found this information on this following site : http://springhillnow.com/hernando-county-policy-jeopardizes-safety-of-students/2017/03/29 ***********

Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 10:52 pm
  • People have the right to do what they won’t

Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 4:49 pm
  • I hope for a speedy recovery for the injured children. Its very dangerous to walk to school. With all the medications people are on, with all the disregard for safety due to self entitled behavior and technological distractions. Its shocking these situations do not occur more often. The crossing guards really do take a serious risk as Ive seen people intentionally still go regardless of the stop sign and say rude nasty things to them. If youve ever walked your kids to school or rode a bicycle with your child youll eventually see crazy drivers sooner than later. Youll see people disregard traffic control devices ie blow red lights, drive off the road, go the wrong way in traffic, etc. and that will be in one day. Theres no shortage of dangerous drivers out there. Florida allegedly holds the record for motor vehicle vs bicycle fatalities.

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 11:57 pm
  • A broken femur doesn’t seem like a “minor injury.”

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 7:38 pm
    • its awful and terrible but its not life threatening. i do feel though that should of been left out as an fhp officer is not usually a medical professional. report writing 101. person A complained of “intense pain.” dispatch notified EMS arrived on scene on such time. Just the facts…

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 11:42 pm
        • true, i hope you realize what i was mentioning is the fhp report had opinionated information and reports should only document factual information..lol my sgt would of had my boys in a vice if I put a medical guess in my reports..lol the courts and attorneys love to tear you a new one ..

Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 7:52 pm
  • 2 mile rule,plus the school start times is crazyness i know all you that say your never let your kids go to school alone but what can a parent do,no bus servive i 3 kids in 3 different schools at 3 different times,how can i drive them all then go to work and be home to pick all 3 up.theres no sidewalks,also no crossing guards and major intersections to get to the school such as spring hill dr,also the amount of book these kids need to carry everyday,and they aint allowed a book bag with wheels,i want to see the county commishiners and everyone else involved in the descision to park their car 2 miles from the office everyday and carry a 45 lb book bag to and from everyday,oh if they want they can wait in the drop off line 1/2 hr to 45 mins in the am and pm and then mk it to the next school in time.2 miles is far,bad weather,plus bad drivers its still dark out when they have to walk to school.they also come home everyother day with a note for something that the school has their hand out for more $$ but how can we pay when we. Cant work cause were busy driving kids to school and just as i drop off the last 1 i only had 5 hrs till it starts all over to pick them all up.

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 6:56 pm
  • The driver wasn’t paying attention to the road, parents need to work, so reality is, the kids go on their own as much as it stinks. Good coverage on the HCSD Tom, I really like all of your coverage and appreciate knowing what’s going on in my community!!

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 5:22 pm
      • Ditto?

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 7:10 pm
  • Because Hernando County stopped bus transport for all students 2 miles or less from the school. In a perfect world a parent would be with them but sometimes finances just don’t allow it.

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 4:14 pm
    • Exactly

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 9:45 pm
  • BS War on Drugs. The real question is with the HSB requiring a 2 mile walk radius why AREN’T there sidewalks to all schools. Westside is terrible for it. WHy doesn’t RNRF do some serious stories other than the glory accident/crime ones? Some real in depth hard hitting journalism ??

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 2:45 pm
      • Tom,Im pretty sure what he meant was a story on the 2 mile rule and school start and end times and how its a hardship on parents and the dangers kids face at those times walking to and from school.whats the actual savings and where did all or any of that $$ go.and is it really worth putting kids in danger?

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 7:02 pm
    • So instead of everyone arguing about what is right or wrong maybe, everyone band together and find a way to implement a small school tax increase. We are a highly overpopulated community and an minimal increase to fund the abolishment of the 2 mile radius would hardly be felt in our pocket books. The problem is making sure that funds go directly to that cause and not in the wallets of our politicians. At the end of the day the real issue is the safety of our children and proactively fixing a broke system which is fixable. Believe me I hate to use the word Tax as I meet much opposition on that topic. As for Toms stories you and I are obviously reading them. I do not object to Tom’s journalism as it does keep us abreast as to what is going on in our community but, we can add some other real issues our citizens face as well.

