WITNESS: Man Hit by Car Trying to Save Tortoise

SPRING HILL – Just before 1:00 p.m. today RNRF received reports of a hit and run accident, involving a pedestrian at the intersection of Spring Hill Drive and Lema Drive.

We are still waiting on an official report from the Florida Highway Patrol, but according to a witness at the scene, the unidentified victim stepped into the roadway to prevent a tortoise from being run over by oncoming traffic. In an ironic twist, the victim was struck by a vehicle, causing unknown injuries.

There are unconfirmed reports that the vehicle that struck the man fled the scene; however, that information was obtained via the FHP website, not officials.

We will provide an update once officials released a statement.

UPDATE: 10/22/2015, 7:37 P.M. – We have received several comments from viewers who say the accident was not a hit and run and that the victim was treated and released from the hospital. The tortoise reportedly survived as well…

hit run

Interior Large copy

Comments
  • I’ll let a higher power than you SpN judge me, and I’m not worried. See ya

Tuesday, 27 October 2015, 5:04 am
  • To NURSES RATCHET This will be my last post to you so post whatever you want from now on. I think you are a narcissistic person (look it up) and perhaps should get some help. I bid you ado and have a great life. No one will miss you here. Lol baby!!?

Monday, 26 October 2015, 10:25 pm
    • Jana rae…you should really look into English lessons before you add any further public comments…just saying. 🙂

Tuesday, 27 October 2015, 9:07 pm
  • oawaytony…FYI my initial comments were done in response to the ignorant remarks made re: a tortoise and a man (sounds like the start of a joke). Subsequently, you do not need to know a person to know if their comments are ignorant or not…it’s in black & white. My retort has nothing to do about being a snob, it’s about having a brain, as well as my OWN opinion…and the freedom to express this after reading such idiotic remarks that were made at the expense of a man’s unfortunate injury after attempting to assist a tortoise. I also find it interesting that you had nothing to say regarding the original article, yet you (and your buddies) feel you have the right to insult me as a professional…yet, you know nothing about me. Additionally, I have a wonderful proverb I’d like to share with you, “Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.” Please tell me again, who’s the snob? Hope your homeowner’s insurance covers glass repairs. And to Backwoods person…you’re right…you couldn’t have said better, because you couldn’t have said it to begin with.Touche! Lol!

Monday, 26 October 2015, 8:27 pm
  • Thanks goawaytony, couldn’t have said it better

Monday, 26 October 2015, 6:28 pm
  • If ignorance is bliss you must be in heaven

Monday, 26 October 2015, 6:16 pm
  • Sp Nurse, just replying to your ignorant comments about people you know nothing about. My daughter is an RN, thankfully she’s not a snob. Your the one who veered off topic by insulting people.

Monday, 26 October 2015, 5:31 pm
  • Fred or Frank…seems like you forgot what your name is? That’s called Alzheimer’s…need I say more? Backwoods person…your post makes no sense, so I won’t even waste my time with a reply. Jana rae, what does your husbands hobbies, past or present, have to do with the person that was hit while rescuing a tortoise? In the future, when you feel the need to comment, it would truly help if you’d at least try to stay on topic. As I previously stated, ignorance is bliss. And BTW Jana rae…I am a nurse, but don’t worry as I’m sure you’re the epitome (look it up) of health anyway, and I couldn’t imagine you’d ever need more than a little reality check…well, this one’s on the house…you’re very welcome and I’m glad you’re feeling better! Lol!

Sunday, 25 October 2015, 11:13 pm
  • So…did the tortious beat the hare????

Sunday, 25 October 2015, 11:08 pm
  • Well thank you last 3 posters, I myself hope she doesn’t take her high and mighty attitude and fall off her pedestal and break her butt. Hubby fishes,used to hunt, she has no clue , btw, saw a Turtle today and he crossed the road all by himself. I too can afford to shop wherever I want, now go save someone, if you r in fact a nurse,and please Lord don’t ever let her touch me. ÇLueless! Now I feel better,thxguys.

Sunday, 25 October 2015, 5:08 pm
  • I’m posting this while driving down 50 wooo almost hit a construction barrel lol
    Have a great day. Springhillnurse go help a patient n stop your boo hooing

Sunday, 25 October 2015, 12:50 pm
  • I’m replying to your comment as I’m driving down 50 woo almost hit a construction barrel lol spring hill nurse get back to helping patients n stop your boo hooin

Sunday, 25 October 2015, 11:38 am
  • Sp, better than everyone, nurse! I do live in the backwoods, I used to hunt, but still love to fish even though I can afford to shop at publix. Been working probably longer than you’ve been alive. Your the one that is ignorant! The way of life along with the environment has been destroyed here.

Sunday, 25 October 2015, 10:43 am
  • What a bunch of ignorant people we have here…a man tries to save a protected animal and we get these stupid, asinine comments! Why don’t you geniuses worry about not texting and driving so you’d then see a person in the road, or a tortoise. And FYI, we aren’t in the backwoods, we actually have stores that you can buy food to eat…of course you’d need an occupation first. Just sayin! Ignorance is so-so very bliss isn’t it?

Saturday, 24 October 2015, 9:50 pm
  • Well finally someone on here with some brain cells, thanks backwoods , hubby said they used to be good to eat. Lame you got it, I have seen this over and over people don’t care to cause accident to hurt people, just don’t run over the turtle,,

Friday, 23 October 2015, 7:34 pm
  • Screw you Barry. I would have run that tortoise over. So this guy gets hit moving it off the road. If he let it be it would have gone on its way on its own

Friday, 23 October 2015, 5:16 pm
  • Seems to be more gopher turtles around today than back when they were legal to catch, it’s the over development of habitat that caused them to be protected. If I remember right, they were pretty tasty

Friday, 23 October 2015, 5:01 pm
  • This is truly messed up!

Friday, 23 October 2015, 2:12 pm
  • Good News??

Friday, 23 October 2015, 10:01 am
  • Barry your an IDIOT

Friday, 23 October 2015, 9:34 am
  • Barry that’s nonsense no one deserve to be hit. I would do the same thing, drivers just don’t get it. Hurry up to no where.

Friday, 23 October 2015, 8:48 am
  • You guys do some weird s**t aroumd here

Friday, 23 October 2015, 7:20 am
  • he deseves to be run over. Its unlawful to touch these protected animals;

Friday, 23 October 2015, 6:49 am
    • God is watching and listening to you, what an awful thing to say. My Dad was right anyone who hates animals hate people, I guess you are one of them. what an awful human being you are to say that.

Saturday, 24 October 2015, 11:40 pm
  • Happy to hear all is good!!

Thursday, 22 October 2015, 8:07 pm
  • Hit and runs around here seem to be the normal way of life because were reading about them all the time.

Thursday, 22 October 2015, 7:24 pm
  • Prayers for the man trying to do a good deed. Hope he is ok. And if the other driver fled the scene , as is very popular these days , God sees all. Just remember that…….

Thursday, 22 October 2015, 7:18 pm
  • P.S The turtle is fine as well ??

Thursday, 22 October 2015, 6:09 pm
  • Praying they find the scumbag who did this, and more prayers for the man doing a good deed!

Thursday, 22 October 2015, 5:53 pm
  • Just to clarify, it was NOT a hit and run. And the “victim” has been released from the hospital.

Thursday, 22 October 2015, 5:45 pm
  • And another wreck on Deltona and fox chapel no one hurt while school was letting out please slow down your only getting to the mext light first also school lights on police amd people running up on them cursing hurry up to people in front them crazy no sense

Thursday, 22 October 2015, 5:39 pm