Unresponsive Swimmer Pulled from Weeki Wachee River, Possibly Jumping from Bridge

UPDATE: 7:42 P.M. – Officials have now confirmed that the victim has died from his injuries.

The victim’s identity has not been released.

WEEKI WACHEE – The Sheriff’s Office is investigating a possible drowning, after reports that the victim jumped from the Rogers Park Bridge and disappeared.

Fire Rescue responded to 5367 Circle Drive, where witnesses pulled the victim from the water.

A spokesperson for Hernando County Fire Rescue says the victim is a 16-year-old male and that his injuries are life-threatening.

An off-duty E.R. Nurse administered C.P.R. prior to Fire Rescue transporting the victim to a local hospital for treatment.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

Briodge

Comments
  • Why in the world would a non–swimmer jump off? Either loaded, suicidal or encouraged by others?

Thursday, 9 June 2016, 12:18 am
  • no one can s t f u you think the manure you need to spit is gold well it is not! if you know nothing dont say nothing

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 10:16 pm
  • WEEKI WACHEE – Yesterday, RNRF reported the drowning death of a 16-year-old boy who was found floating a few hundred feet away from Rogers Park in the Weeki Wachee River.

Officials initially believed that the teen jumped from a bridge and never resurfaced, however, witnesses say that was not the case.
    There you go All You negative idiots, I hope now you offer apologies for all your negative crap!!!, He didn’t jump, he drowned just playing.
    And Tom, You should NOT permit this negative crap, have some creative knowledge to allow only Decent remarks with your Reading these Crap posts and comments from your UNINFORMED Following. Letting this Fighting constantly go on your site is just ridicules, Have better control of this site that started out good, reporting the news, now it’s just a place for idiots to voice stupid a$$ comments.

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 2:44 pm
    • tom is a media news person. Hes not going to censor people bc you told him to. Hes all about freedom of speech and freedom of the press. what you find offensive some one else might find informative or of interest. Your opinion does not take priority..lol If you like censorship so much Im sure there are plenty of highly censored countries you could move to some that even ban the slightest sense of any ridicule.

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 8:21 pm
  • Prayers For The Family and friends..such a tragedy so young to lose his life

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 2:25 pm
  • Foodforthought
    U r wasting ur ink so I will try
    Tear the bridge down
    Cut the trees down
    shoot an alligator cause he ate a poodle
    Shoot the gorilla cause a kid landed in his pen
    When will u people stop and accept their is responsibility for your actions whether they be bad or good.
    Quit adjusting common sense
    And yes I had a good friend who did this
    But I have seen people jump off the wall besides the bridge and hit rock s also
    Prayers to the families

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 2:07 pm
  • aaaaaaaahhhh im in libitard hell!!!! Holy $h!+ the sins and fence arent enough? Wtf is a lifegaurd gonna do? Be distracted by dozens of jumpers everyday? How can he or she watch over the law abiding swimmers? Why and how is it the countys fault? I blame the parents! And the actual jumpers for avoiding every obsticle that tells you not to do this! And nobody else!

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 1:47 pm
  • I lived on circle drive three houses from where the teen was pulled from the water. The official statement from the county’s medical team
    Stated quote!! ” the gentleman who was pulled from the river today has passed away due to the severity of his injuries” unquote!
    Like I said I lived on the river back when the first highschool teen jumped headfirst into the river and was paralyzed from the neck down. I was on the bridge when he jumped. I was over by the redfish restaurant side (where the cyack place is today) everyone was screaming for him not to jump as that side of the bridge is too shallow to even jump in let alone dive. It’s about waist deep and that’s at high tide! The other side is deep enough even at low tide. But it’s also where the boats must travel as the other side is too shallow for them also! When I was there the entire bridge was made of wood with a steel grate in the middle of the road part that the cars crossed.
    This is such a waste of a life just in its early days
    Yes I jumped off of the bridge a fair amount of times. But I always waited for close to a high tide
    And made sure there wasn’t a boat about to come through.
    I’ve read that people are saying he didn’t jump he was pulled under by the current of the river. It’s highly unlikely. The current going there under the bridge is a bit strong. But not by any means going to sweep a person away let alone pull them under. The strongest current of anyday there is when the tide is receding (going out). I’ve been in the water at the bridge at those times. Yes it is pretty strong and to swim upriver from the bridge
    Is not real easy. What immediately did would be to swim to the side of the river. If you get over to the Rogers park side, you can walk to that beach as its only waist deep if your an average teenager it isn’t hard at all
    It is horrible to have these happen ! Like I said in 1972 or 73 I don’t remember the year, but I’ll never forget the day this teen dove in head first hit bottom then floated up to the surface unconscious, thankfully people ran into the shallow water and got him up to the beach waiting for an ambulance
    My opinion and only mine
    Is if the park could put up a fairly low diving board at the other side of Rogers park and have the area dug to a depth where there wouldn’t be a risk like jumping from the bridge is. Just like parking they could sell wristbands to use it
    That should help with lifeguards along with the parking!
    Now days I live up in the Florida Panhandle but would give almost anything to get into a riverfront home there again!