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 7:08 pm
      • we could start by not having those expensive private meetings for the elite school board in a gated community with no access to the public and expensive talkers…why couldn’t they use a school to do it…no…we have to have lavish expensive meetings…typical of this school board and district just like others across the country…entitled school board and Romano…just like showing off ESE class in 2 schools earlier this year with a small amount of students and how nice it works when real rooms in other school don’t have that limited number of students in ESE and need help to get the job done correctly…all lies like usual Romano…and Ms Duval…you were a great principal…don’t let them make you join the crowd…keep students first…Romano…take your privileged but elsewhere…along with your school board lawyer who charges a small town $165 an hour…there has to be a better lawyer at a cheaper price who can understand the law that way it is meant to be and not the way they want it to be!! I bet none of the school board or the elite at district make their kids walk….no…schedule around it as they are elite and entitled…

Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 9:33 am
      • War on Drugs be cray-cray

Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 1:01 pm
  • War on drugs, some people DON’T have the option of ” working around job scedule to be with their children “. I grew up as a latch key kid walking from school or school bus stop 50 PLUS YEARS AGO. There were not as many cars on road then, no cell phones,etc. My father traveled for his job, my mother worked 8 – 10 hours a day not getting home till 5p.m. or later. Guess you’d wonder where they were too??????? Point is IT’S BECOME A DIFFERENT WORLD NOW. SCHOOL BUSES DON’T COME TO YOUR DOOR ANYMORE. PARENTS HAVE CHOICES TO MAKE LIKE IT OR NOT. THE DRIVER OF VEHICLE IS AT FAULT- SHE NEEDS TO QUIT CELL PHONING, DOING HAIR/MAKEUP, THINKING THE ROAD BELONGS ONLY TO HER.

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 2:45 pm
    • That was over 50 years ago and apx 30 for me. I agree times were different then. I and my husband also work 50-60 hrs a week but, have always made sure our children were not in harms way. I in now way live in a perfect world and like most parents have made my share of mistakes parenting but, I have always made provisions with work to take care of my family first. At the end of the day your children come first, their safety comes first above any thing. . I see these little kids darting out on the main roads on bicycles at all times of the day. And yes I ask myself “Where are the parents”! Believe me many are either to drugged up or wrapped up in themselves to give two craps where their children are. As for the comment about her on her cell phone or doing her make-up….I am assuming you were there or possibly in the vehicle with her. If you were in fact there I owe you my sincerest apology. There is simple solution to this problem since everyone is working let’s vote that every homeowner pay just that little bit more a year in school taxes to get that 2 mile bussing radius abolished. I would be more than glad to give up a cup of D&D coffee every morning to give to the school board to ensure the safety of our children. The problem is, it will most likely get voted down because many would not even entertain the thought of an even minimal tax increase. BTW I am not unsympathetic to hard working parents as I fall right into that category!!!

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 6:56 pm
      • War on drugs! Actually just like you felt some time of way saying if that person was in the car and they were there when that woman hit the kids don’t speak for other parents! You don’t know what they have going in I’m 22 years old and i walked to my bus stop by my self without my parents as it was said not others have the privilege of having a 9 to 5 jobs…. and it was not because my parents were ON DRUGS! actually they were working! My mom started work at 5am to 6pm and my father was the same but he started at 6am to 8pm! So tell me in what time they were on drugs they’re job didn’t give them the hours they felt like. My mom works 65 to 72 hours a week. Now don’t say you worked 60 hours week and your husband as well and have time to take and pick up your kids from school because working those days between thehours of school is impossible so come up with another lie. Now I would believe you if you said 40 to 45 hours a week because I do work those hours and I would have time when I have my kids!

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 8:14 pm
  • i so agree with you, i take my 10 yr to the bus and see all these little ones riding to school or walking and wonder where the parents are, sad. my girls when they were in school just had to walk to the end of the road, but i drove them there every day to make sure the made it on the bus safely.

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 2:44 pm
    • 🙂

Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 10:31 pm
  • Glad to hear these boys are ok. Please be careful out there and WATCH everything.

Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 2:43 pm