Hit-and-Run Injures Wheelchair-Bound Victim, Airlifted to Trauma Center

UPDATE: 1/1/2017, 9:02 P.M. – RNRF has now received information that today’s injury crash involving a wheelchair-bound victim may have actually been a hit-and-run.

The only vehicle description provided at this time is a white Toyota Camry with front end damage.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

ORIGINAL REPORT:

BROOKSVILLE – Fire Rescue is on the scene of an accident involving a wheelchair-bound victim in front of Oak Park Apartments located on Hale Ave.

Sources say the female victim may have sustained a broken leg among other injuries and will be airlifted to a local trauma center for treatment.

A landing zone has been established at the Family Dollar located on Broad Street near Lamar Ave.

The cause of the accident is under investigation.

15823038_1341164029258840_3627593604197833409_n

hit-and-run-with-injuries

Comments
  • Where are all the folks who were making disgusting comments???? SULFURICMIST ???? READ TO YOUR FRIENDS ” ELDERLY WOMAN, LIFE THREATENING INJURIES, RITICAL CONDITION”. HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF THIS WAS YOUR MOTHER, GRANDMOTHER??? WOULD YOU STILL BEGRUDGE THEM MEDICAL CARE, MED FLIGHT TO TRAUMA CENTER???? I BELIEVE YOU NEED TO GROW UP & TRY USING A BRAIN CELL NOT YOUR BIG MOUTH ( OR FAT FINGER IN THIS CASE)

Monday, 2 January 2017, 5:25 pm
    • Unbelievable STOP, way to hard on Sulfuricmist , he is one of the kindest posters on here. You have bullied him enough. THANK YOU. AND NO I DON’T KNOW THIS PERSON. Have a nice New Year and continue to pray for the injured lady.

Monday, 2 January 2017, 9:32 pm
      • SMH….
        Thank you.
        My prayers continue.

Tuesday, 3 January 2017, 11:26 am
    • Oh gosh you were beautiful in the 1800s love ya stay away from the cows and turtles

Wednesday, 4 January 2017, 3:20 pm
  • Prayers for this victim of yet another worthless persons careless and uncaring driving., who does that?? Critical condition, so OBVIOUSLY she had more than a broken leg, only thing important is she survives, gets all the care she deserves and prayers.. Sorry for her family and friends. When they catch the driver and they will, may they get put away for attempted murder with a deadly weapon. . No sympathy for this cowardly act. Someone knows this car and driver, do the right thing!!!

Monday, 2 January 2017, 12:59 pm
  • Yes Mike , they have a speed dial button on the new Obama phone for life flight. I can use it to get food deliveries!!

Monday, 2 January 2017, 8:40 am
    • On my way with 2 large pepperoni & mushroom pizza’s Tonster!! & yes, we DO take food stamps! Have ur Medicaid card ready for delivery payment

Monday, 2 January 2017, 5:32 pm
  • Get a pre pay obama care free flight card its the new thing.

Monday, 2 January 2017, 7:15 am
  • You people who comment need to think first. Downing the person for where she MAY LIVE. She’s in a wheel chair…Hellooo…And then commenting on how they make decisions on transportation. Their trained to make these decisions based on the person’s condition. Not to mention she’s in a wheel chair with other medical conditions. Common sense is the most important thing in life. Please get some and think before you comment on here!!!!

Monday, 2 January 2017, 2:25 am
  • I was at the family dollar when she arrived there. To me she looked pretty bad. She had a white blanket over her whole entire body, by the look of it the bystanders though she was deceased. Just praying she is okay. Doesn’t matter where you stay to get good medical care. People it’s a New Year change your mindset.

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 9:25 pm
    • Tell that to all the people who lose their hard earned money to taxes so people like that can eat better than you and have health insurance you can’t afford. I’ll wait. . .