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 1:25 pm
  • Its called personal responsibility for your actions. There’s a swim area roped off at Roger’s Park yet people go outside the roped off area into the boating lanes to swim and stand. The county fenced off the bridge and people find away around the fencing. There just aren’t enough warning labels to stop us from taking chances.

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 12:13 pm
  • They could build a safe structure for kids to jump off of so they won’t feel the need to jump off the bridge.

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 12:12 pm
  • Ann so sorry for your loss my prayers are witn you and your whole family

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 10:26 am
  • He didn’t jump.. The mother said he swam out to get a ball and got pulled under by the current

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 10:21 am
  • Witnesses have said he dived off the bridge and he was a tall young man so he hit bottom and broke his neck

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 8:52 am
  • why is everyone blaming the bridge or that the fence isnt high enough or its not electrified? seriously? people stop and think before mashing that keyboard thing in front of you. as kids and teens my friends and i jumped from that bridge hundreds of times and nobody I know got killed or hurt. Obviously it happened but I know for a fact people drown in pools in this county every year. Its sad its tragic its unfortunate but if it was that dangerous and deadly it would of happened often. Go there and sit during a a normal weekend youll see kids teens and adults jumping and not getting hurt. Some people are even saying he didnt jump. If he wasnt a strong swimmer or cracked his head. Theres so many variables. You can play the blame game all you want but reality is some ones son is now gone and maybe we should learn from it instead of pointing fingers at the evil jumping spot.

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 8:34 am
  • yes he did jump from the bridge and you want a solution…. PUT A LIFE GUARD AT THE PARK !!!! OR IS THAT TO EASY..???????

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 7:41 am
  • He didnt jump from the bridge

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 6:21 am
  • Such a horrible occurrence ?

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 1:40 am
  • Prayers im sorry to hear that sorry for the families lost

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 1:15 am
  • I just got done reading on another post his girlfriend saying that he didn’t jump from the bridge he was playing ball with his two younger brothers and got caught in the current

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 12:22 am
  • Rest in peace young man??my heart is heavy for your family. God bless you and wrap your arms around each one thru their grievances!

Monday, 30 May 2016, 11:25 pm
  • My cousin did not jump he was playing ball with his brothers n the current took him under

Monday, 30 May 2016, 11:22 pm
  • does anyone know who it is or when it will be released

Monday, 30 May 2016, 11:08 pm
  • Justice served. Your an IDIOT For your stupid post. …
    Yes. I Have 2 friends paralyzed by jumping from said BRIDGE….
    They were in their teens when it happened…
    Signs, & a fence doesn’t give you a clue means YOU accept responsibility. Period…..
    Prayers sent for this young man’s family since he sadly passed by his poor choice.
    What a shame……….

Monday, 30 May 2016, 11:04 pm
  • That’s so sad… Rest in peace?

