Woman Calls 911 for a Ride Home, Deputies Give Her a Ride to Jail Instead

WEEKI WACHEE – A Homosassa woman is charged with misuse of 911, after she called to ask if a deputy could give her a ride back to Citrus County. According to reports, 56-year-old Tammy Sue McCown began calling 911 around 1:20 a.m. Friday, telling operators that she wanted a ride home to Homosassa. Operators told McCown that she would need to call a taxi or someone to pick her up, but she refused to accept that as an answer. McCown continued to make a total of five calls to 911 before a deputy was dispatched to her location.

Deputy Ryan Hoffland responded to the area of Glen Lakes Blvd and Commercial Way, where he made contact with McCown and warned her about her misuse of 911. McCown responded by telling Deputy Hoffland, “I’ll keep calling 911 until I get another deputy that will give me a ride.”

McCown was taken into custody and “given a ride” to the Hernando County Jail, where she later posted a $1,000 bond.

Comments
  • I have a court date in 3 days I sure do need support from ladies that have or are survivors of breast cancer and know what’s it’s like to suffer from chronic pain from mastectomies or how chemo aka poison. We all know that we are frustrated and some have no support and all ladies early detection saves lives

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 10:19 pm
  • No one knows about me before cancer I was in all types of charities and was able to help ppl being that I was in medical field, I give money to the homeless they other day I gave a old man my last $5.00 I now am helping a sick kitten to where I found in bad shape, I have a old dog because her owner had no time for her. On 1/20/15 I was at the library to where I found a lady blue and cold I said to myself I have to start CPR and I did and praying the whole time then medics told me that if she lived it would be because of me I got a call from her 3 months later with a heart filled thank-you. I am a woman with a big heart and integrity, I am from Chicago and I lost everything due to cancer everyone is one catastrophic illness for being on the street I even lost my teeth. I do have other problems besides cancer. All of us as humans need to start helping others out I always did, do and plan on doing what I do best is keep climbing and aid anyone if they need it

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 10:02 pm
  • Do you know she has cancer and just got out of the emergency room and had no one to call and no money? I wonder how all of you look? or Would know someone like that instead of calling her names! I was out of the state when this happened! The fucking cops never offered advice but yet let a sick disoriented lady walk the highway! all of you ‘Everyone thinks they have the answers but they don’t! You bunch of hillbillies have no idea!

Thursday, 7 December 2017, 6:41 pm
    • Why didn’t she have the hospital take her? How did she get to Glen Lakes? And how did much alcohol was involved? I know who arrested her. You need to get the facts before you start chirping.

Friday, 8 December 2017, 9:32 pm
      • Nope and I don’t do drugs and drink I am sick Lee you could survive what I have been through 40 bags chemo, surgeries, 36 rounds of radiation, blood transfusions etc you need to tell your friend he doesn’t know me either and I had no money on me. And I’m dealing with other bad family problems

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 9:16 pm
    • Thank you Nonya this is me what happened was I had a horrible headache and drove myself to Er I pulled over and call 911 to come because I didn’t need to be driving I went to Oakhill who thought I was somewhere else so I left crying and I have been fighting cancer for 11 yr I left the Er and called crying because I was confused, I called 911 for help and the 911 operator asked where I was and I was able to get a ride from them the 2 cops found me got my drivers my ID to run a check and they laughed at me and said they were no taxi then I guess I pocket dialed them and as I was walking in complete darkness I thought I was in Citrus county and I was frightened. I was thrown in jail and I didn’t get my meds so I had seizures I did not get a phone call my family didn’t know where to find me I left the jail beatened and bruised. All this over three 911 calls when being transported to jail the male cop farted and was gross and the female cops told me she had her tits cut off too, all this for three 911 calls they laughed at me jerked me around like a pos, To serve and protect no.