Monday, 2 January 2017, 3:00 pm
      • Just sayin are you a complete idiot? She is laying in a hospital bed in critical condition, HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE EATS, WHAT KIND OF INSURANCE SHE HAS,ETC. YOU ARE PATHETIC, IF YOU THINK MEDICARE AND MEDICAID IS SO GREAT, THEN MAYBE YOU WILL LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO FIND OUT IT ISN’T! WHERE SHE LIVES HAS NO BEARING ON ANY OF THIS GET OFF YOUR JUDGEMENTAL HIGH HORSE AND STOP, PLEASE. You are making a complete fool of yourself. ONE more thing, when you develop medical problems and even possibly end up in a wheelchair, may your memory be good to recall these posts, and possibly feel some remorse. There is HOPE for you, I think. MAYBE NOT. Some people go to their Graves still being an a $$hole.

Monday, 2 January 2017, 5:49 pm
        • I am truly sorry this lady is suffering so and am praying for her recovery. I interpreted the original article incorrectly and didn’t afford the severity of the “other injuries” portion of the sentence. I was thinking of the horrible expense she and her family were facing with a medflight and simply wondering if it was warranted . Unlike some of the postings on here, I meant nothing derogatory to this victim!
          And, UNBELIEVABLE.
          Yes, my friends can all read but, thankfully, they aren’t sarcastic like some who shall remain unnamed!

Monday, 2 January 2017, 6:50 pm
          • SulfuricMist YOU are one of the more civil posters on here, you don’t owe me any explanation . I understood exactly what you were posring, unlike others. Be well, be safe and keep on praying, I will keep her in my prayers. When I posted above it wasn’t for you, that person knows who they are, and hopefully they will learn to have compassion someday. There is always HOPE.

Monday, 2 January 2017, 9:19 pm
  • I too have been noticing every accident the victims , no matter what condition , are being airlifted. The enormity of this is mindboggling. The cost is huge and I’m sure most people can’t cover the cost. I think being airlifted should be for severe trauma. We have adequate hospitals here in county. As this article says ” for a broken leg ” … REALLY????????????????? How much are the txpayers being tagged for these trips???

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 8:34 pm
    • When my husband was airlifted in NC, he was in medicare. Our 20% share for lifeflight was over $26k for a 15 mins flight! Plus the 20% cost of the ambulance transport to the landing zone which was @ the fire station less than a mile away!

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 9:11 pm
      • A gambino on Medicare ? What’s the world coming too? What happen, Sammy the bull get sloppy?does this life flight deliver pizza? I live about a mile from village pizza. Do u think I could drop ur name for some free toppings?

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 9:33 pm
      • People are airlifted to Tampa because we don’t have a trama center at any of our hospitals. If there is internal bleeding our hospitals can’t treat.

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 10:14 pm
      • Do you also think your husband said ” I feel like flying tonight guys, call for airmed transport”???
        This call is made by ambulance attendants in touch usually with a hospital doctor. If hospitals have overload or no space or no specialist available the doctor on call says transport where they can be seen quickly without a wait time of who knows how long. Would you rather he sat around in pain or unable to breathe or WHATEVER and DIE WAITING ?? ALL SERVICERS HAVE PAYMENT PLANS !!

Monday, 2 January 2017, 1:05 am
    • Ruth, DID YOU, LIKE Sulfuricmist, ALSO NOT READ ” BROKEN LEG AMONG OTHER INJURIES ” ???? STOP SPEED READING ( IF you can read !!!) SELECTIVELY.
      AND TO JUSTSAYING, I am on medicare/medicaid & believe me, the medical care is definitely NOT SUPERB!!! HMO management has to be fought with to get NECESSARY EQUIPMENT/TESTING. They want to CHEAP OUT every chance they can.
      HEY GUESS WHAT?? IT WAS A HIT & RUN !!! DO Y’ALL FEEL BETTER NOW???

Monday, 2 January 2017, 12:55 am
      • UNBELIEVABLE, you really are an unbelievable troublemaker. I read your comments to everyone and all you want is confrontation. Grow up!

Monday, 2 January 2017, 9:26 am
        • SulfuricMist, what your friends can’t read themselves????? Maybe instead of writing rude comments on peoples misfortunes you should teach your friends to read. They do have braille editions too. There will never be a perfect medical system as long as the government & insurance companies want to micromanage every breath of our being. BUT, I’m keeping you from TEACHING YOUR FRIENDS TO READ so you don’t have to & you can carry on attacking people in bad situations.