Monday, 30 May 2016, 10:58 pm
  • look people i have been a business owner there for 16 yrs and seen it all. one time this guy was calling his 7 yr old boy a ***** cuz he wouldnt jump parents encourage there kids to jump all day long. the kids line up 20 deep they jump close to boats to get people wet. the new fence made it easier for them to climb. these kids are not doing any thing we wouldnt have done when we were young, but it is our job to protect them from harms way. i called the county parks hundreds of times asking why life guards arent there anymore, this is there response they cant get nobody to work because they dont pay life guards enough and its cheaper to put signs up swim at on risk yet they still charge for parking. look we need supervision to have control but the county doesnt want to spend the money they make from park. get on your county commissioner ass. today i seen 3 deputy on 1 boat why werent they separated im not saying that they would have caught this but there would have been a better chance. our deputy do a great job but 3 on 1 boat thats a lot of money being wasted. its sad for the family to go through this because its cheaper to put signs up instead of supervision.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 10:06 pm
  • Tragic. Does anyone know his name?

Monday, 30 May 2016, 9:59 pm
  • I had a adult almost land in my boat. Then he wanted to fight me. Play stupid games win stupid prizes!

Monday, 30 May 2016, 9:21 pm
  • I was there, 3 doors down and the boy hit his head, supposedly breaking his neck after diving into water from the bridge. There is a reason people are not allowed to jump from bridge and should follow the rules because as youcan see, you never know what can happen! Very sad day for the boys family. Watch yourkids and follow the rules.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 9:06 pm
  • Kids do dangerous things. Some pay for it very dearly. It’s very sad. Prayers to the family.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 9:01 pm
  • There is a sign that says do not jump of the bridge there all of you people who wanna argue the fact the bridge is safe news flash a kid just died it isn’t safe and thats why their is a sign

Monday, 30 May 2016, 8:58 pm
  • Comment: I’ve always been hoping you read all comments before you allow them post. I guess I’m wrong as you are for letting this garbage on line. But this my friend is beneath your standards for publicly posting!. Why would you not filter this ?, Are you enjoying the confrontations on this thread that this creates? I really thought you and your site had more class, after a family lost their child just for having fun. You never took chances as a child??, He paid the price for being stupid!!, The ultimate Price!! Why don’t you respect the family? For this person to say this is cold hearted and disrespectful !!, and for you posting this ONE’S persons opinion, YOU are now the same. Be more respectful, and thank GOD it was not your child, or in your family.

Justice served
    May 30, 2016 7:16 pm 7:16 pm

Maybe one day something will cut through the stupid. Signs that say don’t jump barbed wire and chain link fencing to stop you and you still jump and hopefully die. Wasting people’s time and taxpayers money to hall their sorry *** to the hospital.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 8:23 pm
  • I watch them jump off every weds as I sing at the Bar there. So sad. But the reality of it is if they build a cage the kids will just jump off the top of it. I know this cause I used to be a kid. Again so very very sad.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 8:21 pm
  • So sad…the HCSO can not be there 24/7… But there has to be a way to block that off completely. Something…..let’s put our heads together on this…..

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:57 pm
  • Why don’t they build a cage like the one over the trail over 50? Oh, I know money, that is too often the reason. We all thought we were invincible at that and most of us were just lucky , others not so much. Really sad.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:48 pm
  • HCSO just updated.The victim has passed.Sorry to all concerned.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:45 pm
  • Years ago a teen was paralyzed jumping from that bridge back in the late 70s. I know because I was there. That is why the fence was put up. It’s not only dangerous, but the current is swift at times. You literally have to jump in the perfect spot. I pray they find a way to keep this from happening. So tragic…prayers going up…

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:44 pm
    • that fence didnt go up back at that time. thats nonsense. jumped off it plenty to know when the fence went up..lol if you do a cannonball its one thing but if you do a swan dive you can easily hit hard. it is tragic and it is unfortunate but there are inherent risks just living. the hundreds of thousands of times people have jumped from that short bridge its bound to happen. probably more dangerous to drive down us19 honestly but we do that.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 8:05 pm
  • RIP

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:24 pm
  • Sending prayers

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:17 pm
  • He died ..