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 9:10 pm
      • Tammy, I am Nonya….terry

Sunday, 17 December 2017, 12:45 pm
        • Lol hell no

Sunday, 17 December 2017, 7:55 pm
          • As to people Nonya means “ none ya business!” Lol

Sunday, 17 December 2017, 8:40 pm
  • She’s so ugly they sent the dog catcher to take her to jail !!!!

Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 12:15 pm
    • Oh my, we have dog catchers here? Could have fooled me, front and back yard covered in dog poo and I don’t have a dog. Yes they run loose all day long. Thx 4 info😃

Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 2:47 pm
  • Can’t fix stupid. Probably drunk . How did she get to Hernando?? Glad they did something. Maybe when she sobers up she’ll phone a friend !! This took time and attention from real emergencies…

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 3:24 pm
    • you are no lady!

Thursday, 7 December 2017, 10:44 pm

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 11:10 pm
  • Well, she is persistent that I’ll give her.

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 3:11 pm
  • Sorry but if they had time to arrest, do all the paperwork and bring her to jail, they could have brought her home! She probably didn’t have the high cost of taxi. I’m not condoning calling 911 for a ride but where’s our humanity? We used to have it .

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 2:51 pm
    • she paid the $100 bond…ao she could afford it…and probably would have been cheaper since she probably called one after bonding out….or maybe should have given her your # to provide a public service to a drunk

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 3:33 pm
    • I’m sure you have another smart comment if that deputy did take her home and was unavailable to respond to an actual emergency.

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 3:47 pm
    • Annie if the lady was able to get to where she was at why couldn’t she find her way home without calling 911. Having the police department be a taxi service is a horrible waste of counting money. This lady should not count on the system to be her transportation she has two feet she could have walked. I agree with Clyde if you feel so compelled to make sure this lady has transportation to look her up give her your phone number and have her call you whenever she needs a ride

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 5:28 pm
      • I drove myself to hospital and pulled over I had a horrible headache and called for help yes 911, I was so sick I didn’t feel them unable to start a IV because I was sick I was confused, broke and tired from all my shit I had to do with cancer and chemo, I hope none of the haters on here gets cancer because it’s HELL

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 9:35 pm
      • You are a idiot and you don’t know what really happened

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 11:18 pm
    • Give the sheriff’s office your telephone number so they can refer those type of calls to your house. Then you could pick her up and drive her to wherever she was going to go.

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 5:31 pm
      • I couldn’t agree more….some people only sit on their brains, they don’t use them!

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 6:13 pm
    • Yes your absolutely right! Cops can sit at a parking lot chatting with other cops wasting gas and time …when they could be patrolling streets where the speed limit is 25 not 55!!! How about that! That’s so frustrating…. But, what do I know ? I’m just one person in a state that could give 2 craps about laws!!

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 5:56 pm
      • How do you know that they are just “sitting in their cars wasting gas and time”? They could be discussing business. They do patrol the streets, why don’t you check out the Sheriff’s web page and see just how many traffic stops the HCSO make each and every month…wait…you won’t have to go and check it out…you may get lost…..OVER THREE THOUSAND EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!!

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 6:12 pm
      • and there lies the problem….you…..gosh….see your kid in the back of a police car one day

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 8:30 pm
      • If you don’t like it here go back to what ever rock you crawled out from under .

Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 8:13 am
      • Thank you I really think that there are some horrible ppl in this world and I’m glad you are one of the good ones

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 9:45 pm
    • Thank you I had no money, I had to walk on the road in complete darkness and I was sick but was horrible cops get by with this and some of them have no integrity I’m battling cancer and they don’t care

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 9:26 pm
    • Thank you Annie Tanner you are right. This story from my arrest is so wrong

Saturday, 16 December 2017, 11:13 pm
  • Some people are so stupid I’m surprised They don’t need oxygen tanks to remember how to breathe They should keep her

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 2:34 pm
    • Carbon dioxide is the gas that triggers our body to “remember to breathe”

Thursday, 7 December 2017, 1:29 pm
  • Now, is stupid, really stupid. How about a week on highway weed patrol.

Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 2:26 pm