Monday, 2 January 2017, 11:38 am
          • lol gotta love when skanks about their free health insurance to people who pay over a thousand a month for WORSE coverage – because it’s not good enough for them? SMh – can anyone really be THAT selfish?

Monday, 2 January 2017, 2:54 pm
  • My prayers to all involved.

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 7:58 pm
  • An airlift for a broken leg? Isn’t that rather extreme, considering the expense to the patient? I hope she isn’t more severely injured and that she has a quick recovery. Prayers for her and her family.

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 7:07 pm
    • PLEASE! Considering where she lives – I highly doubt she pays anything for all that superb medical care. Must be nice ?

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 8:11 pm
      • How rude! I take offense to your free suburb medical care comment. #1 wheel chair bound, she probably was already disabled and receives MEDICARE @ 80% coverage, making 20% her responsibility. But #2 SOME PEOPLE need the free medical care. Im a widow with 3 children. My husband died of an asthma attack, no life ins, no estate, no NOTHING! if it wasnt for Mediciad, my child would be dead too because she requires medicationto live! Not everyone who receives free health care is milking the system! Some people TRULY NEED IT! Other than medicaid, i recieve NOTHING to help suppirt these kids other than death benefits from SSA. Surely not enough to pay for health insurance on 3 kids!!!! And SUBURP MEDICAL CARE? HAHAHAHA doctors refuse medicaid patients that u end up out if the county for most specialists, many medicaitions arent covered at all (i spend $98 a month for 1 medicine my child MUST HAVE to live even tho she has mediciad), my kids havent even gotten flu shots because the only shot medicaid will cover hasnt been dispersed to doctors offices yet, i walked on a foot with 2 broken bones for 3 months waiting for medicaid to approve the MRI needed to see the breaks, etc. I could go on and on. Dont get me wrong, i appreciate having medical civerage in my kids, but its far from SUPERB most times, especially compared to thenins plans we’ve had thru my husband’s past employers!

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 9:26 pm
        • Gambino, should I feel bad that you pay $98 a month for meds? Does your employer not offer health benefits? I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be a single parent with 3 kids. Yet I don’t understand, your struggle, when many single mom’s make it work and don’t have that additional ssa coming in. Many are forced to work 2 jobs. You said your husband failed to plan for his family in the event of his death, “no life insurance, no estate, no nothing”. How have you planned for your children in the event of your death? Since you blame your husband for your current position in life, you should want to protect your children from the same fate.

Monday, 2 January 2017, 11:09 am
      • You are rude and jealous! She is in a wheelchair and you don’t know what she’s been through in her life so don’t judge, the sun doesn’t rise and set with YOU!

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 10:37 pm
      • That’s a pretty mean thing to say Jill..Just Sayin…

Tuesday, 3 January 2017, 10:01 am
      • Very Mean Jill. JUST SAYIN…

Tuesday, 3 January 2017, 10:03 am
    • SulfuricMist, come out of the mist!! It states “msy have sustained a broken leg AMONG OTHER INJURIES “. She’s already wheelchair bound & it did not state why she is wheelchair bound!!!! Also, doctors & hospitals & ambulance/airlifts have payment plans but I’m sure she has some kind of insurance too. I give you credit though for praying for her quick recovery & family members. THANKYOU. FROM SOMEONE WHO IS ALSO PRAYING FOR HER FAMILY AND THE VICTIM.

MAYBE WE SHOULD START PRAYING ALSO THAT GOD TAKE OVER DRIVING SOME OF THE PEOPLE ON THE ROADS BECAUSE THEY AREN’T DOING TOO GOOD OF A JOB LATELY!!!

Sunday, 1 January 2017, 8:27 pm
    • I lived in this area for years and just because we live there does not mean we don’t work and pay for our own health insurance. Idk why you are worried about where this woman lives and what her medical insurance is, She was in an accident and the car insurance will pay the bill.

Tuesday, 3 January 2017, 8:32 pm