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:16 pm
  • Electrify it. Kids have came feet away from jumping in our boat. I hope this young man is ok.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:11 pm
  • There was a paralysis years ago from jumping off that very bridge.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:09 pm
  • Someone in his family on a Facebook site just said she’s the aunt n he passed away

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:05 pm
  • Rip

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:02 pm
  • I was there he jumped off and hit his head on a rock

Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:44 pm
  • It’s TOO SHALLOW to jump from that bridge they need to block the whole thing off

Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:36 pm
  • That fence is there to try to prevent people from jumping off that bridge
    for a REASON!
    This is not the first time someone was injured or killed for jumping off that bridge.
    If you lived here for many many years, you already know that.
    My son had a good friend who jumped from that bridge MANY years ago,
    and he has been in a wheelchair ever since, paralyzed from the neck down!!

WAKE UP PEOPLE, READ THE SIGN, NO JUMPING FROM BRIDGE!!
    If you choose to break the rules, YOU CHOOSE THE CONSEQUENCES!!!

Prayers for the boy & his family.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:33 pm
    • I was raised on that river, the young man I believe your referring to was about my age when that happened, (Hackney??) my parents were Adamant about us not jumping off that bridge and thats when you had some depth under it and could count on the tides. Im just sick that this river has suffered so much from all the sand they have brought in for the the park. Not to mention SWIFT mud pulling from this beautiful river. Either way its much more shallow than I’ve ever seen. I know you think you have the world by the tail when your young, its just sad you dont have the for-thought to realize those signs are there because of past accidents even deaths. God Bless the family, Im sure this is hell for them. Prayers.

Wednesday, 1 June 2016, 8:42 am
  • I hope and pray the boy will be alright. Sad to hear someone so young make a bad choice jumping from that bridge. Many people have jumped from that bridge. Yes, some have been okay, but many have died or become paralyzed. The bridge needs to be off limits and kids need to know its not safe or smart.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:29 pm
  • I’ve come under that bridge and had kids jump off within INCHES of my boat! Complained to the county numerous times and nothing is ever done. So very sad.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:27 pm
  • I been dear many time these kids just NOT listen when they are told not to be up there. Sending prayers to him and family.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:24 pm
  • Our prayers are with you Little man my heart goes out to you and your family I pray to God that you are ok I wish I could have found you since I was rite there by the bridge

Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:10 pm
  • BADDOG SPOT ON I USED TO JUMP OFF THE STICKLE BRIDGE IN NEWARK INTO THE PASSAIC RIVER OF DIESEL FUEL 🙁

Monday, 30 May 2016, 5:57 pm
  • OMG so terrible just as summer is to start and be fun! Sending prayers to the boy and his family ? and friends

Monday, 30 May 2016, 5:35 pm
  • So sad. At that age, we all thought we were invincible.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 5:35 pm
  • thank you God for putting this off duty nurse in the area to attempt CPR. Hope he recovers.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 5:29 pm
  • He probably got caught on the fencing that blocks people from jumping off the bridge. Remove the fencing and we will have no more fatalities in the future! Only thousands of people have jumped off that bridge and never got hurt.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 5:27 pm
    • I know of two severe spinal cord injuries that resulted in paralysis and one death. Many others have been hurt. I have seen it first hand too many times in the 45 years I have lived here. The injuries have decreased since the fencing. If anything, they should grease the fencing!

Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:54 pm
      • when i was younger we would jump off that bridge all the time. we never got injured. things happen. had a lady at work fall in a bathroom hit her head on the handicap rail and died as a result. If it was never there it would of never happened so does that mean handicap rails are dangerous? adult and kids jumped off the tree at weeki wachee preserve for decades and thousands of people made it just fine each year but last year one person panicked fell straight and hit his head and they cut the tree down. guess what people jump off the stump now its just 5ft less now. people screw up. you cant always blame objects. terrible it happened but face reality.

Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:58 pm
        • FoodforThought, have you ever considered taking an English class or hiring a tutor? Your grammar, syntax and lack of punctuation is embarrassing. It’s hard to make a serious point when you have a 4th grade reading level. Just a little food for thought.

Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 10:33 am
  • Maybe the fence needs to electrified

Monday, 30 May 2016, 5:16 pm